Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) 22:22 - Sep 1 with 18778 viewsSmithy

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 09:58 - Sep 2 with 2718 viewsBloomBlue

Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 08:21 - Sep 2 by Metal_Hacker

Who knows what it is and to be perfectly honest I don't really care

What he has accomplished to create the squad we have with the speed and professionalism is nothing other than outstanding

That said it's all very early days and I'm sure we'll have our beef at some point with those at the top - it's inevitable , it's football

Perhaps Bristol City fans find themselves where they thought they wouldn't be - still in the Champ as simple as that

For now I'm going to do nothing but sit back wait for our fortunes to change in terms of results and performances and enjoy the ride

I agree although I do think in a funny sort of way COVID has made it easier, if COVID had never happened would some of those players be available and/or how much would they have cost? COVID has changed the financial landscape if the likes of Chaplin had cost £1m £2m as they probably would have done pre COVID would we have this same quality squad as we have now.
Fortune favours the brave, that's why promotion is the only option this year
Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 10:11 - Sep 2 with 2691 viewsitfcjoe

Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 09:02 - Sep 2 by JackSted

Most brizzle fans also believe that Ashton only signed the players that were affiliated with his "agent mates", and has been the same with us????

But haven't most of our signings been affiliated with Cook rather than Ashton's mates lmao

If you look at lots of our signings they are often from Stellar Group, or Wasserman - Stellar especially.

It's certainly interesting, but nothing like Jorge Mendes etc

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 10:14 - Sep 2 with 2675 viewsSharkey

Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 10:11 - Sep 2 by itfcjoe

If you look at lots of our signings they are often from Stellar Group, or Wasserman - Stellar especially.

You mean under the new regime, or it's been like that a while?
Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 10:30 - Sep 2 with 2620 viewstractorboy1978

Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 10:11 - Sep 2 by itfcjoe

Isn't it Stellar Group that Dyer is good mates with the second in command?
They despise and are indulging in a 7 page hate fest on their forum… on 10:34 - Sep 2 with 2599 viewsBehind_Enemy_Lines

They despise and are indulging in a 7 page hate fest on their forum… on 23:20 - Sep 1 by Churchman

Ashton is certainly a hate figure for those knuckle draggers. One doesn’t like Russell Osman either. Oh well. At the time of his appointment here, there were a number of journalist articles that contradicted their viewpoint.

Either way if Bristol’s lobotomised mob want to know what bad really looks like, I give you Evans, Milne and Clegg for whom a even working set of floodlight bulbs was a challenge too far.

Yeah agree with you there but they did knock out of the park with the painting of the turnstiles 🤣🤣
Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 10:45 - Sep 2 with 2560 viewsitfcjoe

Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 10:14 - Sep 2 by Sharkey

You mean under the new regime, or it's been like that a while?

New regime, not sure where it ended, but at one point nearly every player we were linked with was from Stellar Group - but not sure when it came down to it they all signed here.

Don't think anything unusual in it, and having relationships with big agents is a good thing (to an extent), and not sure anyone would argue with quality of player brought in

Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 10:47 - Sep 2 with 2553 viewsitfcjoe

Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 10:30 - Sep 2 by tractorboy1978

Isn't it Stellar Group that Dyer is good mates with the second in command?

Yep, I presume he used to be Dyer's agent, but is now a good mate as noted on here - David Mannesseh. He's basically Jonathan Barnett's number 2 - and whilst Barnett doesn't get as much press as as Jorge Mendes or Mina Raiola, he is very much a super-agent

Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 10:58 - Sep 2 with 2496 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Think the answer lies in their league performances. They were pretty much an established second division club when he arrived (7 of the past 9 seasons there) and remained the same during his spell, albeit with only 1 top 10 finish despite some significant investment, and going backwards with 12th and 19th place finishes the past 2 years

Think there’s definitely something in the point about expectations being too high though - it is notable that they are still historically at a level which is good for them and from the outside they look to be a much improved club generally (albeit the investment helps!) and operated at a high level in the transfer market. Probably some parallels with the manager that shouldn’t be named here with familiarity breeding contempt

Also think LankHenners hits the nail on the head that perceptions here may change over time. Arguably coming into a down-trodden club that suddenly has a large transfer kitty and making some splashy signings is the easy bit, the real test will come when players are sold, or if/when it doesn’t translate on the pitch. That’s not to say what he’s done so far hasn’t been impressive as it certainly has

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 11:22 - Sep 2 with 2450 viewsStrimmer

Did Ashton subtly reference this stellar group/agent mates thing in his interview?

'We had to call on existing relationships in the football industry.. there's no recruitment department in this club'

I read: we had no choice but to use existing agent networks as there's no scouting whatsoever, but we will put that in place and reduce reliance on agent contacts in future.'

Poll: Was it a punch?

Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 11:26 - Sep 2 with 2432 viewstimothyeo

We should take note of what they say but remember to judge on what he does at this club.

So just as Cook has a good track record, he's been abysmal here so far.

