Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please 20:13 - Dec 12 with 3809 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I received the following text earlier:

PostOffice: Sorry we missed you today at 14:26 PM on 12/12. Please schedule a re-delivery for your parcel via: [link removed].

Despite not having ordered anything, it looked completely legit and I put in my card details, DOB, and name to pay a 're-delivery' fee. I'm not sure what I was thinking; perhaps that someone had sent me something, and that my phone number was in the delivery info somewhere.

I've since Googled this and have seen that it is indeed a scam.

I've transferred all the funds that were in this account into another account, so there's £0 in there if anyone gains access.

Is this enough to ensure I am 'safe' or is there anything else I can/should do?

I've tried calling the Halifax for their advice but they said I'll be waiting an hour or more (hence why I am posting about about on here in the meantime).

I feel very dumb, or like a 90-year old who fell for it a good'un.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2021 20:55]

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 21:28 - Dec 12 with 886 viewsitfcjoe

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 21:10 - Dec 12 by jeera

Seriously?

What's the point of having a 'hotline' number?

Banks' services have been dragging their heels worse than ever since Covid gave them an excuse it seems.

Trust you got it sorted in the end?

Think all that number can do is cancel cards and not much more

Yep, sorted and have new card and just waiting for payment to be reversed but was seen to not be me - hopefully the company (presuming not part of it) weren't scammed either and sending a product out.

I'd only used the card in one place which was itfc online shop!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 22:04 - Dec 12 with 821 viewsDeano69

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:57 - Dec 12 by bazza

I get scammed at least once a week, does it count when it’s the wife?

I let the scammers keep my card and details. They were spending less than the missus.

But in all seriousness, you should persevere with reporting it with your bank. You have done everything you can so far. Did you enter any passwords anywhere during this? Defo change those of you did.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 22:59 - Dec 12 with 771 viewsFixed_It

As long as you didn't give them your username...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 23:21 - Dec 12 with 748 viewsRyorry

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 22:59 - Dec 12 by Fixed_It

As long as you didn't give them your username...

Not a trivial point that.

Scammers do try and "farm" little bits of info from here and there to try & build up a picture of individuals that would allow them to illicitly go through verification & steal IDs.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2021 23:23]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 06:27 - Dec 13 with 663 viewssotd78

Just in case it also helps.... the Post Office don't actually deliver. The Royal Mail does. The majority if the public still associate both organisations as one and the same. Cancel the card. Check transactions daily until you are sure it's no longer a concern.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 07:45 - Dec 13 with 604 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

You are missing the purpose of the scam, it’s not to call you to transfer, it’s more sophisticated than that.

They will use your details to access your different online accounts in a number of ways, starting with your mobile phone. They have your mobile and date of birth so will attempt to call your provider and make changes to your account including diverting the calls. Once they have done that they will be able to access your bank account pretty easily.

I trust you are not on the public facing electoral roll, because if you are, they now also have your address…..
Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 07:48 - Dec 13 with 598 viewsMeadowlark

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:58 - Dec 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

I don't get how these things work once reported. The bank must know exactly which account the fraud has been conducted through. Once they are informed that the money was fraudulently obtained how come the details do not go to the police who have all they need to trace and arrest the fraudsters? I guess it must be a bit more complicated than this but it smacks of the bank being complicit in the fraud.

Additionally, if there is any CCTV footage of the fraudster delivering the card, that must be evidence too. EDIT: Obviously not in this case where it was by text and not a card.

I received an attempted fraud text asking me to complete my details on the NHS Covid app which I knew was wrong and had the added anomaly of being a .gov.com site.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2021 20:59]

And I dont now how scammers can operate from legitimate (UK) phone numbers. OK, if it's a mobile phone and text like this it might be difficult to stop, but I get at least one scanm call from a landline number every week. Usually the "we will cut off your internet" one.
Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 08:20 - Dec 13 with 584 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 07:48 - Dec 13 by Meadowlark

And I dont now how scammers can operate from legitimate (UK) phone numbers. OK, if it's a mobile phone and text like this it might be difficult to stop, but I get at least one scanm call from a landline number every week. Usually the "we will cut off your internet" one.

Very easy to obtain a virtual landline number or indeed spoof the outgoing number of your telephone to look like a genuine landline.
Login to get fewer ads

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 09:53 - Dec 13 with 555 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 07:45 - Dec 13 by BlueBlueBluex2

You are missing the purpose of the scam, it’s not to call you to transfer, it’s more sophisticated than that.

They will use your details to access your different online accounts in a number of ways, starting with your mobile phone. They have your mobile and date of birth so will attempt to call your provider and make changes to your account including diverting the calls. Once they have done that they will be able to access your bank account pretty easily.

I trust you are not on the public facing electoral roll, because if you are, they now also have your address…..

So what can I do about this?

How could they access anything online when they don't have any of my passwords?

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 09:58 - Dec 13 with 538 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 09:53 - Dec 13 by ThisIsMyUsername

So what can I do about this?

How could they access anything online when they don't have any of my passwords?

First call is to your mobile phone company, not your bank. The security at your bank will take care of itself. Advise the provider that you are concerned due to information passed out that changes will be made to your account to facilitate the fraudsters using this as a launch pad to obtain access to other systems.

I speak from experience. My wifes Vodafone account was hacked, a divert put on and access to her bank account obtained.
Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 10:16 - Dec 13 with 500 viewsmo_itfc

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 09:58 - Dec 13 by BlueBlueBluex2

First call is to your mobile phone company, not your bank. The security at your bank will take care of itself. Advise the provider that you are concerned due to information passed out that changes will be made to your account to facilitate the fraudsters using this as a launch pad to obtain access to other systems.

I speak from experience. My wifes Vodafone account was hacked, a divert put on and access to her bank account obtained.

I know it's annoying, but in August I changed my number.
One of the best things I've done.

I very rarely get spam texts and calls now...

We shouldn't have to cycle through numbers to avoid scams. The phone networks should be doing a whole lot more to block these people out.

Poll: Now that The Athletic has an article, is this takeover actually happening?

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 12:44 - Dec 13 with 424 viewsRyorry

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 09:58 - Dec 13 by BlueBlueBluex2

A few ppl will recall that I got idiotically taken in by a fake NHS invite to book my first Covid jab back in Feb.

Only realised it was a scam when it got to 'card details for payment' page, but by that time they had so much other info, incl name, DOB, both email & geog addresses, phone nos. etc., that I feared ID theft, & went through all critical accts. - bank, card, Paypal, email etc - and changed all the verification info I could - memorable word, hint to it, Mother's maiden name etc - as well as passwords. Worth it for the peace of mind alone.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024