Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NHS 1% pay rise 22:31 - Mar 4 with 7322 viewsStokieBlue

WTF are the Tories thinking?

A tiny pay rise for a public sector organisation that have worked incredibly hard the last year in frankly awful conditions. Probably the worst conditions in hospital with regards to stress and mental health in more than a generation.

Even if that is changed and revised upwards the fact it was originally considered "acceptable" is ridiculous. I am sure most people would have accepted a small income tax increase in order to make the appropriate public sector pay rises.

At least they all clapped though.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

NHS 1% pay rise on 09:51 - Mar 5 with 1171 viewsenforcer

NHS 1% pay rise on 09:41 - Mar 5 by WeWereZombies

Well you could have phrased your reply better so as not to be so inflammatory =-sorry, that was a bit confrontational, wasn't it?
[Post edited 5 Mar 2021 11:33]

part of the bigger issue is that he pay review body is a government run dept. Turkeys don’t vote vote for Christmas etc.
NHS 1% pay rise on 10:36 - Mar 5 with 1136 viewsNthsuffolkblue

NHS 1% pay rise on 09:39 - Mar 5 by GlasgowBlue

As per my reply to Stoke, I was replying to a poster who said that “ Labour would never have scraped around to find the extra to increase that already-generous 1% pay rise to 1.25%”

No you weren't.

My quote was how the media/Government will spin this awful news as a positive.

I need to get back to work so can't trawl through the rest of the thread but this is a misrepresentation of what I said. It is about the Government spinning a positive which you seem to always be chief defender of despite claiming not to be a Tory.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

NHS 1% pay rise on 14:44 - Mar 5 with 1091 viewsWeWereZombies

The full extent of this Government 'masterstroke' is starting:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56288237

Just what is needed as a state struggles to recover from one of the worst infection and death rates in the World - to antagonise the people who are most vital to that recovery with a derisory pay off to the degree that they feel obliged to consider strike action.

U turn IMMINENT?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

NHS 1% pay rise on 15:01 - Mar 5 with 1038 viewsGlasgowBlue

NHS 1% pay rise on 10:36 - Mar 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

No you weren't.

My quote was how the media/Government will spin this awful news as a positive.

I need to get back to work so can't trawl through the rest of the thread but this is a misrepresentation of what I said. It is about the Government spinning a positive which you seem to always be chief defender of despite claiming not to be a Tory.

I replied directly to this post

NHS 1% pay rise by Nthsuffolkblue 5 Mar 2021 9:17
And the clever bit is that this is even more popular.

Labour would never have scraped around to find the extra to increase that already-generous 1% pay rise to 1.25%. How wonderful we have such a caring Government. They defo deserve their 10% pay rise. Good on them.

If you were somehow trying to be ironic then it was completely lost on me. Then again, despite living here all my life I still don't get English Irony.

As for your your final cheap jibe, my first contribution to this thread was to condemn the derisory offer by the government calling it "Terrible politics which completely misreads the mood of the country, whilst also being a complete kick in the balls of our health professionals who have gone above and beyond over the past year".

If that is me "defending" the Tories then I'd suggest you buy yourself a dictionary and look up the meaning of the word "defending".

I didn't bring Labour into this thread. You did. When you did so I thought it only fair to point out that it is all well and good the shadow health secretary saying that the nurses deserve more but then refusing to say how much more when asked three times.

Kier Starmer is saying that they should get a pay rise but doesn't say how much.

I completely disagree with Stokie on this thread when he says that "I'm not sure that outside election campaigning the shadow health secretary should have the exact number they would provide nurses to hand."

We are not in a election campaign but Labour have said they will end tuition fees. It's the job of oppositions to put forward alternatives to those presented by the government if they disagree.

This is where I lean more to Darth_Koont's view that Labour are not offering an effective opposition to the Tories whilst offering an alternative agenda.

They should be championing the nurses and saying quite clearly what that rise should be. Off the top of my head I would propose a 2.5% above inflation rise (inflation currently running at 0.7%) every year for the next five years with an agreed rise each year in line with inflation. If I can do that then it shouldn't be too hard for the opposition top come out with something similar that the county would get behind.

