Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can someone explain 08:42 - Jan 6 with 7728 viewschiddley

How adding 25p to a cup of coffee will reduce waste.?

It seems every problem has to be taxed more.

Poll: The best joke petition of the last few days

Can someone explain on 08:48 - Jan 6 with 6342 viewsGeoffSentence

The idea is that putting a charge on non-disposable cups will encourage customers to bring their own mugs and/or encourage coffee shops to use fully recyclable cups.

It is a pretty simple concept.

I

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Can someone explain on 09:02 - Jan 6 with 6326 viewsEastTownBlue

Can someone explain on 08:48 - Jan 6 by GeoffSentence

The idea is that putting a charge on non-disposable cups will encourage customers to bring their own mugs and/or encourage coffee shops to use fully recyclable cups.

I

Yes, it will need to work on a similar basis to the plastic bag charge.
Can someone explain on 09:35 - Jan 6 with 6298 viewssparks

Can someone explain on 09:02 - Jan 6 by EastTownBlue

Yes, it will need to work on a similar basis to the plastic bag charge.

What needs to happen, is that cups which are not readily recyclable need to be given a date after which they will be banned.

The amount of cash required to engage a team of scientist / engineers to create a new solution would be a drop in the ocean to the combined efforts of Costa et al. But they wont do it unless forced.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Can someone explain on 09:51 - Jan 6 with 6260 viewsWonky

I

Yes exactly, and that's why they're bringing back bottle deposits. The 5p charge on plastic bags has worked, people get about 80% less of them now.
Can someone explain on 09:52 - Jan 6 with 6257 viewsfactual_blue

Because people respond to these things. People will buy some sort of reusable cup, or companies will buy properly recyclable ones.

Alternatively, if you're willing to pay three quid for the stuff in the first place, another 25p is neither here nor there.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Can someone explain on 09:55 - Jan 6 with 6252 viewsKitman

This coffee shop drinking boom (or craze or whatever) I just don't get it.

Blog: [Blog] Interesting Start to the New Season

Can someone explain on 09:57 - Jan 6 with 6251 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I

But taxing the customer won't encourage shops to use fully recyclable cups as its the customer taking the hit.

This won't work in the same way as the bag tax as the customer cannot directly influence the outcome. You pay a tax on bags, you keep and reuse your bags, you cant do that with disposable cups and shops won't accept your own cup in a coffee shop as the cups are used as a measure for the content, which is chargeable by volume.

Banning non recyclable cups from 2019 would of been the only effective action if you were really concerned about the issue.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Can someone explain on 09:58 - Jan 6 with 6249 viewshampstead_blue

the same way 5p and 10p has radically reduced carrier bag usage.

Simple economics.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Login to get fewer ads

Can someone explain on 10:01 - Jan 6 with 6238 viewscaught-in-limbo

It's a good move.

It will mean that we all start walking around with our own flasks of green tea like the Chinese. Boiling water will be available for free at many locations throughout cities, towns and villages for people to top up their tea flasks.

Pseudo Italian, tax-avoiding, second rate American coffee chains will be forced out of our city centres. The huge amount of centrally located shopping space will force local governments to reduce rate charges in order to fill the space. This in turn will attract small local entrepreneurial shops into our town centres once more.

City centres will be reinvigorated and cafes and bars will spill out into town squares. Townsfolk will while away their weekends and long summer, global-warming-assisted evenings chatting to friends and family in friendly town centres. Face to face interaction will boom, tax-avoiding manufacturers of smartphones will suffer and our preteens will once again meet up with their friends to kick a ball around the square or draw a hop-scotch grid on the floor. Skipping rope sales will rocket.

Young English children will develop real footballing skills as opposed to virtual ones. England will win the world cup and the English Vineyards Premier League will become the best league in the world again.

The health of the national will soar. Hospital waiting times will plummet, modern society malaise causing mental health problems will as good as vanish and the NHS will go back to what it was 50 years ago.

It's a clever move in my opinion.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2018 11:18]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Can someone explain on 10:07 - Jan 6 with 6220 viewsfactual_blue

Can someone explain on 09:57 - Jan 6 by Cheltenham_Blue

But taxing the customer won't encourage shops to use fully recyclable cups as its the customer taking the hit.

