Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Learning a new language 09:09 - Apr 26 with 1392 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

Due to a sudden influx of spare time, my wife and I are looking to learn French. (Hopefully it will be useful in the future).

Neither of us have any particular experience in learning a language other than school level French around 20 years ago!

Does anyone have any tips or particular websites that have helped them?

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Learning a new language on 09:24 - Apr 26 with 1339 viewsEdwardStone

Try to learn plenty of vocab early on, then travel to the country and spend loads of time talking to and mingling with the locals....my experience is that the French in particular are very tetchy about strangers mis-using their fine language and so they endlessly correct your errors....and that is a very powerful way to improve

Obviously works when Covid travel restrictions are lifted for the visiting France bit
Learning a new language on 09:26 - Apr 26 with 1336 viewsKieran_Knows

I'm currently using Duolingo to learn German.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Learning a new language on 09:26 - Apr 26 with 1336 viewsKeno

I found Duolingo is very good to get a basic start

https://www.duolingo.com

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Learning a new language on 09:27 - Apr 26 with 1332 viewsElephantintheRoom

I still use Duolingo from time to time. And try and learn new words every day from a dictionary to learn with hindsight things that I struggle with in everyday life.

Best way to learn is to go to what used to be called evening classes - you meet like-minded people and improve in leaps and bounds. I went from stumbling o level franglais of 30 years' vintage to reasonable proficiency quite quickly.

Try French radio and newspapers on line when you get mildly proficient - for sports and especially when global news stories like covid you more or less know what they're talking about. And frenchTV progs like 'call my agent' and the sexy female french detectives on 'walter presents' with sub titles.

Mind you - nothing prepares you for the French equivalent of Brummie, Scouse or Norfolk accents. Nor trying to think in French and have a conversation.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Learning a new language on 09:30 - Apr 26 with 1321 viewsDarth_Koont

Apps like Duolingo are very good. They use the best approaches to learning a language according to the research.

I’d start off with those as you can make quick progress, and then start immersing yourself in the language (travel, culture, films, music, books, real conversations with French people) as time goes on.

Pronouns: He/Him

Learning a new language on 09:36 - Apr 26 with 1306 viewsSarge

I tried duolingo for many languages and thought it to be crap. Unless it’s significantly changed since I last used it, it’s a repetitive exercise of matching pictures to words and doesn’t help you to learn sentence structure or useful phrases. As far as I’m aware much more expensive software like Rosetta Stone is essentially the same.

What worked for me, and I would follow this approach if I was to learn another language, was getting a book and preferably one with an accompanying CD so you can listen and repeat.

This was the book I used and I’d highly recommend something like this in whatever language you choose. https://library.teachyourself.com/id004325062/Complete-German
Learning a new language on 09:40 - Apr 26 with 1281 viewsKropotkin123

I'd recommend the Michel Thomas French set. I got them for my partner and she picked up French from them quick enough to get by. You learn in a way that allows you to pick up a lot of the language quickly with minimal effort.

Over a decade ago I used them to pick up Spanish and I still retain a little of what I learnt, despite only using it for 3 months in Central America.

From learning Korean (very basic), I'd say consistency is the greatest tip. An hour a day or X amount a week. Whatever it is, keep consistent in your learning. Not being consistent will slow down your learning.

I used to do one lesson a week and one language exchange per week. Plus I was living there, so I'd pick up things naturally.

Set yourself homework... By that I mean don't learn it once and think you will retain it. Come back to it in a week or month and practice what you learnt again.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2021 9:41]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Learning a new language on 09:41 - Apr 26 with 1272 viewsGeoffSentence

Youtube is great for learning languages

For French I'd recommend subscribing to Francais Authentique. The presenter, Johan, makes a point of speaking french slowly and clearly, so you get to hear the language but you can still make out what they are saying. Which is great for beginners.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

Learning a new language on 09:42 - Apr 26 with 1257 viewsElephantintheRoom

Learning a new language on 09:36 - Apr 26 by Sarge

I tried duolingo for many languages and thought it to be crap. Unless it’s significantly changed since I last used it, it’s a repetitive exercise of matching pictures to words and doesn’t help you to learn sentence structure or useful phrases. As far as I’m aware much more expensive software like Rosetta Stone is essentially the same.

What worked for me, and I would follow this approach if I was to learn another language, was getting a book and preferably one with an accompanying CD so you can listen and repeat.

This was the book I used and I’d highly recommend something like this in whatever language you choose. https://library.teachyourself.com/id004325062/Complete-German

I would tend to agree with learning from scratch - Ive found Duoling baffling when learning Spanish and Welsh.

But if you have a basic knowledge of the language from GCSE - then Duolingo is excellent. At least in French

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Learning a new language on 09:43 - Apr 26 with 1252 viewsKropotkin123

Learning a new language on 09:41 - Apr 26 by GeoffSentence

Youtube is great for learning languages

For French I'd recommend subscribing to Francais Authentique. The presenter, Johan, makes a point of speaking french slowly and clearly, so you get to hear the language but you can still make out what they are saying. Which is great for beginners.

Good point, I used YouTube a lot as a resource too.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Learning a new language on 09:53 - Apr 26 with 1212 viewsfactual_blue

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Learning a new language on 10:02 - Apr 26 with 1197 viewsjeera

I see people mentioning Duo and to be fair there's not much wrong with it as a starting point.

Note the app is somewhat different to the website - the app is rather limited for obvious reasons and useful only for a bit of practice if stuck in a waiting room somewhere or sitting on the loo.

I'd use a multi-pronged approach; I've used Duo the website, but for the more technical stuff Lawless is pretty good and has a free option or a paid up full version:

https://www.lawlessfrench.com/

Grab a Michel Thomas CD for a rather snotty but useful teacher to help with pronunciation/diction. His beginner's CDs can be picked up for a fiver.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2021 10:03]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Learning a new language on 10:24 - Apr 26 with 1160 viewsGeoffSentence

Learning a new language on 09:53 - Apr 26 by factual_blue

mon helicopter est plein d'anguilles

Learning a new language on 10:24 - Apr 26 with 1158 viewsbelgablue

Duolingo is pretty good and you can do small bits daily. Would also recommend learning from a native speaker if possible - loads of language schools are online at the moment so should be easier to find than normal. Superprof usually a good way to find a one on one teacher

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Learning a new language on 10:36 - Apr 26 with 1145 viewsfactual_blue

Learning a new language on 10:24 - Apr 26 by GeoffSentence

mon helicopter est plein d'anguilles

Aéroglisseur , pas hélicoptère .

Learning a new language on 10:44 - Apr 26 with 1128 viewsGeoffSentence

Learning a new language on 10:36 - Apr 26 by factual_blue

Aéroglisseur , pas hélicoptère .

ah oui, mon erreur

Learning a new language on 11:12 - Apr 26 with 1102 viewsfactual_blue

You want to go for Mandarin, Finnish, or Navajo.

Learning a new language on 12:07 - Apr 26 with 1065 viewsborge

I used Michel Thomas quite some time ago to give me the basics of Italian and for the past year or so (10 minutes a day) I have been using Duolingo. Both are decent but you will ultimately learn a lot more by being in a situation where you can speak it. Also worth watching some French language TV - with the English subtitles on you will start to pick up certain words and phrases.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024