Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Lib Dems are going all in 23:34 - Sep 9 with 4642 viewsStokieBlue

Looks like they are thinking about campaigning on a revoke article 50 ticket for any general election.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/09/liberal-democrats-poised-to-bac

Certainly clear on their position if they do but will make any coalitions difficult.

It's bold.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The Lib Dems are going all in on 23:46 - Sep 9 with 3923 viewsJ2BLUE

Swinson nodded when BJ said she wanted a second referendum. A referendum she has openly said she wouldn't honour if we voted leave again.

Rest of post edited as factually incorrect!
[Post edited 10 Sep 2019 0:39]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The Lib Dems are going all in on 00:24 - Sep 10 with 3870 viewsGuthrum

Presumably they are hoping to sweep up all the 14.5m non-Scots Remain voters from 2016. Would probably stand them a good chance of winning the election. Especially if they then formed an alliance with the SNP.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2019 0:26]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The Lib Dems are going all in on 00:34 - Sep 10 with 3839 viewsClapham_Junction

The Lib Dems are going all in on 23:46 - Sep 9 by J2BLUE

Swinson nodded when BJ said she wanted a second referendum. A referendum she has openly said she wouldn't honour if we voted leave again.

She's always been a Lib Dem.

Agree that she's awful though. First Lib Dem leader that I've taken a dislike to.
The Lib Dems are going all in on 00:38 - Sep 10 with 3822 viewsJ2BLUE

The Lib Dems are going all in on 00:34 - Sep 10 by Clapham_Junction

She's always been a Lib Dem.

Agree that she's awful though. First Lib Dem leader that I've taken a dislike to.

You're right. I could have sworn she was Labour then defected to independent group. I'm obviously getting her mixed up with someone.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The Lib Dems are going all in on 00:38 - Sep 10 with 3823 viewsGuthrum

Think you may have the wrong person. Swinson has been a LibDem since the age of 17, was a junior minister in the Coalition.

The Lib Dems are going all in on 07:11 - Sep 10 with 3658 viewstractordownsouth

Don’t get me wrong, I think Brexit is batsh1t crazy. But I find it hard to get on board with a policy of revoking article 50 without any form of public vote for confirmation.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

The Lib Dems are going all in on 07:21 - Sep 10 with 3626 viewsPlums

The Lib Dems are going all in on 07:11 - Sep 10 by tractordownsouth

Don’t get me wrong, I think Brexit is batsh1t crazy. But I find it hard to get on board with a policy of revoking article 50 without any form of public vote for confirmation.

That would be the general election in this instance

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

The Lib Dems are going all in on 07:28 - Sep 10 with 3605 viewsTractorWood

Generally an election would be seen as a public vote. I'd vote for it. It's a workable and pragmatic solution to Brexit.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2019 7:28]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Login to get fewer ads

The Lib Dems are going all in on 07:33 - Sep 10 with 3586 viewsfooters

The Lib Dems are going all in on 00:38 - Sep 10 by J2BLUE

You're right. I could have sworn she was Labour then defected to independent group. I'm obviously getting her mixed up with someone.

Chuka Umunna? Easily done.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The Lib Dems are going all in on 07:42 - Sep 10 with 3558 viewsgordon

The Lib Dems are going all in on 07:28 - Sep 10 by TractorWood

Generally an election would be seen as a public vote. I'd vote for it. It's a workable and pragmatic solution to Brexit.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2019 7:28]

By a country mile it's the best solution to Brexit.
The Lib Dems are going all in on 07:47 - Sep 10 with 3544 viewscrunchie1978

Jo swindle
The Lib Dems are going all in on 08:17 - Sep 10 with 3472 viewsitfcjoe

THink it is probably the right way to go, natural progression from what has always been a strong and clear message that they have had to membership of the EU.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Lib Dems are going all in on 08:20 - Sep 10 with 3454 viewshampstead_blue

Smart move.
They will be pushing Labour for the second largest party.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

The Lib Dems are going all in on 08:29 - Sep 10 with 3433 viewsGuthrum

The Lib Dems are going all in on 08:20 - Sep 10 by hampstead_blue

Smart move.
They will be pushing Labour for the second largest party.

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see a collapse in both Conservative and Labour numbers, with a much larger (even than 2005) LibDem group and the SNP virtually cleaning up in Scotland.

The Lib Dems are going all in on 09:13 - Sep 10 with 3363 viewshampstead_blue

The Lib Dems are going all in on 08:29 - Sep 10 by Guthrum

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see a collapse in both Conservative and Labour numbers, with a much larger (even than 2005) LibDem group and the SNP virtually cleaning up in Scotland.

The only hopes the Tories have are to get rid of BloJo and pray Farage tells his voters to back them.

We would need some kind of deal though. No Deal is not an option I would want.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

The Lib Dems are going all in on 09:21 - Sep 10 with 3334 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Tend to agree, but think if a party wins an election standing on a revoke Article 50 ticket then that very much serves as a democratic endorsement to do so

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

The Lib Dems are going all in on 09:22 - Sep 10 with 3330 viewsblueislander

The Lib Dems are going all in on 07:47 - Sep 10 by crunchie1978

Jo swindle

Another erudite, and intellectually faultless post by Crunchie. These ardent Brexieers are doing themselves proud with the weight of their arguments.
The Lib Dems are going all in on 09:25 - Sep 10 with 3318 viewsGuthrum

The Lib Dems are going all in on 09:13 - Sep 10 by hampstead_blue

The only hopes the Tories have are to get rid of BloJo and pray Farage tells his voters to back them.

