Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
An interesting (I thought) moral dilemma 16:59 - Jul 27 with 548 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/newsbeat-53519098/fortnite-s-british-teenage-milli

So this 15 year old wins $1m on Fortnight. Well done to him. Seems a nice lad.

He buys his mum a house. She comes across as a lovely lady too. Nothing at all sinister about the two of them and I wish them both all the best. Pleased for them.

Just made me wonder about the loop hole if you will of stuff like this and how it could be abused by other parents / adults.

A child wins a large sum of money but is not able to buy a house, so the parent, who clearly has control of the funds (instead of them being placed in a fund until the child is 18 when they can choose to do what they want) could utilise them for however they wish, for example put pressure on a child to buy them a house / car / holiday under the 'I've looked after you your whole life emotional plea / demand'.

I was just surprised this was allowed. You could argue a naïve 18 year old could get their money and be pressured by their parent anyway into doing such like, but just struck me as odd that, whilst the expectation is on the parent to do their best for the child, surely at some stage the odds are there will be a parent that doesn't.

If I became an adult and found my dad had spent all my money on something they convinced me was in my best interest at the time, matters I am deemed too young to understand and decide on, I'd be taking it up with the lawmakers.

Anyway. Probably me drivelling on madly but just thought it was strange for kids not to have money like this placed into a fund.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

An interesting (I thought) moral dilemma on 20:39 - Jul 27 with 440 viewsSwansea_Blue

Wins $1m for coming second. I’m in the wrong job.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

An interesting (I thought) moral dilemma on 20:50 - Jul 27 with 428 viewsCoastalblue

I think there have been numerous cases of this sort of thing happening with child actors.
Didn't Macualay Caulkin sue his parents over money?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024