Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit extension powerplays 19:19 - Sep 8 with 1864 viewsStokieBlue

If France do decide to veto the extension then doesn't that take it totally out of the hands of parliament anyway? In that case surely Labour will agree to an election in mid-October?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/08/france-threatens-to-veto-furthe

It would be a rather ironic position to have had MPs taking back control of the process via parliament as they have labelled it only to have it all negated by an outside factor.

The French won't do it of course but it highlights the real lack of power the UK has in this process with regards to timing, something that the Tories try hard to play down.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Brexit extension powerplays on 19:22 - Sep 8 with 1847 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

The day after we vote to leave, we hold all the cards and we can choose the path we want.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Brexit extension powerplays on 19:30 - Sep 8 with 1810 viewsStokieBlue

Brexit extension powerplays on 19:22 - Sep 8 by WestStanderLaLaLa

The day after we vote to leave, we hold all the cards and we can choose the path we want.

Do we? Are you sure?

Pretty sure that the much vaunted free trade agreement with the EU and any other country in the world isn't just down to the cards we hold.

SB

Brexit extension powerplays on 19:31 - Sep 8 with 1803 viewsDubtractor

Hahahahahahahaha.

Oh.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Brexit extension powerplays on 19:31 - Sep 8 with 1798 viewsDubtractor

Brexit extension powerplays on 19:30 - Sep 8 by StokieBlue

Do we? Are you sure?

Pretty sure that the much vaunted free trade agreement with the EU and any other country in the world isn't just down to the cards we hold.

SB

I think you are due a whoosh buh.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Brexit extension powerplays on 19:37 - Sep 8 with 1785 viewsStokieBlue

Brexit extension powerplays on 19:31 - Sep 8 by Dubtractor

I think you are due a whoosh buh.

On reflection you are highly probable to be correct.

It's just pretty hard to know on first impressions these days!

SB

Brexit extension powerplays on 19:40 - Sep 8 with 1771 viewsBlueBadger

Oh, bless you.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Brexit extension powerplays on 20:17 - Sep 8 with 1686 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Brexit extension powerplays on 19:37 - Sep 8 by StokieBlue

On reflection you are highly probable to be correct.

It's just pretty hard to know on first impressions these days!

SB

It’s a whoosh! Your post about our lack of power made me think about the absurdity of Gove’s quote.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Brexit extension powerplays on 20:18 - Sep 8 with 1676 viewsStokieBlue

Brexit extension powerplays on 20:17 - Sep 8 by WestStanderLaLaLa

It’s a whoosh! Your post about our lack of power made me think about the absurdity of Gove’s quote.

Well played.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

Brexit extension powerplays on 20:37 - Sep 8 with 1614 viewsGuthrum

If you look at what the French FM is actually saying, he is expressing an unwillingness to have repeated three-month extensions in the light of the current lack of progress of negotiations.

A General Election with a possible change of government and fresh negotiating position does not really fall under that.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Brexit extension powerplays on 20:53 - Sep 8 with 1554 viewsSteve_M

The thing to remember here is that no-one, even the loons in 10 Downing Street, wants to be blamed for no deal. So, I think there's a lot of posturing going on.

What is also true is that repeated extensions with the UK government refusing to face up to real choices aren't going to resolve this. Johnson is repeating all May's failings at greater speed and with more malice but he's still failing on the mutual incompatibility of May's red lines.

Until they change, we're stuck. The election is surely a last gamble for the current approach.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Brexit extension powerplays on 21:11 - Sep 8 with 1503 viewsblueislander

From what I have read, the EU will grant an extension. Macron is partially merely Sabre-rattling, and partially expressing frustration with the current lack of effort by our government to negotiate. I guess the EU believe that they will be negotiating with different people who really want a deal.
Brexit extension powerplays on 21:12 - Sep 8 with 1497 viewsStokieBlue

Brexit extension powerplays on 21:11 - Sep 8 by blueislander

From what I have read, the EU will grant an extension. Macron is partially merely Sabre-rattling, and partially expressing frustration with the current lack of effort by our government to negotiate. I guess the EU believe that they will be negotiating with different people who really want a deal.

Indeed.

My point was to illustrate they aren't really in control, the French could (but won't) veto it.

SB

Brexit extension powerplays on 21:33 - Sep 8 with 1447 viewsPinewoodblue

Brexit extension powerplays on 20:37 - Sep 8 by Guthrum

If you look at what the French FM is actually saying, he is expressing an unwillingness to have repeated three-month extensions in the light of the current lack of progress of negotiations.

A General Election with a possible change of government and fresh negotiating position does not really fall under that.

Macron will, I suspect, do what he did last time and agree an extension but not for the period asked for by Johnson. A compromise period will be agreed and Johnson will put it to Parliament.

This is just a political game for far too many people. not sure if there is really any point in a further extension as cannot see agreement being reached.

We will have to have an election sooner rather than later the opposition parties cannot allow this to drift.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Brexit extension powerplays on 23:29 - Sep 8 with 1345 viewsGuthrum

Brexit extension powerplays on 21:33 - Sep 8 by Pinewoodblue

Macron will, I suspect, do what he did last time and agree an extension but not for the period asked for by Johnson. A compromise period will be agreed and Johnson will put it to Parliament.

This is just a political game for far too many people. not sure if there is really any point in a further extension as cannot see agreement being reached.

We will have to have an election sooner rather than later the opposition parties cannot allow this to drift.

I think we are very likely to have an election as soon as an extension is granted.

Tho there is a faint chance Johnson may be able to produce some sort of deal which Parliament considers at least worth looking at.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024