Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More tactical naivety... 21:22 - Dec 29 with 1981 viewsKeaneish

Tactical blunders are becoming a common theme, especially this month. Today we played a high press as we knew they like to play out from the back and at times we hunted in packs well but as soon as that ball went long they broke better than we could recover and we looked ragged for it. In my mind that’s because of the high press. Anyone else see it that way?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

More tactical naivety... on 21:31 - Dec 29 with 1557 viewsBlueBadger

It's almost as if the manager isn't very good and is fishing for something, anything that suggest he can walk it like he talks it.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

More tactical naivety... on 21:32 - Dec 29 with 1545 viewshomer_123

More tactical naivety... on 21:31 - Dec 29 by BlueBadger

It's almost as if the manager isn't very good and is fishing for something, anything that suggest he can walk it like he talks it.

He's played for big clubs you know.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

More tactical naivety... on 21:34 - Dec 29 with 1542 viewsKeaneish

More tactical naivety... on 21:31 - Dec 29 by BlueBadger

I wouldn’t say he was fishing for something, there’s perfectly good logic to his tactical approach, it just didn’t work, again - why?

More tactical naivety... on 21:36 - Dec 29 with 1524 viewshomer_123

More tactical naivety... on 21:34 - Dec 29 by Keaneish

I wouldn’t say he was fishing for something, there’s perfectly good logic to his tactical approach, it just didn’t work, again - why?

Why doesn't the high press work?

We have a habit of not being able to keep the ball and often tend to go long and losing possession.

Therein lies the problem of the high press.

More tactical naivety... on 21:38 - Dec 29 with 1511 viewsBlueBadger

More tactical naivety... on 21:34 - Dec 29 by Keaneish

This would seem like a perfectly good riposte to the argument 'Paul Lambert isn't a very good football manager' had we not just conceded 5 goals to Lincoln whilst in the throes of a winless league run extending into 'months', rather than 'games'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

More tactical naivety... on 21:39 - Dec 29 with 1502 viewsBlueBadger

More tactical naivety... on 21:36 - Dec 29 by homer_123

Why doesn't the high press work?

We have a habit of not being able to keep the ball and often tend to go long and losing possession.

Therein lies the problem of the high press.

Probably because it's not a tactic that the manager has tried until today?

More tactical naivety... on 21:39 - Dec 29 with 1499 viewsBlueBadger

More tactical naivety... on 21:32 - Dec 29 by homer_123

He's played for big clubs you know.

Has he won European trophies, bought drinks and managed Norwich as well?

More tactical naivety... on 21:41 - Dec 29 with 1491 viewshomer_123

More tactical naivety... on 21:39 - Dec 29 by BlueBadger

Has he won European trophies, bought drinks and managed Norwich as well?

I believe so.

Login to get fewer ads

More tactical naivety... on 21:43 - Dec 29 with 1473 viewsKeaneish

More tactical naivety... on 21:38 - Dec 29 by BlueBadger

This would seem like a perfectly good riposte to the argument 'Paul Lambert isn't a very good football manager' had we not just conceded 5 goals to Lincoln whilst in the throes of a winless league run extending into 'months', rather than 'games'.

It would increasingly seem like that’s the case. I can’t understand why, when defending from the front we were so horribly exposed when they broke on us. Hard to see on iFollow but I’m assuming there was a big chasm between the midfield and the back. Either that or people weren’t doing though their jobs. Point being, was it the fault of the players or PLs approach!?

More tactical naivety... on 21:44 - Dec 29 with 1464 viewsBlueBadger

More tactical naivety... on 21:41 - Dec 29 by homer_123

I believe so.

Why have we not given this man an extended contract?

More tactical naivety... on 21:45 - Dec 29 with 1459 viewsWestcountryblue

It's easy to see.

Our lack of a left winger is leaving us totally lop sided in the midfield. Same at RB.

Sort those 2 positions out and it will go a long way to solving our issues.

Another thing

Doz is a good player, but should only play in a 3 man central midfield.

Judge is a number 10...nothing else.

Woolfenden is superior to Donacien at RB

Sears isn't ready.

Keane offered us a presence and ability to hold the ball up to link the midfield. We should persist with him.
More tactical naivety... on 21:46 - Dec 29 with 1456 viewsBlueBadger

More tactical naivety... on 21:43 - Dec 29 by Keaneish

It would increasingly seem like that’s the case. I can’t understand why, when defending from the front we were so horribly exposed when they broke on us. Hard to see on iFollow but I’m assuming there was a big chasm between the midfield and the back. Either that or people weren’t doing though their jobs. Point being, was it the fault of the players or PLs approach!?

People aren't doing their jobs because they don't know what their jobs are because their manager tells them their jobs are different every few working days.

[Post edited 29 Dec 2019 21:46]

More tactical naivety... on 21:51 - Dec 29 with 1413 viewsBlueBadger

More tactical naivety... on 21:45 - Dec 29 by Westcountryblue

It's easy to see.

Our lack of a left winger is leaving us totally lop sided in the midfield. Same at RB.

Sort those 2 positions out and it will go a long way to solving our issues.

Another thing

Doz is a good player, but should only play in a 3 man central midfield.

