Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH 19:14 - May 13 with 5793 viewsMaySixth

talk about running scared

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/05/13/keir-starmer-took-boris-johnson-

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 13:06 - May 15 with 1963 viewstractordownsouth

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 12:29 - May 15 by GlasgowBlue

Novara and the Canary are more interested in winning the ideological battle within the Labour Party than they are in winning it within the country and making a difference to the lives of the people they claim to champion.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 13:12 - May 15 with 1951 viewsGlasgowBlue

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 12:45 - May 15 by Clapham_Junction

Guess which one of those pieces was written before the PMQs in question.

Always worth questioning screenshots of tweets that cut off the date.

Also, to be fair to him, Michael Deacon has often gone against the Telegraph line in his sketches. He appears to be the proverbial sweetcorn amongst its writers.
[Post edited 15 May 2020 12:45]

Yes. The left and their media darlings like the Canary and a Novara are completely supportive of Kier Starmer 🤣🤣🤣🤣

https://novaramedia.com/2020/05/11/the-lefts-approach-to-keir-starmer-isnt-worki

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 13:17 - May 15 with 1941 viewsDarth_Koont

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 13:06 - May 15 by tractordownsouth

Novara and the Canary are more interested in winning the ideological battle within the Labour Party than they are in winning it within the country and making a difference to the lives of the people they claim to champion.

Harsh on Novara particularly. They've been an important source of information and views in an increasingly opaque media world.

I suggest you debate their point of view on the underlying issues rather than accusing them of factionalism. Some of your friends on the Labour right have shown themselves to be the absolute worst on that score and with seemingly an absence of any genuine political convictions but a host of careerist ones. They weren't at all interested in "making a difference to the lives of people they claim to champion".

So stones, glass houses etc. spring to mind.

Pronouns: He/Him

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 13:22 - May 15 with 1925 viewsGlasgowBlue

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 13:17 - May 15 by Darth_Koont

Harsh on Novara particularly. They've been an important source of information and views in an increasingly opaque media world.

I suggest you debate their point of view on the underlying issues rather than accusing them of factionalism. Some of your friends on the Labour right have shown themselves to be the absolute worst on that score and with seemingly an absence of any genuine political convictions but a host of careerist ones. They weren't at all interested in "making a difference to the lives of people they claim to champion".

"Novara particularly [have] been an important source of information and views in an increasingly opaque media world".

Iron Lion Zion

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 13:25 - May 15 with 1918 viewsDarth_Koont

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 13:22 - May 15 by GlasgowBlue

"Novara particularly [have] been an important source of information and views in an increasingly opaque media world".

Judging by the untrustworthy sources of information and views you dredge up, I can see this is a struggle for you.

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 14:18 - May 15 with 1867 viewsDarth_Koont

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 13:22 - May 15 by GlasgowBlue

And by the way, why did you have to change my quote to say something that's crucially a bit different?

I wouldn't single out Novara as being particularly important amongst all sources.

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 14:21 - May 15 with 1863 viewsSpruceMoose

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 14:18 - May 15 by Darth_Koont

And by the way, why did you have to change my quote to say something that's crucially a bit different?

I wouldn't single out Novara as being particularly important amongst all sources.

Oof! It's been a bad week for Conservatives twisting the words of others!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 14:34 - May 15 with 1846 viewstractordownsouth

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 13:17 - May 15 by Darth_Koont

Pretty sure I’ve said on here before that the officials who tried to damage the 2017 campaign should be chucked out?

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Login to get fewer ads

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 14:50 - May 15 with 1829 viewsDarth_Koont

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 14:34 - May 15 by tractordownsouth

Pretty sure I’ve said on here before that the officials who tried to damage the 2017 campaign should be chucked out?

Good. I'm glad about that. Shouldn't they be suspended during the investigation then according to the party rules? Or do we think they're not actually being investigated? I hope you'll be vocal if nothing happens to them.

But given these saboteurs and a number of MPs who have left the party were the most active and damaging faction internally then it's a bit rich to accuse left-wing journalists on the OUTSIDE of wanting to win the battle at all costs. Especially over the needs of the people Labour is there to represent.

That didn't sound good at all.

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 14:58 - May 15 with 1809 viewsGlasgowBlue

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 14:18 - May 15 by Darth_Koont

Because your quote was in two sentences "Harsh on Novara particularly. They've been an important source of information and views in an increasingly opaque media world".

I wasn't addressing the part where you were replying to TDS so the "harsh on" was irrelevant. "Novara particularly" and "They've been an important source of information and views in an increasingly opaque media world" were the points I was addressing.

You were saying that TDS had been harsh on Novara and that they they've been an important source of information and views in an increasingly opaque media world"

So ....."Novara particularly [have] been an important source of information and views in an increasingly opaque media world" where I added [have] for it to make sense.

I thought you worked with words and understood grammar.

https://writingcommons.org/article/inserting-or-altering-words-in-a-direct-quota

When writers insert or alter words in a direct quotation, square brackets–[ ]–are placed around the change. The brackets, always used in pairs, enclose words intended to clarify meaning, provide a brief explanation, or to help integrate the quote into the writer’s sentence. A common error writers make is to use parentheses in place of brackets.

What punctuation should be used when words are inserted or altered in a direct quotation?

When writers insert or alter words in a direct quotation, square brackets–[ ]–are placed around the change. The brackets, always used in pairs, enclose words intended to clarify meaning, provide a brief explanation, or to help integrate the quote into the writer’s sentence. A common error writers make is to use parentheses in place of brackets.

