Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How often does a new manager win their first game here? 23:05 - Jan 25 with 973 viewsCoastalblue

and provide a decent performance? Anybody think of any inspiring first games? I can only remember Lyall (lost) Royle (lost) Magic (lost)

Did Keane get a win? What about MM? Can't remember

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 23:06 - Jan 25 with 960 viewsGeorge25

Didt we win away at Birmingham with Mick
How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 23:07 - Jan 25 with 961 viewsgainsboroughblue

Keane won his first two games.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 23:07 - Jan 25 with 962 viewscatch74

Think MM won v Birmingham, gritty 1-0?
McClaren gave a good first half chat at Portman Rd. wrong side though.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 23:08 - Jan 25 with 952 viewsBlueBadger

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 23:07 - Jan 25 by gainsboroughblue

Keane won his first two games.

And then went on a Lambert esque winless run.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 23:10 - Jan 25 with 939 viewsjeera

I'm sure in one of Mick's first games we got a hiding?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 23:11 - Jan 25 with 936 viewsMrTown

MM won first game, was a shît away day but DJ Campbell got the goal.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 23:15 - Jan 25 with 924 viewsgainsboroughblue

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 23:10 - Jan 25 by jeera

We got two. 5-0 at Palace and 6-0 at Leicester.

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 23:18 - Jan 25 with 906 viewsjeera

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 23:15 - Jan 25 by gainsboroughblue

We got two. 5-0 at Palace and 6-0 at Leicester.

Oh yeah.

Still, that's gotta be better than one 11 - nil.

Login to get fewer ads

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 23:22 - Jan 25 with 893 viewspointofblue

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 23:10 - Jan 25 by jeera

Yes, won 1-0 at Birmingham, then lost 5-0 at Palace. We then beat Burnley 2-1 in his first match at Portman Road before conceding six at Leicester.

Burley lost 4-1 at Everton in his first match before winning the next two.
Royle lost 2-1 at Crystal Palace, then drew at Sheffield United before winning the next two.
Magilton only picked up one point from his first four games.
As said, Keane won his first two matches.
Jewell lost at Millwall then beat Doncaster at Portman Road.
Hurst drew at home to Blackburn and Lambert drew at home to Preston.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 23:27 - Jan 25 with 864 viewsjeera

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 23:22 - Jan 25 by pointofblue

Yes, won 1-0 at Birmingham, then lost 5-0 at Palace. We then beat Burnley 2-1 in his first match at Portman Road before conceding six at Leicester.

Royle lost 2-1 at Crystal Palace, then drew at Sheffield United before winning the next two.

Goes to show what the guy was left with and was up against.

Quite the turn around for someone some people refer to as a dull hoof-ball merchant.

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 23:29 - Jan 25 with 858 viewsgainsboroughblue

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 23:22 - Jan 25 by pointofblue

Lyall lost his first two.
Duncan drew his first two.
Ferguson drew then lost.

I'd have to cheat to mention SBR's start.

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 23:36 - Jan 25 with 837 viewsBlueBadger

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 23:27 - Jan 25 by jeera

Goes to show what the guy was left with and was up against.

Quite the turn around for someone some people refer to as a dull hoof-ball merchant.

The squad MM inherited was every bit as much a shambles as the one Lambert inherited. One manager dug in, ground it out, kept us up and pushed us to better things. The other one threw in the towel early, bought some beers, said some nice things and scored an utterly undeserved 'free hit', embarrassingly fawning banner and undeserved five year contract.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 00:25 - Jan 26 with 786 viewsjudespiveyg

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 23:36 - Jan 25 by BlueBadger

The squad MM inherited was every bit as much a shambles as the one Lambert inherited. One manager dug in, ground it out, kept us up and pushed us to better things. The other one threw in the towel early, bought some beers, said some nice things and scored an utterly undeserved 'free hit', embarrassingly fawning banner and undeserved five year contract.

Cresswell, Chambers and Smith formed a more than competent defense. Attacking options of Campbell, Murphy, Chopra and JET. Solid options in midfield in N'Daw and pre-injury Luke Hyam. Squad was talented enough but half of the squad didn't care, needed someone to turn them into a team and root out the bad characters.

McCarthy did a good job and certainly would have done a better job in the same situation as Lambert, but I think it's an overstatement to say it was just as much of a shambles he walked into. I mean, other than Bialkowski and maybe Downes, which players from the 2018 side would have got into that 2012 side. (Obviously Chambers was in both but was better at 27 than at 33).

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 00:37 - Jan 26 with 777 viewsjeera

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 00:25 - Jan 26 by judespiveyg

Cresswell, Chambers and Smith formed a more than competent defense. Attacking options of Campbell, Murphy, Chopra and JET. Solid options in midfield in N'Daw and pre-injury Luke Hyam. Squad was talented enough but half of the squad didn't care, needed someone to turn them into a team and root out the bad characters.

McCarthy did a good job and certainly would have done a better job in the same situation as Lambert, but I think it's an overstatement to say it was just as much of a shambles he walked into. I mean, other than Bialkowski and maybe Downes, which players from the 2018 side would have got into that 2012 side. (Obviously Chambers was in both but was better at 27 than at 33).

"I think it's an overstatement to say it was just as much of a shambles he walked into."

Spoken with such authority too. You were 8 years old!

Town were in all sorts.

Edit: "Ipswich Town's new manager inherits a team which began the season harbouring hopes of promotion to the Premier League but is now four points adrift at the foot of the Championship."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/nov/01/mick-mccarthy-ipswich-manager-j

[Post edited 26 Jan 2021 0:48]

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 00:49 - Jan 26 with 757 viewsIllinoisblue

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 23:29 - Jan 25 by gainsboroughblue

Lyall lost his first two.
Duncan drew his first two.
Ferguson drew then lost.

