Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The interesting thing about the Cook interview was 13:28 - Jan 5 with 3769 viewsFightingEssex

How he seemed to level the blame for the radical changes to the playing squad on Ashton, which is interesting given that he’d also given Norwood the impression he wasn’t calling the shots on who was played, sold or not. I don’t think Cook is dishonest either, I think he handled that interview very respectfully, but it’s interesting to see that the radical changes may not have been exclusively his decision after all. I also understood his frustration working with the new performance structure here.

Time will tell if it is Ashton calling the shots on transfers or not that’s for sure. It was a good interview.

Poll: Next Ipswich Town manager?

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 16:06 - Jan 5 with 2997 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Did he? Wasn't my take on it.
I'll need to read it again.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 16:10 - Jan 5 with 2978 viewsRadlett_blue

This was the whole problem with Evans's decision to replace Lambert with Cook at a time when he was selling the club. So Evans's final legacy was to waste another season, plus the considerable sum in paying off Cook & his staff.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 16:13 - Jan 5 with 2962 viewsCheltenham_Blue

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 16:06 - Jan 5 by Cheltenham_Blue

Did he? Wasn't my take on it.
I'll need to read it again.

Nope, he didn't blame Ashton for changes in the playing squad at all.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 16:14 - Jan 5 with 2951 viewsgtsb1966

The club are modernising in everything they do. Football and the way a club is set up has changed whilst we have stayed old school for far to long. Unfortunately Cook is an old school manager. A likeable person but old school. Kieran McKenna has worked with world class footballers and has a much more modern approach. He has a much better chance of success here than Cook ever did imho.
The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 16:20 - Jan 5 with 2923 viewsCokeIsKey

Doesn't seem that likely given Cook first called himself the 'demolition man' on April 16th, a full month and a half before Ashton came in.

Poll: Should Lambert continue as the Ipswich Town manager?

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 16:57 - Jan 6 with 2650 viewsSharkey

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 16:20 - Jan 5 by CokeIsKey

Doesn't seem that likely given Cook first called himself the 'demolition man' on April 16th, a full month and a half before Ashton came in.

At the time I thought he actually said something along the lines of 'You people (the press) are always going to love calling me 'the demolition man'', - meaning that he did not see himself as one.

(But looking now at date you mention in the EADT, I can see you are right, and I'm wrong.)
[Post edited 6 Jan 2022 17:00]
The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 17:04 - Jan 6 with 2602 viewsSwansea_Blue

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 16:57 - Jan 6 by Sharkey

At the time I thought he actually said something along the lines of 'You people (the press) are always going to love calling me 'the demolition man'', - meaning that he did not see himself as one.

(But looking now at date you mention in the EADT, I can see you are right, and I'm wrong.)
[Post edited 6 Jan 2022 17:00]

Yeah, he was very gung ho about all the changes he'd make, going as far as saying he couldn't care less if the whole squad walked out. He was planning to rip up the squad before the new regime came in and quite a few of the arrivals are players he's worked with before. Some people are saying this is Ashton's doing and he excluded Cook, but that narrative doesn't fit the evidence.

Cook: I Will Be Like Demolition Man Over the Next Six Weeks 16th Apr 2021 09:54
Town boss Paul Cook says he’ll be like Demolition Man over the next six weeks with the changes that are coming to Ipswich Town. 113

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 17:15 - Jan 6 with 2566 viewsMattinLondon

My take is that Cook was well trained in what to say by his agent and that the interviewer was quite friendly and gave him an easy ride.

Obviously pitching for a new job - not seriously slagging off anyone, not overtly playing the ‘not my fault card’ and he came across well. Enough for some people to dismiss his record here as a blip.
Login to get fewer ads

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 18:43 - Jan 6 with 2496 viewsKeaneish

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 16:10 - Jan 5 by Radlett_blue

This was the whole problem with Evans's decision to replace Lambert with Cook at a time when he was selling the club. So Evans's final legacy was to waste another season, plus the considerable sum in paying off Cook & his staff.

It’s a really good point. It’s interesting that O’Leary has been completely absent during this whole debacle after his public endorsement of Cook. Seems like Cook was a dead man walking from day one, which reflects poorly on the way the whole takeover was managed.

