Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Youngster Liam Gibbs 06:41 - Jun 13 with 8526 viewsUpthetown1970

I have been informed that Aston Villa, Brighton, Norwich and Rangers are interested in Gibbs. I fear we could lose this very talented youngster as I believe his contract expires at the end of the month.
Youngster Liam Gibbs on 19:33 - Jun 13 with 1572 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 19:04 - Jun 13 by Churchman

We are paying for not bothering to go for Category One. All this ‘we fell just short’ is tripe. If we’d wanted it, we’d have invested more than required and made sure. It’s simple, invest or have your best young players removed for peanuts.

If the new owners are serious, this is the first area to put proper money into. If they’re not prepared or financially able to do this, collapse it and stop wasting money on it.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2021 19:36]

I’m not sure category 1 status is much use if the best you can offer is League 1 football.

Poll: On 14th April 2020, will we be

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 21:40 - Jun 13 with 1479 viewsUpthetown1970

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 13:31 - Jun 13 by PhilTWTD

Wouldn't surprise me. I thought he was the outstanding player in the Youth Cup games I saw.

Would be great if you could get an answer from the club regarding Gibbs as it looks like lots of people interested whether the club can get him to agree a contract.
Youngster Liam Gibbs on 12:38 - Jun 14 with 1272 viewsStokieBlue

The compensation system is incredibly poor.

They can stick with the small fee but it should be something like 50% sell-on clause for the club that developed the youngster.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 12:52 - Jun 14 with 1213 viewsPhilTWTD

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 12:51 - Jun 13 by Upthetown1970

Hes definitely a player we should be fighting to keep. What club had you been told is the front runner. Hope Mr Ashton is speaking with him and his agents

Southampton were the club I'd heard were most interested a while back but seems Leeds and Brighton are most keen now, along with Rangers. Norwich interest hasn't gone beyond sending scouts to the FA Youth Cup games, I'm told.
Youngster Liam Gibbs on 12:54 - Jun 14 with 1197 viewsrayman_10

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 12:52 - Jun 14 by PhilTWTD

Southampton were the club I'd heard were most interested a while back but seems Leeds and Brighton are most keen now, along with Rangers. Norwich interest hasn't gone beyond sending scouts to the FA Youth Cup games, I'm told.

What’s your gut saying Phil will he stay or leave?

If what you report is correct, which I always trust, and he is keen to stay… I don’t get what the problem can be? Surely we can offer a decent enough contract for a young player who is keen to stay.

COYB

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 12:59 - Jun 14 with 1173 viewsPhilTWTD

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 12:54 - Jun 14 by rayman_10

If what you report is correct, which I always trust, and he is keen to stay… I don’t get what the problem can be? Surely we can offer a decent enough contract for a young player who is keen to stay.

I don't know, to be honest. From what I was told a while back the contract had been offered and there was what seemed to be the usual turning down of the initial terms but I expected it to get done with a bit of to-ing and fro-ing. However, nothing has developed and the impasse seems to be continuing with his contract up soon and clubs eyeing his situation and ready to swoop.
Youngster Liam Gibbs on 13:01 - Jun 14 with 1159 viewsitfcjoe

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 12:54 - Jun 14 by rayman_10

The issue is if he isn't going to be pushing on to first team next year, he's going to be playing Cat 2 U23 games which isn't ideal - or go to a Cat 1 club and play a much higher standard, and if it is someone like Brighton they have a couple of sister clubs to arrange loans for etc.

We are light years behind in things like this, and will take time to catch up

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 13:04 - Jun 14 with 1141 viewsPhilTWTD

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 13:01 - Jun 14 by itfcjoe

The issue is if he isn't going to be pushing on to first team next year, he's going to be playing Cat 2 U23 games which isn't ideal - or go to a Cat 1 club and play a much higher standard, and if it is someone like Brighton they have a couple of sister clubs to arrange loans for etc.

