Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. 08:26 - Sep 16 with 9803 viewsgordon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41289080

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:36 - Sep 18 with 3841 viewsDarth_Koont

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:31 - Sep 18 by FrowsyArmLarry

Supply and demand. If you cut off the supply and nobody wants to do your low paid job what are you going to do?

Give me an example. Including who absorbs the cost of higher wages.

Pronouns: He/Him

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:41 - Sep 18 with 3836 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:36 - Sep 18 by Darth_Koont

Give me an example. Including who absorbs the cost of higher wages.

Either the shareholder takes a hit or the customer pays the wages.

As an example:- A friend of mine was earning £18k aged 23 working as a operator in a factory in 2004. The same job now pays under 15k.
BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:42 - Sep 18 with 3833 viewsnoggin

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:31 - Sep 18 by FrowsyArmLarry

Supply and demand. If you cut off the supply and nobody wants to do your low paid job what are you going to do?

Increase prices? Lay workers off? Go bust?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:43 - Sep 18 with 3826 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:42 - Sep 18 by noggin

Increase prices? Lay workers off? Go bust?

Or just maybe take less dividend?
BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:44 - Sep 18 with 3820 viewsnoggin

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:43 - Sep 18 by FrowsyArmLarry

lol.

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:45 - Sep 18 with 3816 viewsnoggin

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:43 - Sep 18 by FrowsyArmLarry

Or move to a country where people will do the work?

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:46 - Sep 18 with 3814 viewsDarth_Koont

You communist.

Nice idea but of course that's not how the UK in 2017 works — or even should work according to the ruling government and its voters.

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:49 - Sep 18 with 3802 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:45 - Sep 18 by noggin

Or move to a country where people will do the work?

Most of them have already done that haven't they? You can't move all the service sector jobs though.... although you can automate a lot of them. We are on a downward spiral and I guess we need to accept it and, along with that, a poorer quality of life.
Login to get fewer ads

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:52 - Sep 18 with 3792 viewsnoggin

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:49 - Sep 18 by FrowsyArmLarry

Most of them have already done that haven't they? You can't move all the service sector jobs though.... although you can automate a lot of them. We are on a downward spiral and I guess we need to accept it and, along with that, a poorer quality of life.

Indeed. The service sector is reliant on people having money to spend.

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 13:11 - Sep 18 with 3761 viewsblue_oyster

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:13 - Sep 18 by Darth_Koont

Eh?

How is the European Commission's "thinking" "suffocating innovation"?

The main reason would be that their thinking is based on a system on what you are told you are allowed to do, not what you are not allowed to do.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 13:22 - Sep 18 with 3732 viewsNo9

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 13:11 - Sep 18 by blue_oyster

The main reason would be that their thinking is based on a system on what you are told you are allowed to do, not what you are not allowed to do.

Care to explain that?
BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 13:53 - Sep 18 with 3726 viewsSwansea_Blue

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 17:22 - Sep 16 by GlasgowBlue

Firstly, a great win today and an especially well taken goal by McGoldrick.

Secondly, I really wish people would actually read the words that were written if they are going to pass comment .

Boris is being completely accurate when talking about ‘taking back control’ of the weekly £350 million sent to the EU. The word ‘control’ is crucial.

‘We will take back control of roughly £350 million per week'.

Of course we get money back from that gross figure but crucially we have little to no control of how that money we get back is spent. For example, Brussels decides where to spend regional development cash.

I wish people would be accurate, but it doesn't happen.

The rebate gets deducted before payments, so we don't send an average of anywhere near £350m per week. Include the rebate, replace farm payments and the like (something's going to have to happen here) and there's nowhere near this figure available to spend on the NHS. It's boll0x that's been spouted by leavers since day 1 and proven a lie time and again.

And we bid for regional development funds according to our priorities. I don't know how the rest of the Union manages it, but here in Wales it's coordinated by the Welsh Govt. They have their own priorities, trawl for additional ideas from industry and the research base, and define how the money is spent in each project or programme. There are different funding streams with different eligibility rules, but by and large we decide which areas the money is spent on for strategic projects. And other schemes allow businesses and Universities to bid for money in areas of interest to them.

It's not without problems: the admin, financial accountability and auditing requirements being amongst the biggest drains. But we do have a lot of choice.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 14:13 - Sep 18 with 3711 viewsreusersfreekicks

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 13:11 - Sep 18 by blue_oyster

Oh dear....
BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 14:21 - Sep 18 with 3689 viewsNo9

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 13:53 - Sep 18 by Swansea_Blue

I wish people would be accurate, but it doesn't happen.

