Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I’m having a pretty shoite night 02:45 - Jan 21 with 1759 viewsNewcyBlue

We are in Santos, Brazil. I do day work in port. So I came down to the office to check on things at 0700 before I went for breakfast. I finished at 1800, after being around for the handover between the junior officers. Cargo in progress, 3 cranes, departure at 0630. Everything else complete.

I was about to get some kip at 2020hrs when my phone went. The third mate giving me the good news that our heeling pump is no longer working.

The heeling pump keeps the ship upright in port. We have a panel that has sensors to sense how much of a list the ship has, and then pumps water from one side to the other when that list exceeds the limit that I set.

When I joined I was told that this pump is leaking water into the oil reservoir of the pump. The engineers say they just change the oil when it stops working.

Oil is changed and they say everything is fine. I test it and it’s still not working. Yeah he engineers say it must be working. They have a new mechanical seal for it, but it’s an 8 hour job and they want to do it when it properly fails. Which annoys me as it will “properly fail” in port when it is needed.

After some back and forth the 4th Engineer goes back down to the heeling pump. Apparently it’s making an awful noise.

So now I am the heeling pump. Moving ballast from one side to the other using my ballast pumps.

I imagine I will finish tomorrow once the pilot is off, so that will be around 0830.

I would leave my duty officer to do it, but I need them on deck monitoring cargo and checking the cargo securing as we are going on a 24 day crossing to Singapore.

Balls!

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

I’m having a pretty shoite night on 03:55 - Jan 21 with 1660 viewsOldsmoker

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
That's why you got the promotion. The bosses knew they could rely on you to be responsible and own problems and sort them out.
Are your engineers spanish by any chance? Manana and all that.
Keep going Newcy. You'll get through this. The crew will respect you more after this.
And then some well earned sleep.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

I’m having a pretty shoite night on 04:13 - Jan 21 with 1652 viewsNewcyBlue

I’m having a pretty shoite night on 03:55 - Jan 21 by Oldsmoker

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
That's why you got the promotion. The bosses knew they could rely on you to be responsible and own problems and sort them out.
Are your engineers spanish by any chance? Manana and all that.
Keep going Newcy. You'll get through this. The crew will respect you more after this.
And then some well earned sleep.

I’ve settled in to a chair in the office. My 2nd Officer is a South African, I get on well with him. He pops back in from the deck every now and then for a chat. We know a few of the same people.

Still better now than on the Asia coast, where they work the cargo much quicker.

I’m having a pretty shoite night on 11:23 - Jan 21 with 1252 viewsazuremerlangus

8 hours to change a mechanical seal? Or is it mentally big pump?

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

I just spilt some of my tea..... on 11:35 - Jan 21 with 1209 viewsBloots

....on my desk.

We've all got issues mate, no need to go on about it.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

I’m having a pretty shoite night on 13:04 - Jan 21 with 1116 viewsWarkystache

Get a really good mental picture of Newcy's life by playing this in the background while reading the above

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

I’m having a pretty shoite night on 17:42 - Jan 21 with 984 viewsNewcyBlue

I’m having a pretty shoite night on 11:23 - Jan 21 by azuremerlangus

8 hours to change a mechanical seal? Or is it mentally big pump?

Oh the heeling pump on these bad boys is massive! It’s also in the bottom of a cargo hold, with limited access. The engineers moan like hell. I normally have to send ABs to help with this job.

I’m having a pretty shoite night on 17:46 - Jan 21 with 976 viewsNewcyBlue

I’m having a pretty shoite night on 04:13 - Jan 21 by NewcyBlue

I’ve settled in to a chair in the office. My 2nd Officer is a South African, I get on well with him. He pops back in from the deck every now and then for a chat. We know a few of the same people.

Still better now than on the Asia coast, where they work the cargo much quicker.

My night got worse...

We were informed by the stevedores that they were running out of twistlocks (the thing that goes on the corners between the containers to lock them together). It turns out we had some damaged ones in our gear bins.

We ended up leaving 30 empty containers behind. Which all told wasn’t terrible. It didn’t stop the company asking stupid questions “how are they in such condition?”. We have 9600 twistlocks, 190 is just under 2%. It’s not bad. After a polite explanation they are thanking me for a job well done. And I finally got 5 hours kip.

I’m just about to go do 100 burpees. Day one of 24 day ocean crossing. 100 burpees a day.

I’m having a pretty shoite night on 18:42 - Jan 21 with 923 viewsazuremerlangus

I’m having a pretty shoite night on 17:42 - Jan 21 by NewcyBlue

Oh the heeling pump on these bad boys is massive! It’s also in the bottom of a cargo hold, with limited access. The engineers moan like hell. I normally have to send ABs to help with this job.

I thought it might be the case!

Login to get fewer ads

I’m having a pretty shoite night on 18:46 - Jan 21 with 918 viewsazuremerlangus

I’m having a pretty shoite night on 17:46 - Jan 21 by NewcyBlue

My night got worse...

We were informed by the stevedores that they were running out of twistlocks (the thing that goes on the corners between the containers to lock them together). It turns out we had some damaged ones in our gear bins.

We ended up leaving 30 empty containers behind. Which all told wasn’t terrible. It didn’t stop the company asking stupid questions “how are they in such condition?”. We have 9600 twistlocks, 190 is just under 2%. It’s not bad. After a polite explanation they are thanking me for a job well done. And I finally got 5 hours kip.

I’m just about to go do 100 burpees. Day one of 24 day ocean crossing. 100 burpees a day.

Try a b*st*rd rather than a burpee - add a press up to the middle of the squat thrust and do a star jump when coming to the standing position.

Aptly named...

I’m having a pretty shoite night on 19:27 - Jan 21 with 881 viewsNthQldITFC

You could just roll over and go back to sleep and roll over.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

I’m having a pretty shoite night on 20:40 - Jan 21 with 834 viewsfabian_illness

I’ve got a spare shower pump at work, could send it recorded delivery if it helps?
I’m having a pretty shoite night on 21:08 - Jan 21 with 797 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Not having a great day, either.

Left Bedfordshire at 9 this morning to bring container to Seaforth Container Terminal, Liverpool, to drop off export container and pick up an import. Requested the shipping company to book me in at Seaforth at 1300, my eta.

The earliest booking they could get was 1600. I arrived at Seaforth 1255 and waited 3 hours before entering the Port on my booking time.

It is now just after 9pm and I am still waiting to lift off the export box. Don't know how long it will take to lift on the import.

When I arrive at the delivery, tomorrow, the importer will blame me for being very late. Possibly he will reject the load because of it.

At least my twistlocks are all okay!

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024