Brett Johnson appears to be in the shadows a little too. Was the decision unanimous or was it a majority split? Interesting but everything feels a little tainted now.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 19:48 - Jan 6 with 2413 viewsSenatorBlue

Far too much confirmation bias for me.

As has been said further up, the whole Cook ‘situation’ I place at Evans door. Who hires a new manager literally days before a takeover goes through, and without the full coaching team confirmed.

O’Leary can’t say anything other than he did, otherwise he might as well sack Cook on day 1. The owners likewise, and their ‘distance’ is to allow the professionals they’ve hired and O’Leary to run the club. They’re connected, but we don’t want them commenting on everything that happens.

I like Cook and wanted him to succeed. I actually liked the football. But our club is now giving us the modern structure we have craved, that doesn’t need a complete reset every time a manager doesn’t succeed. Cook is an old school run the show manager, so right man at the wrong time. If we’d have had him rather than Hurst, it’s a whole different ball game.

Ashton is running the modern structure, which is still in its infancy. That McKenna has said today our illness and injuries are in good shape tells me the new Fitness dept is doing it’s job. That’s not micro managing pre season or training, but making sure the manager does not play players who are not ready, and likely to have a long term injury if pressed into action. It conditioning players to keep them fit, and so far so good. McKenna seems to have found it easy enough to get what he needs across in ‘sharper’ training, which the players are praising.

Cook is simply pitching for work. It doesn’t reflect on where we are now or there being something ‘wrong’ at the club, it is simply weighted to reflect himself in the best light. It’s also full of contradictions to what we saw and heard from him last season and over the summer.

Time will tell, but for now we are now properly on the first step for moving forwards.
The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 20:18 - Jan 6 with 2370 viewsKeaneish

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 19:48 - Jan 6 by SenatorBlue

As has been said further up, the whole Cook ‘situation’ I place at Evans door. Who hires a new manager literally days before a takeover goes through, and without the full coaching team confirmed.

O’Leary can’t say anything other than he did, otherwise he might as well sack Cook on day 1. The owners likewise, and their ‘distance’ is to allow the professionals they’ve hired and O’Leary to run the club. They’re connected, but we don’t want them commenting on everything that happens.

I like Cook and wanted him to succeed. I actually liked the football. But our club is now giving us the modern structure we have craved, that doesn’t need a complete reset every time a manager doesn’t succeed. Cook is an old school run the show manager, so right man at the wrong time. If we’d have had him rather than Hurst, it’s a whole different ball game.

Ashton is running the modern structure, which is still in its infancy. That McKenna has said today our illness and injuries are in good shape tells me the new Fitness dept is doing it’s job. That’s not micro managing pre season or training, but making sure the manager does not play players who are not ready, and likely to have a long term injury if pressed into action. It conditioning players to keep them fit, and so far so good. McKenna seems to have found it easy enough to get what he needs across in ‘sharper’ training, which the players are praising.

Cook is simply pitching for work. It doesn’t reflect on where we are now or there being something ‘wrong’ at the club, it is simply weighted to reflect himself in the best light. It’s also full of contradictions to what we saw and heard from him last season and over the summer.

Time will tell, but for now we are now properly on the first step for moving forwards.

Good post. Moving forward will be proven in time. I have major reservations about a rookie manager taking over but the squad and the foundations are great so it’s all down to him - he couldn’t wish for a better environment to cut his teeth in truth.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 20:24 - Jan 6 with 2338 viewstextbackup

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 18:43 - Jan 6 by Keaneish

It’s a really good point. It’s interesting that O’Leary has been completely absent during this whole debacle after his public endorsement of Cook. Seems like Cook was a dead man walking from day one, which reflects poorly on the way the whole takeover was managed.

Brett Johnson appears to be in the shadows a little too. Was the decision unanimous or was it a majority split? Interesting but everything feels a little tainted now.

even if it was a majority split them guys know that they wont always agree, part of being in a 3/4/5 man ownership i guess.

O'leary hasnt said much since the start, so that really isnt a worry IMO.