We would need some kind of deal though. No Deal is not an option I would want.

Farage will only back Johnson if No Deal is at least a strong possibility. A deal even remotely resembling May's would be unacceptable. After all he's said, it would destroy his own support base to go for anything less.

However, if Johnson can present some kind of deal - even just a reworded version of May's - he stands a chance of getting something. Possibly even a successful vote through the Commons before an election takes place. It's No Deal the majority in the House objects to, not necessarily Brexit itself.

The Lib Dems are going all in on 09:28 - Sep 10 with 3300 viewsEdmundo

The Lib Dems are going all in on 09:21 - Sep 10 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Tend to agree, but think if a party wins an election standing on a revoke Article 50 ticket then that very much serves as a democratic endorsement to do so

The current Tory and Lab MPs will never want an election on the basis that this might happen (A50 is revoked), and simultaneously the two biggest parties of the past hundred years would be decimated. It's a wonderful thought but turkeys and Christmas spring to mind.

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

The Lib Dems are going all in on 09:30 - Sep 10 with 3294 viewsblueislander

The Lib Dems are going all in on 09:25 - Sep 10 by Guthrum

Farage will only back Johnson if No Deal is at least a strong possibility. A deal even remotely resembling May's would be unacceptable. After all he's said, it would destroy his own support base to go for anything less.

However, if Johnson can present some kind of deal - even just a reworded version of May's - he stands a chance of getting something. Possibly even a successful vote through the Commons before an election takes place. It's No Deal the majority in the House objects to, not necessarily Brexit itself.

Whilst that is undoubtedly true, if given the opportunity, I reckon the majority of MPs would vote remain again.
The Lib Dems are going all in on 09:32 - Sep 10 with 3285 viewsGuthrum

The Lib Dems are going all in on 09:30 - Sep 10 by blueislander

Whilst that is undoubtedly true, if given the opportunity, I reckon the majority of MPs would vote remain again.

Tho set against that must be the "respecting the will of the people" thing. Which carries some weight, whether you think it's right or not.

The Lib Dems are going all in on 09:36 - Sep 10 with 3275 viewsGuthrum

The Lib Dems are going all in on 09:28 - Sep 10 by Edmundo

The current Tory and Lab MPs will never want an election on the basis that this might happen (A50 is revoked), and simultaneously the two biggest parties of the past hundred years would be decimated. It's a wonderful thought but turkeys and Christmas spring to mind.

However, we currently have a non-functional administration which is not in the position to even get crucial legislation through the House. Unless there is an election very soon, the country cannot be governed. Conservatives and Labour have very little choice in the matter.

The Lib Dems are going all in on 09:40 - Sep 10 with 3251 viewsblueislander

The Lib Dems are going all in on 09:32 - Sep 10 by Guthrum

Tho set against that must be the "respecting the will of the people" thing. Which carries some weight, whether you think it's right or not.

We have General Elections every 5 years, at which time we can vote for a different candidate if we believe that they would be better. Why 3 years after the referendum can there not be another one to allow people to vote having had a substantial time to digest the outcome of the first vote? How would that be undemocratic?
The Lib Dems are going all in on 09:54 - Sep 10 with 3210 viewsGuthrum

The Lib Dems are going all in on 09:40 - Sep 10 by blueislander

We have General Elections every 5 years, at which time we can vote for a different candidate if we believe that they would be better. Why 3 years after the referendum can there not be another one to allow people to vote having had a substantial time to digest the outcome of the first vote? How would that be undemocratic?

I don't think it would be. It's the way our system works.

It's only proving problematic this time because we're being asked to make a major watershed decision upon which there is no real chance of going back (even if we do rejoin the EU, it will be upon much less favourable terms), without a substantial degree of consensus (the 2016 Referendum result was little more than 50/50).

Plus the Leavers really didn't believe they would win and are now desperate to hold onto that victory at all costs, thinking it'd be unlikely to happen again.

The Lib Dems are going all in on 10:08 - Sep 10 with 3187 viewsblueislander

The Lib Dems are going all in on 09:54 - Sep 10 by Guthrum

I don't think it would be. It's the way our system works.

It's only proving problematic this time because we're being asked to make a major watershed decision upon which there is no real chance of going back (even if we do rejoin the EU, it will be upon much less favourable terms), without a substantial degree of consensus (the 2016 Referendum result was little more than 50/50).

Plus the Leavers really didn't believe they would win and are now desperate to hold onto that victory at all costs, thinking it'd be unlikely to happen again.

I do wonder how many of those who voted leave in the referendum, having seen how problematical it is to achieve, and having been made aware of the economic consequences of leaving the EU , would change their minds. Unfortunately on here we only seem to get the absolutely entrenched view that the result of the referendum has to be obeyed, and we must leave at all costs. Even in the country at large no one seems to be putting up any really constructive arguments for the benefits of being outside the EU.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024