How are square brackets used around clarifying or explanatory words?
Let’s look at an example:

Quotation with brackets used correctly around a clarifying word:

“It [driving] imposes a heavy procedural workload on cognition that . . . leaves little processing capacity available for other tasks” (Salvucci and Taatgen 107). [1]

Note: Brackets are placed around the inserted word in this example to let the reader know that ‘driving’ clarifies the meaning of the pronoun ‘it.’

Iron Lion Zion

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 15:01 - May 15 with 1805 viewsGlasgowBlue

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 14:21 - May 15 by SpruceMoose

Or not if you understood the use of square brackets. Maybe you've been stateside so long that you are forgetting the use of English grammar.

Iron Lion Zion

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 15:01 - May 15 with 1805 viewsDarth_Koont

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 14:58 - May 15 by GlasgowBlue

Because your quote was in two sentences "Harsh on Novara particularly. They've been an important source of information and views in an increasingly opaque media world".

I wasn't addressing the part where you were replying to TDS so the "harsh on" was irrelevant. "Novara particularly" and "They've been an important source of information and views in an increasingly opaque media world" were the points I was addressing.

You were saying that TDS had been harsh on Novara and that they they've been an important source of information and views in an increasingly opaque media world"

So ....."Novara particularly [have] been an important source of information and views in an increasingly opaque media world" where I added [have] for it to make sense.

I thought you worked with words and understood grammar.

https://writingcommons.org/article/inserting-or-altering-words-in-a-direct-quota

What punctuation should be used when words are inserted or altered in a direct quotation?

How are square brackets used around clarifying or explanatory words?
Let’s look at an example:

Quotation with brackets used correctly around a clarifying word:

“It [driving] imposes a heavy procedural workload on cognition that . . . leaves little processing capacity available for other tasks” (Salvucci and Taatgen 107). [1]

Note: Brackets are placed around the inserted word in this example to let the reader know that ‘driving’ clarifies the meaning of the pronoun ‘it.’

You could have just said it was wrong but unintentional.

But you're doubling down like a true pro.

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 15:03 - May 15 with 1800 viewsSpruceMoose

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 15:01 - May 15 by GlasgowBlue

Or not if you understood the use of square brackets. Maybe you've been stateside so long that you are forgetting the use of English grammar.

I've no skin in the game, so as an uninvolved observer it seems to me that the more honest thing to do if you were going to pull apart his words would be to quote them exactly, seeing as it didn't exactly require additional brevity.
[Post edited 15 May 2020 15:11]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 15:18 - May 15 with 1780 viewsGlasgowBlue

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 15:03 - May 15 by SpruceMoose

I've no skin in the game, so as an uninvolved observer it seems to me that the more honest thing to do if you were going to pull apart his words would be to quote them exactly, seeing as it didn't exactly require additional brevity.
[Post edited 15 May 2020 15:11]

1. I was replying directly to his post so anyone can see what he had posted.

2. I clearly put the word “have” in square brackets to join “Norvara” from his first sentence and “they’ve” from his second sentence.

I’d rather you did have skin in this game because he alternative is you are appearing to be a little bit thick in not understandIn the use of double brackets. And I dont believe for one minute you are thick.

I’ll leave it there as I haven’t booked in for a long tedious discussion.
[Post edited 15 May 2020 15:19]

Iron Lion Zion

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 15:22 - May 15 with 1773 viewsSpruceMoose

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 15:18 - May 15 by GlasgowBlue

2. I clearly put the word “have” in square brackets to join “Norvara” from his first sentence and “they’ve” from his second sentence.

I’d rather you did have skin in this game because he alternative is you are appearing to be a little bit thick in not understandIn the use of double brackets. And I dont believe for one minute you are thick.

Touchy. Bad week for your team though, I get it.

Have a good afternoon x

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 15:29 - May 15 with 1760 viewsDarth_Koont

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 15:18 - May 15 by GlasgowBlue

Only you got it wrong. You added "particularly" to the quote even though it's from another sentence and context.

I'll fix it for you:

"[Novara has] been an important source of information and views in an increasingly opaque media world"

There. If you need any more language help, just holler.
[Post edited 15 May 2020 15:29]

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 15:36 - May 15 with 1738 viewsGlasgowBlue

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 15:29 - May 15 by Darth_Koont

Only you got it wrong. You added "particularly" to the quote even though it's from another sentence and context.

I'll fix it for you:

"[Novara has] been an important source of information and views in an increasingly opaque media world"

There. If you need any more language help, just holler.
[Post edited 15 May 2020 15:29]

I’ll put my hands up. You are right, as particularly was part of the previous sentence in reply to TDS and therefore irrelevant to my reply to you.

Iron Lion Zion

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 15:45 - May 15 with 1721 viewsjaykay

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 14:21 - May 15 by SpruceMoose

thats what tories do.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 19:20 - May 15 with 1666 viewsDarth_Koont

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 15:36 - May 15 by GlasgowBlue

I’ll put my hands up. You are right, as particularly was part of the previous sentence in reply to TDS and therefore irrelevant to my reply to you.

I appreciate that. Thanks.

Keir Starmer took Boris Johnson apart like a Duplo train set : THE TORYGRAPH on 08:23 - Jun 11 with 1542 viewsMaySixth

The Daily Telegraph have now given Starmer a regular column.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024