Cook didnt do well, the league table doesnt lie, so for me, hes gone, we move on.

nothing tainted, if anything position that they really mean business

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 20:29 - Jan 6 with 2321 viewstextbackup

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 19:48 - Jan 6 by SenatorBlue

some excellent points in there.

Cook was very much an Evans manager, someone to oversee the lot, like MM.

KMc is a young manager who will probably love the structure in place.

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 21:09 - Jan 6 with 2197 viewsBlueandTruesince82

I thought he was more hinting at not having as much input or control of transfers as he's used to.

Whilst Burns, Morsy, Walton and Evans are all certainly at his request I'm not so sure Harper, Coulson, Edwards or any of the others are but we'll never really know.

That was my perception anyway

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 21:35 - Jan 6 with 2153 viewsSenatorBlue

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 21:09 - Jan 6 by BlueandTruesince82

I thought he was more hinting at not having as much input or control of transfers as he's used to.

Whilst Burns, Morsy, Walton and Evans are all certainly at his request I'm not so sure Harper, Coulson, Edwards or any of the others are but we'll never really know.

That was my perception anyway

But then again that is also a key point of a modern football structure. The head coach/manager has an input on signings, will likely insist on certain short term key players to aid their ability to succeed e.g. Morsy, Evans, Burns, but other signings will be driven by a long and medium term strategy laid out by the club, to the recruitment dept, which in effect keeps us true and averts squad hatchet jobs like last summer ever happening. Last summer was the the culmination of old school.

Again, McKenna is saying exactly this also in todays press conference. What he and Ashton also acknowledge is that our recruitment dept is probably our least mature new dept, and in way Cook has said the same. We in effect are building this from scratch, which is insane.

Head coaches will observe and call out weakened in the team, and it’s then over to the ‘chess board’ Ashton and the recruitment dept. to sort it.

I’m actually really pleased to hear not all players are the managers picks.
The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 22:16 - Jan 6 with 2062 viewsHARRY10

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 16:10 - Jan 5 by Radlett_blue

Nope, highly unlikely

Evans had been in talks with the new owners for some months - and you are telling me that they were happy for for him to appoint another manger days before the deal was signed ?

Really ?

Why would either side be OK with that. If the new owners then wanted their own man they would have been lumbered with paying off Cook and his coaches. Evans appointing a manager so close to the deal could well have stalled things. So why risk it ?

It does not make any sense.

What does, was the new owners telling Evans it's his job to pay off Lambert and others, and then appoint their man rather than leave the job unfilled until they took over.

Cook was the new owner's man, it is as simple as that.
The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 22:33 - Jan 6 with 2016 viewsitfcjoe

Cook is talking out of both sides of his move in reality - on one hand he says the performance team were overriding him, he couldn’t get players fit like he wanted to, he couldn’t recruit how he wanted to etc - and I think they are fair complaints and fair reasons…..

……but then he also claims that had he got more time he’d have turned it round. How would he have turned any of that round?

Best case for Cook was better results so he could gain power to then try and take control etc and have to play politics which isn’t good for the club.

He was the right appointment, but when everything he changed he was the wrong man - it happens. But we are in a much better position now, everything is much more consistent across the club now - if we fail this way we will fail trying to do things how we want to - not a half arsed mixed approach

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 22:43 - Jan 6 with 1986 viewsitfcjoe

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 18:43 - Jan 6 by Keaneish

Nothing is tainted - no one will give a toss if we have any success that Cook got sacked

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 22:54 - Jan 6 with 1952 viewstractorboy1978

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 20:24 - Jan 6 by textbackup

even if it was a majority split them guys know that they wont always agree, part of being in a 3/4/5 man ownership i guess.

O'leary hasnt said much since the start, so that really isnt a worry IMO.

Cook didnt do well, the league table doesnt lie, so for me, hes gone, we move on.

nothing tainted, if anything position that they really mean business

ORG owns 90% of Gamechanger and in turn the club, so ultimately what Ed Schwartz wants, goes. I am sure it is all diplomatic and the Three Lions, Ashton, O'Leary have their say but legally speaking ORG has full control and the ultimate shareholder voting right.
The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 23:15 - Jan 6 with 1928 viewsChurchman

Cook’s interview struck me very much as ‘not me guv’. It was them, the this, the that. I don’t blame him. Getting another job after saying I made a right pigs ear of the best opportunity anyone will ever get at this level is hardly going to get prospective employers chasing him to the Dog and Duck.