We are light years behind in things like this, and will take time to catch up

Not him angling for a move though, which you could understand from the angle of what you're saying, club just don't appear to be making too much effort to keep him, which surprises me.
Login to get fewer ads

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 13:09 - Jun 14 with 1106 viewsitfcjoe

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 13:04 - Jun 14 by PhilTWTD

Not him angling for a move though, which you could understand from the angle of what you're saying, club just don't appear to be making too much effort to keep him, which surprises me.

We seem to be going very, very short termist on things - very reminiscent of when ROy Keane came in and there was an attempt to rip things up and start again.

Obviously that went terribly, and put us back years - hopefully the same doesn't happen now but the baby out with the bathwater approach is OTT

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 13:14 - Jun 14 with 1072 viewsPhilTWTD

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 13:09 - Jun 14 by itfcjoe

We seem to be going very, very short termist on things - very reminiscent of when ROy Keane came in and there was an attempt to rip things up and start again.

Obviously that went terribly, and put us back years - hopefully the same doesn't happen now but the baby out with the bathwater approach is OTT

Bit reminiscent of Rhodes's exit, isn't it? Club going on to bigger and better things so can let young players in that sort of position go. Agree, and am surprise they're not pulling out more stops to keep him.
Youngster Liam Gibbs on 13:27 - Jun 14 with 987 viewsitfcjoe

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 13:14 - Jun 14 by PhilTWTD

Bit reminiscent of Rhodes's exit, isn't it? Club going on to bigger and better things so can let young players in that sort of position go. Agree, and am surprise they're not pulling out more stops to keep him.

It feels to me a bit like what is already here isn't being given the correct opportunity for how much hard work and development time we've spent on them.

I know Adam Webster turned out to be a good signing, but just tossing Matt Clarke aside to bring him in seemed short sighted, in hindsight probably was a decent decision.....but only because it worked out.

Wonder where we'll end up come first day of the season, but if there is limited academy players involved in first team squad I can't pretend it won't be a huge disappointment

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 13:29 - Jun 14 with 966 viewsPhilTWTD

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 13:27 - Jun 14 by itfcjoe

It feels to me a bit like what is already here isn't being given the correct opportunity for how much hard work and development time we've spent on them.

I know Adam Webster turned out to be a good signing, but just tossing Matt Clarke aside to bring him in seemed short sighted, in hindsight probably was a decent decision.....but only because it worked out.

Wonder where we'll end up come first day of the season, but if there is limited academy players involved in first team squad I can't pretend it won't be a huge disappointment

Particularly with so much positivity around the U18s following the cup run and with Gibbs the best player in that side. It may just be something which has slipped down the list, of course, and will be addressed before the deadline.
Youngster Liam Gibbs on 13:30 - Jun 14 with 952 viewsStokieBlue

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 13:27 - Jun 14 by itfcjoe

"Wonder where we'll end up come first day of the season, but if there is limited academy players involved in first team squad I can't pretend it won't be a huge disappointment"

What if they aren't seen as good enough though? I think the time is long past where we continually push players into the first team squad just because they are from the academy.

What is "the correct opportunity"?

Gibbs is obviously very good and we should be doing all we can to keep him but would he be in the first team squad next season anyway?

SB
[Post edited 14 Jun 2021 13:41]

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 13:46 - Jun 14 with 874 viewshype313

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 13:30 - Jun 14 by StokieBlue

"Wonder where we'll end up come first day of the season, but if there is limited academy players involved in first team squad I can't pretend it won't be a huge disappointment"

What if they aren't seen as good enough though? I think the time is long past where we continually push players into the first team squad just because they are from the academy.

Gibbs is obviously very good and we should be doing all we can to keep him but would he be in the first team squad next season anyway?

SB

But that type of short termism is going to be so detrimental to us in the long run, essentially we're saying if they are no use to us this coming season we might aswell be shot of them.

Whilst lots of youngsters show promise and nothing really materializes, sometimes with a gem like Gibbs, you have to take the longer approach, we are in such a better position to offer better terms and a better environment, we should be pulling out all the stops IMO.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 13:49 - Jun 14 with 860 viewsStokieBlue

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 13:46 - Jun 14 by hype313

But that type of short termism is going to be so detrimental to us in the long run, essentially we're saying if they are no use to us this coming season we might aswell be shot of them.

