Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again 07:02 - Jun 29 with 8499 viewsElderGrizzly

Utter scum. Whoever is in charge of police protection for officials should be ashamed.

Witty has been made a target by the CRG and various lockdown and Covid sceptics and this assault shouldn’t be allowed.

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 13:46 - Jun 30 with 1353 viewsjeera

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 13:36 - Jun 30 by ShropshireBluenago09

Blue Lagos - always the same in here. Many snowflakes

Yes because that makes all sorts of sense.

Big tough young guys harassing an old man in the street.

People who think intimidating the old boy is out of line are snowflakes.

It just sounds like you've adopted the word and used it out of context for the sake of it.

Some bloke accosted my dad once in our street, half his age and twice his size, I guess I should have let that one go eh, bloody snowflake that I was.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 14:07 - Jun 30 with 1316 viewsShropshireBluenago09

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 13:46 - Jun 30 by jeera

Yes because that makes all sorts of sense.

Big tough young guys harassing an old man in the street.

People who think intimidating the old boy is out of line are snowflakes.

It just sounds like you've adopted the word and used it out of context for the sake of it.

Some bloke accosted my dad once in our street, half his age and twice his size, I guess I should have let that one go eh, bloody snowflake that I was.

Not sure what happened with your Dad but there’s a difference between “accosted” and a couple of Merry blokes trying to take a selfie with a public figure

Gus Uhlenbeek

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 14:47 - Jun 30 with 1282 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 09:09 - Jun 29 by Wallingford_Boy

Assault?! LOL

Yes, they were over the top and shouldn't have put their arm around him, but its hardly assault.

Media being media again.

The legal definition of assault includes being put "in fear" of harm to ones person.

Any reasonable person in Whitty's position here would be "in fear" of harm.

So it's an Assault.
Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 15:17 - Jun 30 with 1261 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 14:47 - Jun 30 by ArnoldMoorhen

The legal definition of assault includes being put "in fear" of harm to ones person.

Any reasonable person in Whitty's position here would be "in fear" of harm.

So it's an Assault.

CPS guidance here makes it very clear that being put in fear of violence constitutes an Assault:

Common Assault — s.39 Criminal Justice Act 1988
An assault is any act (and not mere omission to act) by which a person intentionally or recklessly causes another to suffer or apprehend immediate unlawful violence.

The term assault is often used to include a battery, which is committed by the intentional or reckless application of unlawful force to another person. Where there is a battery, the defendant should be charged with ‘assault by beating’: DPP v Little [1992] QB 645. Provided there has been an intentional or reckless application of unlawful force the offence will have been committed, however slight the force.

Assault, as distinct from battery, can be committed by an act indicating an intention to use unlawful violence against the person of another — for example, an aimed punch that fails to connect. In Misalati [2017] EWCA 2226 the appellant spat towards the complainant. The appeal court confirmed that although there was no actual violence, spitting is an assault whether it makes contact with the victim or causes fear of immediate unlawful physical contact.

Guidance on potential defences is set out in the separate legal guidance Self-defence and the Prevention of Crime. A person may use such force as is reasonable in the circumstances for the purposes of:

self-defence
defence of another
defence of property
prevention of crime; or
lawful arrest.
An element of the offence of common assault is lack of consent so that the prosecution may (where it is a live issue) have to establish that the offence was committed without consent. However, a lack of consent can be inferred from evidence other than the direct evidence of the victim — CPS v Shabbir [2009] EWHC 2754 (Admin). Most of the physical contacts of ordinary life are not actionable because they are impliedly consented to by all who move in society and so expose themselves to the risk of bodily contact: Collins v Wilcock [1984] 1 WLR 1172.

Common assault is a summary offence. However, if the requirements of section 40 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 are met it can be included as a count on an indictment.

From here:

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/offences-against-person-incorporating-char

It's not Battery, or Actual Bodily Harm (unless the actions in the video left a mark on him) and certainly not Grievous Bodily Harm. But it is an Assault.
Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 20:30 - Jun 30 with 1213 viewsborge

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 15:53 - Jun 29 by bluelagos

Which is the point. A bit of perspective here would be handy.

