Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tartan army appreciation thread 07:40 - Jun 18 with 2722 viewsbluelagos

Genoa in Italia 90 was the port to get a ferry to Sardinia where England were playing. Having just missed a ferry (one a day) I had the pleasure of spending a day with the tartan army in all their glory.

Some lads filled supermarket trollies with beer and lowered them into the fountains to keep the beer cool. Plenty of footie games vs the locals, the plod and the few England fans (was on way to 2nd match so most were already in Sardinia)

Favourite moment was a local Sampdoria pestering the fans to swap a Scotland shirt for a Sampdoria one (Sounness was a link) and getting thrown in the fountain. He wasn't happy but a couple of cans calmed him down.

Not a hint of bother 48 hours before the infamous England v Holland clashes. They sort of self police without the overt aggression you sometimes get with England.

Trust today is a fun if losing day for them.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Tartan army appreciation thread on 07:42 - Jun 18 with 2324 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Sounds different to the Rangers fans I witnessed in Manchester.

I suspect 99% of England fans are fine too, let's not tar them all with the same brush.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Tartan army appreciation thread on 07:57 - Jun 18 with 2252 viewsBbmaj

Tartan army appreciation thread on 07:42 - Jun 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

I suspect 99% of England fans are fine too, let's not tar them all with the same brush.

I appreciate my tartan brothers and sisters, but let’s not pretend there’s all good or bad in any group.

Club vs country = I think it’s down to a different type of support and tribalism.

I frequently see/hear Engerland supporters being jingoistic and outwardly offensive, before and after matches. Maybe it’s part of the “we are the best” mindset inherited from Empire days/thanks to 1966 and why we always get null points when it’s a popularity contest.

The Scottish national team don’t have any expectation of winning every tournament so fans can focus on having a good time.

(Some) Rangers fans are wannabe England fans? Not an accusation, just thinking about politics and history, and attempting a feeble joke.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 7:59]
Tartan army appreciation thread on 07:58 - Jun 18 with 2247 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Indeed.

No overt aggression... apart from throwing a local in a fountain.

I think Lagos has romanticised Scottish supporters a tad there.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Tartan army appreciation thread on 08:02 - Jun 18 with 2222 viewsMetal_Hacker

Tartan army appreciation thread on 07:58 - Jun 18 by The_Flashing_Smile

Indeed.

I've just seen that guy being thrown in the fountain...disgusting !!

Yeah ......the Tartan Army - lovely people hey

Poll: If it were one or the other

Tartan army appreciation thread on 08:05 - Jun 18 with 2181 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Tartan army appreciation thread on 07:57 - Jun 18 by Bbmaj

I appreciate my tartan brothers and sisters, but let’s not pretend there’s all good or bad in any group.

Club vs country = I think it’s down to a different type of support and tribalism.

I frequently see/hear Engerland supporters being jingoistic and outwardly offensive, before and after matches. Maybe it’s part of the “we are the best” mindset inherited from Empire days/thanks to 1966 and why we always get null points when it’s a popularity contest.

The Scottish national team don’t have any expectation of winning every tournament so fans can focus on having a good time.

(Some) Rangers fans are wannabe England fans? Not an accusation, just thinking about politics and history, and attempting a feeble joke.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 7:59]

Although many Scotland fans you meet will also tell you how much they hate the English.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 8:06]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Tartan army appreciation thread on 08:09 - Jun 18 with 2152 viewsbluelagos

Tartan army appreciation thread on 07:58 - Jun 18 by The_Flashing_Smile

Indeed.

For sure. But there would have been a couple of thousand Scots on the lash, without a hint of agro.

Compare and contrast:

The next night on the overland ferry to Porto Torres, 2 England fans held up the bar on the ferry, used a knife and knicked the takings.

When we docked the caribinerri put the 50 or so England fans in a room at the terminal.