The rebate gets deducted before payments, so we don't send an average of anywhere near £350m per week. Include the rebate, replace farm payments and the like (something's going to have to happen here) and there's nowhere near this figure available to spend on the NHS. It's boll0x that's been spouted by leavers since day 1 and proven a lie time and again.

And we bid for regional development funds according to our priorities. I don't know how the rest of the Union manages it, but here in Wales it's coordinated by the Welsh Govt. They have their own priorities, trawl for additional ideas from industry and the research base, and define how the money is spent in each project or programme. There are different funding streams with different eligibility rules, but by and large we decide which areas the money is spent on for strategic projects. And other schemes allow businesses and Universities to bid for money in areas of interest to them.

It's not without problems: the admin, financial accountability and auditing requirements being amongst the biggest drains. But we do have a lot of choice.

& we know with the well coneected queing up for hand-outs the likelyhood of the NHS or any other worthy causes getting any money is slim to Nil.
BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 14:43 - Sep 18 with 3690 viewsDarth_Koont

Give me an example.

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 16:45 - Sep 18 with 3661 viewsm14_blue

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 09:52 - Sep 18 by GlasgowBlue

So we currently have control of just £98m of the £350m, but after Brexit we will have "control" over the full £350m (£361m according to your link)

Is that correct?

Sounds right to me.

So Boris was lying when he said we would take back control of £350m then?
BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 16:49 - Sep 18 with 3653 viewsblue_oyster

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 14:43 - Sep 18 by Darth_Koont

Give me an example.

Their entire system of law is based on that principle. Did you not know this?

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 16:52 - Sep 18 with 3651 viewschicoazul

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:41 - Sep 18 by FrowsyArmLarry

Either the shareholder takes a hit or the customer pays the wages.

As an example:- A friend of mine was earning £18k aged 23 working as a operator in a factory in 2004. The same job now pays under 15k.

Where? I have been hiring for Operator jobs in factories for over 7 years now. Most of them start at about £9/hour which = 18k more or less.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 16:54 - Sep 18 with 3638 viewsGlasgowBlue

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 16:45 - Sep 18 by m14_blue

Sounds right to me.

So Boris was lying when he said we would take back control of £350m then?

No. Here is what he said.....

“Once we have settled our accounts, we will take back control of roughly £350 million per week. It would be a fine thing, as many of us have pointed out, if a lot of that money went on the NHS…”

Boris doesn’t say there would be £350 million extra money available for the NHS. He talks about “control”, because over half of how this money is spent is currently controlled by the EU. Boris says all of it will be controlled by the UK.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 17:44 - Sep 18 with 3618 viewsm14_blue

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 16:54 - Sep 18 by GlasgowBlue

“Once we have settled our accounts, we will take back control of roughly £350 million per week. It would be a fine thing, as many of us have pointed out, if a lot of that money went on the NHS…”

Boris doesn’t say there would be £350 million extra money available for the NHS. He talks about “control”, because over half of how this money is spent is currently controlled by the EU. Boris says all of it will be controlled by the UK.

No, I understand the semantics, but we already have complete and total control of 98m of that money.

Or does he mean 250m when he says 'roughly 350m'?

I'm not actually that bothered and don't think it really make any difference, either way it is an eye watering amount of money.

I'm just interested if Boris is just really stupid or if he thinks the rest of us are.
BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 18:01 - Sep 18 with 3609 viewsDarth_Koont

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 16:49 - Sep 18 by blue_oyster

I know that's what you think it is. But I want you to give me a single example.

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 18:04 - Sep 18 with 3592 viewsNo9

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 16:54 - Sep 18 by GlasgowBlue

That is incorrect because you have to take the nett amount the UK sends to the EU not the gross.
This is circa £90m less and has already been spent by the administration which is why the national debt continues to grow to what Mr Hammond described as an 'eye watering amount of debt'.

On a less than appetising note the current mob have already promised so much to so many (not including what we DON'T know) that even if it were £350 m it would not be enough so we can conclude the NHS will get nowt - now there's a surprise.
BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 18:05 - Sep 18 with 3596 viewsblue_oyster

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 18:01 - Sep 18 by Darth_Koont

I know that's what you think it is. But I want you to give me a single example.

I don't *think* it is. It's a fact. Why don't you look it up and check if you don't believe me?

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 18:07 - Sep 18 with 3588 viewsNo9

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 16:49 - Sep 18 by blue_oyster

Please explain.
BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 18:10 - Sep 18 with 3588 viewsDarth_Koont

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 18:05 - Sep 18 by blue_oyster

I don't *think* it is. It's a fact. Why don't you look it up and check if you don't believe me?

I can't seem to find anything that supports what you say. Which is odd when you're so sure.

Is this another one of your faith-based arguments?

Present your evidence and then we can discuss it like rational human beings.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024