Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Right, Paul Cook - over to you! 07:20 - Sep 1 with 7214 viewsVic

Let’s see what you’re made of now. Absolutely no excuses. A brand new squad of your chosen players, a preseason and 6 games to see what they can do. Obvious weak points now addressed with new signings and now 11 days to work with the whole squad, no distractions.

Personally I’m expecting an almost immediate upturn in results - I don’t think that unreasonable from the very low base were at.

If we now go on the hit auto promotion this is going to be one heck of a ride. Even if we only get into the PO’s I genuinely expect that we should have the strength to go all the way.

Anything less will be a failure.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2021 7:59]

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 09:45 - Sep 1 with 1529 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 09:35 - Sep 1 by bobbyramsey

Explain what's different....

Well for one, the turnover of players is worlds away from when Burley could keep the core of the side for three or four seasons. If we don't go up this year, we will lose most of the players signed. Edwards, Morsy, Chaplin, Bonne, Harper, Edmundson and Coulson will easily leave and you can make claims for the rest. The longer we spend in this division the less of a difference our apparent wealth makes. We need to go up this year.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 09:48 - Sep 1 with 1497 viewschrismakin

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 09:45 - Sep 1 by JammyDodgerrr

Well for one, the turnover of players is worlds away from when Burley could keep the core of the side for three or four seasons. If we don't go up this year, we will lose most of the players signed. Edwards, Morsy, Chaplin, Bonne, Harper, Edmundson and Coulson will easily leave and you can make claims for the rest. The longer we spend in this division the less of a difference our apparent wealth makes. We need to go up this year.

They wouldn't have signed 3 year deals if they knew there wasn't a small risk of non promotion this season.

You'd have seen a bunch of 1 year deals instead

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 09:50 - Sep 1 with 1510 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 09:07 - Sep 1 by Herbivore

There is a big difference, but it'd still be a failure. Whether it would warrant Cook losing his job is another matter of course, but the target has to be promotion and nothing less.

The target is obviously promotion. No-one's suggesting otherwise. Depends what you mean by target though. If you simply mean promotion or bust then no, I'd disagree. Having something as your target doesn't mean you have to get that thing no matter what. There are several scenarios where we miss out but Cook should still keep his job.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 09:54 - Sep 1 with 1498 viewsFunge

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 09:50 - Sep 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

The target is obviously promotion. No-one's suggesting otherwise. Depends what you mean by target though. If you simply mean promotion or bust then no, I'd disagree. Having something as your target doesn't mean you have to get that thing no matter what. There are several scenarios where we miss out but Cook should still keep his job.

I cant think of very many circumstances, at all.

It's a ridiculously strong squad; I can't think of many other clubs who have given such backing to a manager.

Cook has everything he could want; as such, it is now fully incumbent upon him to make it work.

The owners and the players are good enough to get us promoted. Let's hope the manager is, too.
Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 09:58 - Sep 1 with 1456 viewschrismakin

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 09:54 - Sep 1 by Funge

It's a ridiculously strong squad; I can't think of many other clubs who have given such backing to a manager.

Cook has everything he could want; as such, it is now fully incumbent upon him to make it work.

The owners and the players are good enough to get us promoted. Let's hope the manager is, too.

Considering Wigan signed a fair few including 10k a week ( of course rumour) Wykes, and the others.

Sheff wed have a very good side and includes high earners

That's just 2 to start with

So top 2 should be the target, top 6 is the acceptable imo.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 10:07 - Sep 1 with 1456 viewsStewart27

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 08:45 - Sep 1 by portmanking

ANY success this club has ever had has been founded on stability and giving managers time. If Cook and the new-look squad regroup and finish 4th, narrowly 3-4 points off the autos, and lose in the playoff final for example, why shouldn't he and the players be given a shot at going one better the following year? There's a reason Cook's foot soldiers have signed 3+ year deals - it's because the owners understand this is not an instant fix and so should you.

The reason the players have signed 3 year deals is so they will be earning a decent salary for 3 years as opposed to one.

They will want out of this league at the first possible opportunity. They, like fans should view anything less as failure.
Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 10:07 - Sep 1 with 1457 viewsBlueBadger

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 08:53 - Sep 1 by Herbivore

Regroup? We're 5 games in, ffs. There's 123 points left to play for. With the squad we've assembled anything other than promotion is not good enough. It's amazing how the club settling for mediocrity has infected the mindset of some of our fans.

Oddly, quite a lot of the fans who, five years ago were calling mid table in the championship 'accepting mediocrity'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 10:10 - Sep 1 with 1449 viewstimothyeo

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 09:26 - Sep 1 by BlueBadger

I love the fact that this is getting downvoted.

Mid-table in the Championship is 'accepting mediocrity' but failure to get promoted from League One with a Championship-standard budget and playing squad isn't.

Yeah, I sit here in bemusement at this forum. It certainly doesn't seem to represent the fan community in general, nearly everyone I speak to in person, both ITFC and non ITFC fans, think with our squad we should be winning this league and in style too.