Plod: Ok, who held up the bar?
Silence
Plod: It's 9am and kick off is 8 this eveving. Its a 6 hour drive to Cagliari. So if we hold you all for 6 hours whilst we make enquiries, you will all miss the game.
I'll ask again, who was it?

48 hands pointed at the pair. :-)

Am sure the TA are not all angelic but a day in their company was hugely enjoyable in stark contrast to many occasions following England.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 8:12]

Tartan army appreciation thread on 08:11 - Jun 18 with 2136 viewsBbmaj

Tartan army appreciation thread on 08:05 - Jun 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

Although many Scotland fans you meet will also tell you how much they hate the English.

No surprise if my comments on English attitudes had any validity! Treat people well, expect nice treatment in return.

But I think it’s largely just a wind up, which works more often than not.

Edit: I’m proud to be a bor from Suffolk. I’m also a citizen of planet earth. I don’t have much time for the divisiveness and problems which lie betwixt and between.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 8:19]
Tartan army appreciation thread on 08:13 - Jun 18 with 2109 viewsgiant_stow

With Scotland supporting, how do rangers and celtic fans rub along?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

Tartan army appreciation thread on 08:16 - Jun 18 with 2104 viewsReuser_is_God

Is slightly annoying how they are being lauded for the same behaviour that England would get skated for.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Tartan army appreciation thread on 08:19 - Jun 18 with 2077 viewsFunge

Tartan army appreciation thread on 08:05 - Jun 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

I'd be disappointed if they didn't.

In the absence of the budgie derby (hopefully back for 22/23), I'll gladly take England/ Scotland.
Tartan army appreciation thread on 08:20 - Jun 18 with 2070 viewsbluelagos

Tartan army appreciation thread on 08:16 - Jun 18 by Reuser_is_God

Is slightly annoying how they are being lauded for the same behaviour that England would get skated for.

Italian police defo had a different approach to policing the 2 sets of fans. But the point is, the Scots get utterly trashed without the overt aggression towards everyone else.

Ten german bombers, no surrender, rule brittania tell a story & set a different tone.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 8:22]

Tartan army appreciation thread on 08:21 - Jun 18 with 2060 viewsWD19

Paul Lambert has let himself go....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-51209003
Tartan army appreciation thread on 08:22 - Jun 18 with 2044 viewsChurchman

Tartan army appreciation thread on 08:13 - Jun 18 by giant_stow

If Alan Brazil’s book is anything to go by, there’s a kind of short term truce when the national losers stumble about the pitch.
Tartan army appreciation thread on 08:44 - Jun 18 with 1983 viewsnoggin

Tartan army appreciation thread on 08:13 - Jun 18 by giant_stow

I think a lot of Celtic fans support Ireland.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Tartan army appreciation thread on 08:50 - Jun 18 with 1961 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Like when they jovially trashed Wembley. The scamps.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 8:51]

Tartan army appreciation thread on 08:53 - Jun 18 with 1920 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Tartan army appreciation thread on 08:11 - Jun 18 by Bbmaj

No surprise if my comments on English attitudes had any validity! Treat people well, expect nice treatment in return.

But I think it’s largely just a wind up, which works more often than not.

Edit: I’m proud to be a bor from Suffolk. I’m also a citizen of planet earth. I don’t have much time for the divisiveness and problems which lie betwixt and between.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 8:19]

Not sure it is a wind up to be honest, it's often fairly engrained.

I guy I know won't let his kids have England kits although they want them. They were born in England, lived here all their lives and have an English mum.

Tartan army appreciation thread on 08:55 - Jun 18 with 1912 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Tartan army appreciation thread on 08:20 - Jun 18 by bluelagos

Italian police defo had a different approach to policing the 2 sets of fans. But the point is, the Scots get utterly trashed without the overt aggression towards everyone else.

Ten german bombers, no surrender, rule brittania tell a story & set a different tone.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 8:22]

There is an element of England fans that are disgraceful, but it's not everyone.