Whilst lots of youngsters show promise and nothing really materializes, sometimes with a gem like Gibbs, you have to take the longer approach, we are in such a better position to offer better terms and a better environment, we should be pulling out all the stops IMO.

I don't think I've advocated any short-termism, I've simply said that perhaps we should be less focused (I'd say obsessed and I've been guilty of this as well) in having our youth products in the first team squad as soon as possible.

We should be keeping Gibbs and all our youngsters who show promise.

However they should be moved into the first team squad when they are ready rather than arbitrarily saying it's disappointing if there aren't any academy products in the squad next season.

SB

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 13:58 - Jun 14 with 828 viewstractorboy1978

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 13:49 - Jun 14 by StokieBlue

I don't think I've advocated any short-termism, I've simply said that perhaps we should be less focused (I'd say obsessed and I've been guilty of this as well) in having our youth products in the first team squad as soon as possible.

However they should be moved into the first team squad when they are ready rather than arbitrarily saying it's disappointing if there aren't any academy products in the squad next season.

SB

There is definitely this expectation they can go from youth football straight into our first team. We need to be better at getting them decent loans. It is something we have really failed at down the years. How many players have we sent out to the wrong clubs or not at all?
Youngster Liam Gibbs on 14:01 - Jun 14 with 824 viewshype313

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 13:49 - Jun 14 by StokieBlue

SB

But I haven't said we should have our youth products in the first team as a soon as possible.

Think we have both been guilty of putting words in each others mouths.

Whilst we all want our club to essentially be home grown, I think we all realise that's a pipe dream, and we have seen on many occasions that we hype up these players, who in turn, don't tend to reach the levels us fans had hoped for.

But in this particular case it's different as he is clearly a gifted talent, I would like to think we wouldn't be promising a first team role next season, but certainly a pathway in a forward thinking environment.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 14:11 - Jun 14 with 795 viewsStokieBlue

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 14:01 - Jun 14 by hype313

But I haven't said we should have our youth products in the first team as a soon as possible.

Think we have both been guilty of putting words in each others mouths.

Whilst we all want our club to essentially be home grown, I think we all realise that's a pipe dream, and we have seen on many occasions that we hype up these players, who in turn, don't tend to reach the levels us fans had hoped for.

But in this particular case it's different as he is clearly a gifted talent, I would like to think we wouldn't be promising a first team role next season, but certainly a pathway in a forward thinking environment.

I know you've not said that, I was replying to Joe who said it would be "hugely disappointing" if there were no academy products in the first team squad next season.

My original and subsequent replies were in the context of that statement.

I think we are in agreement about Gibbs and probably in general agreement about how players should progress when they are ready.

SB

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 14:28 - Jun 14 with 757 viewsitfcjoe

Youngster Liam Gibbs on 13:30 - Jun 14 by StokieBlue

SB

But we can see that they are 'good enough', quite clearly in the case of Dozzell, Downes and Woolfenden, quite probably in the case of Dobra, maybe Kenlock to an extent - and then there are numerous below them in likes of Ndaba, Baggott, Simpson, etc.

If Dozzell doesn't suit Cook's style which can quite easily be argued then he may need to be sacrificed, he's probably too old to now be left as a club development project if he doesn't suit the manager.

Downes may want to go and get his wish.....and hard to see him staying if that is the case.

There might be interest in Woolfie and we lose him, but we've not seen the best of him after sticking him next to incompetents last year.

But then we end up in the position, as we often do, where each individual decision on it's own can be justified, but the overall effect on it is damaging for many areas at the club. The local feel of it, the people those in the academy can point to as examples of what can be achieved, players who have the club in their blood....etc.

I personally think it is important that the club represents the town/county as well, with players that are from here, or have been here forever - it is important for the club, all our best teams have had players from the youth system front and centre in them.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024