Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ladapo 08:09 - Sep 18 with 3317 viewsportmanking

Worryingly ineffective when he came on yesterday. The John-Jules/Jackson combo seems much more dynamic in K Mac's system. Despite only being on the pitch for 20+ mins, his efforts to press from the front were poor.

It must be said a lot of the forward players seemed out on their feet by 70 mins yesterday - huge effort, granted. But Freddie didn't add any fresh impetus when he came on...
Ladapo on 08:15 - Sep 18 with 2883 viewsDubtractor

It was Ladapo's worst outing for us, oddly coming after one of his best on Tuesday.

He didn't seem to offer much energy, but worse than that was that he had the first touch of a trampoline, so he was unable to help us take the sting out of the game.

I think we'll see a lot of swapping and changing across that front 3 over the season as McKenna clearly sees it as horses for courses.

We probably missed the option of Aluko yesterday, someone who could make the ball stick and keep a bit of composure in the final third.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

The view on Ladapo…. on 08:25 - Sep 18 with 2837 viewsBloots

….seems to depend entirely on the result!

He’s not the type of player who is going to grab headlines, his style of play and role in the team dictates that.

Personally I think he needs to be a “starter”, which allows him to grow into the game and helps us develop a style and get a hold of the match. That didn’t happen yesterday.

He’s not an impact player, so is going to be less effective as a sub.

I think he should have started yesterday, in my opinion.

Whilst not wanting to criticise KM, my only vague concern is his desire to switch the fro t 3 in more or less every match. But, as noted previously, it’s working so far.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Ladapo on 08:37 - Sep 18 with 2772 viewsWickets

Ladapo on 08:15 - Sep 18 by Dubtractor

It was Ladapo's worst outing for us, oddly coming after one of his best on Tuesday.

He didn't seem to offer much energy, but worse than that was that he had the first touch of a trampoline, so he was unable to help us take the sting out of the game.

I think we'll see a lot of swapping and changing across that front 3 over the season as McKenna clearly sees it as horses for courses.

We probably missed the option of Aluko yesterday, someone who could make the ball stick and keep a bit of composure in the final third.

His worst moment was he failed to mark his man at the far post for their first goal after we gave them a silly free kick and a chance to get back into the game . Seemed to me we paid the price for giving several free kicks away late on when we should have been looking to retain the ball !
Ladapo on 08:56 - Sep 18 with 2684 viewsportmanking

Ladapo on 08:37 - Sep 18 by Wickets

His worst moment was he failed to mark his man at the far post for their first goal after we gave them a silly free kick and a chance to get back into the game . Seemed to me we paid the price for giving several free kicks away late on when we should have been looking to retain the ball !

Ladapo's ball retention was diabolical. I can't help feeling we really do need another central striker that can shield and protect the ball better, particularly in games like yesterday when good sides are chasing the game.

I'd also forgotten he was the one guilty of ball watching at the back post...

As a previous post said though, the likes of Burns, Harness and Leigh were all guilty of being overzealous and giving away needless fouls.
Ladapo on 09:07 - Sep 18 with 2633 viewscarlisleaway

Ladapo on 08:56 - Sep 18 by portmanking

Ladapo's ball retention was diabolical. I can't help feeling we really do need another central striker that can shield and protect the ball better, particularly in games like yesterday when good sides are chasing the game.

I'd also forgotten he was the one guilty of ball watching at the back post...

As a previous post said though, the likes of Burns, Harness and Leigh were all guilty of being overzealous and giving away needless fouls.

Have to say Ladapo is looking one of McKennas worst signings, not just in quality but his body language does not give you any hope.
Ladapo on 09:08 - Sep 18 with 2624 viewsportmanking

Ladapo on 09:07 - Sep 18 by carlisleaway

Have to say Ladapo is looking one of McKennas worst signings, not just in quality but his body language does not give you any hope.

He's actually really quite slow too, over short distances at least.
Ladapo on 09:13 - Sep 18 with 2603 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Ladapo's overall contribution to us being top of the league has been at least decent. No player is beyond criticism but there appear to be a few that get singled out for it even when we are top of the league. The Jackson haters are quiet today, but they will soon be back.

I am sure McKenna will continually be working on improving us. Let's enjoy where we are.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Ladapo on 09:19 - Sep 18 with 2566 viewsDJR

The good thing about our strikers is that they all have different attributes. Some games will suit them more, and McKenna clearly plays from the start those he thinks will be more effective in the particular game. Clearly he thought JJ and Jackson would be more effective than Ladapo and Harness yesterday, and this proved to be the case. But it wasn't really the sort of game where the attacking subs were going to be very effective because we didn't control the game in the way we normally do. So I wouldn't be too hard on Ladapo.
Login to get fewer ads

Ladapo on 09:24 - Sep 18 with 2530 viewsDJR

Ladapo on 09:13 - Sep 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

Ladapo's overall contribution to us being top of the league has been at least decent. No player is beyond criticism but there appear to be a few that get singled out for it even when we are top of the league. The Jackson haters are quiet today, but they will soon be back.