Scottish fans are well known for their racist chants week in week out, maybe that simmers when they join the tartan army?

Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:04 - Jun 18 with 1864 viewsbluelagos

Tartan army appreciation thread on 08:55 - Jun 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

There is an element of England fans that are disgraceful, but it's not everyone.

Scottish fans are well known for their racist chants week in week out, maybe that simmers when they join the tartan army?

"...but it's not everyone"

Not sure where you got that from MM given I clearly stated

"They sort of self police without the overt aggression you sometimes get with England."

Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:04 - Jun 18 with 1865 viewsnoggin

Let's be honest though, if you were to travel to an away game with Scotland, you would be far less likely to witness dickheads acting confrontationally, than you would with England.

Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:09 - Jun 18 with 1825 viewsbluelagos

Tartan army appreciation thread on 08:55 - Jun 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

Given the levels of sectarianism at old firm matches, it's some contrast to how the TA conduct themselves, absolutely.

Some of that will be that many of the Rangers and Celtic fans more extreme fans won't follow Scotland. Plus there will be many fans from smaller clubs enjoying a chance for travel. But the overall point is they have managed to get a culture of fun, first and foremost.

Couple of Scottish mates put it thus "The problem with you lot is you actually convince yourselves you are going to win. We have no such illusions so simply go to enjoy ourselves"

Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:10 - Jun 18 with 1817 viewsMattinLondon

Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:04 - Jun 18 by noggin

Let's be honest though, if you were to travel to an away game with Scotland, you would be far less likely to witness dickheads acting confrontationally, than you would with England.

I’ve never been to an England away game - in the 70s and 80s I’m certain that a lot of fans travelling were morons but is that still the case nowadays?

Is like watching rolling news and thinking that there is so much more crime now simply because everything serious gets National attention to a far greater detail than thirty years ago.

Are there any posters who have travelled frequently with England since the 80s? And if so, has anything changed in terms of behaviour?
Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:12 - Jun 18 with 1798 viewsbluelagos

Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:04 - Jun 18 by noggin

100% agree

Plenty of videos of Scots fans all over twitter atm of Scots fans utterly trashed yesterday. Not seen one video of any violence.

Hopefully stays the same.

Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:16 - Jun 18 with 1781 viewsnoggin

Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:12 - Jun 18 by bluelagos

100% agree

Plenty of videos of Scots fans all over twitter atm of Scots fans utterly trashed yesterday. Not seen one video of any violence.

Hopefully stays the same.

I'm pretty sure any trouble, if there is any, will come from English fans confronting them.

Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:16 - Jun 18 with 1781 viewsbluelagos

Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:10 - Jun 18 by MattinLondon

I’ve never been to an England away game - in the 70s and 80s I’m certain that a lot of fans travelling were morons but is that still the case nowadays?

Is like watching rolling news and thinking that there is so much more crime now simply because everything serious gets National attention to a far greater detail than thirty years ago.

Are there any posters who have travelled frequently with England since the 80s? And if so, has anything changed in terms of behaviour?

Massively tbf

I went of World Cups in Italia 90, France 98 and Japan 02.

In Italia 90, I'd say 75% of fans (There were only ever 3k max there) were hardcore and ready for a fight. A chunk of them would instigate it and a load more jump in.

Contrast that now where it's probably less than 10% looking for a fight. So massive improvements imho.

Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:19 - Jun 18 with 1749 viewsnoggin

Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:16 - Jun 18 by bluelagos

Massively tbf

I went of World Cups in Italia 90, France 98 and Japan 02.

In Italia 90, I'd say 75% of fans (There were only ever 3k max there) were hardcore and ready for a fight. A chunk of them would instigate it and a load more jump in.

Contrast that now where it's probably less than 10% looking for a fight. So massive improvements imho.

I believe a few thousand English 'lads' are banned from leaving the country when the national team are playing.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024