Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? 22:45 - Nov 18 with 3379 viewsdominiciawful

Genuinely wondering.

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 22:49 - Nov 18 with 3374 viewsCoastalblue

He came from close by, went to watch them as a boy, supported them and was latterly their Manager, even if it wasn't such a great experience.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 22:54 - Nov 18 with 3344 viewsBlueBadger

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 22:49 - Nov 18 by Coastalblue

He came from close by, went to watch them as a boy, supported them and was latterly their Manager, even if it wasn't such a great experience.

It's pretty notable that they've been on a downward slide since sacking him in the mistaken belief that they could do better than a manager who'd gotten them into the Champions League.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 22:55 - Nov 18 with 3342 viewsGlasgowBlue

Guilt.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 23:05 - Nov 18 with 3315 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 22:54 - Nov 18 by BlueBadger

It's pretty notable that they've been on a downward slide since sacking him in the mistaken belief that they could do better than a manager who'd gotten them into the Champions League.

Their statue is also a pretty piss poor effort compared to the one at PR.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 13:14 - Nov 19 with 2926 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Because he is god.

Because he is the greatest football manager and football man of all time.

Because he is the patron saint of footballers

Because they feel guilty for sacking him.

Because there should be a statue of Sir Bobby outside every football ground in the country including Wembley.

Because they bloody well should have

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 18:05 - Nov 19 with 2709 viewsArnieM

I shall never forget that game v Newcastle when the Toon Army hordes started singing “ One Bobby Robson”, and we retorted as one all round the ground , “ Sacked Bobby Robson, we’ve never sacked Bobby Robson” . That shut em up !

They treated him abysmally and Dyer was partly responsible for getting him the sack because he wouldn’t toe the line and play where SBR needed him to play. Arrogant arse that he was at that time.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 18:12 - Nov 19 with 2683 viewsBarcaBlue

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 18:05 - Nov 19 by ArnieM

I shall never forget that game v Newcastle when the Toon Army hordes started singing “ One Bobby Robson”, and we retorted as one all round the ground , “ Sacked Bobby Robson, we’ve never sacked Bobby Robson” . That shut em up !

They treated him abysmally and Dyer was partly responsible for getting him the sack because he wouldn’t toe the line and play where SBR needed him to play. Arrogant arse that he was at that time.

Did you just make that last bit up? Sounds tenuous at best
Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 18:20 - Nov 19 with 2674 viewsSwansea_Blue

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 22:54 - Nov 18 by BlueBadger

3 consecutive top 5 finishes and consecutive European football in his last 3 of 5 years at the club, after saving them from relation and getting them to the FA Cup semi in his first year.

BCWYWF innit.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 18:26 - Nov 19 with 2663 viewsBlueastheycome

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 18:05 - Nov 19 by ArnieM

It was the game we played them on the day we renamed the North Stand the Sir Bobby.. and when they banged in their fourth goal they had the cheek to sing ‘You’ve let Sir Bobby down’ and then hence our reply as you said
Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 21:19 - Nov 19 with 2506 viewsBlueyandCrazy

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 18:12 - Nov 19 by BarcaBlue

Did you just make that last bit up? Sounds tenuous at best

No there’s a truth in that ; Dyer and his mate Bellamy were petulant withSBR at the time. Boars brought in Souness as a consequence to take no s?£’t from the little fec)&rs

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 21:25 - Nov 19 with 2491 viewsCoco

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 22:55 - Nov 18 by GlasgowBlue

Guilt.

no, he came after Souness I think.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 21:31 - Nov 19 with 2475 viewsTrequartista

A reminder in case they ever get in the Champions League again and feel like sacking the man who got them there four games into a season?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 22:39 - Nov 19 with 2406 viewsBryanPlug

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 22:55 - Nov 18 by GlasgowBlue

Guilt.