Standing in the sidelines saying "I don't agree with the paltry rise the Tories are offering but I'm not going to say what we would do" is not going to claw back much of that Tory poll lead anytime soon.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2021 15:11]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

"A slow clap will be held.... on 15:08 - Mar 5 with 1056 viewsBloots

...on Thursday evening".

This isn't a joke apparently.

What a country.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

NHS 1% pay rise on 15:14 - Mar 5 with 1018 viewsGlasgowBlue

NHS 1% pay rise on 14:44 - Mar 5 by WeWereZombies

The full extent of this Government 'masterstroke' is starting:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56288237

Just what is needed as a state struggles to recover from one of the worst infection and death rates in the World - to antagonise the people who are most vital to that recovery with a derisory pay off to the degree that they feel obliged to consider strike action.

U turn IMMINENT?

As I said earlier, the pay review board will come back with a higher offer, probably 1% above inflation and the government will go with that. And if Labour then oppose that then they can then turn around and quite rightly point out that it is exactly what the Labour Health spokesman was proposing today.

Iron Lion Zion

NHS 1% pay rise on 15:19 - Mar 5 with 1034 viewsTJS

NHS 1% pay rise on 08:25 - Mar 5 by Herbivore

It's as baffling as it is depressing. What a petty and selfish country we must be.

If we're such a selfish country perhaps we should reduce our foreign aid spending to the levels of most other European countries.
NHS 1% pay rise on 15:23 - Mar 5 with 1024 viewsLord_Lucan

NHS 1% pay rise on 15:01 - Mar 5 by GlasgowBlue

I replied directly to this post

NHS 1% pay rise by Nthsuffolkblue 5 Mar 2021 9:17
And the clever bit is that this is even more popular.

Labour would never have scraped around to find the extra to increase that already-generous 1% pay rise to 1.25%. How wonderful we have such a caring Government. They defo deserve their 10% pay rise. Good on them.

If you were somehow trying to be ironic then it was completely lost on me. Then again, despite living here all my life I still don't get English Irony.

As for your your final cheap jibe, my first contribution to this thread was to condemn the derisory offer by the government calling it "Terrible politics which completely misreads the mood of the country, whilst also being a complete kick in the balls of our health professionals who have gone above and beyond over the past year".

If that is me "defending" the Tories then I'd suggest you buy yourself a dictionary and look up the meaning of the word "defending".

I didn't bring Labour into this thread. You did. When you did so I thought it only fair to point out that it is all well and good the shadow health secretary saying that the nurses deserve more but then refusing to say how much more when asked three times.

Kier Starmer is saying that they should get a pay rise but doesn't say how much.

I completely disagree with Stokie on this thread when he says that "I'm not sure that outside election campaigning the shadow health secretary should have the exact number they would provide nurses to hand."

We are not in a election campaign but Labour have said they will end tuition fees. It's the job of oppositions to put forward alternatives to those presented by the government if they disagree.

This is where I lean more to Darth_Koont's view that Labour are not offering an effective opposition to the Tories whilst offering an alternative agenda.

They should be championing the nurses and saying quite clearly what that rise should be. Off the top of my head I would propose a 2.5% above inflation rise (inflation currently running at 0.7%) every year for the next five years with an agreed rise each year in line with inflation. If I can do that then it shouldn't be too hard for the opposition top come out with something similar that the county would get behind.

Standing in the sidelines saying "I don't agree with the paltry rise the Tories are offering but I'm not going to say what we would do" is not going to claw back much of that Tory poll lead anytime soon.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2021 15:11]

Whether or not they deserve a pay rise and at what percentage is one matter, personally I think they probably do - although at the risk of being flamed I don't think it is because of Covid, after all our armed forces don't get pay rises after coming back from war zones.

What strikes me is that remaining in government is largely about doing (or seemingly seeing to do) what the public wants and Boris is a champion at this. UK PLC is in massive debt due to Covid (as is the whole planet) so it wouldn't have been the end of the world to have given them 5%

This is the bit I can't figure out - especially as the 1% isn't set in stone and will probably be increased which will look like a backtrack.

