Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whittaker Latest 23:57 - Dec 31 with 38054 viewsTalkingBlues

A little birdie tells me that Swansea don’t see him returning to play 1st team football and need money for January transfer targets, so any move would be a purchase and not a loan. Valuation sits at £1.5 million to £2 million so he is well within our sights from a valuation perspective and there has definitely been “serious interest” from Ipswich.

Looks like this could be more realistic than previously thought on here.

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

Whittaker Latest on 00:41 - Jan 1 with 17741 viewsSwansea_Blue

Was that little birdie me? As I’ve said before, he’s not fancied down here for some reason. And it’s not just under the current management. He was signed under Cooper and he didn’t fancy him either. That’s not me criticising him btw - I don’t understand why he wasn’t given more of a chance as he looked lively. But yeah, in short he’s not fancied and I’m sure they’d take even a poor offer (Swansea are cheapskates these days and not that savvy financially).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Whittaker Latest on 00:44 - Jan 1 with 17710 viewscatch74

Someone* also pointed out that Swansea still owe us a good portion of the Downes fee.
*edit - Portmanking
[Post edited 1 Jan 2023 1:12]

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Whittaker Latest on 00:57 - Jan 1 with 17603 viewsSitfcB

Whittaker Latest on 00:44 - Jan 1 by catch74

Someone* also pointed out that Swansea still owe us a good portion of the Downes fee.
*edit - Portmanking

That is interesting.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Whittaker Latest on 01:01 - Jan 1 with 17590 viewsSwansea_Blue

Whittaker Latest on 00:44 - Jan 1 by catch74

*edit - Portmanking

I’m still gutted that it took Swansea to properly show his potential and secure the bigger move. KM would have loved him. He’d be a giant in this current team.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Whittaker Latest on 01:06 - Jan 1 with 17566 viewscatch74

Whittaker Latest on 01:01 - Jan 1 by Swansea_Blue

I’m still gutted that it took Swansea to properly show his potential and secure the bigger move. KM would have loved him. He’d be a giant in this current team.

Definitely - and wasn’t it stated that it wouldn’t have taken a lot to persuade him to stay.
I know not everyone is keen on Dozzell but I imagine McKenna would have got plenty more out of him too. Can’t complain with Morsy/ Evans though!

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Whittaker Latest on 01:16 - Jan 1 with 17479 viewsTalkingBlues

Whittaker Latest on 00:41 - Jan 1 by Swansea_Blue

Was that little birdie me? As I’ve said before, he’s not fancied down here for some reason. And it’s not just under the current management. He was signed under Cooper and he didn’t fancy him either. That’s not me criticising him btw - I don’t understand why he wasn’t given more of a chance as he looked lively. But yeah, in short he’s not fancied and I’m sure they’d take even a poor offer (Swansea are cheapskates these days and not that savvy financially).

No, but similar story. This version comes from inside the club, albeit, not a role in the senior set up, but he reckons they are in a bad way financially and are looking for a loan currently and need to sell players to raise money for transfers etc, which I didn’t really know as I’ve never followed much about the club.

The impression I got is that he’s not seen as Championship ready and as they need funds and he is in demand in League 1, he’s seen as a good option to sell and I was also surprised to hear that he reckons that Plymouth are paying a paltry amount of his wages, which strengthens the case for his sale even more. Nothing mentioned about the Downes money that someone else brought up, not sure they would entertain offsetting that as they need funds for transfers.

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

Whittaker Latest on 07:31 - Jan 1 with 16871 viewsITFCBlues

Whittaker Latest on 01:16 - Jan 1 by TalkingBlues

No, but similar story. This version comes from inside the club, albeit, not a role in the senior set up, but he reckons they are in a bad way financially and are looking for a loan currently and need to sell players to raise money for transfers etc, which I didn’t really know as I’ve never followed much about the club.

The impression I got is that he’s not seen as Championship ready and as they need funds and he is in demand in League 1, he’s seen as a good option to sell and I was also surprised to hear that he reckons that Plymouth are paying a paltry amount of his wages, which strengthens the case for his sale even more. Nothing mentioned about the Downes money that someone else brought up, not sure they would entertain offsetting that as they need funds for transfers.

I believe that Swansea have one of the lowest transfer budgets in the Championship so its plausible that they'll want to move him on. Its hard to see his value increasing any further as he continues his time in L1.

