Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Snowed in parents 16:38 - Mar 1 with 2062 viewsuefacup81

Something for the hive mind...

My parents live in an old thatched cottage at the ar*e end of the world (IP20 0PD) and are well and truly snowed in (massive drifts within about 200m whichever way they turn out of the drive). They've fitted snow chains to the car (a fairly beefy Skoda estate) but still can't get out.

They're off the grid, and are running out of fuel (logs and coal) to keep the house warm. Mum reckons they won't be going anywhere until it starts to thaw on Sunday.

My puny Fiesta definitely won't get me anywhere near the farm - any thoughts on how I can get them some help short of calling out the Red Cross?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Snowed in parents on 16:40 - Mar 1 with 2033 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Got a mate with a 4x4?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Snowed in parents on 16:41 - Mar 1 with 2036 viewsMullet

Have you got a team of mates who could pull together and help you make a delivery of kit and food? Maybe stop for a brew and check everything is ok?

Might be a decent challenge if you can drive as close as possible and drag the stuff the rest of the way but worth it?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Snowed in parents on 16:42 - Mar 1 with 2029 viewsuefacup81

Snowed in parents on 16:41 - Mar 1 by Mullet

Have you got a team of mates who could pull together and help you make a delivery of kit and food? Maybe stop for a brew and check everything is ok?

Might be a decent challenge if you can drive as close as possible and drag the stuff the rest of the way but worth it?

That's what I'm thinking. Suggested it to them, but they're certain even a 4x4 wouldn't even be able to get past (not that it would stop me trying if I could organise it!).

Is there any reliable way of finding out road conditions, or would it be a case of just driving down there and seeing what it's like when I inevitably encounter it?

Snowed in parents on 16:47 - Mar 1 with 1997 viewsMullet

Snowed in parents on 16:42 - Mar 1 by uefacup81

That's what I'm thinking. Suggested it to them, but they're certain even a 4x4 wouldn't even be able to get past (not that it would stop me trying if I could organise it!).

Is there any reliable way of finding out road conditions, or would it be a case of just driving down there and seeing what it's like when I inevitably encounter it?

I've not lived down that way for years but have driven past Mendham often enough to Halesworth, you'd have to go via the biggest roads possible and see how close you could get. It depends on how much the locals are likely to do I reckon.

If you get traffic on the approaches you might be all right. I'd try a facebook group or some other social media and see what those closest reckon first. Could be a good way to get help too.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Snowed in parents on 17:35 - Mar 1 with 1908 viewsEdwardStone

Phone call to nearby farmer or agricultural contractor google/yellow pages

Offer substantial bung to them for helping, drop vital supplies over

They will do the last few miles on the tricky roads in their big tractor or telehandler

Explain that parents are elderly for added sympathy

After the thaw, ensure parents always have extensive supplies to see out any unexpected future cold snap
Snowed in parents on 19:23 - Mar 1 with 1814 viewsMJallday

get them to pack a bag of clothes, lock the house, walk to your waiting car, and invite them to stay?

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Snowed in parents on 09:45 - Mar 2 with 1671 viewsuefacup81

All sorted!

Had a long chat with parents last night - managed to find some electric heaters they forgot that they had.

On top of that, Mother has managed to convince my stepdad to tap into his pile of 'precious' wood that he'd been keeping for 'things' for a number of years.

Crisis over!

Snowed in parents on 10:44 - Mar 2 with 1624 viewsWD19

Sounds like you need a moped.
Login to get fewer ads

Snowed in parents on 14:38 - Mar 2 with 1558 viewsGeoffSentence

Amazon drone delivery. Have they got that working yet?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024