This won't work in the same way as the bag tax as the customer cannot directly influence the outcome. You pay a tax on bags, you keep and reuse your bags, you cant do that with disposable cups and shops won't accept your own cup in a coffee shop as the cups are used as a measure for the content, which is chargeable by volume.

Banning non recyclable cups from 2019 would of been the only effective action if you were really concerned about the issue.

It will if the customer stops coming.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Can someone explain on 10:11 - Jan 6 with 6208 viewslowhouseblue

Can someone explain on 10:01 - Jan 6 by caught-in-limbo

It's a good move.

It will mean that we all start walking around with our own flasks of green tea like the Chinese. Boiling water will be available for free at many locations throughout cities, towns and villages for people to top up their tea flasks.

Pseudo Italian, tax-avoiding, second rate American coffee chains will be forced out of our city centres. The huge amount of centrally located shopping space will force local governments to reduce rate charges in order to fill the space. This in turn will attract small local entrepreneurial shops into our town centres once more.

City centres will be reinvigorated and cafes and bars will spill out into town squares. Townsfolk will while away their weekends and long summer, global-warming-assisted evenings chatting to friends and family in friendly town centres. Face to face interaction will boom, tax-avoiding manufacturers of smartphones will suffer and our preteens will once again meet up with their friends to kick a ball around the square or draw a hop-scotch grid on the floor. Skipping rope sales will rocket.

Young English children will develop real footballing skills as opposed to virtual ones. England will win the world cup and the English Vineyards Premier League will become the best league in the world again.

The health of the national will soar. Hospital waiting times will plummet, modern society malaise causing mental health problems will as good as vanish and the NHS will go back to what it was 50 years ago.

but what will become of the ancient artisan craft of drawing things on the top of milk froth? all of those skilled crafts people will have to pour guinness instead.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Can someone explain on 10:19 - Jan 6 with 6185 viewscaught-in-limbo

Can someone explain on 10:11 - Jan 6 by lowhouseblue

but what will become of the ancient artisan craft of drawing things on the top of milk froth? all of those skilled crafts people will have to pour guinness instead.

Diversify or die.

Sand castle art maybe?

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Can someone explain on 11:00 - Jan 6 with 6151 viewsmonytowbray

Can someone explain on 09:35 - Jan 6 by sparks

What needs to happen, is that cups which are not readily recyclable need to be given a date after which they will be banned.

The amount of cash required to engage a team of scientist / engineers to create a new solution would be a drop in the ocean to the combined efforts of Costa et al. But they wont do it unless forced.

There’s a business locally that have developed one, I know this as their office is next door to my work.

https://www.frugalpac.com/frugal-cup/

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Can someone explain on 11:03 - Jan 6 with 6143 viewsLord_Lucan

It's a good move.

I like it.

And voting Tory will cause your wife to have bigger breasts and increase your chances of owning a BMW M3

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Can someone explain on 11:09 - Jan 6 with 6128 viewsJ2BLUE

Can someone explain on 09:58 - Jan 6 by hampstead_blue

the same way 5p and 10p has radically reduced carrier bag usage.

Simple economics.

I buy a bag for life nearly every time I go shopping. I must have about 100 of them.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Can someone explain on 11:12 - Jan 6 with 6122 viewssolemio

It's a good move.

That leaves Costa then. It was founded by an Italian, it is Bedfordshire owned and it pays all the taxes it should. And it does better cappuccino than all but two of the independent coffee places in my town/city.

Are pre-teens what we used to call 'children'? At least they're not HR yet - or 'people' as we used to call them.
Can someone explain on 11:13 - Jan 6 with 6117 viewsLord_Lucan

Can someone explain on 11:09 - Jan 6 by J2BLUE

I buy a bag for life nearly every time I go shopping. I must have about 100 of them.

So do I.

I generally do the shopping and each time I go my wife tries to force a load of bags on me - which I refuse as I feel like a tramp.

In the wash room we used to have a big bag with loads of little bags in it, now we have a huge bag with loads of large bags in it.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2018 12:26]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Can someone explain on 11:18 - Jan 6 with 6105 viewsrosseden

Biggest issue here being that once food stuff is on the cup, in most cases it’s not actually recycleable anymore if it’s paper. Paper outer and plastic inner can be recycleable if washed out and split into two things, one bit of card which hasn’t been in contact with product and a piece of washed plastic which has.