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 11:48 - Nov 20 with 2221 viewsnewcastlefan1984

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 22:39 - Nov 19 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

I’m outraged by these comments labelling us as having an overwhelming feeling of guilt for Sir Bobby’s sacking. I met him 3 times and I intimated to him how appreciative of how he saved us from relegation and got us into the top 6. I was very upset when you said we all wanted Sir Bobby sacked. I didn’t and it was evident from Souness he lost the dressing room and we were almost relegated. I was devastated the day he was sacked and inconsolable and upset when he sadly passed. For me as a Newcastle United fan he is my hero and legend and we treated him abysmally and I am ashamed. I’m one of our fan base who wanted him to stay.
Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 12:02 - Nov 20 with 2196 viewsBlueastheycome

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 11:48 - Nov 20 by newcastlefan1984

I’m outraged by these comments labelling us as having an overwhelming feeling of guilt for Sir Bobby’s sacking. I met him 3 times and I intimated to him how appreciative of how he saved us from relegation and got us into the top 6. I was very upset when you said we all wanted Sir Bobby sacked. I didn’t and it was evident from Souness he lost the dressing room and we were almost relegated. I was devastated the day he was sacked and inconsolable and upset when he sadly passed. For me as a Newcastle United fan he is my hero and legend and we treated him abysmally and I am ashamed. I’m one of our fan base who wanted him to stay.

You are without a doubt one of the more sensible and ‘good ones’.

There was a contingent of Newcastle’s support that were not.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 12:03]
Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 15:41 - Nov 20 with 2120 viewsnewcastlefan1984

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 12:02 - Nov 20 by Blueastheycome

You are without a doubt one of the more sensible and ‘good ones’.

There was a contingent of Newcastle’s support that were not.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 12:03]

Why is my post being given a thumbs down? I am hurt as I am a huge fan of Sir Bobby Robson not just for his heroism on the field but for his caring charity work he did in his life and the great legacy he has left.

I am one Newcastle United fan, I have my own perspective on the club, how it should be run, the missed opportunities we have because our board overreacted and made the wrong decision.

I was gutted, felt sick and bemoaned the decision to sick Sir Bobby Robson. I will tell you a story now, I met Sir Bobby with my brilliant father on October 99 when we played Derby, he got out of his BMW Sir Bobby and I asked could you sign my programme please?

He was happy too but joked if I sign yours, I will have to sign more and as it was half-term people saw me having my programme signed and he willingly signed more.He gave me a wry smile and bemoaned me but looked over jokingly. He was just astounded by my enthusiasm I came all the way from Suffolk to see my beloved team.

Sir bobby is a great man and he did not deserve what happened to him. I cry a lot sometimes thinking of what our club could have been. Sir Alex Ferguson told us himself that he thought sacking Sir Bobby was crazy. I did not want it, repeat did not want Sir Bobby Robson.

He should have been given the chance to take us through 2004/2005 and beyond and he is my managerial hero at Newcastle United, not keegan. Keegan, yes took over in 1992 and got us close to winning the title, but he left and Sir Bobby fought tooth and nail for Newcastle.

We have never recovered and will never do now whilst Mike Ashley is in charge. I love Ipswich Town and I am so proud of the achievements he made here and I had the pleasure for 14 years to work in the kiosk catering department.

I had to reluctantly go for health reasons because of my bipolar disorder and I miss football dearly, not being able to go. If I can give you the biggest compliment, I want to thank you for all of your support, kind words and encouragement you have given me when I have posted and have allowed me to post when I am a Newcastle supporter.

I care about Ipswich deeply as I did a dissertation on football finance and interviewed your old financial department and was appalled by how the club was treated following your demotion. I want to see you back in the Premier League. I never have any animosity, I have love for Newcastle and Ipswich.
Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 19:34 - Nov 20 with 1935 viewsBlueastheycome

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 15:41 - Nov 20 by newcastlefan1984

Why is my post being given a thumbs down? I am hurt as I am a huge fan of Sir Bobby Robson not just for his heroism on the field but for his caring charity work he did in his life and the great legacy he has left.

