Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( 13:42 - Oct 15 with 6816 viewsWacko

https://news.sky.com/story/conservative-mp-david-amess-stabbed-multiple-times-in

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 18:21 - Oct 15 with 1504 viewsSwansea_Blue

Horrendous. RIP and thoughts with his family and friends.

wtf is happening to this country?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 18:23 - Oct 15 with 1506 viewswkj

Devastating state of affairs when people are [feel] compelled to do this.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 20:11]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 19:02 - Oct 15 with 1414 viewslowhouseblue

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 18:23 - Oct 15 by wkj

"people are compelled to do this" ??????

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 19:04 - Oct 15 with 1405 viewsGlasgowBlue

Compelled. What the actual F?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 19:04 - Oct 15 with 1406 viewsDarth_Koont

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 19:02 - Oct 15 by lowhouseblue

"people are compelled to do this" ??????

Yes. For whatever reason, mental issues and/or political extremism the attacker felt compelled to do it.

Pronouns: He/Him

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 19:06 - Oct 15 with 1394 viewsDarth_Koont

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 19:04 - Oct 15 by GlasgowBlue

Compelled. What the actual F?

I think you’re reading this wrong.

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 19:08 - Oct 15 with 1380 viewslowhouseblue

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 19:04 - Oct 15 by Darth_Koont

Yes. For whatever reason, mental issues and/or political extremism the attacker felt compelled to do it.

in which case it is very badly expressed and could certainly do with an edit

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 19:09 - Oct 15 with 1372 viewsDarth_Koont

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 19:08 - Oct 15 by lowhouseblue

in which case it is very badly expressed and could certainly do with an edit

No. It’s a tragedy all round.

Login to get fewer ads

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 19:10 - Oct 15 with 1352 viewslowhouseblue

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 19:09 - Oct 15 by Darth_Koont

No. It’s a tragedy all round.

compelled means forced or obliged.

the fact that you are trying to start an argument about this makes me certain this is not now a thread i want to stay on.

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 19:11 - Oct 15 with 1342 viewsDarth_Koont

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 19:10 - Oct 15 by lowhouseblue

the fact that you are trying to start an argument about this makes me certain this is not now a thread i want to stay on.

FFS.

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 19:21 - Oct 15 with 1292 viewsGlasgowBlue

Lovely tribute from Andy Burnham.

It’s worth remembering that our political opponents aren’t sub human scum. They don’t deserve to be lynched. They just have different political opinions.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 19:21 - Oct 15 with 1294 viewsfactual_blue

Whether it be mental health issues that drove or compelled the alleged perpetrator to do this, or something else that drove or compelled them to it (a personal grudge, religion, politics) remains to be seen.

Whilst 'compelled' isn't the word I'd have chosen, only the hard of thinking would make an issue of your selection of words.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 19:27 - Oct 15 with 1249 viewswkj

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 19:21 - Oct 15 by factual_blue

Whether it be mental health issues that drove or compelled the alleged perpetrator to do this, or something else that drove or compelled them to it (a personal grudge, religion, politics) remains to be seen.

Whilst 'compelled' isn't the word I'd have chosen, only the hard of thinking would make an issue of your selection of words.

Surely one who would stab someone multiple times would feel some form of compulsion.

Crybaby

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 19:29 - Oct 15 with 1234 viewsfactual_blue

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 19:27 - Oct 15 by wkj

Surely one who would stab someone multiple times would feel some form of compulsion.

It's a question of semantics that really doesn't matter. You described his probable motivation with a perfectly acceptable word, but the most precious would probably take it the wrong way.

I have no problem with it.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 19:31 - Oct 15 with 1221 viewsDarth_Koont

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 19:29 - Oct 15 by factual_blue

It's a question of semantics that really doesn't matter. You described his probable motivation with a perfectly acceptable word, but the most precious would probably take it the wrong way.

I have no problem with it.

Indeed. I think we should move on.

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 20:03 - Oct 15 with 1060 viewswkj

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 19:10 - Oct 15 by lowhouseblue

I am not trying to start an argument at all. People who commit violent crimes are often feeling a strong urge or compulsion to act in a moment.

As factors has touched upon, it is more a case of semantics not sitting well than any undertones. It isn't hard to find evidence on TWTD of myself being very engaged in helping people without prejudice - so the implication that I am trying to start an argument about something that wasn't said is quite unfair, what was said was a word that is very pervasive in discussions around violent crime.