I am sure McKenna will continually be working on improving us. Let's enjoy where we are.

Spot on. As regards the Jackson haters, it really does make one wonder what he has to do win them over. Two goals with mainly subs appearances is a pretty good return, and comes on top of any excellent spell last season. And McKenna, who know more about football than all of us combined, clearly rates him.
Ladapo on 09:30 - Sep 18 with 2483 viewsstrikalite

Don't wish to put the boot in too much but a little worrying that all the comments so far kind of ring true to what the Rotherham fans were saying about him..

I did wonder why he fell out with Warne, a top Manager imo..

Though on his defence yesterday was no doubt a tough game to just come on and get straight into..
Ladapo on 09:37 - Sep 18 with 2446 viewsSheffordBlue

It looked like the pressing as a unit stopped when he came on which might mean it was tactical to stop doing it. The press is only effective if it's done as a unit based on clear triggers - chasing down solo if none of the other front three are closing off the options doesn't work.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Ladapo on 09:40 - Sep 18 with 2417 viewsGuthrum

Different attacking setups are more effective against particular teams. That's why McKenna mixes it up so often.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Ladapo on 09:48 - Sep 18 with 2379 viewsGlasgowBlue

I was screaming at him to close down their keeper a few times. He looked uninterested/disinterested in doing the basics. Which is strange because he’s been brilliant all season in doing the hard graft and working the defenders.

Maybe he was asked to stay a little deeper?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Ladapo on 10:18 - Sep 18 with 2264 viewsWickets

Ladapo on 09:13 - Sep 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

Just to be clear I am not anti Ladapo and think he has done at least ok maybe a bit better .I was just pointing out where I think we went wrong yesterday .
Ladapo on 11:10 - Sep 18 with 2132 viewsWeirdFishes

I'd agree he was poor yesterday and lost his man for their 1st goal but he plays the role he is asked to play really good most of the time. He doesn't look like he'll get many goals but the system when he plays isn't reliant on him being the goalscorer.

I don't think I'd have him in my starting side but I can see his value.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

Ladapo on 11:13 - Sep 18 with 2121 viewspointofblue

Ladapo coming on was a very logical sub on paper - he’s capable of holding the ball up and bringing others into play. It seemed the obvious thing to do but unfortunately he had his worst game since arriving, as did Harness, who has otherwise been very good so far. That affected our ability to hold the ball up and keep it away from our defence.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but Ball should have come on for Keogh. If the backline is coping you don’t unsettle it by bringing on an extra defender and moving people around.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Ladapo on 11:51 - Sep 18 with 2040 viewsBigCommon

He looked a bit sluggish to me and nothing stuck to him.. And with Burns knackered by then. Our press higher up just disappeared.. Harness left running around like a headless chicken.
First game, imo, where we've missed Aluko coming off the bench.. Our right hand side wasn't great after the reshuffle.. But, as mentioned earlier, the defending from the front was non existent last 15 minutes..
I don't want to be too harsh, because I think a point away at Hillsborough is an acceptable result. But I think KM got it slightly wrong with the subs. And those he brought on, didn't do him any favors, either. Which compounded things.
Of course, everything is easy with hindsight. And let's not forget that Wednesday have a strong squad. Probably one of the only teams in the league that can match us up in terms of reinforcements off the bench.. Which made it harder for us to close the game out, too.
Ladapo on 11:59 - Sep 18 with 1993 viewspointofblue

Ladapo on 11:51 - Sep 18 by BigCommon

He looked a bit sluggish to me and nothing stuck to him.. And with Burns knackered by then. Our press higher up just disappeared.. Harness left running around like a headless chicken.
First game, imo, where we've missed Aluko coming off the bench.. Our right hand side wasn't great after the reshuffle.. But, as mentioned earlier, the defending from the front was non existent last 15 minutes..
I don't want to be too harsh, because I think a point away at Hillsborough is an acceptable result. But I think KM got it slightly wrong with the subs. And those he brought on, didn't do him any favors, either. Which compounded things.
Of course, everything is easy with hindsight. And let's not forget that Wednesday have a strong squad. Probably one of the only teams in the league that can match us up in terms of reinforcements off the bench.. Which made it harder for us to close the game out, too.

