Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I Blame Jimmy Hill 20:11 - Aug 26 with 2047 viewsTheJam

He's the one that got players wages un-capped, in the 1st place.
It all started from there, now we've got players on more a week than it costs to run a hospital.

Poll: Mick in/out v Brexit in/out

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 21:06 - Aug 26 with 1969 viewsfactual_blue

You've spelt 'rupert murdoch' incorrectly.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: When will the L1 start date decision be made?
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 21:13 - Aug 26 with 1955 viewsMattinLondon

I wonder when wages were capped how many brown bags were stuffed with money before being handed to players
I Blame Jimmy Hill on 21:19 - Aug 26 with 1937 viewsfactual_blue

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 21:13 - Aug 26 by MattinLondon

I wonder when wages were capped how many brown bags were stuffed with money before being handed to players

Probably fewer than we think. Players were treated badly. At Man Utd all but the 'Holy Trinity' (Best Charlton and Law) had to sign on during the summer.

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 22:06 - Aug 26 with 1860 viewsRadlett_blue

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 21:19 - Aug 26 by factual_blue

Probably fewer than we think. Players were treated badly. At Man Utd all but the 'Holy Trinity' (Best Charlton and Law) had to sign on during the summer.

I presume you are making that up? Please show me some evidence that Man Utd players had to sign on in the summer, when they were being employed and paid reasonably well by the standards of that time.
The sportsmen who sometimes did sign on during the off season during the 1960s were county cricketers, whose contracts only covered the playing season, notably the then England wicket keeper Alan Knott.

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 22:11 - Aug 26 with 1846 viewsStNeotsBlue

Chinny reckon.
I Blame Jimmy Hill on 22:14 - Aug 26 with 1835 viewsGuthrum

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 21:19 - Aug 26 by factual_blue

Former players from that era speak of goal and winning bonuses making a big difference to their income, being the difference between flling the car or mending the boiler and not being able to. Does not smack of an overly comfortable lifestyle.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 23:24 - Aug 26 with 1746 viewsfactual_blue

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 22:14 - Aug 26 by Guthrum

Former players from that era speak of goal and winning bonuses making a big difference to their income, being the difference between flling the car or mending the boiler and not being able to. Does not smack of an overly comfortable lifestyle.

And no pay in the close season. A guy I knew from work (and who was a few years older than me) was a massive Man Utd fan working in the SaleAltrincham area. He said he was gobsmacked to see half a dozen Man Utd turn up to sign on in the summer of 1965.

They'd just won the League. Back in those days several used to be cricketers in the summer.

Denis Compton was probably the most famous, but I can remember Arnie Sidebotham and Jim Cumbes playing both sports at league/county level. I think Sidebotham won cricket caps for England.

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 23:47 - Aug 26 with 1717 viewsjaykay

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 21:06 - Aug 26 by factual_blue

You've spelt 'rupert murdoch' incorrectly.

i blame a certain alan sugar was spurs chairman and maker of amstrad sky satellite boxes

bring back callis

Login to get fewer ads

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 06:07 - Aug 27 with 1590 viewsdaisyisabaddog

Yes there are players earning ridiculous amounts of money but bear in mind that they pay half of it in tax and national insurance. I think society does very well out of football

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 06:21 - Aug 27 with 1577 viewsLesta_Tractor

Uncapping wages was the correct thing to do but the clubs should have been subject to a salary cap.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 07:23 - Aug 27 with 1518 viewssolemio

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 23:24 - Aug 26 by factual_blue

And no pay in the close season. A guy I knew from work (and who was a few years older than me) was a massive Man Utd fan working in the SaleAltrincham area. He said he was gobsmacked to see half a dozen Man Utd turn up to sign on in the summer of 1965.

They'd just won the League. Back in those days several used to be cricketers in the summer.

Denis Compton was probably the most famous, but I can remember Arnie Sidebotham and Jim Cumbes playing both sports at league/county level. I think Sidebotham won cricket caps for England.

Early 'Fifties, Arthur Milton was the last double Football/cricket international.
I Blame Jimmy Hill on 08:27 - Aug 27 with 1449 viewsGeoffSentence

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 06:07 - Aug 27 by daisyisabaddog

Yes there are players earning ridiculous amounts of money but bear in mind that they pay half of it in tax and national insurance. I think society does very well out of football

Apart from the ones who can reduce the amount that they contribute to society with image rights and other tax avoidance methods.

In the 38 games in which ALB played in goal for us, we averaged 1.53 points per game which, had they been over the course of a single season, would have seen us challenging for the play offs. This at a time when we were otherwise struggling against relegation. Oh, and didn't Mick Mills have terrific posture.
Poll: Who has been our greatest Dane?

