Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... 15:43 - Aug 6 with 3731 viewsSlambo

...remember that Sheff Utd were a league 1 side last season and did alright...

...Bournemouth coped admirably, eventually getting promoted...

...and strike me down blind, but our shallow gene pool friends up the way managed pretty well an all.

Have faith. Paul Hurst knows a decent player when he sees one. It'll be erratic for the first few months, but it will click. Next season is ours - Ipswich 2020 vision...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 15:44 - Aug 6 with 3713 viewsitfcjoe

It's very different coming up as a team that are in a winning habit and know each others games and carrying on that momentum.

I'm personally not over worried, but are there examples of sides that have recruited heavily (almost exclusively) from the lower tiers and done well as that would be a much better example.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 15:49 - Aug 6 with 3660 viewsDanFord

We are also not an entire League One side, but pin pointing the ones we think can step up to the Championship and develop further. Even a promoted League One side will contain 4/5 players probably not cut out to perform at the higher level.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 15:52 - Aug 6 with 3648 viewsTheDailyTractor

For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 15:44 - Aug 6 by itfcjoe

It's very different coming up as a team that are in a winning habit and know each others games and carrying on that momentum.

I'm personally not over worried, but are there examples of sides that have recruited heavily (almost exclusively) from the lower tiers and done well as that would be a much better example.

Could be wrong but Huddersfield? Think a couple of there's were German lower league. Cardiff aswell took 3 or 4 lower league players last year. Maybe not as many as us but still a few.

I think it's exciting. We could do with a small amount more of experience but it's been good so far. Edwards and Nolan are excellent signings
[Post edited 6 Aug 2018 15:52]
For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 15:55 - Aug 6 with 3615 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Millwall last season?

To be honest, its being massively overplayed.

I would say at least a third of the Champ is made up of teams with predominantly Championship and ex-lower league players.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 16:01 - Aug 6 with 3580 viewsMonkey_Blue

I have to disagree... not many teams can sign 7 or 8 players with zero championship experience and do well. All are to an extent guesses because they’ve never competed against this level of player. It’s a huge gamble to assume they will perform at this level. I hope they all turn out to be good enough.. but does good enough mean average? That’s not going to progress us. Personally think we needed one or two more experienced players at this level.
For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 16:02 - Aug 6 with 3563 viewswkj

The moment we sign them, they become championship players ... sorted

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 16:03 - Aug 6 with 3557 viewsDanFord

For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 16:01 - Aug 6 by Monkey_Blue

I have to disagree... not many teams can sign 7 or 8 players with zero championship experience and do well. All are to an extent guesses because they’ve never competed against this level of player. It’s a huge gamble to assume they will perform at this level. I hope they all turn out to be good enough.. but does good enough mean average? That’s not going to progress us. Personally think we needed one or two more experienced players at this level.

Ultimately though we could have Nsiala, Harrison, Edwards, Donacien and Nolan as the only players starting regularly from lower leagues. Chalobah is slightly different in that he's a Premier League player in the making, who may prove to be a class above. If we have Bart, Knudsen, Chambers, Skuse, Ward for example, then it's a mixture. We are never having 8 players from lower league out there at once.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 16:13 - Aug 6 with 3514 viewsGuthrum

For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 16:01 - Aug 6 by Monkey_Blue

How many teams have signed that many lower division players? What sort of quality were they?

Is there enough evidence to really prejudge how this policy is likely to go, or is it merely received wisdom that a large slice of Championship experience is required to do well in this division?

Our new recruits are all experienced footballers.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 16:23 - Aug 6 with 3482 viewsFenboyBlue

If we're going to try this way of building a team then PH is a far better judge of League 1 players than the last few managers we've had. This is probably the only way we'll get a sniff of promotion with ME not financially willing to compete on the levels of Boro and Derby. Of course it could all go horribly wrong, but he who dares....
And PH isn't signing players from his previous club so they can just come along for the ride now is he ?
For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 16:38 - Aug 6 with 3425 viewsBluedandy

Bradley Dack was Blackburn's best player by a country mile and Saturday was his first ever game in the Championship ...

Likewise Gwion Edwards was our best player and again had never played at that level in England .....

Lower league players are not randomly selected .... a transfer equivalent of Russian roulette .... we're after the very best ...

Our path to the Premiership - however daunting - will not be eased by signing a plethora of bread and butter Championship players ....
For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 16:41 - Aug 6 with 3410 viewsNo9

Us oldun's can remember Man City signing Tony Book a building site worker who became the MC club captain
For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 16:43 - Aug 6 with 3397 viewsPJH

For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 16:41 - Aug 6 by No9

Us oldun's can remember Man City signing Tony Book a building site worker who became the MC club captain

and (I think) captained their 1968 League and 1969 F.A. Cup winning team.
For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 16:57 - Aug 6 with 3355 viewsrickw

Finding talented lower league players and progressing our own youths is our only chance, we can't afford Premier League player wages - Paul Jewell tried that and look how that worked!