Crybaby

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 20:15 - Oct 15 with 1015 viewsHARRY10

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 19:21 - Oct 15 by GlasgowBlue

It’s worth remembering that our political opponents aren’t sub human scum. They don’t deserve to be lynched. They just have different political opinions.

I don't think anyone one has stated they do.

And total condemnation of any kind of violence I would have thought was taken as read

.......................apparently not, it would seem
There was a phrase..... on 20:32 - Oct 15 with 979 viewsBloots

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 20:15 - Oct 15 by HARRY10

I don't think anyone one has stated they do.

And total condemnation of any kind of violence I would have thought was taken as read

.......................apparently not, it would seem

....being used on here very frequently just a few months ago, which certainly wasn't condemning violence against your political "enemies".

It was encouraging it.

This place is hardly a hotbed compared to other social media outlets, but it even infiltrated here.

RIP.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 20:34 - Oct 15 with 954 viewsHARRY10

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 19:27 - Oct 15 by wkj

I would have thought that every action each of us takes is motivated by some 'compulsion', or other so it is a pretty meaningless comment.

If you are suggesting that circumstances had put him in a position where this was a necessary act, then i would suggest it is more likely a 'flaw' on his ability to think rationally.

As I cannot see where stabbing to death an MP is any proportionate response - as i would think it was as an MP that David Amess was murdered, rather than as some social contact.

I would hope that this is seen as a 'one off', rather than a need for draconian measures in response. And to recognise that it is almost impossible to legislate or physically protect against this - without a far greater loss to how we live.

That does and should not however, diminish the loss of a husband, father, friend ................ who lost his life through serving others as a Member of Parliament.
Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 20:42 - Oct 15 with 923 viewswkj

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 20:34 - Oct 15 by HARRY10

I would have thought that every action each of us takes is motivated by some 'compulsion', or other so it is a pretty meaningless comment.

If you are suggesting that circumstances had put him in a position where this was a necessary act, then i would suggest it is more likely a 'flaw' on his ability to think rationally.

As I cannot see where stabbing to death an MP is any proportionate response - as i would think it was as an MP that David Amess was murdered, rather than as some social contact.

I would hope that this is seen as a 'one off', rather than a need for draconian measures in response. And to recognise that it is almost impossible to legislate or physically protect against this - without a far greater loss to how we live.

That does and should not however, diminish the loss of a husband, father, friend ................ who lost his life through serving others as a Member of Parliament.

Indeed. There was no suggestions beyond the raw text of the post I originally made. The time I originally posted was shortly after the news hit and raw emotion and sadness gave way to unintended ambiguity in how I worded a response.

Crybaby

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 20:44 - Oct 15 with 917 viewsSwansea_Blue

You’re starting the argument and and there’s no need. A chap has been killed and obviously someone felt they needed to do it (for reasons only known to them). Do want you want, but I suggest you leave it there.

There was a phrase..... on 20:45 - Oct 15 with 916 viewsJ2BLUE

There was a phrase..... on 20:32 - Oct 15 by Bloots

....being used on here very frequently just a few months ago, which certainly wasn't condemning violence against your political "enemies".

It was encouraging it.

This place is hardly a hotbed compared to other social media outlets, but it even infiltrated here.

RIP.

Yep, biting my tongue here to be honest as this is not the thread for saying what I would like to say.

RIP.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 20:49 - Oct 15 with 901 viewsSwansea_Blue

Cake MP David Amess stabbed multiple times... :( on 19:21 - Oct 15 by GlasgowBlue

Nice and it’s but one example of many. What a mess eh? Nobody should feel they have to go this far even if it is political, but let’s see what the motive is before assuming anything. As a general point though, then yes I couldn’t agree more.

Indeed. (n/t) on 20:56 - Oct 15 with 901 viewsBloots

There was a phrase..... on 20:45 - Oct 15 by J2BLUE

Yep, biting my tongue here to be honest as this is not the thread for saying what I would like to say.

RIP.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

There was a phrase..... on 22:07 - Oct 15 with 772 viewsSwansea_Blue

There was a phrase..... on 20:32 - Oct 15 by Bloots

It was encouraging it.

RIP.

I can’t say I’ve ever seen anyone on here encouraging violence against and the murder of MPs.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024