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 08:52 - Aug 27 with 1404 viewsRadlett_blue

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 23:24 - Aug 26 by factual_blue

Players did get paid in the summer. In the days of the maximum wage, they were paid less as the club had zero income. Some, notably Tom Finney, aka the "Preston plumber", did other work in the summer to supplement these meagre wages.
Your mate who said first team Man United players were signing on the dole in the summer of 1965 - well after the abolition of the maximum wage - is talking nonsense. If a player wasn't given a free transfer at the end of his contract in the summer, he would continue to be paid.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2019 10:04]
I Blame Jimmy Hill on 09:40 - Aug 27 with 1363 viewsWeWereZombies

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 23:47 - Aug 26 by jaykay

i blame a certain alan sugar was spurs chairman and maker of amstrad sky satellite boxes

More seriously, the Taylor Report had an impact in the transformation of grounds to all seater. Something was lost when terraces went that was not immediately apparent, a sense of community and immediacy in the watching of football, a common awareness of the spectacle and skill that found expression in gasps, applause, cheering and groans that still exists but not at the same level as when you are standing shoulder to shoulder.

There is a Tottenham connection though:

'In the 1980s, major English clubs had begun to transform into business ventures, applying commercial principles to club administration to maximise revenue. Martin Edwards of Manchester United, Irving Scholar of Tottenham Hotspur, and David Dein of Arsenal were among the leaders in this transformation. The commercial imperative led to the top clubs seeking to increase their power and revenue; the clubs in Division One threatened to break away from the Football League, and in so doing they managed to increase their voting power and gain more favourable financial arrangement, taking a 50% share of all television and sponsorship income in 1986.' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League

Perhaps it is no surprise at all that the transformation took place whilst Margaret Thatcher was Prime Minister.

Poll: Why 'Fast Food Song' is more redolent of urban life than 'West End Girls'

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 14:16 - Aug 27 with 1240 viewsElephantintheRoom

A wind up? But not far from the truth. JOhnny Haynes hit the jackpot then with £100 a week. In one of the books on Town there is a photo of Andy Nelson who had just skippered Town to a title working as a labourer on the North Stand to earn some money over the summer. In another the 2nd division title winners of McGarry getting all excited because they were given free steaks as a bonus.

Blog: Wing Wonders (Part Two)

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 14:47 - Aug 27 with 1219 viewsWeWereZombies

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 14:16 - Aug 27 by ElephantintheRoom

A wind up? But not far from the truth. JOhnny Haynes hit the jackpot then with £100 a week. In one of the books on Town there is a photo of Andy Nelson who had just skippered Town to a title working as a labourer on the North Stand to earn some money over the summer. In another the 2nd division title winners of McGarry getting all excited because they were given free steaks as a bonus.

I finally read Sir Bobby's autobiography 'An Englishman Abroad' a few weeks ago, there are quite a few hard up stories in that. It was years after he joined Fulham before he could afford to run a car and to start off with he was working as an apprentice electrician as well as training in the evenings. It was only when the guy next to him on a job stepped backwards on some scaffolding that had no guide rails and was invalided for life that young Mr. Robson decided that maybe football was the safer career path.

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 15:22 - Aug 27 with 1184 viewsRadlett_blue

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 14:16 - Aug 27 by ElephantintheRoom

Yes, most footballers weren't particularly well paid, but the headline-grabbing £100 a week that Fulham paid then England captain Haynes was more than decent money. However, many players didn't own cars in the late 1960s and I remember that Colin Viljoen famously refused to give some team mates a lift to the training ground in his car. Win bonuses would have been more relevant then as well. However, I can believe that many players did other jobs in the summer to supplement their income. My favourite story was in the old maximum wage days when Tommy Docherty demanded that Preston North End pay him the same as Tom Finney, which was £14 a week in the winter & summer. Dochert was only paid £8 a week in the summer. The Preston chairman said "but Finney's a better player than you". Docherty replied "Not in the summer he isn't".
He didn't get his raise.
I Blame Jimmy Hill on 15:28 - Aug 27 with 1173 viewsPJH

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 15:22 - Aug 27 by Radlett_blue

Yes, most footballers weren't particularly well paid, but the headline-grabbing £100 a week that Fulham paid then England captain Haynes was more than decent money. However, many players didn't own cars in the late 1960s and I remember that Colin Viljoen famously refused to give some team mates a lift to the training ground in his car. Win bonuses would have been more relevant then as well. However, I can believe that many players did other jobs in the summer to supplement their income. My favourite story was in the old maximum wage days when Tommy Docherty demanded that Preston North End pay him the same as Tom Finney, which was £14 a week in the winter & summer. Dochert was only paid £8 a week in the summer. The Preston chairman said "but Finney's a better player than you". Docherty replied "Not in the summer he isn't".
He didn't get his raise.

Tom Finney was of course also a plumber by trade.

Just imagine a current England international unblocking drains.

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 15:29 - Aug 27 with 1173 viewsthatdamgood89

It was the explosion of sky and there money and how a proper system wasn't put in place to safeguard teams and ensure money trickled down. Teams were too busy counting their riches to care if the team 40 miles down the road, who had just missed out on promotion or even been relegated got a fair share.
Football then and now is all about how much you can take without giving back.