I am one Newcastle United fan, I have my own perspective on the club, how it should be run, the missed opportunities we have because our board overreacted and made the wrong decision.

I was gutted, felt sick and bemoaned the decision to sick Sir Bobby Robson. I will tell you a story now, I met Sir Bobby with my brilliant father on October 99 when we played Derby, he got out of his BMW Sir Bobby and I asked could you sign my programme please?

He was happy too but joked if I sign yours, I will have to sign more and as it was half-term people saw me having my programme signed and he willingly signed more.He gave me a wry smile and bemoaned me but looked over jokingly. He was just astounded by my enthusiasm I came all the way from Suffolk to see my beloved team.

Sir bobby is a great man and he did not deserve what happened to him. I cry a lot sometimes thinking of what our club could have been. Sir Alex Ferguson told us himself that he thought sacking Sir Bobby was crazy. I did not want it, repeat did not want Sir Bobby Robson.

He should have been given the chance to take us through 2004/2005 and beyond and he is my managerial hero at Newcastle United, not keegan. Keegan, yes took over in 1992 and got us close to winning the title, but he left and Sir Bobby fought tooth and nail for Newcastle.

We have never recovered and will never do now whilst Mike Ashley is in charge. I love Ipswich Town and I am so proud of the achievements he made here and I had the pleasure for 14 years to work in the kiosk catering department.

I had to reluctantly go for health reasons because of my bipolar disorder and I miss football dearly, not being able to go. If I can give you the biggest compliment, I want to thank you for all of your support, kind words and encouragement you have given me when I have posted and have allowed me to post when I am a Newcastle supporter.

I care about Ipswich deeply as I did a dissertation on football finance and interviewed your old financial department and was appalled by how the club was treated following your demotion. I want to see you back in the Premier League. I never have any animosity, I have love for Newcastle and Ipswich.

Hi mate. I think you may have misinterpreted my reply.. I was saying I agree with you, and you are the of the more sensible and good ones from the Newcastle support. I just pointed out there were other Newcastle fans (not you) that didn’t have the same attitude as you and sadly hounded him out.

Sorry for any confusion though. It wasn’t me that downvoted you’re post either.

We are united in our love for Sir Bobby
[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 19:40]
Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 20:42 - Nov 20 with 1837 viewsArnieM

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 21:19 - Nov 19 by BlueyandCrazy

No there’s a truth in that ; Dyer and his mate Bellamy were petulant withSBR at the time. Boars brought in Souness as a consequence to take no s?£’t from the little fec)&rs

KD to his later credit acknowledges he let SBR badly by his actions in SBRs era at Newcastle. So no it was definitely not made up.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 22:08 - Nov 20 with 1778 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 15:41 - Nov 20 by newcastlefan1984

You are (in my opinion) most welcome to post here. You are always respectful and insightful and we have a few posters who openly support other clubs. It is not a problem to have people with different interests and opinions on here, only when they become abusive or unreasonable in the way they express them.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Why do Newcastle have a statue of Sir Bobby outside St James' Park? on 01:15 - Nov 21 with 1702 viewsClareBlue

I have posted this before

when I was a very young lad born and living in Yorkshire. Town were away to Leeds. I went to the game with my Dad (RIP) and he found out where the team were staying. We went to the hotel early doors to see if we could see some of the team. SBR was in reception and I nervously asked for an autograph. He chatted away and found out I was a rare breed of a Yorkshire Ipswich fan. He invited us in for breakfast with the team. 8 year old sitting having breakfast with Mick Mills and Paul Mariner. Image how that went down at school on Monday. This is class and that's why he has statutes of him and why I have spent fortunes on following Ipswich over the last 45 years,. I met him a few times over the years and he always remembered. Paul Cooper gave me a metal Ipswich pin badge which I still have.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024