Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The new Rwanda bill just published 16:53 - Dec 6 with 3964 viewsElderGrizzly

And it openly says it probably breaks Human Rights and International law but “ah, feck it”
Vibes from Cleverly

And tells the courts to ignore certain aspects of the law

[Post edited 6 Dec 2023 16:55]
The new Rwanda bill just published on 10:29 - Dec 7 with 1107 viewsHerbivore

The new Rwanda bill just published on 10:26 - Dec 7 by DJR

Interesting development. I wonder if Sunak will be announcing a John Major-like vote of confidence.

Rishi Sunak will be holding a press conference at 11am, No 10 has announced.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2023 10:26]

He should just call a general election and put us all out of our misery.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The new Rwanda bill just published on 10:44 - Dec 7 with 1072 viewsDJR

The new Rwanda bill just published on 10:29 - Dec 7 by Herbivore

He should just call a general election and put us all out of our misery.

That's certainly true but if it does come down to a vote of confidence, the words "Christmas", "for", "voting" and "Turkeys" come to mind, not least because they will not all have sorted out their future careers.
The new Rwanda bill just published on 10:47 - Dec 7 with 1058 viewsGlasgowBlue

The new Rwanda bill just published on 10:26 - Dec 7 by DJR

Interesting development. I wonder if Sunak will be announcing a John Major-like vote of confidence.

Rishi Sunak will be holding a press conference at 11am, No 10 has announced.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2023 10:26]

I dint think he’ll do a Major and call a leadership election but it wouldn’t surprise me if he doesn’t make the Rwanda deal a government confidence vote, which would mean any Tory MP who doesn’t vote for it will lose the whip & wont be able to stand as a Tory candidate in any imminent election.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The new Rwanda bill just published on 10:57 - Dec 7 with 1031 viewsDJR

The new Rwanda bill just published on 10:47 - Dec 7 by GlasgowBlue

I dint think he’ll do a Major and call a leadership election but it wouldn’t surprise me if he doesn’t make the Rwanda deal a government confidence vote, which would mean any Tory MP who doesn’t vote for it will lose the whip & wont be able to stand as a Tory candidate in any imminent election.

You may well be right.
The new Rwanda bill just published on 11:13 - Dec 7 with 1005 viewsDJR

The new Rwanda bill just published on 10:57 - Dec 7 by DJR

You may well be right.

Look like he is holding in reserve the option of quitting the ECHR. Whether that is something he would ever do, or be allowed to do by many MPs, is another matter.

EDIT: it was this passage that made me conclude this.

He also adds a warning for the Strasbourg court, saying he will "not allow a foreign court to block these flights" and will "do what is necessary" if it intervenes.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2023 11:23]
The new Rwanda bill just published on 11:25 - Dec 7 with 976 viewsElderGrizzly

The new Rwanda bill just published on 11:13 - Dec 7 by DJR

Look like he is holding in reserve the option of quitting the ECHR. Whether that is something he would ever do, or be allowed to do by many MPs, is another matter.

EDIT: it was this passage that made me conclude this.

He also adds a warning for the Strasbourg court, saying he will "not allow a foreign court to block these flights" and will "do what is necessary" if it intervenes.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2023 11:23]

Cleverly said on the floor of the House yesterday they would under no circumstances leave the ECHR.

A lie or pushing back on the PM?
The new Rwanda bill just published on 12:19 - Dec 7 with 954 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

I see Sunak's now going with the "I'm right, you're wrong" debating strategy.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

The new Rwanda bill just published on 12:26 - Dec 7 with 945 viewsRadlett_blue

What an utterly stupid issue about which to have a big dispute. The Rwanda Plan was hatched during Johnson's leadership. A man of Sunak's intelligence should have figured it was unworkable & dropped it ASAP. He's now acting like a losing roulette player, endlessly backing an obviously losing "system".

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

The new Rwanda bill just published on 12:35 - Dec 7 with 931 viewsDanTheMan

The new Rwanda bill just published on 12:26 - Dec 7 by Radlett_blue

What an utterly stupid issue about which to have a big dispute. The Rwanda Plan was hatched during Johnson's leadership. A man of Sunak's intelligence should have figured it was unworkable & dropped it ASAP. He's now acting like a losing roulette player, endlessly backing an obviously losing "system".

I don't think he cares it's unworkable, it's just trying to show they are doing something whilst keeping the two sides of his party together.

Then it can be Labour's problem.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Keir Starmer coruscating review of the Rwanda agreement in PMQ on 12:41 - Dec 7 with 927 viewsunstableblue

This Rwanda folly is just embarrassing - it’s intended to throw red meat to the base. But it’s so flawed as to now becoming a vote loser

The bigger Tory joke is that they are lauding their new immigration policy for legal migration to try and solve the true immigration volume - but it’s their own flawed policies they are actually trying to fix

You literally couldn’t make it up

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

The new Rwanda bill just published on 12:45 - Dec 7 with 919 viewsElderGrizzly

The new Rwanda bill just published on 12:35 - Dec 7 by DanTheMan

I don't think he cares it's unworkable, it's just trying to show they are doing something whilst keeping the two sides of his party together.

Then it can be Labour's problem.