Whereas despite Bristol's fans problems with Ashton, he's very much overdelivered on the playing squad thus far.
Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 11:47 - Sep 2 with 2395 viewscrouchendyachtclub

I asked a BC supporting friend about this. His take was that the fans who don't like him thought he was smarmy and didn't keep his promises. He did recognise that the reasoning was more down to economic and operational restrictions rather than anything that Ashton was specifically responsible for.

At the time I equated it to MM - he did the best that he could with the resources that he had, it's just that wasn't always in line with some of the unrealistic expectations of some fans.
Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 12:47 - Sep 2 with 2273 viewsElephantintheRoom

Patronising buffoon who swans into clubs take a huge salary for doing very little and jumps off for the next stop on the gravy train.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 13:25 - Sep 2 with 2203 viewsSamWhiteUK

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/ipswich-town-squad-size.1559082/post-34528

Here is a collation of thoughts
Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 13:42 - Sep 2 with 2147 viewsDyland

Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 12:47 - Sep 2 by ElephantintheRoom

Patronising buffoon who swans into clubs take a huge salary for doing very little and jumps off for the next stop on the gravy train.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 13:43 - Sep 2 with 2147 viewsitfcsuth

Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 09:02 - Sep 2 by JackSted

Most brizzle fans also believe that Ashton only signed the players that were affiliated with his "agent mates", and has been the same with us????

But haven't most of our signings been affiliated with Cook rather than Ashton's mates lmao

I have seen that but don't there is anything to be read into it. ICM Stellar are one of the largest agencies, and do acquire a lot of the best talent, it's only natural that multiple deals will subsequently be done with them.

However, still many of our players are represented by some of the smaller agencies.

Nothing by Ashton at Town to suggest or back up any of Brizzle fans claims on this one.
Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 13:45 - Sep 2 with 2138 viewsChurchman

Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 09:31 - Sep 2 by tractorboy1978

The bottom line is that your average football fan doesn't have the first clue about the ins and outs of running a professional football club. They see the club isn't doing particularly well on the pitch and create/derive opinions and aspersions from that.

I still have an image of the country’s greatest football social club with the Cobbolds and limitless booze. The club secretary, Alf Ramsey, manager’s secretary Pat Godbold, the coach Jimmy Forsyth with his bucket and sponge, baggy tracksuits, a couple of part time scouts and the old groundsman bloke who kept the pitch like a bowling green.

Obviously there was the medical mush 10 years on with Robson and a different coach, but what more do you need?

Ok a stereotypical view but broadly that’s my dated image of a football club. Obviously in the 21st century it’s light years different and I’d love to know how a reasonable sized football club really works.
Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 14:16 - Sep 2 with 2087 viewsStu_Magoo

Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 13:25 - Sep 2 by SamWhiteUK

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/ipswich-town-squad-size.1559082/post-34528

Here is a collation of thoughts

F *ck me! I feel like my IQ has been decimated by having to read that absolute gunge. (although I still made it through 10 pages...)

MA does have a whiff of the slippery wide-boy about him but we wanted a rebuild and that's exactly what we have got.
Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 16:10 - Sep 2 with 1944 viewsChurchman

Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 14:16 - Sep 2 by Stu_Magoo

F *ck me! I feel like my IQ has been decimated by having to read that absolute gunge. (although I still made it through 10 pages...)

MA does have a whiff of the slippery wide-boy about him but we wanted a rebuild and that's exactly what we have got.

I confess, I didn’t read all of it, but read enough to realise that even if they all clubbed together, the 11+ would be some way beyond them.

Ashton may yet be the devil incarnate. Time will tell. If these window lickers are right, it seems a little odd that people like Johnson and Pearson would want to work there.
Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 17:10 - Sep 2 with 1863 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I think a lot of town fans calling Bristol City fans delusional is silly.

Remember when Mick went and every club was telling us how we were wrong for getting rid and we said, you dont know you didn't see everything going on.

If every fan of a club is saying the guy is toxic, perhaps calling them all wrong is silly. He has got everything right so far, but I really find this whole Ashton hero worship a bit strange.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 17:58 - Sep 2 with 1791 viewsBlueBadger

Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 12:47 - Sep 2 by ElephantintheRoom

But enough about Paul Lambert...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 19:05 - Sep 2 with 1713 viewsFrom82Ashes

Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 16:10 - Sep 2 by Churchman

I confess, I didn’t read all of it, but read enough to realise that even if they all clubbed together, the 11+ would be some way beyond them.

Ashton may yet be the devil incarnate. Time will tell. If these window lickers are right, it seems a little odd that people like Johnson and Pearson would want to work there.

As a Bristol City Fan of half a century + , and someone who grew up watching a fantastic footballing team(s) of Woods , Mariner , Mills , Muhren etc and like many at the time having Ipswich as an adopted second side , I thought I’d sign up , and sensibly explain exactly why , to a man , and woman , the Clubs fans dislike, and many totallydespise Ashton , and why we were delighted to see him dissapear and the work to repair the massivemess he left behind could begin

But then I read numerous posts on this thread calling us everything from delusional to the pitiful ‘window lickers’ comment above - embarrassing to be quite honest and if this thread is reflective of your fan base , Well......