He made boatloads of mistakes from the day he shipped up to the day he left. He’s only got himself to blame. Marooned in the middle of a garbage league with the opportunity he had? Do me a favour. He had to go.

Blaming others or lack of time is a bit pathetic in my view. Did he want the 1970s three years? Sorry, we are trying to get out of a Mickey Mouse tinpot division, not attempting to get in the Champions League. A sprinkling af decent games in a sea of cack sums up his time here. His problem.

For those who’ve bought into the Bristol Ashton hate, it’s interesting that Lee Johnson (top of the league with Sunderland) and Pearson (BC manager) haven’t joined in the bile chorus yet.

This post has been edited by an administrator
The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 23:38 - Jan 6 with 1865 viewsFevsBCFC

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 23:15 - Jan 6 by Churchman

Cook’s interview struck me very much as ‘not me guv’. It was them, the this, the that. I don’t blame him. Getting another job after saying I made a right pigs ear of the best opportunity anyone will ever get at this level is hardly going to get prospective employers chasing him to the Dog and Duck.

He made boatloads of mistakes from the day he shipped up to the day he left. He’s only got himself to blame. Marooned in the middle of a garbage league with the opportunity he had? Do me a favour. He had to go.

Blaming others or lack of time is a bit pathetic in my view. Did he want the 1970s three years? Sorry, we are trying to get out of a Mickey Mouse tinpot division, not attempting to get in the Champions League. A sprinkling af decent games in a sea of cack sums up his time here. His problem.

For those who’ve bought into the Bristol Ashton hate, it’s interesting that Lee Johnson (top of the league with Sunderland) and Pearson (BC manager) haven’t joined in the bile chorus yet.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Stop using the term window licker, please…it’s not funny, it’s a very derogatory term from the 1970s/80s.

I’ve asked you politely before.

Please stop showing your ignorance.
The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 09:19 - Jan 7 with 1566 viewstextbackup

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 22:54 - Jan 6 by tractorboy1978

ORG owns 90% of Gamechanger and in turn the club, so ultimately what Ed Schwartz wants, goes. I am sure it is all diplomatic and the Three Lions, Ashton, O'Leary have their say but legally speaking ORG has full control and the ultimate shareholder voting right.

As a Town fan that reads 99% of the stories the eadt or TWTD wrote, how have I never read the name Ed Schwartz, or knew he was the majority shareholder.
Thank you for that piece of info

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 09:20 - Jan 7 with 1564 viewstextbackup

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 23:38 - Jan 6 by FevsBCFC

Stop using the term window licker, please…it’s not funny, it’s a very derogatory term from the 1970s/80s.

If you didn’t hang around here you wouldn’t have seen it.

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 09:47 - Jan 7 with 1468 viewsPrideOfTheEast

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 09:19 - Jan 7 by textbackup

As a Town fan that reads 99% of the stories the eadt or TWTD wrote, how have I never read the name Ed Schwartz, or knew he was the majority shareholder.
Thank you for that piece of info

He's effectively the person responsible for the investment at the pension fund. If he wanted to he could basically do whatever he wanted as he has the key to the £/$.

In response to a few posts above - Ashton has been empowered to make decisions. He'll be very aware of the pressure to get short term results and that, together with Cook not being his/the funds man, plus the league position presumably led to Ashton saying to the others that he recommends a change. O'Leary and Ashton are pretty aligned and O'Leary seems to be at the club a lot. Johnson etc own a tiny percentage. The same percentage that Evans owns outright. They were clearly asked to reign in the social media stuff, in particular in the transfer window.
The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 09:55 - Jan 7 with 1431 viewsPhilTWTD

The interesting thing about the Cook interview was on 23:38 - Jan 6 by FevsBCFC

I agree, not an appropriate term to use on here.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024