In fairness, the only sub he got wrong was probably Keogh for Jackson. At the very least it should have been Ball coming on and Jackson was still offering us more than Ladapo at that point so, as embarrassing as it would have been, he perhaps should have subbed the sub.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Ladapo on 21:31 - Sep 18 with 1722 viewsFrimleyBlue

Personally. I felt yesterday was the first sign of a player annoyed by squad rotation. Ladapo hadn't shown any form of lacklustre effort in any of his fixtures until yesterday. As you know I'm a big ladapo fan.. but he was awful yesterday. Think I heard afterwards he walked straight off the pitch at the end too rather than going woth the team .. ( is that true?)

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Ladapo on 22:20 - Sep 18 with 1646 viewsSwansea_Blue

It’s almost as if Jackson isn’t as crap as a lot of fans make out. There’s always been a player in there, just not a prolific goalscorer. Hopefully he’s found his place now in McK’s system.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Ladapo on 22:25 - Sep 18 with 1635 viewsnshearman1

Ladapo on 09:19 - Sep 18 by DJR

The good thing about our strikers is that they all have different attributes. Some games will suit them more, and McKenna clearly plays from the start those he thinks will be more effective in the particular game. Clearly he thought JJ and Jackson would be more effective than Ladapo and Harness yesterday, and this proved to be the case. But it wasn't really the sort of game where the attacking subs were going to be very effective because we didn't control the game in the way we normally do. So I wouldn't be too hard on Ladapo.

I’d like to see Gas Ahadme given a bit more of a run-out, he looked quite effective in his brief outing vs Bristol Rovers
Ladapo on 22:57 - Sep 18 with 1561 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

Ladapo on 21:31 - Sep 18 by FrimleyBlue

Personally. I felt yesterday was the first sign of a player annoyed by squad rotation. Ladapo hadn't shown any form of lacklustre effort in any of his fixtures until yesterday. As you know I'm a big ladapo fan.. but he was awful yesterday. Think I heard afterwards he walked straight off the pitch at the end too rather than going woth the team .. ( is that true?)

You think you heard that he just walked off?

You either did or you didn't. And the very fact you've not stated it as fact, says to me that you didn't hear it and you've made it up.

We were clearly sitting off and not pressing after we went 2-0 up. Ladapo can legitably be criticised for a poor first touch which prevented us getting up the pitch and breaking but to criticise him for not pressing when none of the front line were pressing is essentially criticising the tactics and not the player.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2022 22:58]
Ladapo on 23:10 - Sep 18 with 1504 viewsFrimleyBlue

Ladapo on 22:57 - Sep 18 by King_ding_a_lin_g

You think you heard that he just walked off?

You either did or you didn't. And the very fact you've not stated it as fact, says to me that you didn't hear it and you've made it up.

We were clearly sitting off and not pressing after we went 2-0 up. Ladapo can legitably be criticised for a poor first touch which prevented us getting up the pitch and breaking but to criticise him for not pressing when none of the front line were pressing is essentially criticising the tactics and not the player.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2022 22:58]

Sorry this is what I was referring to. My son said something about him. I only caught a snippet of it hence u said I think .....and asked the question.

And I didn't speak of his pressing.. so not sure why you're coming at me about that.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

The view on Ladapo…. on 23:38 - Sep 18 with 1427 viewsbournemouthblue

The view on Ladapo…. on 08:25 - Sep 18 by Bloots

….seems to depend entirely on the result!

He’s not the type of player who is going to grab headlines, his style of play and role in the team dictates that.

Personally I think he needs to be a “starter”, which allows him to grow into the game and helps us develop a style and get a hold of the match. That didn’t happen yesterday.

He’s not an impact player, so is going to be less effective as a sub.

I think he should have started yesterday, in my opinion.

Whilst not wanting to criticise KM, my only vague concern is his desire to switch the fro t 3 in more or less every match. But, as noted previously, it’s working so far.

My one concern with McKenna is that Man U also seemed to have issues getting the most out of their forwards whilst he was there with Solskjaer as well

There seemed to be an awful lot of rotation and they never seemed to quite crack it

I appreciate it's a far higher level and may not be quite such a problem down in League One, it does seem to be a reoccurring trend though

Not that we have much to complain about currently

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Ladapo on 00:48 - Sep 19 with 1352 viewsBondiBlue

Ladapo on 09:37 - Sep 18 by SheffordBlue

It looked like the pressing as a unit stopped when he came on which might mean it was tactical to stop doing it. The press is only effective if it's done as a unit based on clear triggers - chasing down solo if none of the other front three are closing off the options doesn't work.

Mckenna alluded to the tactics in his post-match interview. Said we conceded because we were still trying to press high when he wanted a lower block (or something to that effect). Makes sense - all season we've played weaker teams so saturday was the first time he'd have asked them to park the bus. Not surprising we didn't quite get it right. As you say, no point ladapo runnibg around like a lunatic if no-one else is. It's not a great look for a sub though so i can see why people are annoyed.

Poll: Which would you accept?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024