Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Legal/Insurance advice 15:17 - Oct 8 with 2525 viewsFixed_It

Last weekend my missus was involved in an accident. Her car was stationary, waiting at traffic lights on a dual carriageway roundabout. A truck on the other carriageway shed it's load, and a large gas cylinder bounced off the road and smashed into her car, leaving a gas cylinder-shaped dent in her front wing and drivers door. Had she been in the outside lane it would have been higher, and quite possibly would have smashed through the drivers door window and...well, the consequences don't bear thinking about.
Anyway, police state that she was quite clearly blameless, and the driver of the truck admits liability. I would suggest that as the load obviously wasn't secure, that he had been negligent.
Insurance claim made, and photos of damage sent to insurance company. Phone call on Sunday from Admiral, and they say that the car is a write-off (based on photo evidence). They wanted to collect the car on Monday, but we put them off as the car is still drivable and roadworthy. A phone call to their legal department (covered by insurance) and they state that as she isn't physically injured, there is no claim against the other driver. However, we all know that the sum offered will not be sufficient to cover the cost (and inconvenience) of replacing her car with like-for-like.
My question is: Is it correct that nothing can be done in terms of compensation to make up for any discrepancy given the clear negligence involved?
We have since had a private estimate for repairs which comes to about £500. The car (VW Touran) is worth around £3000-4000, so writing it off seems ridiculous. A phone call to Admiral and they have now agreed for us to get an estimate from one of their approved repairers, which I am sure will be more but hopefully not enough to make it uneconomical to repair. If they still do declare it to be a write-off, what are our options in terms of getting a pay out and keeping the car/repairing it ourselves?
Any advice gratefully received. Cheers.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Legal/Insurance advice on 21:13 - Nov 6 with 195 viewsronnyd

Legal/Insurance advice on 15:23 - Oct 8 by bluelagos

If a car is written off as uneconomic to repair you can offer to buy it and then repair it yourself. I did that with a motorbike written off after I got taken out by an old lady a few years ago.

It does mean the vehicle is forever listed as having been a write off so will impact on second hand value if/when you come to resell.

You'll need to google write off classes to learn a bit more on this. Will also then need re-mot-ing as your insurance could be invalid after a car is written off.

Yes, I did the same thing when a guy left his handbrake off and it rolled down into mine. Do NOT let the insurers remove your car and stick to your guns. Good luck.
(No subject) (n/t) on 08:14 - Nov 7 with 133 viewssuffolkpoker

Legal/Insurance advice on 17:13 - Oct 8 by bluelagos

You absolutely don't need to accept the first value offered. And if you can show adverts of similar aged / condition / mileage cars that will support your argument against a low offer.

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024