Overall this is bad politics.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

NHS 1% pay rise on 15:34 - Mar 5 with 1014 viewsHerbivore

NHS 1% pay rise on 15:19 - Mar 5 by TJS

If we're such a selfish country perhaps we should reduce our foreign aid spending to the levels of most other European countries.

Weird flex, bro.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

NHS 1% pay rise on 15:37 - Mar 5 with 1008 viewsSwansea_Blue

And that would go down very well with a lot of people, proving the point.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

NHS 1% pay rise on 15:38 - Mar 5 with 1003 viewsfooters

Foreign aid is primarily about British interests abroad. That's what the red top brigade fail to get time and again.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

NHS 1% pay rise on 15:39 - Mar 5 with 976 viewsGlasgowBlue

NHS 1% pay rise on 15:23 - Mar 5 by Lord_Lucan

Whether or not they deserve a pay rise and at what percentage is one matter, personally I think they probably do - although at the risk of being flamed I don't think it is because of Covid, after all our armed forces don't get pay rises after coming back from war zones.

What strikes me is that remaining in government is largely about doing (or seemingly seeing to do) what the public wants and Boris is a champion at this. UK PLC is in massive debt due to Covid (as is the whole planet) so it wouldn't have been the end of the world to have given them 5%

This is the bit I can't figure out - especially as the 1% isn't set in stone and will probably be increased which will look like a backtrack.

I think in general our health professionals and our teachers have been underpaid and underappreciated.

This should have been sorted out many years ago and I know that now isn't particularly the best time due to the massive debts incurred by COVID.

But on the other hand it is a very good time to do it because this last year has shown how much the country relies on such people.

Iron Lion Zion

NHS 1% pay rise on 15:40 - Mar 5 with 998 viewsWeWereZombies

NHS 1% pay rise on 15:38 - Mar 5 by footers

Foreign aid is primarily about British interests abroad. That's what the red top brigade fail to get time and again.

Oh they get it, it's just that the dog whistle stuff sells more copies.

NHS 1% pay rise on 15:42 - Mar 5 with 967 viewsGlasgowBlue

NHS 1% pay rise on 15:40 - Mar 5 by WeWereZombies

Oh they get it, it's just that the dog whistle stuff sells more copies.

If Andrew Mitchell's campaign is successful then there is a real chance that the government will be defeated in the commons when they try to cut foreign aid.

Iron Lion Zion

NHS 1% pay rise on 15:44 - Mar 5 with 988 viewsWeWereZombies

NHS 1% pay rise on 15:42 - Mar 5 by GlasgowBlue

If Andrew Mitchell's campaign is successful then there is a real chance that the government will be defeated in the commons when they try to cut foreign aid.

Which is very good, but how will it be reported?

NHS 1% pay rise on 15:47 - Mar 5 with 979 viewsRadlett_blue

NHS 1% pay rise on 15:38 - Mar 5 by footers

Yes, with a whiff of bribery & corruption, but naturally we prefer not to talk about that.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

NHS 1% pay rise on 15:47 - Mar 5 with 958 viewsGlasgowBlue

NHS 1% pay rise on 15:44 - Mar 5 by WeWereZombies

Which is very good, but how will it be reported?

That a backbench rebellion, led by former International Development Minster Andrew Mitchell, has defeated the government. I would imagine.

Isn't that how most backbench rebellions are reported?

edit. A quick look shows that's how it's being reported already.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/mar/04/tory-rebellion-grows-over-cuts-

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/11/26/tory-rebels-seek-block-4bn-cut-f
[Post edited 5 Mar 2021 15:50]

Iron Lion Zion

NHS 1% pay rise on 15:52 - Mar 5 with 971 viewsLord_Lucan

NHS 1% pay rise on 15:39 - Mar 5 by GlasgowBlue

I think in general our health professionals and our teachers have been underpaid and underappreciated.

This should have been sorted out many years ago and I know that now isn't particularly the best time due to the massive debts incurred by COVID.

But on the other hand it is a very good time to do it because this last year has shown how much the country relies on such people.