It could well happen and would be a huge statement of intent whilst significantly weakening Plymouth. But we shall see, may well be a load of rubbish but if they were to sell, you'd think we'd be one of the only sides capable of paying what it'd take to move him on.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Whittaker Latest on 08:48 - Jan 1 with 16434 viewsArnieM

Whittaker Latest on 07:31 - Jan 1 by ITFCBlues

I believe that Swansea have one of the lowest transfer budgets in the Championship so its plausible that they'll want to move him on. Its hard to see his value increasing any further as he continues his time in L1.

It could well happen and would be a huge statement of intent whilst significantly weakening Plymouth. But we shall see, may well be a load of rubbish but if they were to sell, you'd think we'd be one of the only sides capable of paying what it'd take to move him on.

Well if they still owe us for Downes we should get him for a reduced fee!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Login to get fewer ads

Whittaker Latest on 10:13 - Jan 1 with 15814 viewsWakh

Whittaker Latest on 08:48 - Jan 1 by ArnieM

Well if they still owe us for Downes we should get him for a reduced fee!

?
He doesn't mean they owe us, as in 'have not paid.' He means they are still paying for him.
Whittaker Latest (n/t) on 10:14 - Jan 1 with 15798 viewsipswichtillidie

[Post edited 1 Jan 2023 10:18]

Gav

Whittaker Latest on 11:15 - Jan 1 with 15325 viewsWallingford_Boy

Just get him, £2m is nothing to us.

RIP Sir Bobby

Whittaker Latest on 11:21 - Jan 1 with 15270 viewsSomethingBlue

Interesting, and they are looking at players in the Ebiowei mould after all which suggests he's not coming back to fill a spot any time soon. I really suspect he sees the season out with Plymouth and would be pretty stunned if it's one we get done, I think people are discounting Plymouth's capability a little bit in general, but I've been wrong many times.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Whittaker Latest on 11:27 - Jan 1 with 15192 viewsKieran_Knows

Whittaker Latest on 11:21 - Jan 1 by SomethingBlue

Interesting, and they are looking at players in the Ebiowei mould after all which suggests he's not coming back to fill a spot any time soon. I really suspect he sees the season out with Plymouth and would be pretty stunned if it's one we get done, I think people are discounting Plymouth's capability a little bit in general, but I've been wrong many times.

I suppose just like everything in football, it comes down to money, doesn’t it? If Town make an offer to Swansea which sees them financially better off than the deal they have with Plymouth, whether it’s loan or permanent, Swansea will surely consider that?

That said, whether Whittaker would even want to come here is another question.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Whittaker Latest on 11:32 - Jan 1 with 15116 viewsSomethingBlue

Whittaker Latest on 11:27 - Jan 1 by Kieran_Knows

I suppose just like everything in football, it comes down to money, doesn’t it? If Town make an offer to Swansea which sees them financially better off than the deal they have with Plymouth, whether it’s loan or permanent, Swansea will surely consider that?

That said, whether Whittaker would even want to come here is another question.

Fair point re the financials. Think your final sentence is very important tbh — a move like this (if it's even on) would be a massive gamble for the player. Would presumably be very tempting to keep his head down in an environment where he's doing superbly and keep going for exactly the same outcome we're aiming for here.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Whittaker Latest on 11:44 - Jan 1 with 14926 viewsWakh

Whittaker Latest on 11:32 - Jan 1 by SomethingBlue

Fair point re the financials. Think your final sentence is very important tbh — a move like this (if it's even on) would be a massive gamble for the player. Would presumably be very tempting to keep his head down in an environment where he's doing superbly and keep going for exactly the same outcome we're aiming for here.

Swansea are just outside the playoffs and need to strengthen. A £1.5m bid would give them £2m-ish to play with and for a player they are not utilising and just speculating on it has to be of interest to them surely.

Plymouth's input would be minimal if Swansea want to accept it. What ever happens the speculation alone will see Plymouth paying more for him i would imagine and that in turn will weaken their opportunities to strengthen. They may have other options themselves and may prefer to invest that extra in another couple of loans instead.
Whittaker Latest on 11:51 - Jan 1 with 14810 viewsMookamoo

Whittaker Latest on 11:32 - Jan 1 by SomethingBlue

After a full season in a promotion winning Plymouth team he'll have many more options.

We would still be one of the better ones.
Whittaker Latest on 12:02 - Jan 1 with 14656 viewsWakh

Whittaker Latest on 11:51 - Jan 1 by Mookamoo

After a full season in a promotion winning Plymouth team he'll have many more options.

We would still be one of the better ones.

He might, but Plymouth may not get promoted. He may get an injury and he may have Bonnesk second half of the season. It all depends how much Swansea need the cash right now. It's all a gamble - for us as well.