Couple of drunk idiot put arm round CW for a selfie - and people are labeling it as an assault and queuing up for the usual social media pile on.

Meanwhile, far worse happens every day and nothing much happens. The stuff coming out of Batley and Spen sounds 10 times worse. But people are worried about this?

Your posts in this thread totally and utterly miss the point. It might just be a couple of drunken idiots and yes, there are far worse assaults that happen every day, but that doesn't make this right. You seem to be excusing any form of bad behaviour that is instigated by drunk people or people having 'fun' (not your words, but my interpretation of them). It's still bad behaviour and shouldn't be tolerated. The problem is, as a society we've been far too tolerant and people now can't see how or why this is wrong; we just no longer seem to be able to behave in a decent or respectful way towards others and that's pretty sad.
Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 21:34 - Jun 30 with 1188 viewsbluelagos

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 20:30 - Jun 30 by borge

Your posts in this thread totally and utterly miss the point. It might just be a couple of drunken idiots and yes, there are far worse assaults that happen every day, but that doesn't make this right. You seem to be excusing any form of bad behaviour that is instigated by drunk people or people having 'fun' (not your words, but my interpretation of them). It's still bad behaviour and shouldn't be tolerated. The problem is, as a society we've been far too tolerant and people now can't see how or why this is wrong; we just no longer seem to be able to behave in a decent or respectful way towards others and that's pretty sad.

Where have I said the behaviour was right? I haven't.

Where have I excused the bahaviour? I haven't.

As I said to another poster, by all means challenge my comments. Claiming I have said things I haven't doesnt acheive much in terms of a discussion.

What I have said is that in the scheme of things, a drunken idiot putting his arm round someone for a selfie, isn't worthy of police time and effort. And it seems CW feels exactly the same as me, given his position describing it as "playground behaviour".

If you or others wishes to see the behaviour as something else that is your perorgative. I am happy to agree with CW, the guy who knows exactly what he experienced and how he felt.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 21:51 - Jun 30 with 1173 viewsWeWereZombies

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 21:34 - Jun 30 by bluelagos

As I said to another poster, by all means challenge my comments. Claiming I have said things I haven't doesnt acheive much in terms of a discussion.

What I have said is that in the scheme of things, a drunken idiot putting his arm round someone for a selfie, isn't worthy of police time and effort. And it seems CW feels exactly the same as me, given his position describing it as "playground behaviour".

If you or others wishes to see the behaviour as something else that is your perorgative. I am happy to agree with CW, the guy who knows exactly what he experienced and how he felt.

Although Chris Whitty's response may have been delivered with a view to public relations with the sectors of society who are resisting Covid regulations, and also with a view to his own position - a 'wimpish' response would be seen as unsuitable by Boris's lot.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 21:59 - Jun 30 with 1155 viewsbluelagos

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 21:51 - Jun 30 by WeWereZombies

Although Chris Whitty's response may have been delivered with a view to public relations with the sectors of society who are resisting Covid regulations, and also with a view to his own position - a 'wimpish' response would be seen as unsuitable by Boris's lot.

He has clearly been on the wrong side of some appalling actions, I think they even demo'd outside his house. But these 2 numpties were nothing to do with that, as is crystal clear from watching the video. Just a couple of idiots desperate for a photo.

I think some people in their anger at anti-vaxxers / conspiracy loons are directing that anger at the wrong target tbh.

Login to get fewer ads

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 08:10 - Jul 1 with 1086 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 21:34 - Jun 30 by bluelagos

It's funny how you say you haven't excused the behaviour and then you go on to say stuff which excuses the behaviour. You've done it all over this thread. Maybe you don't even realise the words you're writing are attempting to excuse the behaviour. It's disgusting frankly and I can't understand why anyone would not just condemn it and leave it at that.