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 17:02 - Aug 6 with 3326 viewsPJH

For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 16:57 - Aug 6 by rickw

Finding talented lower league players and progressing our own youths is our only chance, we can't afford Premier League player wages - Paul Jewell tried that and look how that worked!

Paul Jewell's side did take West Ham apart at Upton Park though-we did look to have cracked it that night.
For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 17:03 - Aug 6 with 3324 viewsDessyCook

It has to be a bit of a concern when PHs scouting only seems to go as far as anyone who has played for the ultra successful Grimsby Town on one season wonders but ultimately achieved nothing Shrewsbury Town !!! There are other places to look Paul !!!!!!
For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 17:52 - Aug 6 with 3247 viewsgt81

For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 17:03 - Aug 6 by DessyCook

It has to be a bit of a concern when PHs scouting only seems to go as far as anyone who has played for the ultra successful Grimsby Town on one season wonders but ultimately achieved nothing Shrewsbury Town !!! There are other places to look Paul !!!!!!

I've no doubt he will, once our more pressing needs are met. He's only had, what, 8 weeks or so in position, and much of that will have been spent on training the team and getting the first batch of players in.
For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 18:02 - Aug 6 with 3219 viewsVic

For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 16:03 - Aug 6 by DanFord

Ultimately though we could have Nsiala, Harrison, Edwards, Donacien and Nolan as the only players starting regularly from lower leagues. Chalobah is slightly different in that he's a Premier League player in the making, who may prove to be a class above. If we have Bart, Knudsen, Chambers, Skuse, Ward for example, then it's a mixture. We are never having 8 players from lower league out there at once.

“Chalobah is slightly different in that he's a Premier League player in the making, who may prove to be a class above. ”

Sorry but I think that’s a nonsense statement! He’s exactly the same as the other players in that he has NO championship experience. In fact, he actually has NO senior football experience at all.

However, I think I know what you mean - that he comes from Chelsea and is earmarked for better things. But if Hursts judgement is right who’s to say that Nolan, Edwards, or some of the others he’s signed will not turn out to be premiership players in the making? Or Dozzell or Woolfie, or Downes, etc.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 18:08 - Aug 6 with 3205 viewsVic

For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 16:41 - Aug 6 by No9

Or our own Roger Osbourne! oK, not the worlds best but he just turned up to take his brother(I think) to training and ended up signing.

Or Ian Wright?

Or Jamie Vardy?

The things is the players we’re signing seem to be acknowledged by most people who know league 1 and 2 as some of the best players in those leagues. If they are that good they will be able to make the step up releatively easy.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 18:22 - Aug 6 with 3174 viewsTrequartista

ended up manager didn't he? although i think i recall in name only as Malcolm Allison made the decisions.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 18:29 - Aug 6 with 3164 viewsPJH

For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 18:22 - Aug 6 by Trequartista

ended up manager didn't he? although i think i recall in name only as Malcolm Allison made the decisions.

I have recently acquired a biography of Malcolm Allison although I have not yet started to read it.
Just looked on Wiki and Tony Book is listed as Manager of Man C from 1973-1979 and Big Mal was at Palace, in Turkey and at Plymouth between those dates.
Joe Mercer and Malcolm Allison were a partnership at Man C but there is a lot of debate about who did what.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2018 18:32]
For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 18:35 - Aug 6 with 3148 viewsCoastalblue

For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 18:08 - Aug 6 by Vic

Or our own Roger Osbourne! oK, not the worlds best but he just turned up to take his brother(I think) to training and ended up signing.

Or Ian Wright?

Or Jamie Vardy?

The things is the players we’re signing seem to be acknowledged by most people who know league 1 and 2 as some of the best players in those leagues. If they are that good they will be able to make the step up releatively easy.

Simon Milton?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 20:01 - Aug 6 with 3059 viewsDessyCook

For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 18:08 - Aug 6 by Vic

Or Ian Wright?

Or Jamie Vardy?

You also cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear !
For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 21:58 - Aug 7 with 2881 viewsTrequartista

For those of you concerned about Towen signing lower league players... on 18:29 - Aug 6 by PJH

I have recently acquired a biography of Malcolm Allison although I have not yet started to read it.
Just looked on Wiki and Tony Book is listed as Manager of Man C from 1973-1979 and Big Mal was at Palace, in Turkey and at Plymouth between those dates.
Joe Mercer and Malcolm Allison were a partnership at Man C but there is a lot of debate about who did what.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2018 18:32]

I think Book stayed on at City after 79 when Allison was appointed. One was manager the other coach or something like that. Certainly Allison was in the one in charge.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024