Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How we all used to laugh 17:17 - Dec 21 with 2465 viewsGuthrum

at clubs who sacked their managers while at the top end of whatever division they were in.

Now, at least for some, it is a genuine dilemma. A fear that he may end up costing us a vital promotion has put us in that place.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

How we all used to laugh on 17:18 - Dec 21 with 2126 viewsBluefish

I don't think anyone laughs when that manager took them down a division in the 1st place

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

How we all used to laugh on 21:45 - Dec 21 with 2008 viewsgainsboroughblue

Now he hasn't got the 'cups distraction', there are really no excuses for this constant chop and change.

Players in the squad and not in the side have no reason to turn it on for the U-23's or in training as they know they'll get a game soon enough, and once in the side, no reason to bust a gut to cement a place in the side as the concept of a settled one is unheard of.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

How we all used to laugh on 22:19 - Dec 21 with 1925 viewsmonty_radio

The Lambert appointment had something in common with Jewell and Keane in that they'd all been there and done that, but that just turned out to be a fail-safe that had expired. It seems that Warnock and Sir Alex excepted, management is a game for those at the height of their powers until they start doing it by numbers.

And to think it was rumoured that we might have got Potter before we got Hurst.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

How we all used to laugh on 22:24 - Dec 21 with 1898 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

How we all used to laugh on 22:19 - Dec 21 by monty_radio

The Lambert appointment had something in common with Jewell and Keane in that they'd all been there and done that, but that just turned out to be a fail-safe that had expired. It seems that Warnock and Sir Alex excepted, management is a game for those at the height of their powers until they start doing it by numbers.

And to think it was rumoured that we might have got Potter before we got Hurst.

By rumoured do you mean a few divs on this messageboard?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

How we all used to laugh on 22:25 - Dec 21 with 1903 viewsPhilTWTD

I don't think there's any likelihood a change of manager is seriously being considered at present.
How we all used to laugh on 22:28 - Dec 21 with 1880 viewsHipsterectomy

How we all used to laugh on 22:25 - Dec 21 by PhilTWTD

I don't think there's any likelihood a change of manager is seriously being considered at present.

Do you think Lambert would leave? He has made it clear that he won't cover for Evans, if necessary, and has been trying since day 1 to build up a positive relationship with the fans. Last season he wasn't too hot on staying with us if we went down (by his own admission). Should the fan relationship turn sour I'm not sure what would be keeping him here

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

How we all used to laugh on 22:34 - Dec 21 with 1848 viewsTractorCam

How we all used to laugh on 22:28 - Dec 21 by Hipsterectomy

Do you think Lambert would leave? He has made it clear that he won't cover for Evans, if necessary, and has been trying since day 1 to build up a positive relationship with the fans. Last season he wasn't too hot on staying with us if we went down (by his own admission). Should the fan relationship turn sour I'm not sure what would be keeping him here

He cannot blame Evans, this is entirely on him.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

How we all used to laugh on 22:37 - Dec 21 with 1843 viewsPhilTWTD

Would surprise me if anything happened barring a catastrophic run, even if that were to be the case re the relationship. I'm sure PL is aware that managers can go from god to dog and perhaps back again, to use Mick McCarthy's phrase.
Login to get fewer ads

How we all used to laugh on 22:45 - Dec 21 with 1806 viewsRyorry

How we all used to laugh on 22:37 - Dec 21 by PhilTWTD

Would surprise me if anything happened barring a catastrophic run, even if that were to be the case re the relationship. I'm sure PL is aware that managers can go from god to dog and perhaps back again, to use Mick McCarthy's phrase.

Quite possibly his best phrase ever!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

How we all used to laugh on 22:46 - Dec 21 with 1801 viewsRyorry

How we all used to laugh on 17:18 - Dec 21 by Bluefish

I don't think anyone laughs when that manager took them down a division in the 1st place

We were gpoing down well before he arrived.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

How we all used to laugh on 22:57 - Dec 21 with 1754 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

How we all used to laugh on 22:46 - Dec 21 by Ryorry

We went down with a whimper though. A few good performances which all ended in draws aside.

We didn't get a bounce off him which we needed, and we spunked away games that we needed to win desperately. Wigan away comes to mind along with Milwall and Bristol. We also finished below a Bolton side that were in disarray.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

How we all used to laugh on 23:14 - Dec 21 with 1697 viewsPJH

How we all used to laugh on 22:46 - Dec 21 by Ryorry

We were in huge trouble but it was far from an impossible situation and someone else with a more pragmatic approach may well have got us out of it, of course no particular person comes to mind.

As other's have said we went down with a whimper.

Also the relationship that PL built up with the fans is starting to get a bit brittle-a few boos after the game today seemingly directed at PL.
How we all used to laugh on 01:54 - Dec 22 with 1572 viewsBiGDonnie

I read this one without seeing who’s posted.

Obvs it was you.