This time last year we wanted Bonne (I think i am right there) and QPR wanted a significant 7 figure sum for him with Championship clubs allegedly interested. What was his value in the summer? and what is it now? QPR lost the gamble. It happens and if we bid right the stakes increase.
[Post edited 1 Jan 2023 12:13]
Whittaker Latest on 12:29 - Jan 1 with 14386 viewstractorboy1978

I find it odd that Swansea don't seem to want him at all. He's exactly the type of profile of player that could be worth £10m with one good season in the Championship. As you say, they seem to be going for very similar players - not sure why you wouldn't recall him when he's running hot at the moment.
Whittaker Latest on 12:36 - Jan 1 with 14295 viewsTalkingBlues

I don't have any intel at all from an ITFC perspective on signings (which is great tbh, we don't want everybody knowing who we are interested in) but from what I've been told and seen from the other view point and other more public sources pieces, it would certainly appear that Whittaker's signature is achievable for any club wanting to buy him for circa £2million'ish (possibly a bit less) and that certainly sits within our budget.

I think it would be a great piece of business for us, he has good future potential IMO, is already proven and performing at this level this season and it weakens our biggest league rivals in the process, it's exactly the sort of deal I'd be wanting to get done if I was ITFC.

I see the Ebiowei type link more as a TJJ replacement, someone who doesn't count towards the 22, but has potential, offers something different and could do a good job as an understudy. Realistically, we need 2 forwards signed this month IMO, one to be a regular and one youngster who gives a different option.

Whittaker Latest on 12:44 - Jan 1 with 14172 viewsVegtablue

If he starts for Plymouth today, is that good indication that our main targets reside elsewhere? I'd be surprised to see him play if there were concrete interest on our part and if he is attainable, which doesn't feel far-fetched given what we know of the contract situation. It wouldn't surprise me in all honesty if we're after other players, as much as I rate and want him.
Whittaker Latest on 13:22 - Jan 1 with 13917 viewsTalkingBlues

Whittaker Latest on 12:44 - Jan 1 by Vegtablue

If he starts for Plymouth today, is that good indication that our main targets reside elsewhere? I'd be surprised to see him play if there were concrete interest on our part and if he is attainable, which doesn't feel far-fetched given what we know of the contract situation. It wouldn't surprise me in all honesty if we're after other players, as much as I rate and want him.

I'd imagine that Plymouth would want to milk as much out of him as possible and he is still contracted there until he isn't, so I'm not sure his inclusion/exclusion today would mean anything?

I have no doubt that we identified our top targets a couple of months ago and have been working behind the scenes to progress those, but it's a very fluid environment and we will undoubtedly fail in several of our enquiries and also might find that some options that we hadn't considered previously arise out of the blue that tempt us.

Whittaker is most definitely a plausible signing for us and we know he is definitely on the target list, but to what extent? Is he a major target for McKenna? I don't know, but looking around the potential market for forwards that could come in and have immediate impact, for the right money, have potential etc I'm not sure there's a better option out there. There's other options, even in League 1, but most have been tied to long term deals and their clubs would no doubt be looking for ludicrous money to sell to us.

Whittaker Latest on 13:33 - Jan 1 with 13796 viewsJ2BLUE

Whittaker Latest on 12:44 - Jan 1 by Vegtablue

There might not be any recall until a certain date and if you're Plymouth you will play him as much as you can when it might come down to the odd point at the end of the season. If they really are paying a tiny percentage of his wages as well it's practically risk free as even if he got injured they'd just be scuppering his move to us (if there's anything in it).

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Whittaker Latest on 14:03 - Jan 1 with 13467 viewsVegtablue

Whittaker Latest on 13:33 - Jan 1 by J2BLUE

There might not be any recall until a certain date and if you're Plymouth you will play him as much as you can when it might come down to the odd point at the end of the season. If they really are paying a tiny percentage of his wages as well it's practically risk free as even if he got injured they'd just be scuppering his move to us (if there's anything in it).

Good points guys. My thoughts were Swansea would be able to recall him immediately and we'd have already resolved negotiations if he is a key target, as opposed to the Plymouth opting not to use him angle.

These things are rarely so clean though are they, naive optimism on my part for a quick answer either way!
Whittaker Latest on 14:03 - Jan 1 with 13451 viewspointofblue

Whittaker starting for Plymouth today. I was hoping he'd be missing from the 18 if we were really showing interest.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Whittaker Latest on 16:37 - Jan 1 with 12932 viewsTalkingBlues

A goal and 2 assists so far today (20 mins left?) I think he should be our primary target for this window.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024