Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... 10:22 - May 17 with 3608 viewsfab_lover

The Government is just about to announce that they will be breaking the NI protocol deal they signed with the EU, the famous "oven ready" Brexit deal.

"Boris" said last night on C4 news:

"Yes, I agreed it (the NI protocol). I hoped & believed our friends (the EU) would not necessarily want to apply it"

Here's what another Tory leader said in the past:

"Britain does not break treaties. It would be bad for Britain, bad for our relations with the rest of the world and bad for any future treaty on trade we may need to make.”

I find it deeply, deeply ironic that the party that swathes itself in our national flag is currently overseeing, as a direct results of its actions, the imminent break-up of the Union and the complete trashing of our international reputation.

As I've said before, the only way we'll know we've turned a corner in all of this and back to the nation we'd like to be is when those responsible have been put on trial for treason.
Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 10:26 - May 17 with 2825 viewsJ2BLUE

"Yes, I agreed it (the NI protocol). I hoped & believed our friends (the EU) would not necessarily want to apply it"

Is that verbatim?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 10:33 - May 17 with 2775 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Hard to kiss it goodbye when it disappeared so long ago.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 10:41 - May 17 with 2734 viewsGavTWTD

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 10:26 - May 17 by J2BLUE

Is that verbatim?

Almost

4m50s

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 10:45 - May 17 with 2705 viewsSTYG

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 10:41 - May 17 by GavTWTD

Almost

4m50s

I never disliked anyone as much as Boris.

I always believed, naively, that we had measures in place to stop someone like him coming along and destroying everything we'd built over centuries, but seems they have unlimited powers to give themselves powers. A madness.

I mean 'I agreed to a thing that would be terrible on the basis that I never thought the other people agreeing to thing would actually want to do it'. Where to start?
Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 10:46 - May 17 with 2696 viewsZXBlue

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 10:41 - May 17 by GavTWTD

Almost

4m50s

Absolutely disgraceful.

Forget partygate and all the rest. This is the most damning indcitment of this man to date.
Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 10:48 - May 17 with 2674 viewsiamipswich

At least Eurovision came in the nick of time.

Poll: Who will return first?

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 10:52 - May 17 with 2658 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Breaking international treaties is the stuff of banana republics and despots.

He’s making us look as tinpot as Norwich City.
Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 10:54 - May 17 with 2648 viewsSteve_M

They have announced it about 20 times already, mainly to placate the Brexit zealots in the ERG and Tory press and then walked back from it at the last minute.

Yes, it's a general erosion of the UK's soft power and standing globally because we are governed by such self-interested, short-termist charlatans but the likelihood of them actually reneging on the protocol is probably less than the amount of noise they have made.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 12:00 - May 17 with 2479 viewsZXBlue

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 10:54 - May 17 by Steve_M

They have announced it about 20 times already, mainly to placate the Brexit zealots in the ERG and Tory press and then walked back from it at the last minute.

Yes, it's a general erosion of the UK's soft power and standing globally because we are governed by such self-interested, short-termist charlatans but the likelihood of them actually reneging on the protocol is probably less than the amount of noise they have made.

Also the erosion of the peer pressured ideas of integrity and responsibility that exist by convention in our consitution. That is an alarming trend and very very dangerous.
[Post edited 17 May 2022 16:52]
Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 14:48 - May 17 with 2277 viewsSE1blue

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 10:52 - May 17 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Breaking international treaties is the stuff of banana republics and despots.

He’s making us look as tinpot as Norwich City.

'Banana republic' is the kind of phrase that Boris and his chums would use.

You might want to consider a better one.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 14:49 - May 17 with 2273 viewsMattinLondon

Sorry to ask a stupid question.

The Tories negotiated the deal and announced it in triumphant style. So how come, the EU seem happy with it but not the UK? If it does indeed add costs to one side how come not the other?
Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 14:53 - May 17 with 2249 viewsSaleAway

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 14:49 - May 17 by MattinLondon

The Tories negotiated the deal and announced it in triumphant style. So how come, the EU seem happy with it but not the UK? If it does indeed add costs to one side how come not the other?

The tories knew it was a bad deal, but they had to " get brexit done", so they announced that they'd signed a " great deal", even though they knew it was bad, but as is Johnson's modus operandi, he had no intention of doing what he signed up for, as he doesn't believe rules apply to him, if they disadvantage him in any way.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 16:09 - May 17 with 2167 viewsMattinLondon

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 14:53 - May 17 by SaleAway

The tories knew it was a bad deal, but they had to " get brexit done", so they announced that they'd signed a " great deal", even though they knew it was bad, but as is Johnson's modus operandi, he had no intention of doing what he signed up for, as he doesn't believe rules apply to him, if they disadvantage him in any way.

So if this country gets a reputation for not honouring deals etc other countries either won’t bother with us or treat the government with caution.
Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 16:35 - May 17 with 2105 viewsEireannach_gorm

Good luck with the next treaty you hope to get across the line.

Article from last September.
https://www.ft.com/content/57c02222-1634-4b88-9b46-0ebd89e89832
Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 16:45 - May 17 with 2090 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 14:48 - May 17 by SE1blue

'Banana republic' is the kind of phrase that Boris and his chums would use.

You might want to consider a better one.

Pariah state?
Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 20:10 - May 17 with 1936 viewsfactual_blue

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 16:09 - May 17 by MattinLondon

So if this country gets a reputation for not honouring deals etc other countries either won’t bother with us or treat the government with caution.

We've been known as Perfidious Albion for centuries.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 20:42 - May 17 with 1896 viewsSwansea_Blue

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 10:46 - May 17 by ZXBlue

Absolutely disgraceful.