ME isn’t changing gafer this season, and rightly so.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

How we all used to laugh on 07:30 - Dec 22 with 1490 viewsitfcjoe

Strangely I think a new contract is much more likely to be announced than him going, Plan A still needs to be him working it out. His recruitment has been good but tactically those that talk about Culverhouse being the brains seem to be being proven right

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How we all used to laugh on 07:33 - Dec 22 with 1476 viewsitfcjoe

How we all used to laugh on 23:14 - Dec 21 by PJH

We were in huge trouble but it was far from an impossible situation and someone else with a more pragmatic approach may well have got us out of it, of course no particular person comes to mind.

As other's have said we went down with a whimper.

Also the relationship that PL built up with the fans is starting to get a bit brittle-a few boos after the game today seemingly directed at PL.

The biggest issue for me is we went down with a total whimper, AND we didn’t even get a style sorted for this year as we had a 9 month pre season and run up into it. That’s inexcusable.

How we all used to laugh on 08:26 - Dec 22 with 1365 viewsBluefish

How we all used to laugh on 07:30 - Dec 22 by itfcjoe

Strangely I think a new contract is much more likely to be announced than him going, Plan A still needs to be him working it out. His recruitment has been good but tactically those that talk about Culverhouse being the brains seem to be being proven right

WTAF???

Please tell me 1 thing that he has brought to this club in a football sense? He will potentially go down as our most incompetent manager ever. Impressive stuff considering we had roy keane! keane will obviously always be our worst manager ever but people are completely fooled by Lambert he has been atrocious in a football sense

How we all used to laugh on 08:29 - Dec 22 with 1350 viewsBluefish

The press has played a big part in getting some previous managers out but I suppose PRP hasn't taken the biscuits away like the club legend Jim did. It also kept keane in the job to continue doing damage.

How we all used to laugh on 08:32 - Dec 22 with 1330 viewsitfcjoe

How we all used to laugh on 08:26 - Dec 22 by Bluefish

WTAF???

Please tell me 1 thing that he has brought to this club in a football sense? He will potentially go down as our most incompetent manager ever. Impressive stuff considering we had roy keane! keane will obviously always be our worst manager ever but people are completely fooled by Lambert he has been atrocious in a football sense

I’m just telling you what I think will happen, not what I want to happen.

Him having an epiphany and heeding his own advice about stopping the constant chopping and changing is our best bet for success

How we all used to laugh on 08:36 - Dec 22 with 1320 viewsRadlett_blue

How we all used to laugh on 07:33 - Dec 22 by itfcjoe

The biggest issue for me is we went down with a total whimper, AND we didn’t even get a style sorted for this year as we had a 9 month pre season and run up into it. That’s inexcusable.

Lambert did initially try to impose a different style of play on the team - splitting the centre backs, playing it out from defence & sticking to 4-3-3. It looked better at times but was just as disastrous in terms of results as the Hurst regime. However, there was at least a pattern of play.
Lambert must have decided that either we don't have the quality of player to do this (e.g. Chambers, Nsiala, Wilson) so he's abandoned the strategy. Nothing particularly wrong with that, but he seems to have no preferred system and makes several team changes for every game so no wonder that Town look like a pick-up team on a Sunday park. His job this season is to get us promoted, but on the form of the last 11 games you wouldn't bet on it or a quick turnaround in form.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

How we all used to laugh on 08:59 - Dec 22 with 1245 viewsTractorWood

The only reason I would support it is because after watching the Bristol Rovers game I knew we were going to lose yesterday. If he's not taking us up, he has to go.

This Ipswich thing of giving managers far too much time has always troubled me. McCarthy wasn't sacked either, he left of his own volition after the owner had allowed it to fester and get so toxic that he called it a day.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

How we all used to laugh on 09:04 - Dec 22 with 1227 viewsArnieM

How we all used to laugh on 17:18 - Dec 21 by Bluefish

Lambert didn’t . It was Hurst that comfortably achieved that in his pre season squad rebuild consisting of league one and two players 👍

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

How we all used to laugh on 09:20 - Dec 22 with 1187 viewsMullet

How we all used to laugh on 09:04 - Dec 22 by ArnieM

Lambert didn’t . It was Hurst that comfortably achieved that in his pre season squad rebuild consisting of league one and two players 👍

Possibly, but it wasn't beyond the realms we could stay up. More importantly we could have fought for it and moulded a team to manage us into this season. Instead Lambert spent big on loanees we'd never afford at this level, so that suggests he felt he was going to keep us up.

The fact we finished below a Bolton team as bad and financially hobbled as that one, and zero guts or belief as we did it is a massive embarrassment. At the first sign of trouble this season he's done little to correct that so far.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

How we all used to laugh on 09:24 - Dec 22 with 1155 viewsBluefish

How we all used to laugh on 09:04 - Dec 22 by ArnieM

Lambert was definitely the one that took us down. Hurst was long gone

How we all used to laugh on 09:29 - Dec 22 with 1134 viewsblueislander

How we all used to laugh on 08:29 - Dec 22 by Bluefish

The press has played a big part in getting some previous managers out but I suppose PRP hasn't taken the biscuits away like the club legend Jim did. It also kept keane in the job to continue doing damage.

You are going to be so upset if we start winning games again, and end up getting promoted.
How we all used to laugh on 09:33 - Dec 22 with 1111 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

He won’t leave, as he knows if he fails here he’s pretty much finished as a manager. He needs us far more than we need him

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024