I'd have to cheat to mention SBR's start.

Lyall started at home to Sheff Weds, right? 0-2 defeat and a lot of Owls fans spilled on the pitch from North away pen claiming crowding.

Don’t recall his second game

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 00:58 - Jan 26 with 740 viewsgainsboroughblue

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 00:49 - Jan 26 by Illinoisblue

Lyall started at home to Sheff Weds, right? 0-2 defeat and a lot of Owls fans spilled on the pitch from North away pen claiming crowding.

Yep. Second one was at Swindon on the Tuesday 0-1.

We won 2-1 at WBA on the Saturday with a last minute direct from a corner by Neil Thompson.

I can remember events of 30 years ago better than 30 seconds ago.

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 01:01 - Jan 26 with 731 viewsIllinoisblue

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 00:58 - Jan 26 by gainsboroughblue

Yep. Second one was at Swindon on the Tuesday 0-1.

We won 2-1 at WBA on the Saturday with a last minute direct from a corner by Neil Thompson.

I can remember events of 30 years ago better than 30 seconds ago.

Ha! It’s amazing how some footy games and stats just stick in your mind decades later.

62 - 78 - 81

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 01:03 - Jan 26 with 728 viewsCoastalblue

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 00:49 - Jan 26 by Illinoisblue

Pretty sure it was an away loss at Swindon, if so I was there. 1-0 if memory serves me correctly though no idea of the Swindon scorer?

and yeah to Wednesday, had a decent side then, Shirtliff, Sheridan, Hirst I think.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 01:05 - Jan 26 with 726 viewsgainsboroughblue

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 01:01 - Jan 26 by Illinoisblue

Ha! It’s amazing how some footy games and stats just stick in your mind decades later.

Indeed. I also should have mentioned Humes equalised in that WBA game about two minutes before that winner. I can recall the 'You've been f****** tangoed' chant at the final whistle.

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 01:38 - Jan 26 with 688 viewsIllinoisblue

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 01:03 - Jan 26 by Coastalblue

Pretty sure it was an away loss at Swindon, if so I was there. 1-0 if memory serves me correctly though no idea of the Swindon scorer?

and yeah to Wednesday, had a decent side then, Shirtliff, Sheridan, Hirst I think.

Yeah Wednesday were good back then... didn’t they make the league cup final that season?

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/ipswich-town/1991/3/

62 - 78 - 81

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 01:45 - Jan 26 with 676 viewsgainsboroughblue

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 01:38 - Jan 26 by Illinoisblue

Yeah Wednesday were good back then... didn’t they make the league cup final that season?

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/ipswich-town/1991/3/

Thy won it. I'm amazed that not only did they get relegated the season before, but they only went up in third place at the end of that season. Best side I've seen at that level.

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 01:50 - Jan 26 with 673 viewsBlueBadger

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 00:37 - Jan 26 by jeera

"I think it's an overstatement to say it was just as much of a shambles he walked into."

Spoken with such authority too. You were 8 years old!

Town were in all sorts.

Edit: "Ipswich Town's new manager inherits a team which began the season harbouring hopes of promotion to the Premier League but is now four points adrift at the foot of the Championship."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/nov/01/mick-mccarthy-ipswich-manager-j

[Post edited 26 Jan 2021 0:48]

It was a team which couldn't score, couldn't defend, had no discernible pattern of play and was full of ageing misfits who weren't playing for the manager.

The difference then was, we had a manager who spent no time making and excuses and all of his time coaching, organising and motivating come in to sort them out.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2021 15:17]

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 02:02 - Jan 26 with 663 viewsjeera

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 01:50 - Jan 26 by BlueBadger

It was a team which couldn't score, couldn't defend, had no discernible pattern of play and was full of ageing misfits who weren't playing for the manager.

The difference then was, we had a manager who spent no time making and excuses and all of his time coaching, organising and motivating come in to sort them out.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2021 15:17]

And the decent players listed weren't the finished article at the time.

Some of the key players there were brought on under the new management.

I.e. It's all very well mentioning Cresswell, but this was the 21 y/o Cresswell, not the more cultivated version sold on a couple of years later.

Smith was on his 3rd visit to Town (?).

Hyam hadn't been favoured under Jewell and again was given confidence by McC.

A couple of the others had just joined a few weeks previously.

Jewell couldn't get a song out of them and it's bizarre for anyone to try to rewrite the situation we were facing.

We were going down.

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 02:18 - Jan 26 with 648 viewsBlueBadger

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 02:02 - Jan 26 by jeera

And the decent players listed weren't the finished article at the time.

Some of the key players there were brought on under the new management.

I.e. It's all very well mentioning Cresswell, but this was the 21 y/o Cresswell, not the more cultivated version sold on a couple of years later.

Smith was on his 3rd visit to Town (?).

Hyam hadn't been favoured under Jewell and again was given confidence by McC.

A couple of the others had just joined a few weeks previously.

Jewell couldn't get a song out of them and it's bizarre for anyone to try to rewrite the situation we were facing.

We were going down.

Worth pointing out as well, that it was a much younger Chambers who'd arrived on a free and very quickly had his confidence destroyed by Jewell and on the back of falling out with supporters of his previous club, Forest.

How often does a new manager win their first game here? on 07:35 - Jan 26 with 550 viewsRonFearonsHair

I thought Royle’s first match was the 1-0 win over Slovan Liberec?

I remember thinking what an inauspicious start it would make to lose our proud home European record as soon as he arrived.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024