The teachers I know are on quite a whack, one being deputy head at an Ipswich High School and the other a primary school teacher - so quite a range of positions.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

NHS 1% pay rise on 15:52 - Mar 5 with 973 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

I don't think they can tear themselves away from the "see what the reaction is to this" style of management. Even this bunch cannot have truly believed that the "all other public sector pay is frozen" line would wash. But maybe they did.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

NHS 1% pay rise on 16:01 - Mar 5 with 963 viewsRadlett_blue

NHS 1% pay rise on 15:52 - Mar 5 by Lord_Lucan

The teachers I know are on quite a whack, one being deputy head at an Ipswich High School and the other a primary school teacher - so quite a range of positions.

I believe the median public sector worker is now better remunerated than the median private sector worker, especially when pensions are taken into account & also has much greater job security.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

NHS 1% pay rise on 16:04 - Mar 5 with 958 viewsJohnWarksTash

NHS 1% pay rise on 07:33 - Mar 5 by blue62

Yes it’s a rubbish pay rise and they deserve a lot more. But a lot of private sector will get no rise at all or have hours cut.

How many here have seen a reduction in their earning over the past 12 months with little chance of a raise this year?

I don't get comments like this. People often bemoan the fact us NHS staff have relative job security and a half decent pension whilst the private sector don't. We all had similar choices to make and some of us decided that choosing to work in the public sector would give us financial stability and protect us a little from the vagaries of the open market, despite the fact we know we won't earn a fortune.
Just because you chose potentially higher pay with less security why should we face you ire when it didn't work out for you?

No one is asking for a billion pound payrise ...just some recognition of the work we do day in and day out to keep everyone healthy, and stepping in when you need medical help.

Rant over.....uppa the Towen!
NHS 1% pay rise on 16:06 - Mar 5 with 954 viewsLord_Lucan

NHS 1% pay rise on 16:01 - Mar 5 by Radlett_blue

I believe the median public sector worker is now better remunerated than the median private sector worker, especially when pensions are taken into account & also has much greater job security.

Funnily enough my deputy head friend started teaching after leaving a directorship at a very well known Ipswich based insurance company.

He was already on the gravy train in his insurance position but after a good few years teaching and now about to take retirement it's Bisto Central - Arizona!

NHS 1% pay rise on 16:47 - Mar 5 with 915 viewsWeWereZombies

NHS 1% pay rise on 15:47 - Mar 5 by GlasgowBlue

That a backbench rebellion, led by former International Development Minster Andrew Mitchell, has defeated the government. I would imagine.

Isn't that how most backbench rebellions are reported?

edit. A quick look shows that's how it's being reported already.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/mar/04/tory-rebellion-grows-over-cuts-

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/11/26/tory-rebels-seek-block-4bn-cut-f
[Post edited 5 Mar 2021 15:50]

This strand of the thread did start with a comment about the Red Top Brigade, so links to The Sun, The Daily Mail and The Daily Star would be more appropriate.

NHS 1% pay rise on 16:59 - Mar 5 with 898 viewsnoggin

I don't think the comparison with HMF is a fair one, having done both myself. If I remember rightly, we did get a decent increase after the first Gulf conflict. I joined up knowing full well that, if called into active service, there was a significant chance that myself or colleagues would be killed or injured. When I later joined the NHS, it was to try and save lives. I never expected to lose colleagues and put my own life in danger, due in no small part to Government incompetence.
On top of that, I had more money in my pocket as a young serviceman than I ever had working in the NHS.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

NHS 1% pay rise on 17:03 - Mar 5 with 885 viewsLord_Lucan

NHS 1% pay rise on 16:59 - Mar 5 by noggin

I don't think the comparison with HMF is a fair one, having done both myself. If I remember rightly, we did get a decent increase after the first Gulf conflict. I joined up knowing full well that, if called into active service, there was a significant chance that myself or colleagues would be killed or injured. When I later joined the NHS, it was to try and save lives. I never expected to lose colleagues and put my own life in danger, due in no small part to Government incompetence.
On top of that, I had more money in my pocket as a young serviceman than I ever had working in the NHS.

Fair points.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024