Judge is a number 10...nothing else.

Woolfenden is superior to Donacien at RB

Sears isn't ready.

Keane offered us a presence and ability to hold the ball up to link the midfield. We should persist with him.

Plus our manager isn't very good and hasn't settled on a consistent team, formation or pattern of play despite being charge over a year.

More tactical naivety... on 21:52 - Dec 29 with 1411 viewsKeaneish

More tactical naivety... on 21:46 - Dec 29 by BlueBadger

People aren't doing their jobs because they don't know what their jobs are because their manager tells them their jobs are different every few working days.

[Post edited 29 Dec 2019 21:46]

A 442 high-press is pretty ordinary though, right? They practice pressing day in day out. If it was a cohesion issue today, which it looked like it was there are bigger questions to resolve than just whether the tactics were right or not.

More tactical naivety... on 21:56 - Dec 29 with 1395 viewsitfcjoe

More tactical naivety... on 21:52 - Dec 29 by Keaneish

A 442 high-press is pretty ordinary though, right? They practice pressing day in day out. If it was a cohesion issue today, which it looked like it was there are bigger questions to resolve than just whether the tactics were right or not.

Because we don’t press as a team, we don’t seem to have triggers and the wise midfielders are either not in position or poor at getting the ball back

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

More tactical naivety... on 21:56 - Dec 29 with 1391 viewsBlueBadger

More tactical naivety... on 21:52 - Dec 29 by Keaneish

It's been a 'cohesion issue' for months. The manager, who trains and selects the players hasn't selected a coherent side since he started in the job. There's your bigger issue, right there.

More tactical naivety... on 22:00 - Dec 29 with 1367 viewsKeaneish

More tactical naivety... on 21:56 - Dec 29 by BlueBadger

It's been a 'cohesion issue' for months. The manager, who trains and selects the players hasn't selected a coherent side since he started in the job. There's your bigger issue, right there.

I think we’re all agreed on that. He’s played a 442 for the last two games so I’m expecting the same at Wycombe.

More tactical naivety... on 22:01 - Dec 29 with 1362 viewsKeaneish

More tactical naivety... on 21:56 - Dec 29 by itfcjoe

Because we don’t press as a team, we don’t seem to have triggers and the wise midfielders are either not in position or poor at getting the ball back

As epitomized by Edwards and his pathetic attempts at tackling.

More tactical naivety... on 22:04 - Dec 29 with 1328 viewsBlueBadger

More tactical naivety... on 22:00 - Dec 29 by Keaneish

I think we’re all agreed on that. He’s played a 442 for the last two games so I’m expecting the same at Wycombe.

It's all a bit too little too late now isn't it? This whole 'basic tactics and formation' thing should have been bedded down in August, if not pre-season. Hell, there's a sound argument for saying it should have been bedded down in April, given that we were relegated then.

More tactical naivety... on 22:05 - Dec 29 with 1312 viewsBlueBadger

More tactical naivety... on 21:56 - Dec 29 by itfcjoe

Almost as if we have no laid down plan A and first Xi, so the players don't know what's expected of them, because there's no rhyme or reason to the tactics.

More tactical naivety... on 22:09 - Dec 29 with 1295 viewsPJH

More tactical naivety... on 22:01 - Dec 29 by Keaneish

Now changed his name by deed poll to Edwards-Booked.

Should have been booked in first few minutes and could have got a second booking before being subbed.
More tactical naivety... on 22:09 - Dec 29 with 1290 viewsBlueBadger

More tactical naivety... on 22:01 - Dec 29 by Keaneish

..and the fact that his manager keeps playing him.

More tactical naivety... on 22:10 - Dec 29 with 1281 viewsBlueBadger

More tactical naivety... on 22:09 - Dec 29 by PJH

Now changed his name by deed poll to Edwards-Booked.

Should have been booked in first few minutes and could have got a second booking before being subbed.

He should probably get an automatic yellow for being so rubbish.

More tactical naivety... on 22:12 - Dec 29 with 1261 viewsKeaneish

More tactical naivety... on 22:04 - Dec 29 by BlueBadger

It's all a bit too little too late now isn't it? This whole 'basic tactics and formation' thing should have been bedded down in August, if not pre-season. Hell, there's a sound argument for saying it should have been bedded down in April, given that we were relegated then.

Every team needs a plan A, B and C and they should definitely be drilled before August. I thought system wise we had a 442 and 532 and we were going to utilize those to unlock any oppo we faced.

Since then we’ve seen 4411, 442-diamond, 451 and a 433 all equally uncohesive.

Seems PL thought we had the squad to cope with anything he threw at them - seems we don’t.

More tactical naivety... on 22:14 - Dec 29 with 1252 viewsBlueBadger

More tactical naivety... on 22:12 - Dec 29 by Keaneish

Every team needs a plan A, B and C and they should definitely be drilled before August. I thought system wise we had a 442 and 532 and we were going to utilize those to unlock any oppo we faced.

Since then we’ve seen 4411, 442-diamond, 451 and a 433 all equally uncohesive.

Seems PL thought we had the squad to cope with anything he threw at them - seems we don’t.

We have a squad to cope with the division. Trouble is, we don't have a manager able to.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024