Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The question to ask now is about the Baltic States 09:47 - Feb 25 with 2808 viewsnodge_blue

As these are NATO countries and we are committed to defend them, that would mean military action. But are we really prepared to do that? For all the reasons that we don't want to do it in Ukraine.

Its worrying stuff. Putin couldn't even wait till we'd got over Covid before dropping the next crisis.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

The question to ask now is about the Baltic States on 13:05 - Feb 25 with 770 viewsVic

The question to ask now is about the Baltic States on 12:38 - Feb 25 by Churchman

Indeed they can’t. It’s all speculation.

One thing that’s always intrigued me is how hard it is to bump off a dictator. Gaddaffi, Ceausescu and Hussein might disagree on that, but it strikes me that too many lead long and happy lives.

Stalin did it by killing off anyone he didn’t like the look of and more besides. I saw a documentary once where about 1400 delegates were voting for him as party leader or something. A few abstained. Before you could say ‘what do you want for Christmas’ all 1400 were dead. He couldn’t be sure who the abstainers were.

Hitler did it by a personal army, police and getting all to swear personal allegiance. Add in a dollop of good luck (20 July plot) and there you go.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2022 6:23]

Being able to shoot a missile through a window from a few 1000 miles away is a help these days isn’t it! Given the danger both now and in the future of his current actions Id be looking to take Putin out now. There would be fall out, but could it really be worse than having a lying madman leading Russia?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

The question to ask now is about the Baltic States on 13:14 - Feb 25 with 731 viewsGuthrum

The question to ask now is about the Baltic States on 12:11 - Feb 25 by nodge_blue

I think your first paragraph sounds highly plausible and likely.

Im not so sure about the second. I think Ukraine sounds very hard to defend unlike an Afganistan. It would also take a coup in Russia I think for Putin to go and that seems again unlikely from afar. He has an iron grip on it like all dictators do. Even Hitler and Stalin never fell to a coup.

With Hitler it was a bit tricky, as they were engaged in a long-running foreign war. Any coup could be seen as not only unpatriotic, but also a replaying of the "stab in the back" myth which had developed after the end of World War One, which both politicians and military men were very conscious of. Even despite this, there were attempts, most seriously the July 20th Bomb Plot.

As for Stalin, he had killed or imprisoned so many people that there was nobody left to oppose him. So long as Beria remained loyal, he was secure.

Putin has neither of those things to bolster his position against domestic rivals and opponents. Just patronage and reputation.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The question to ask now is about the Baltic States on 13:22 - Feb 25 with 709 viewsnodge_blue

The question to ask now is about the Baltic States on 13:14 - Feb 25 by Guthrum

With Hitler it was a bit tricky, as they were engaged in a long-running foreign war. Any coup could be seen as not only unpatriotic, but also a replaying of the "stab in the back" myth which had developed after the end of World War One, which both politicians and military men were very conscious of. Even despite this, there were attempts, most seriously the July 20th Bomb Plot.

As for Stalin, he had killed or imprisoned so many people that there was nobody left to oppose him. So long as Beria remained loyal, he was secure.

Putin has neither of those things to bolster his position against domestic rivals and opponents. Just patronage and reputation.

It remains a hope that some senior generals may say this is madness and remove him. But I should think he's made sure that only loyal figures are in those positions. It would be the ideal way out of this if he is replaced.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

The question to ask now is about the Baltic States on 13:25 - Feb 25 with 702 viewsGuthrum

The question to ask now is about the Baltic States on 13:05 - Feb 25 by Vic

Being able to shoot a missile through a window from a few 1000 miles away is a help these days isn’t it! Given the danger both now and in the future of his current actions Id be looking to take Putin out now. There would be fall out, but could it really be worse than having a lying madman leading Russia?

The problems with shooting missiles from 1,000 miles away are 1) They can see it coming and be somewhere else (if you can find out where they are in real time to start off with*) and 2) Everyone can tell where it came from and send stuff back.

* One of the reasons so many of the plots against Hitler failed was that he was notorious for changing his schedule and leaving events earlier than expected. Thus he wasn't around to be killed.

The question to ask now is about the Baltic States on 13:26 - Feb 25 with 698 viewsZXBlue

The question to ask now is about the Baltic States on 11:57 - Feb 25 by Churchman

NATOs power was the US. The rest offer relatively little or nothing, bar a nuclear deterrent that will never be used. There is no way America is going to be interested in foreign adventures for a very long time after the Afghan disaster.

The Baltic states will be subjected to accusation, all the usual stuff from Russia before it’s people are ‘liberated’. All NATO will do is supply weapons and a few troops as advisors who will be pulled out if under threat. Technically, that is ‘assisting’. I just don’t think there is any appetite to defend countries that are within Russia’s geographical or cultural orbit, let alone risk armageddon, and all the treaties in the world won’t change it. Moldova, Serbia, Croatia etc and last but not least Poland are up for grabs.

Putin will stop where he wishes to, not where we wish him to. The response to this outrageous invasion has been if we are kind, fractured/limited and I can’t imagine Putin is not enjoying a hearty lunch at this very moment.

Solution? Firstly pray the man dies. Next, reduce economic dependence on Russia, lastly try to buy time to re-arm - and I know that won’t go down well on here. Sadly dictators know no other form of response - and it’s always the people that suffer.

This is largely nonsense.

Nato is there for precisely this reasons and if a nato country is attacked / invaded, I would be surprised if Nato did not defend.
The question to ask now is about the Baltic States on 13:33 - Feb 25 with 684 viewsGuthrum

The question to ask now is about the Baltic States on 13:22 - Feb 25 by nodge_blue

It remains a hope that some senior generals may say this is madness and remove him. But I should think he's made sure that only loyal figures are in those positions. It would be the ideal way out of this if he is replaced.