And he's just positioned it at his press conference as if Labour don't support it next week they are "against the will of the British people"

I'm not sure who he thinks these British people are outside of his dog whistling supporters of the ex-Home secretary.

No.10 also said he isn't making the vote next week one of confidence, probably as he knows he'll lose it and have no option but to call a GE.
The new Rwanda bill just published on 12:52 - Dec 7 with 911 viewsRyorry

The new Rwanda bill just published on 12:26 - Dec 7 by Radlett_blue

Another policy ripe for a poster on side of buses campaign -

“Aren’t Prime Ministers supposed to be intelligent?”

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The new Rwanda bill just published on 13:12 - Dec 7 with 898 viewsRadlett_blue

The new Rwanda bill just published on 12:45 - Dec 7 by ElderGrizzly

And he's just positioned it at his press conference as if Labour don't support it next week they are "against the will of the British people"

I'm not sure who he thinks these British people are outside of his dog whistling supporters of the ex-Home secretary.

No.10 also said he isn't making the vote next week one of confidence, probably as he knows he'll lose it and have no option but to call a GE.

Indeed, the polls show that only about 30% support the bonkers Rwanda scheme. The media's obsession with small Channel boats is unhealthy as these account for no more than 5% of UK immigrants.

The new Rwanda bill just published on 13:23 - Dec 7 with 884 viewsDJR

The new Rwanda bill just published on 11:25 - Dec 7 by ElderGrizzly

Cleverly said on the floor of the House yesterday they would under no circumstances leave the ECHR.

A lie or pushing back on the PM?

Clearly, Cleverly would not let it pass, and there are many Tory MPs who feel the same.

It is for this reason that I think that the lie comes from Sunak, who is threatening something he probably knows he won't be able to deliver.

Having said all this, very disturbing to hear Cameron (supposed to be a reasonable person) supporting a Bill assumed to be not compatible with the Human Rights Act.
The new Rwanda bill just published on 13:32 - Dec 7 with 873 viewsRyorry

The new Rwanda bill just published on 13:23 - Dec 7 by DJR

Clearly, Cleverly would not let it pass, and there are many Tory MPs who feel the same.

It is for this reason that I think that the lie comes from Sunak, who is threatening something he probably knows he won't be able to deliver.

Having said all this, very disturbing to hear Cameron (supposed to be a reasonable person) supporting a Bill assumed to be not compatible with the Human Rights Act.

Someone who blindly and bullishly ploughed ahead with the brexsh1t referendum against all good advice, just to try and glue the two wings of his party back together, can’t be trusted as a “reasonable” person!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The new Rwanda bill just published on 13:42 - Dec 7 with 854 viewsBlueschev

The new Rwanda bill just published on 13:23 - Dec 7 by DJR

Cameron is the worst of the lot, every public service in this country is significantly worse than when he became PM as a direct result of the policies his Government put in place. He and Osbourne are just much better as framing themselves as "moderates". He's the worst PM this country has ever had.
The new Rwanda bill just published on 13:43 - Dec 7 with 847 viewsDJR

The new Rwanda bill just published on 13:42 - Dec 7 by Blueschev

Cameron is the worst of the lot, every public service in this country is significantly worse than when he became PM as a direct result of the policies his Government put in place. He and Osbourne are just much better as framing themselves as "moderates". He's the worst PM this country has ever had.

Absolutely.
The new Rwanda bill just published on 15:25 - Dec 7 with 792 viewsRadlett_blue

The new Rwanda bill just published on 13:42 - Dec 7 by Blueschev

You seem to have forgotten Theresa May (and Liz Truss).

The new Rwanda bill just published on 15:29 - Dec 7 with 787 viewsBlueschev

The new Rwanda bill just published on 15:25 - Dec 7 by Radlett_blue

You seem to have forgotten Theresa May (and Liz Truss).

Neither of them would have come close to being PM were it not for the Brexit disaster he inflicted on us. And Truss doesn't count, that was just Tory member bantz. Come to think of it, has the past 13 years been the banter era of British politics?
The new Rwanda bill just published on 16:04 - Dec 7 with 762 viewsRadlett_blue

The new Rwanda bill just published on 15:29 - Dec 7 by Blueschev

Neither of them would have come close to being PM were it not for the Brexit disaster he inflicted on us. And Truss doesn't count, that was just Tory member bantz. Come to think of it, has the past 13 years been the banter era of British politics?

I would argue that the architect of Brexit was Cameron, by calling a referendum in the ill-advised notion that it would "settle the issue for once and all". Boris getting the tory leadership & becoming PM was a result of that.

The new Rwanda bill just published on 16:50 - Dec 7 with 732 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The new Rwanda bill just published on 23:26 - Dec 6 by BlueBadger

Is that even A Thing, legally?

I think that's why the Government's legal advisers have insisted on a disclaimer on the front of it along the lines of "we want nothing to do with this illegal legislation!"

It's like this government has learned nothing from dismissing experts over Brexit, Covid, the economy, etc, etc.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The new Rwanda bill just published on 18:00 - Dec 7 with 709 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Do many of them see being unable to stand as a Tory candidate in any imminent election as a bad thing?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024