Compostable product is more sensible but then if people don’t know and put it in the recycling bin, it contaminates the rest of the recycling.

Reusable cups would be the way forward. Everyone in the states uses them, which is the way I think they’re going. Basically you add the tax to disposable, drive the cost up by 25p and thus anyone bringing their own cup saves 25p without impacting the retail businesses P&L

Poll: can the majority of twtd users count?
Blog: [Blog] To Deal or Not to Deal, That is the Question?

Can someone explain on 12:25 - Jan 6 with 6049 viewsDarth_Koont

The interest in electric vehicles has mostly been driven by economic need i.e. cheap oil becoming less readily available. Yes, pollution, emissions and a wider awareness of climate change have been factors but they were there 10 years ago. Even the advances in battery development have been accelerated by this.

Economics is the greatest driver in changing behaviour because it transcends cultural and knowledge barriers. Not to mention the barrier of indifference. And it's even more effective than regulation, some of which is only put into place when lawmakers accept the economic benefits.

Pronouns: He/Him

Can someone explain on 12:31 - Jan 6 with 6036 viewsswede

There was a chap on Radio 5live yesterday from the paper cup manufacturer's association who stated that all cups used by the major coffee chain shops are already fully recyclable.
The issue as he saw it is that -
1) There are only currently six recycling plants nationwide that can separate the 2% plastic film from the 98% paper in the cup.
2) There are very few waste bins across the country where the consumer can put their used paper cup while out. Few people take these cups home to put in their own recycling bins.
3) Even where they are provided, the lazy public do not use them correctly and the recyclable material gets contaminated with other waste. (Just look into the recycling bins for cups, plastic etc next time you are in McDonalds and see what people put in them!).

A tax may be the easiest answer but it is never the best answer to a problem.
Can someone explain on 12:50 - Jan 6 with 6010 viewsnoggin

Do British petrol stations do the coffee cups like they do here? In January you buy a reusable cup for about 25 quid. You can then fill your cup as often as you like, for the whole year, at that chain of stations. I know Shell, Circle K and Esso do it here.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2018 12:57]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Can someone explain on 13:06 - Jan 6 with 5984 viewsLord_Lucan

Can someone explain on 12:31 - Jan 6 by swede

There was a chap on Radio 5live yesterday from the paper cup manufacturer's association who stated that all cups used by the major coffee chain shops are already fully recyclable.
1) There are only currently six recycling plants nationwide that can separate the 2% plastic film from the 98% paper in the cup.
2) There are very few waste bins across the country where the consumer can put their used paper cup while out. Few people take these cups home to put in their own recycling bins.
3) Even where they are provided, the lazy public do not use them correctly and the recyclable material gets contaminated with other waste. (Just look into the recycling bins for cups, plastic etc next time you are in McDonalds and see what people put in them!).

I think I heard yesterday that separating the plastic is a very costly process.

Can someone explain on 13:11 - Jan 6 with 5979 viewsstonojnr

Can someone explain on 12:31 - Jan 6 by swede

this tax isnt the answer to any of those issues though is it ?

so we have the technology and ability to use recyclable cups, its just the industry really cant be bothered to use it, and has no incentive to do it, because the tax for this is pushed to the consumer instead because its their fault for drinking the coffee.

I mean its laughable you genuinely think people will walk around with resuable cups, on the off chance they may want a take away coffee.

force the industry to use recyclable cups, force the industry to have recycling plants capabable of coping and you solve the whole problem, you are not going to cut 95% of disposable cup use by adding a 25p surcharge onto it that the consumer pays.

its typical government sticking plaster posturing and I cant believe people still fall for this nonsense.

and as per normal do you think the House of Commons recycles any of their disposable coffee cups across the parliamentary estate, Ill save you the bother its a big fat no, and will they pay the 25p tax, no of course not because taxes dont apply to parliamentary food & drink, the public subsidises it all for them.
Can someone explain on 13:17 - Jan 6 with 5971 viewsSarge

According to the news story I read it's to fund the development of recycling centres that can deal with the mix of materials used in coffee cups.
Can someone explain on 13:26 - Jan 6 with 5957 viewsLord_Lucan

Can someone explain on 13:17 - Jan 6 by Sarge

According to the news story I read it's to fund the development of recycling centres that can deal with the mix of materials used in coffee cups.

Why can't we just burn the bloody things?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024