The fact that you call it "a drunken idiot putting his arm round someone for a selfie" is trying to lessen what actually happened and excuse it. It is much more than that, clearly.

One of the morons has lost his job over it. Good. And good to see his employer sees it worse than you evidently do. I imagine if you were his employer you'd have done nothing, and then there's no deterrent for this unacceptable behaviour. Now others will hopefully think twice too.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 08:14 - Jul 1 with 1081 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 15:17 - Jun 30 by ArnoldMoorhen

CPS guidance here makes it very clear that being put in fear of violence constitutes an Assault:

Common Assault — s.39 Criminal Justice Act 1988
An assault is any act (and not mere omission to act) by which a person intentionally or recklessly causes another to suffer or apprehend immediate unlawful violence.

The term assault is often used to include a battery, which is committed by the intentional or reckless application of unlawful force to another person. Where there is a battery, the defendant should be charged with ‘assault by beating’: DPP v Little [1992] QB 645. Provided there has been an intentional or reckless application of unlawful force the offence will have been committed, however slight the force.

Assault, as distinct from battery, can be committed by an act indicating an intention to use unlawful violence against the person of another — for example, an aimed punch that fails to connect. In Misalati [2017] EWCA 2226 the appellant spat towards the complainant. The appeal court confirmed that although there was no actual violence, spitting is an assault whether it makes contact with the victim or causes fear of immediate unlawful physical contact.

Guidance on potential defences is set out in the separate legal guidance Self-defence and the Prevention of Crime. A person may use such force as is reasonable in the circumstances for the purposes of:

self-defence
defence of another
defence of property
prevention of crime; or
lawful arrest.
An element of the offence of common assault is lack of consent so that the prosecution may (where it is a live issue) have to establish that the offence was committed without consent. However, a lack of consent can be inferred from evidence other than the direct evidence of the victim — CPS v Shabbir [2009] EWHC 2754 (Admin). Most of the physical contacts of ordinary life are not actionable because they are impliedly consented to by all who move in society and so expose themselves to the risk of bodily contact: Collins v Wilcock [1984] 1 WLR 1172.

Common assault is a summary offence. However, if the requirements of section 40 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 are met it can be included as a count on an indictment.

From here:

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/offences-against-person-incorporating-char

It's not Battery, or Actual Bodily Harm (unless the actions in the video left a mark on him) and certainly not Grievous Bodily Harm. But it is an Assault.

"The incident has been recorded as a common assault and continues to be investigated by the Met’s public order crime team.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/01/man-who-grabbed-chris-whitty-sac

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 08:27 - Jul 1 with 1063 viewsbluelagos

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 08:10 - Jul 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

It's funny how you say you haven't excused the behaviour and then you go on to say stuff which excuses the behaviour. You've done it all over this thread. Maybe you don't even realise the words you're writing are attempting to excuse the behaviour. It's disgusting frankly and I can't understand why anyone would not just condemn it and leave it at that.

The fact that you call it "a drunken idiot putting his arm round someone for a selfie" is trying to lessen what actually happened and excuse it. It is much more than that, clearly.

One of the morons has lost his job over it. Good. And good to see his employer sees it worse than you evidently do. I imagine if you were his employer you'd have done nothing, and then there's no deterrent for this unacceptable behaviour. Now others will hopefully think twice too.

Let me share a short story with you Dolly.

When I was young, in the start of my career I once got p*ssed at a works do. I had way too much drink and one of my colleagues was a Wolves fan. I gave him way too much banter / stick than was appropriate and/or sensible.

The next day I went in to apologise. I was out of order. As I went in he said "Let me stop you there, whenever I acted like a dickhead when drunk I don't apologise, I don't expect you to, don't worry about it"

I still apologised and my loyalty to the firm and to the manager increased a lot. I also did learn my lesson and very much adapted my drinking at works dos.

So no, I wouldn't sack someone for doing something stupid and apologising. I'd ensure they learned from it and hope they made themselves a better person for it.