For those posts , and there are numerous , I think instead of even starting to bother trying as a fellow football fan , to explain the reasons why to you , a whole number of your fan base need to start reading up on Mr Mark Ashton and the staff and relatives he brings with him , not just at our Club but other Clubs he and his entourage have landed on.

Instead of the pitiful insults from the naive and blind and insulting , I suggest a few start to research , read , and understand , why , Ashton leaves an angry legacy whereever he’s been ..... but somehow I don’t expect that to happen.

So instead I will safely predict that some of you are going to get , exactly what you deserve ,

for the decent Ipswich Fans who deserve far better, it might look and sound good right now , but I genuinely sympathise
[Post edited 2 Sep 2021 19:09]
Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 20:05 - Sep 2 with 1624 viewsvanmunt

Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 19:05 - Sep 2 by From82Ashes

As a Bristol City Fan of half a century + , and someone who grew up watching a fantastic footballing team(s) of Woods , Mariner , Mills , Muhren etc and like many at the time having Ipswich as an adopted second side , I thought I’d sign up , and sensibly explain exactly why , to a man , and woman , the Clubs fans dislike, and many totallydespise Ashton , and why we were delighted to see him dissapear and the work to repair the massivemess he left behind could begin

But then I read numerous posts on this thread calling us everything from delusional to the pitiful ‘window lickers’ comment above - embarrassing to be quite honest and if this thread is reflective of your fan base , Well......

For those posts , and there are numerous , I think instead of even starting to bother trying as a fellow football fan , to explain the reasons why to you , a whole number of your fan base need to start reading up on Mr Mark Ashton and the staff and relatives he brings with him , not just at our Club but other Clubs he and his entourage have landed on.

Instead of the pitiful insults from the naive and blind and insulting , I suggest a few start to research , read , and understand , why , Ashton leaves an angry legacy whereever he’s been ..... but somehow I don’t expect that to happen.

So instead I will safely predict that some of you are going to get , exactly what you deserve ,

for the decent Ipswich Fans who deserve far better, it might look and sound good right now , but I genuinely sympathise

You cannot get upset what people on their clubs forum say about other teams, i can’t imagine anything nice being said about Town on any lg 1 forum.

As you say, we don’t know why City are so upset about Ashton, and to be frank, you don’t have a clue what was going on here before Ashton arrived.

I rarely see anything particularly bad said about other teams on this forum (except Norwich) and quite recently there has been a bit of admiration on how your club has operated in recent years and a tinge of envy at the Lansdowns and your stadium,
I have to say…. on 20:37 - Sep 2 with 1567 viewsunstableblue

Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 17:10 - Sep 2 by TRUE_BLUE123

I think a lot of town fans calling Bristol City fans delusional is silly.

Remember when Mick went and every club was telling us how we were wrong for getting rid and we said, you dont know you didn't see everything going on.

If every fan of a club is saying the guy is toxic, perhaps calling them all wrong is silly. He has got everything right so far, but I really find this whole Ashton hero worship a bit strange.

… I am a little worried by the Bristol City fans’ view of Ashton… there is no smoke without fire.

You do not get that scale and consistency of negativity without some element of truth.

My hope is that this is a different set of owners and senior direction with also O’Leary, and that Cooks managerial position and squad selection role is much clearer.

We need a FECKING win

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 21:08 - Sep 2 with 1510 viewsChurchman

Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 19:05 - Sep 2 by From82Ashes

Actually, ‘window lickers’ is a high bar for plenty of those posting on your thread.

Despite your grief over what people on an Ipswich Town message board think of comments made about a current Ipswich Town CEO and in one case a former ITFC defender of some repute, I suggest you do a bit of research and understand where we are.

There you sit, comfy and snug, established in the Championship whining because you are not in the Premiership. You have Nigel Pearson, appointed by Ashton, who is a manager who built the foundations for Leicester’s success. You have a new football ground, state of the art training facilities, a club structure and in fact a club in the best state it’s ever been in. You are well run and fully deserve to be in the Championship.

By comparison, since 2002 we have a ground where investment amounts to one tin of paint. Until this summer we had no infrastructure, no anything apart from years of decline. We are marooned in League 1 and deserve to be here. We have barely won a cup game in 10 years. What else do you think we ‘exactly deserve’? Give me a legacy that’s worse than the oblivion version we were facing in March? Are you hoping we will fall out of the leagues, go bust?

You talk about our history. I didn’t see much of the ‘adopted second side’ when the stones and bottles rained down on us after the 2-1 cup game at Ashton Gate in 1980.

By the way, I’d like to say that your attempt to weave insults in with compliments when posting on another club’s website probably needs a little work.
Brizzle City Fans, what exactly is their beef with Ashton? (n/t) on 21:19 - Sep 2 with 1486 viewshunty21

Listening to some of their fans it seems andy rolls was a big part of the criticism due to a high level of injuries of players and some of them complained about how they were bei g treated, has history with arsenal and west ham injury crisis , tome will tell if we get a similar experience, surely cant get any worse for ipswich in terms of injury history
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024