Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why do we interchange fixtures with Norwich? 10:49 - Jun 13 with 2810 viewsglasso

Might be a daft question but it'd never occurred to me until I saw it on here that if we play at home, Norwich play away.... why?

Surely we don't share any police with them as they're a different county and they can't possibly do the same with all the London clubs who are much closer, so why's it different for us?
Why do we interchange fixtures with Norwich? on 10:57 - Jun 13 with 2773 viewsSitfcB

Just always been that way due to police requests.

In London certain teams are paired... Chelsea and Fulham, Tottenham and Arsenal, Millwall and West Ham. Completed procedure really. Fixture lists roughly start to be compiled months in advance if release.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Why do we interchange fixtures with Norwich? on 11:04 - Jun 13 with 2746 viewsITFC_Forever

I assume we're paired so there's less chance of trouble, especially in this day and age with Saturday lunchtime / teatime fixtures.

Pretty sure the police wouldn't want Norwich fans or their opponents stopping off on the way through Ipswich station to say hello, either to us or our opponents.
Equally, they wouldn't want this at Liverpool St either.

And there are some (or there certainly used to be back in the day), some people who live on the border that have STs for us and Norwich.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Why do we interchange fixtures with Norwich? on 11:11 - Jun 13 with 2706 viewsNo9

It has always been that way maybe a policy at the FA decided when the FA had a lot of club members meeting regularly.
Why do we interchange fixtures with Norwich? on 11:19 - Jun 13 with 2663 viewsWeWereZombies

Why do we interchange fixtures with Norwich? on 11:04 - Jun 13 by ITFC_Forever

I assume we're paired so there's less chance of trouble, especially in this day and age with Saturday lunchtime / teatime fixtures.

Pretty sure the police wouldn't want Norwich fans or their opponents stopping off on the way through Ipswich station to say hello, either to us or our opponents.
Equally, they wouldn't want this at Liverpool St either.

And there are some (or there certainly used to be back in the day), some people who live on the border that have STs for us and Norwich.

When I was 'Weeting Blue', because I lived just over the border from Brandon, I was a bit surprised to find that everyone in that Norfolk village apart from the guy who ran the shop supported Ipswich yet a mile down the road in that Suffolk town the majority of support was for Nodge. The police may be separate on county lines but the support is not.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Why do we interchange fixtures with Norwich? on 11:23 - Jun 13 with 2644 viewsHARRY10

Way back fans would go to alternate gamesm which i suspect happened in may similar clubs. Playing alternate Saturdays allowed that.

Nowadays with far more fans travelling away it ould put stress on police resources. An extreme example might be us and the budgies each playing one of West Ham and Millwall.

Would you want our fans using the line down from London to be subject to both sets of those 'idiots' on the same train ?
Why do we interchange fixtures with Norwich? on 12:35 - Jun 13 with 2501 viewsPendejo

Isn't there a chain?

Something like

Norwich - Ipswich - Colchester - Southend - Leyton Orient - West Ham - Millwall - Charlton - Crystal Palace - Chelsea - Fulham - QPR - Brentford.

Sub branch
West Ham - Tottenham - Arsenal

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Why do we interchange fixtures with Norwich? on 13:01 - Jun 13 with 2410 viewsnodge_blue

I may be wrong - but I think it does go back to when some people would watch both clubs.

I cant believe police would be an issue. On that basis clubs in london or the midlands would always have clashes.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Why do we interchange fixtures with Norwich? on 13:26 - Jun 13 with 2311 viewsxrayspecs

It is a mix of things.

British Transport police keen to minimise number of rival fans on the same trains e.g. two London clubs travelling out of Liverpool Street to Norwich/Ipswich.
Local police although this is less of an issue nowadays with fewer police at games
Clubs often ask for it. Helps them raise attendances as some fans will watch more than one team.
Login to get fewer ads

Why do we interchange fixtures with Norwich? on 13:36 - Jun 13 with 2280 viewsitfcjoe

Because Suffolk and Norfolk Police are absolute wet wipes who can't handle anything slightly out of the ordinary

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Why do we interchange fixtures with Norwich? on 13:54 - Jun 13 with 2235 viewssotd78

Because in the days when you could pay on the gate and stand on the River End terrace my dad used to take us about ten games a season . ST at Portman Road and a few games at Carrot Road.
TWTD when people were fans of football as much as fans of clubs.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Why do we interchange fixtures with Norwich? on 15:08 - Jun 13 with 2114 viewsronnyd

Why do we interchange fixtures with Norwich? on 13:54 - Jun 13 by sotd78

Because in the days when you could pay on the gate and stand on the River End terrace my dad used to take us about ten games a season . ST at Portman Road and a few games at Carrot Road.
TWTD when people were fans of football as much as fans of clubs.

The first time i took my eldest to a match was Scum v Foxes, was a freezing cold Feb day but paying on the gate and getting there early made it easy in those days. He was 6 then,(now 55). Still a town fan though even though he lives in Northamptonshire.
Why do we interchange fixtures with Norwich? on 16:38 - Jun 13 with 2022 viewspickles110564

I used to know a couple several years ago that had season tickets and both clubs, that seemed bizarre to me but they said they just loved their football.
Why do we interchange fixtures with Norwich? on 16:40 - Jun 13 with 2012 viewsitfcjoe

Why do we interchange fixtures with Norwich? on 16:38 - Jun 13 by pickles110564

I used to know a couple several years ago that had season tickets and both clubs, that seemed bizarre to me but they said they just loved their football.

I wouldn't mind a ST in the away end at Carrow Road!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Why do we interchange fixtures with Norwich? on 18:26 - Jun 13 with 1847 viewspickles110564

Why do we interchange fixtures with Norwich? on 16:40 - Jun 13 by itfcjoe

I wouldn't mind a ST in the away end at Carrow Road!

I have had to sit in their end behind the goal numerous times to get to see Ipswich.
Worst thing is when you get spotted on camera in the Narwich end and your so called friends plaster it all over FB.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024