Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players less appreciated than they should have been. 13:38 - Aug 9 with 12265 viewssolemio

Seeing posts from stewartm and wkj on the other thread made me wonder about under-appreciated ITFC players who were really very good.

Like Stewart I'd certainly have Paul Mason very near the top of that sort of list. Looked good in the top division. Never really seemed to be a fans' favourite at the time.

Who else?
Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:41 - Aug 9 with 3997 viewswkj

I will migrate my point from the other thread, Bobby Petta seemed a good player but the fans never seemed to be that close with him

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:41 - Aug 9 with 3996 viewsRyorry

Eric Gates. He was always my fav tho!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:41 - Aug 9 with 3997 viewsFifeITFC

Geraint Williams for me. Very underrated and misunderstood. His role was never a play maker like Jason Dozzell etc. He was there to quietly go about breaking up play and laying the ball off for the likes of Dozzell etc to weave the magic.

Take Williams out of the team and you'd realise how much work he did.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2018 13:42]

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:41 - Aug 9 with 3994 viewsPJH

Dougie Moran.

At least as I remember it he was an underappreciated member of the 1961/62 side.
I, of course, fully appreciated him.
Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:42 - Aug 9 with 3982 viewsTractorCam

Kevin Bru.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:43 - Aug 9 with 3974 viewsDarth_Koont

Shefki - criminally underrated by too many fans, most of whom seemed to overrate Pablo and have a problem with Royle as well.

Pronouns: He/Him

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:43 - Aug 9 with 3975 viewsblueblueburleymcgrew

Peter Morris.
Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:44 - Aug 9 with 3962 viewsPJH

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:41 - Aug 9 by Ryorry

Eric Gates. He was always my fav tho!

I don't think Gatesy was underappreciated but he did not really blossom until we had the two Dutchmen and he then fitted perfectly into the system that evolved.
I think he was appreciated by most at that time.

Are you going to Rotherham?
Login to get fewer ads

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:45 - Aug 9 with 3947 viewssolemio

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:41 - Aug 9 by wkj

I will migrate my point from the other thread, Bobby Petta seemed a good player but the fans never seemed to be that close with him

Yes, slightly odd one that. Possibly the 2nd best pure dribbler we've had - after a very well appreciated Dutchman!
Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:46 - Aug 9 with 3934 viewsFifeITFC

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:43 - Aug 9 by Darth_Koont

Shefki - criminally underrated by too many fans, most of whom seemed to overrate Pablo and have a problem with Royle as well.

I never felt Shefki at all. I admit I was a little underwhelmed when he signed (like I was when we signed Kelvin Davis from Luton), but they both quickly proved me wrong.

Shefki worked his nuts off and was a pivitol player and offered a new dimension we hadn't had for a long time.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:46 - Aug 9 with 3933 viewsSpruceMoose

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:45 - Aug 9 by solemio

Yes, slightly odd one that. Possibly the 2nd best pure dribbler we've had - after a very well appreciated Dutchman!

Looking at our defensive options since he left, I personally didn't appreciate De Vos enough at the time.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:47 - Aug 9 with 3930 viewsRyorry

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:43 - Aug 9 by Darth_Koont

Shefki wasn't under-rated was he? Or maybe you're making a distinction between 'rated' and 'popular'?

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:47 - Aug 9 with 3928 viewswkj

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:46 - Aug 9 by SpruceMoose

Looking at our defensive options since he left, I personally didn't appreciate De Vos enough at the time.

You will one day say the same about my authority over you

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:47 - Aug 9 with 3921 viewsSpruceMoose

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:47 - Aug 9 by wkj

You will one day say the same about my authority over you

That'll be the day dementia is diagnosed.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:50 - Aug 9 with 3897 viewsRyorry

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:44 - Aug 9 by PJH

I don't think Gatesy was underappreciated but he did not really blossom until we had the two Dutchmen and he then fitted perfectly into the system that evolved.
I think he was appreciated by most at that time.

Are you going to Rotherham?

I suppose when he was playing, I was in my ITFC supporter infancy & got to barely any games - but in all the years since then, I rarely, if ever, see him mentioned as a key or even good player of the time, whereas all the others of that era are regularly properly appreciated.

Edit - sorry, forgot - Rotherham unlikely, sadly - too busy & back grumbolic!
[Post edited 9 Aug 2018 13:52]

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:55 - Aug 9 with 3869 viewsPJH

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:50 - Aug 9 by Ryorry

I suppose when he was playing, I was in my ITFC supporter infancy & got to barely any games - but in all the years since then, I rarely, if ever, see him mentioned as a key or even good player of the time, whereas all the others of that era are regularly properly appreciated.

Edit - sorry, forgot - Rotherham unlikely, sadly - too busy & back grumbolic!
[Post edited 9 Aug 2018 13:52]

I suppose when people talk about that truly great team it is usually the Dutchmen or Warky that first come to mind but I do not think that Gates was underappreciated at the time.
Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:55 - Aug 9 with 3868 viewsDarth_Koont

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:47 - Aug 9 by Ryorry

Shefki wasn't under-rated was he? Or maybe you're making a distinction between 'rated' and 'popular'?

He certainly was for his first half-season and even well into the next season when him and Bent were already firing them in.

But you're right. By the time he left there was only the hardcore grumblers left.

Pronouns: He/Him

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:56 - Aug 9 with 3849 viewsurbanblue

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:43 - Aug 9 by blueblueburleymcgrew

Peter Morris.

Good call that ... He was a great player. Very underrated.
Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:58 - Aug 9 with 3832 viewsurbanblue

Mick Lambert
Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:59 - Aug 9 with 3814 viewsPJH

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:56 - Aug 9 by urbanblue

Good call that ... He was a great player. Very underrated.

Signing him and John O'Rourke pushed us over the line to the 1967/68 Second Division win.

He was a very good player for us.
Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 14:02 - Aug 9 with 3797 viewsurbanblue

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:59 - Aug 9 by PJH

Signing him and John O'Rourke pushed us over the line to the 1967/68 Second Division win.

He was a very good player for us.

He was nicknamed 'Diesel' wasn't he ? ... Cracking thunderbolt of a shot on him as well.
Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 14:05 - Aug 9 with 3778 viewsblueblueburleymcgrew

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 14:02 - Aug 9 by urbanblue

He was nicknamed 'Diesel' wasn't he ? ... Cracking thunderbolt of a shot on him as well.

Yeah great little player wore the number 4 shirt back in the day when it was 1-11 no messsing.

My first favourite Town player.
Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 14:06 - Aug 9 with 3767 viewsPJH

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 14:02 - Aug 9 by urbanblue

Yes he was nicknamed Diesel.

Scored both our goals in first leg of Texaco Cup Final
Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 14:10 - Aug 9 with 3735 viewssevernside_blue

Tommy Smith
Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 14:11 - Aug 9 with 3728 viewsSwansea_Blue

Matt Richards and Westy. Worked very well together and good enough for a play off pushing team.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024