What we are seeing is the business element in football taking a stronger effect even if the two clubs survive.( especially with this FFP and wage cap structure limit)
Bury and Bolton have no chance in the shadow of Manchester and the two huge clubs there.

The majority of kids will support city or UTD because they are on TV every single week without fail. Kids want to be Augero not some no name from Bury.

Promising youngster's will and are pinched before they even get chance to play first team football because a career boasting city or utd on it even if you are released after 12 months will take you further then a cv boasting bury or bolton even with a handful of first team games.

We are slowly moving towards a slim down football league. East Anglia for example and I will include the stratford lot;
West Ham
Norwich
Ipswich
Colchester
Southend
Peterborough
Cambridge
ETC ETC

How long before the bottom three on that list face problems or even us because in a small area you have two premiership teams expanding their coverage every week. Getting richer and richer every year.

40 years and that list will be smaller without changes. I have no doubts
[Post edited 27 Aug 2019 16:06]

Hey :) Please check out my Ipswich Town F.C podcast 'Talk Of The Town' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPhPy_79sSvPSugh32vN8qg?view_as=subscriber Available every Wednesday on; YouTube Spotify Buzzsrpout Google Podcasts Itune Podcasts

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 15:43 - Aug 27 with 1160 viewsjaykay

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 09:40 - Aug 27 by WeWereZombies

More seriously, the Taylor Report had an impact in the transformation of grounds to all seater. Something was lost when terraces went that was not immediately apparent, a sense of community and immediacy in the watching of football, a common awareness of the spectacle and skill that found expression in gasps, applause, cheering and groans that still exists but not at the same level as when you are standing shoulder to shoulder.

There is a Tottenham connection though:

'In the 1980s, major English clubs had begun to transform into business ventures, applying commercial principles to club administration to maximise revenue. Martin Edwards of Manchester United, Irving Scholar of Tottenham Hotspur, and David Dein of Arsenal were among the leaders in this transformation. The commercial imperative led to the top clubs seeking to increase their power and revenue; the clubs in Division One threatened to break away from the Football League, and in so doing they managed to increase their voting power and gain more favourable financial arrangement, taking a 50% share of all television and sponsorship income in 1986.' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League

Perhaps it is no surprise at all that the transformation took place whilst Margaret Thatcher was Prime Minister.

the spurs connection i was alluding to was sugar was chairman from '91 to ' 01 sky won the rights in '92/93. which was handy when you own amstrad who were the main makers the sky receivers at the time.

bring back callis

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 15:44 - Aug 27 with 1154 viewsWeWereZombies

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 15:29 - Aug 27 by thatdamgood89

It was the explosion of sky and there money and how a proper system wasn't put in place to safeguard teams and ensure money trickled down. Teams were too busy counting their riches to care if the team 40 miles down the road, who had just missed out on promotion or even been relegated got a fair share.
Football then and now is all about how much you can take without giving back.

What we are seeing is the business element in football taking a stronger effect even if the two clubs survive.( especially with this FFP and wage cap structure limit)
Bury and Bolton have no chance in the shadow of Manchester and the two huge clubs there.

The majority of kids will support city or UTD because they are on TV every single week without fail. Kids want to be Augero not some no name from Bury.

Promising youngster's will and are pinched before they even get chance to play first team football because a career boasting city or utd on it even if you are released after 12 months will take you further then a cv boasting bury or bolton even with a handful of first team games.

We are slowly moving towards a slim down football league. East Anglia for example and I will include the stratford lot;
West Ham
Norwich
Ipswich
Colchester
Southend
Peterborough
Cambridge
ETC ETC

How long before the bottom three on that list face problems or even us because in a small area you have two premiership teams expanding their coverage every week. Getting richer and richer every year.

40 years and that list will be smaller without changes. I have no doubts
[Post edited 27 Aug 2019 16:06]

Well, it looks like Cambridge United have gone already...

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 15:47 - Aug 27 with 1146 viewsPJH

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 15:44 - Aug 27 by WeWereZombies

Well, it looks like Cambridge United have gone already...

Merged with Peterborough perhaps?
I Blame Jimmy Hill on 15:51 - Aug 27 with 1138 viewsWeWereZombies

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 15:47 - Aug 27 by PJH

Merged with Peterborough perhaps?

Groundshare in March?

But moved to Wisbech by April...

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 16:06 - Aug 27 with 1118 viewsthatdamgood89

I Blame Jimmy Hill on 15:51 - Aug 27 by WeWereZombies

Groundshare in March?

But moved to Wisbech by April...

Cambridge who? Never heard of em sorry.

My mistake I knew I'd left a team or two off. Changed but point still stands

Hey :) Please check out my Ipswich Town F.C podcast 'Talk Of The Town' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPhPy_79sSvPSugh32vN8qg?view_as=subscriber Available every Wednesday on; YouTube Spotify Buzzsrpout Google Podcasts Itune Podcasts

Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2020