Forget partygate and all the rest. This is the most damning indcitment of this man to date.

Partygate should be part of the same conversation as it is also a symptom of the same problem; that he’s a pathological liar who genuinely believes he (and therefore by extension, his government) is above the rules, laws and morals that bind society.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 20:56 - May 17 with 1874 viewsNthsuffolkblue

He made the law that he repeatedly broke and is being fined multiple times for over gatherings during Covid.

He is the man who tried to prorogue parliament.

He said that they were happy to break international law in a specific and limited way.

Why would it surprise anyone that he is happy to break another law whenever he feels like it? Why would it surprise anyone that he was happy to defend Owen Pattinson when he was first found guilty too?

The sad thing is that far too many of the electorate do not seem to care.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 21:01 - May 17 with 1852 viewschicoazul

Be interesting to see if this aggressive bad faith approach to negotiations works in our favour I suppose.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 21:13 - May 17 with 1818 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 21:01 - May 17 by chicoazul

Be interesting to see if this aggressive bad faith approach to negotiations works in our favour I suppose.

I suppose it will allow anyone we have negotiated with to simply change anything they don't like whenever they want and say "well, we didn't think you would honour the agreement anyway".

I suspect there will be only one winner when we choose to ignore/break agreements with a trading block as big as the EU. And that is aside from the domestic terror repercussions that were warned of as part of so-called "Project Fear".

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The damage this ‘Brexit dividend’ cabinet are doing to our country grows… on 21:13 - May 17 with 1819 viewsunstableblue

… exponentially

I remember when the Rees-Mogg, frankly a ludicrous parliamentary character with little chance of a prominent role… started to sliver his way to the front benches, into the void as competent Tories who had voted remain were pushed aside. But it still felt like a joke and an implausibility.

And now here we are.

We need to get them out.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 21:14 - May 17 with 1814 viewsWeWereZombies

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 20:10 - May 17 by factual_blue

We've been known as Perfidious Albion for centuries.

Albion is only one of the four nations these days.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 21:16 - May 17 with 1803 viewsHARRY10

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 14:49 - May 17 by MattinLondon

Firstly there is the no small mattero f the UK's credit rating - it is down from AAA to something lower. Reneging on an International Traety is akin to degault in lian. Try not paying a loan to the bank and see what happens next trime you ask.

This problem was knowm from 2015 onwars. By 209 all maner of report werre coming out from autorative sources oiubting out, not only the cist, but the oriblems.

the ptobllem was/is there are still a fair number whose foirelock tugging stops them from questioning their betters - so the onlytengagement wa met with the hseep like bleats of @prohect fear, remoaners etc@

i suspect however that the bowler hatted bigits are simply playing up to win more concessions (money).

People like Liz Truss are no more than useful idiots, who are probably aware of that fact, so tie the line ti keep their job.

There is also the problem of a trade deal, one with the orange faced clown told us would be extremely biggly and would be signed in the summer of 2017. Guess what ?

The US will not look too favourably on the UK trying to break an international treaty. One, they had a big part in brokering, and have a huge Irish (decedents) populace to placate.

Unfortunately Johnson is weak and spineless, and will undoubtedly perform another political u-turn, as he has done on other matters so many times.

I would further venture that this will merely be another step towards the UK being back in the EU. The tide has already turned, as failings are being admitted and concessions agreed.

And just as the weasels, stoats and other vermin were finally ejected from Toad Hall, so sanity will be restored as Johnson and his menagerie of third raters are turned out of Parliament, and the UK sets about being part of global trade again, not stuck hidden behind a stockade of self imposed rules, regulations, costs and delays
Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 21:30 - May 17 with 1769 viewsXYZ

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 21:16 - May 17 by HARRY10

Firstly there is the no small mattero f the UK's credit rating - it is down from AAA to something lower. Reneging on an International Traety is akin to degault in lian. Try not paying a loan to the bank and see what happens next trime you ask.

This problem was knowm from 2015 onwars. By 209 all maner of report werre coming out from autorative sources oiubting out, not only the cist, but the oriblems.

the ptobllem was/is there are still a fair number whose foirelock tugging stops them from questioning their betters - so the onlytengagement wa met with the hseep like bleats of @prohect fear, remoaners etc@

i suspect however that the bowler hatted bigits are simply playing up to win more concessions (money).

People like Liz Truss are no more than useful idiots, who are probably aware of that fact, so tie the line ti keep their job.

There is also the problem of a trade deal, one with the orange faced clown told us would be extremely biggly and would be signed in the summer of 2017. Guess what ?

The US will not look too favourably on the UK trying to break an international treaty. One, they had a big part in brokering, and have a huge Irish (decedents) populace to placate.

Unfortunately Johnson is weak and spineless, and will undoubtedly perform another political u-turn, as he has done on other matters so many times.

I would further venture that this will merely be another step towards the UK being back in the EU. The tide has already turned, as failings are being admitted and concessions agreed.

And just as the weasels, stoats and other vermin were finally ejected from Toad Hall, so sanity will be restored as Johnson and his menagerie of third raters are turned out of Parliament, and the UK sets about being part of global trade again, not stuck hidden behind a stockade of self imposed rules, regulations, costs and delays

You might want to edit that, Harry.
Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 21:49 - May 17 with 1733 viewsHARRY10

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 21:30 - May 17 by XYZ

You might want to edit that, Harry.

some folk only read my posts to count the number of typos

can be time connsuming putting them in though

but it would be akin to a Frank Sintra concert without My Way

(which rather coincidentally describes my posts)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024