Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Local archaeology / Freston 17:21 - Apr 3 with 654 viewsstringy

In an attempt to post something that doesn't deal with the current ills (and a shameless plug for what we're up to), we've just launched our website on our work down at Freston that we started in earnest last summer, and were kinda hoping to return to this August...

It's an Early Neolithic (introduction of farming) 'causewayed enclosure', 4th largest in Britain, which is where people came to worship, feast, exchange and meet marriage partners - so a bit like FPR/Fanzone on a good day.

About 5600 years old (which for our younger readers is a bit further back in time since we last beat Norwich) and a Historic England scheduled monument - not that most people know it's there.

If we do get back there this summer (not holding breath) then we will do an open day and I can let people know ahead of time if anyone wants to pootle along, otherwise see you in the Greyhound pre-match (unless I'm still stuck in Canada)

https://freston.mcmaster.ca/
Local archaeology / Freston on 17:46 - Apr 3 with 600 viewsFtnfwest

Ftnfwest jnr doing first year of Archaeology course at Uni of Nottingham (or was - it’s continuing on line). So would be interested as his fieldwork which was planned for abroad has been cancelled as well.
Local archaeology / Freston on 17:49 - Apr 3 with 599 viewsstringy

Local archaeology / Freston on 17:46 - Apr 3 by Ftnfwest

Ftnfwest jnr doing first year of Archaeology course at Uni of Nottingham (or was - it’s continuing on line). So would be interested as his fieldwork which was planned for abroad has been cancelled as well.

did my degree in archaeology at Nottingham in 84-87 then came back to work for Suffolk Unit at Buttermarket, Castle Hill Whitton etc

if things improve get him to shoot me an email (on site, or message me here)

I also have an excavation in the Greek islands earlier in the summer but can't see that going ahead
Local archaeology / Freston on 17:55 - Apr 3 with 590 viewsFtnfwest

Local archaeology / Freston on 17:49 - Apr 3 by stringy

did my degree in archaeology at Nottingham in 84-87 then came back to work for Suffolk Unit at Buttermarket, Castle Hill Whitton etc

if things improve get him to shoot me an email (on site, or message me here)

I also have an excavation in the Greek islands earlier in the summer but can't see that going ahead

Small world, thanks for letting me know. He would be happy I’m sure to help out if you need anyone and it could count towards field work. We’ll have to see how it all goes obviously in next few weeks. I think they may Transfer some required fieldwork to next year but all up in the air at moment.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024