The question you should as is "How would the Russian people see those who toppled Putin?" I suspect as traitors, especially if they cannot then find a way out of economic turmoil, or if blatant corruption comes back like in Yeltsin's day, with the nation diminished and enfeebled on the world stage.

Any potential actors know that, so it would have to be a pretty storng driver to make them act (e.g. self-preservation).

The question to ask now is about the Baltic States on 13:46 - Feb 25 with 650 viewsJ2BLUE

Ben Wallace has said he will not start a war in Europe. Fair enough, Ukraine aren't in NATO. Then he said Putin won't stop there which seems to suggest he will go after the Baltic states.

He really needs to stop talking.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

[Redacted] on 13:47 - Feb 25 with 644 viewsvictorywilhappen

The question to ask now is about the Baltic States on 12:29 - Feb 25 by istanblue

Power of NATO died a long time ago with the likes of Libya, Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan.

[Redacted]
Login to get fewer ads

[Redacted] on 13:48 - Feb 25 with 638 viewsvictorywilhappen

The question to ask now is about the Baltic States on 13:46 - Feb 25 by J2BLUE

Ben Wallace has said he will not start a war in Europe. Fair enough, Ukraine aren't in NATO. Then he said Putin won't stop there which seems to suggest he will go after the Baltic states.

He really needs to stop talking.

[Redacted]
[Redacted] on 13:53 - Feb 25 with 623 viewsvictorywilhappen

The question to ask now is about the Baltic States on 13:26 - Feb 25 by ZXBlue

This is largely nonsense.

Nato is there for precisely this reasons and if a nato country is attacked / invaded, I would be surprised if Nato did not defend.

[Redacted]
The question to ask now is about the Baltic States on 14:04 - Feb 25 with 586 viewsgiant_stow

[Redacted] on 13:53 - Feb 25 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

I fear you might be right, especially with Putin brandishing the nuke card and certain members of the EU being so unwilling to even go the whole hog in economic terms. When push comes to shove, It might be all to easy to abandon the Baltics, especially if Russia moves quickly. Not sure what would happen with the NATO tropes already there though? Maybe they'd get pulled out before a fight or given an ultimatum to do so on threat of Chernobyl being messed with or Nukes.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

[Redacted] on 14:36 - Feb 25 with 547 viewsvictorywilhappen

The question to ask now is about the Baltic States on 14:04 - Feb 25 by giant_stow

I fear you might be right, especially with Putin brandishing the nuke card and certain members of the EU being so unwilling to even go the whole hog in economic terms. When push comes to shove, It might be all to easy to abandon the Baltics, especially if Russia moves quickly. Not sure what would happen with the NATO tropes already there though? Maybe they'd get pulled out before a fight or given an ultimatum to do so on threat of Chernobyl being messed with or Nukes.

[Redacted]
The question to ask now is about the Baltic States on 22:33 - Feb 25 with 463 viewsbluejacko

The question to ask now is about the Baltic States on 11:57 - Feb 25 by Churchman

NATOs power was the US. The rest offer relatively little or nothing, bar a nuclear deterrent that will never be used. There is no way America is going to be interested in foreign adventures for a very long time after the Afghan disaster.

The Baltic states will be subjected to accusation, all the usual stuff from Russia before it’s people are ‘liberated’. All NATO will do is supply weapons and a few troops as advisors who will be pulled out if under threat. Technically, that is ‘assisting’. I just don’t think there is any appetite to defend countries that are within Russia’s geographical or cultural orbit, let alone risk armageddon, and all the treaties in the world won’t change it. Moldova, Serbia, Croatia etc and last but not least Poland are up for grabs.

Putin will stop where he wishes to, not where we wish him to. The response to this outrageous invasion has been if we are kind, fractured/limited and I can’t imagine Putin is not enjoying a hearty lunch at this very moment.

Solution? Firstly pray the man dies. Next, reduce economic dependence on Russia, lastly try to buy time to re-arm - and I know that won’t go down well on here. Sadly dictators know no other form of response - and it’s always the people that suffer.

The US has moved another 8000 troops into the Baltic states over the last couple of days! Are they there for a holiday or honouring their commitment to NATO?
Incidentally I know a bloke working in Germany at Ramstein one of the US,s pre position sites for their equipment for rapid reinforcement of the European theatre and he is working 24/7 getting the kit into shape.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2022 22:55]
The question to ask now is about the Baltic States on 03:22 - Feb 26 with 396 viewsEireannach_gorm

[Redacted] on 10:16 - Feb 25 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

Does this sound familiar?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Georgian_War
The question to ask now is about the Baltic States on 08:46 - Feb 26 with 345 viewsElephantintheRoom

The last time countries were gobbled up by a mad dictator in Europe we declared war, without having the means to assist those countries, retreated at the first sign of opposition - and let the red army fight The war on our behalf. That won’t work this time for obvious reasons.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

The question to ask now is about the Baltic States on 08:52 - Feb 26 with 338 viewsbluejacko

The question to ask now is about the Baltic States on 08:46 - Feb 26 by ElephantintheRoom

The last time countries were gobbled up by a mad dictator in Europe we declared war, without having the means to assist those countries, retreated at the first sign of opposition - and let the red army fight The war on our behalf. That won’t work this time for obvious reasons.

Not Russian by any chance are you?
The question to ask now is about the Baltic States on 10:40 - Feb 26 with 304 viewsChurchman

The question to ask now is about the Baltic States on 08:46 - Feb 26 by ElephantintheRoom

That isn’t how it was at all.

Edit: your comment is actually insulting to all who contributed during WW2 in a million different ways to give you the comfortable lifestyle you enjoy.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2022 12:05]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024