That the same fans who boo'd Mick keeping us in the championship with one of the lowest budgets in the division want to give Cook another season if he fails to get promoted for the second time, this time with a completely new squad that wouldn't look out of place in the division above is astounding.
Login to get fewer ads

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 10:17 - Sep 1 with 1425 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 09:48 - Sep 1 by chrismakin

They wouldn't have signed 3 year deals if they knew there wasn't a small risk of non promotion this season.

You'd have seen a bunch of 1 year deals instead

Nonsense - like contracts mean anything. Three year contracts protect us so we don't lose them on a free in the summer and nothing else. If they want to leave they will leave and there will be suitors.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 10:17 - Sep 1 with 1427 viewsGarv

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 10:10 - Sep 1 by timothyeo

Yeah, I sit here in bemusement at this forum. It certainly doesn't seem to represent the fan community in general, nearly everyone I speak to in person, both ITFC and non ITFC fans, think with our squad we should be winning this league and in style too.

That the same fans who boo'd Mick keeping us in the championship with one of the lowest budgets in the division want to give Cook another season if he fails to get promoted for the second time, this time with a completely new squad that wouldn't look out of place in the division above is astounding.

Whether you agree with it or not, it comes down to whether people are enjoying going to Portman Road. It's entirely possible that people will enjoy an entertaining play off campaign in L1 ala Royle - even if unsuccessful - more than a 15th place finish in the Championship whilst showing little ambition to attack and score goals.

Not an attack on MM, that's just how it is.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 10:23 - Sep 1 with 1412 viewsitfcjoe

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 10:17 - Sep 1 by Garv

Whether you agree with it or not, it comes down to whether people are enjoying going to Portman Road. It's entirely possible that people will enjoy an entertaining play off campaign in L1 ala Royle - even if unsuccessful - more than a 15th place finish in the Championship whilst showing little ambition to attack and score goals.

People won't enjoy it for long if we don't win games - that's just a fact

In the Joe Royle seasons, they were exciting and we won nearly every week at Portman Road too.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 10:42 - Sep 1 with 1371 viewsSteve_M

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 10:23 - Sep 1 by itfcjoe

People won't enjoy it for long if we don't win games - that's just a fact

In the Joe Royle seasons, they were exciting and we won nearly every week at Portman Road too.

And in 05-06 we were pretty crap as we lost players and he had no enthusiasm for a rebuild. That wasn't really exciting football or particularly enjoyable.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 10:42 - Sep 1 with 1370 viewstextbackup

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 10:17 - Sep 1 by Garv

Absolutely spot on. A few use the ‘yeah but the football is better’ line - however if those fans genuinely enjoy being at football more then it’s personal choice isn’t it.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 10:49 - Sep 1 with 1351 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 09:13 - Sep 1 by textbackup

Absolutely, aim for the top.

No doubt PC and his team all view it that way

Everyone's aiming for the top. That's beyond question.

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 10:51 - Sep 1 with 1346 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 09:22 - Sep 1 by timothyeo

Playoffs? Pull the other one.

We should be winning the title. Of course we'd take 2nd place, but I'd be disappointed if Cook didn't win us the title from here.

At least Herbs has the intelligence to stop short of this view. This view is silly.

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 10:57 - Sep 1 with 1320 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 09:54 - Sep 1 by Funge

The only thing he doesn't have more of, which he would want, is time. And that's quite a big thing we're missing, which we can do nothing about.

I agree he has everything else.

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 10:59 - Sep 1 with 1312 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Where's your evidence they are the same fans?

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 11:04 - Sep 1 with 1293 viewschrismakin

What makes our squad better than Wigans?

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 11:08 - Sep 1 with 1293 viewstimothyeo

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 11:04 - Sep 1 by chrismakin

What makes our squad better than Wigans?

The players we have...plus, apparently, our manager. Although I don't personally agree with that bit.
Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 11:14 - Sep 1 with 1268 viewschrismakin

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 11:08 - Sep 1 by timothyeo

The players we have...plus, apparently, our manager. Although I don't personally agree with that bit.

Interesting. What makes our players better than theres?

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 11:20 - Sep 1 with 1267 viewstextbackup

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 11:08 - Sep 1 by timothyeo

Imagine we had employed a number 2 as our manager, ahead of Cook. Would have been uproar

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 11:23 - Sep 1 with 1260 viewstimothyeo

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 11:14 - Sep 1 by chrismakin

Interesting. What makes our players better than theres?

How many of Wigans players would you have in our starting 11?
Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 11:28 - Sep 1 with 1247 viewschrismakin

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 11:23 - Sep 1 by timothyeo

How many of Wigans players would you have in our starting 11?

Me personally a few. But I was more interested in your thoughts as, they've had a cracking window and should be top 2 this season no?

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 11:29 - Sep 1 with 1250 viewstractorboy1978

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 11:28 - Sep 1 by chrismakin

Me personally a few. But I was more interested in your thoughts as, they've had a cracking window and should be top 2 this season no?

Who?

We've recruited on a totally different level to anyone else in this division.
Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 11:34 - Sep 1 with 1242 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Right, Paul Cook - over to you! on 11:20 - Sep 1 by textbackup

Imagine we had employed a number 2 as our manager, ahead of Cook. Would have been uproar

Probably from timothyeo

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024