What I find "disgusting" is your evident pleasure in seeing someone lose his job. But hey, that's just me.

You can be disgusted at me, just as I am with you. No wahala.

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 08:37 - Jul 1 with 1045 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 08:27 - Jul 1 by bluelagos

When I was young, in the start of my career I once got p*ssed at a works do. I had way too much drink and one of my colleagues was a Wolves fan. I gave him way too much banter / stick than was appropriate and/or sensible.

The next day I went in to apologise. I was out of order. As I went in he said "Let me stop you there, whenever I acted like a dickhead when drunk I don't apologise, I don't expect you to, don't worry about it"

I still apologised and my loyalty to the firm and to the manager increased a lot. I also did learn my lesson and very much adapted my drinking at works dos.

So no, I wouldn't sack someone for doing something stupid and apologising. I'd ensure they learned from it and hope they made themselves a better person for it.

What I find "disgusting" is your evident pleasure in seeing someone lose his job. But hey, that's just me.

I don't have "pleasure" at him losing his job. I'd rather he hadn't ...because he hadn't done what he did in the first place. But I think it's an excellent deterrent to others. Your story is all well and good, but that's just one example. There are many many more where people don't get punished and then think "Well it's fine, nothing came of it."

Also, you keep excusing this as 'drunken behaviour' - yet there's no evidence they'd been drinking at all. In their apology they don't say anything about drinking. Again this is you trying to excuse their actions.

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 08:37 - Jul 1 with 1041 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 08:27 - Jul 1 by bluelagos

Let's face it he lost his job because of the reaction of the mob and because nowadays your business is everybody's business! Bloody social media!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 08:38 - Jul 1 with 1036 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 08:10 - Jul 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

You are 'disgusted of Tonbridge Wells' etc.....

They should have stuck to pushing rocks off cliffs I guess!
[Post edited 1 Jul 2021 8:39]

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 08:39 - Jul 1 with 1038 viewsDanTheMan

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 08:37 - Jul 1 by BanksterDebtSlave

Let's face it he lost his job because of the reaction of the mob and because nowadays your business is everybody's business! Bloody social media!

How do you think this video made it's way to social media?

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 08:40 - Jul 1 with 1035 viewsbluelagos

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 08:39 - Jul 1 by DanTheMan

There is an irony for sure - given that he posted it on himself.

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 08:44 - Jul 1 with 1020 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 08:39 - Jul 1 by DanTheMan

Ummm....because they're stoopid!
Does that act of itself make them public property and liable to the response of the 'mob?'

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 08:46 - Jul 1 with 1017 viewsDanTheMan

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 08:44 - Jul 1 by BanksterDebtSlave

Does that act of itself make them public property and liable to the response of the 'mob?'

Actions have consequences. They posted themselves harassing someone online and people have reacted.

They could have done what they did without posting a video and I doubt we'd have ever heard about it.

For what it's worth, I'm not outraged by the footage but not overly surprised some people are. Also not surprised they lost their job even if I think that's a bit extreme.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2021 8:49]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 08:46 - Jul 1 with 1016 viewsbluelagos

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 08:37 - Jul 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

I don't have "pleasure" at him losing his job. I'd rather he hadn't ...because he hadn't done what he did in the first place. But I think it's an excellent deterrent to others. Your story is all well and good, but that's just one example. There are many many more where people don't get punished and then think "Well it's fine, nothing came of it."

Also, you keep excusing this as 'drunken behaviour' - yet there's no evidence they'd been drinking at all. In their apology they don't say anything about drinking. Again this is you trying to excuse their actions.

"One of the morons has lost his job over it. Good. "

An unusual way of commenting if you haven't taken pleasure from his losing his job. It certainly reads that way to me.

Anyhow - I am going to run off and leave you to debate it without me. People are allowed different opinions Dolly. You are clearly outraged at the incident. I am not.

Maybe we just have a vastly different "outrage" threshold. It's not worth a 10 pager.

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 10:14 - Jul 1 with 979 viewsWeWereZombies

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 08:46 - Jul 1 by DanTheMan

Actions have consequences. They posted themselves harassing someone online and people have reacted.

They could have done what they did without posting a video and I doubt we'd have ever heard about it.

For what it's worth, I'm not outraged by the footage but not overly surprised some people are. Also not surprised they lost their job even if I think that's a bit extreme.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2021 8:49]

Actions usually do have consequences, but the extent of the consequences can be disproportionate to the actions if an amplifying medium is brought into the process i.e. both the phone camera and subsequent sharing of the video of Whitty being jostled, then the online storm over the footage.

'McLuhan studies the emergence of what he calls Gutenberg Man, the subject produced by the change of consciousness wrought by the advent of the printed book. Apropos of his axiom, "The medium is the message," McLuhan argues that technologies are not simply inventions which people employ but are the means by which people are re-invented. The invention of movable type was the decisive moment in the change from a culture in which all the senses partook of a common interplay to a tyranny of the visual. He also argued that the development of the printing press led to the creation of nationalism, dualism, domination of rationalism, automatisation of scientific research, uniformation and standardisation of culture and alienation of individuals.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gutenberg_Galaxy

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 13:28 - Jul 1 with 940 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 08:46 - Jul 1 by bluelagos

"One of the morons has lost his job over it. Good. "

An unusual way of commenting if you haven't taken pleasure from his losing his job. It certainly reads that way to me.

Anyhow - I am going to run off and leave you to debate it without me. People are allowed different opinions Dolly. You are clearly outraged at the incident. I am not.

Maybe we just have a vastly different "outrage" threshold. It's not worth a 10 pager.

Classic. You have no answer to the fact that they weren't drunk - you just added that in to excuse them - but rather than hold your hands up you ignore it and say you don't want to debate anymore.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2021 13:31]

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 13:35 - Jul 1 with 922 viewsStokieBlue

He's having to put up with an awful lot of unacceptable behaviour towards him at the moment.

This is awful:

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/what-has-become-of-us-protestors-chant-mu

Footage has emerged of protesters chanting ‘traitor’ and ‘murderer’ outside Chris Whitty’s house during a ‘freedom rally’ in London this weekend.

Some people are just scum and I suspect they would be pretty upset if someone was to do these things to them rather than the other way around.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 17:15 - Jul 1 with 860 viewsjeera

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 13:35 - Jul 1 by StokieBlue

He's having to put up with an awful lot of unacceptable behaviour towards him at the moment.

This is awful:

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/what-has-become-of-us-protestors-chant-mu

Footage has emerged of protesters chanting ‘traitor’ and ‘murderer’ outside Chris Whitty’s house during a ‘freedom rally’ in London this weekend.

Some people are just scum and I suspect they would be pretty upset if someone was to do these things to them rather than the other way around.

SB

How the feck is he a murderer and/or a traitor?

Well I'm going on record saying these people are a bunch of know nothing ****s so I suppose that makes me a snowflake or some other bizarre take because I dislike the bullying of innocent people.

Apparently bullying old men in the street and now outside their homes is only for real men.

Add to that pointing and laughing at children apparently.

Christ we have some morons.

*disclaimer, yes other countries have morons too before someone starts crying.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2021 17:15]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 17:34 - Jul 1 with 844 viewsjaykay

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 08:37 - Jul 1 by BanksterDebtSlave

yep bloody social media. they used social media themselves, live by the sword die by the sword.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 17:51 - Jul 1 with 834 viewsStokieBlue

Chris Witty being harassed and assaulted again on 08:44 - Jul 1 by BanksterDebtSlave

Given he posted it himself the response is entirely his own fault.

I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make. If one insists on posting stuff on social media to entertain "the mob" then one can hardly complain when "the mob" turns on them.

It's them that's entirely in the wrong here. If they had left Witty alone to go about his life without being harassed then none of this would have happened.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024