Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
League 1 SCMP 07:05 - May 6 with 2035 viewsChocorange

We may find it harder to recruit the new players we need than we had hoped.

Mentioned in Phil’s piece on Waggy , The league 1 SCMP means we have to adhere to 60% of turnover for salary costs.
The exceptions are players who signed a contract of longer than 3 seasons before relegation or players aged 20 or under on Jan 1st 2021.

Thanks to Evans and Lambert we blew the opportunity we had as a relegated team with less restrictions.

So with this in mind , it seems unlikely Edwards will be here, he may be offered a new contract but likely to be less than the one he signed when we were in the championship , so will be on his way. Unless Cook has decided he maybe worth keeping and Gwion wants to be part of it on lower pay.

For players coming in, this is going to make it tough to sign any players currently in the championship , that any Championship club has an interest in, as we will be outbid on salary.

No restriction on transfer costs in the rules.
but as far as I can see much more likely to be league 1 players coming in.

Hopefully though Ashton knows a few loopholes from his recruitment with Bristol City , and Cook will be an asset in attracting the right players in.

League 1 SCMP on 07:12 - May 6 with 1986 viewsVic

You may be right.

My hope is that we’ll be able to attract the best any league one club can by virtue of the vision and momentum that’s gathering. The funding promised, the infrastructure being put in place show real intent and in Ashton we’ll have a CEO with decent negotiating skills. Plus we are a big club for this division. Put all these together and I really hope we’re in a better position than other clubs in this league in terms of future potential for a forward thinking player.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

League 1 SCMP on 07:23 - May 6 with 1924 viewsBluefish

We should be thankful for scmp then

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

League 1 SCMP on 07:24 - May 6 with 1936 viewsEssexBloo

My understanding is cash injections from owners seem to be included in the definition of turnover. So, if the Americans put £10m into the accounts then that’s a substantial advantage.
Given the ambition talked about and that we are recruiting staff from the league above I would be surprised if we aren’t competing with c’ship clubs for new signings.
League 1 SCMP on 07:24 - May 6 with 1928 viewsel_nino

Is there a way round this? For example offering a hefty promotion bonus? If a player buys into the project and is confident in success they may take the chance.
League 1 SCMP on 07:32 - May 6 with 1894 viewsxrayspecs

League 1 SCMP on 07:24 - May 6 by EssexBloo

My understanding is cash injections from owners seem to be included in the definition of turnover. So, if the Americans put £10m into the accounts then that’s a substantial advantage.
Given the ambition talked about and that we are recruiting staff from the league above I would be surprised if we aren’t competing with c’ship clubs for new signings.

Correct.

Investments are counted as revenue, while loans are not. So, the current owners would be able to issue additional shares and 60% of the proceeds would count towards our salary cap. When they took over, the owners indicated that they were likely to issue new shares, so I suspect that this has already been considered.

I suspect we will be in the market for out of contract and potentially low fee championship players plus younger L1/L2 players who can be expected to move up a division or two.
League 1 SCMP on 07:38 - May 6 with 1868 viewsketton_itfc

I can see Town biggest sponsorship deal ever worth 8 figures by 3 Lions inc. Ghen they kindly donate the shirt sponsorship to a charity.

Job done!
League 1 SCMP on 09:38 - May 6 with 1692 viewsElderGrizzly

There are many loopholes in this and the owners can increase 'revenue' through injections of equity (not loans) apparently.

It won't be a huge outlay, but there are certainly ways around this that weren't there while the £2.5m salary cap was in place.
League 1 SCMP on 09:42 - May 6 with 1675 viewsPinewoodblue

League 1 SCMP on 09:38 - May 6 by ElderGrizzly

There are many loopholes in this and the owners can increase 'revenue' through injections of equity (not loans) apparently.

It won't be a huge outlay, but there are certainly ways around this that weren't there while the £2.5m salary cap was in place.

Presumably, for this season, turnover will be based on the face value of season tickets, rather than the sum paid.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

League 1 SCMP on 09:43 - May 6 with 1668 viewstractorboy1978

League 1 SCMP on 09:42 - May 6 by Pinewoodblue

Presumably, for this season, turnover will be based on the face value of season tickets, rather than the sum paid.

Correct.
League 1 SCMP on 09:50 - May 6 with 1635 viewsOsborneOneNil

Handsome signing on fee may be another route.
League 1 SCMP on 10:36 - May 6 with 1533 viewsHARRY10

League 1 SCMP on 07:24 - May 6 by EssexBloo

The problem there is if it is not a loan (donation) then how do they get their money back, plus interest ?

As the moment any payment is made, that payment will be deemed a loan repayment ?
League 1 SCMP on 10:39 - May 6 with 1512 viewsbluefunk

League 1 SCMP on 10:36 - May 6 by HARRY10

The problem there is if it is not a loan (donation) then how do they get their money back, plus interest ?

As the moment any payment is made, that payment will be deemed a loan repayment ?

Dividend on profits while they own the club, until the ultimate sale for more than they paid

Other scenarios are a ailable
League 1 SCMP on 14:35 - May 6 with 1403 viewsHARRY10

League 1 SCMP on 10:39 - May 6 by bluefunk

Dividend on profits while they own the club, until the ultimate sale for more than they paid

Other scenarios are a ailable

eh ?

How on earth are we going to make enough profit to cover the supposed donations

If the owners makes a donation of £10m, and our profit for the season is £10m plus - then returning it via dividends achieves what, and would it then not incur a tax liability ?

it should be borne in mind that Gamechanger only own 87.5% of Ipswich Town - and those putting up the money (ORG) only own 90% of that company.

So any dividends paid would have to be paid to the other 22.75% shareholders as well - and what kind of percentage return on that £10m would OMG be expecting ?
League 1 SCMP on 14:39 - May 6 with 1362 viewsxrayspecs

League 1 SCMP on 09:50 - May 6 by OsborneOneNil

Handsome signing on fee may be another route.

All monies that are paid to a player - salaries, signing on fees, bonuses, image rights, benefits in kind all count.
League 1 SCMP on 14:41 - May 6 with 1347 viewstractorboy1978

League 1 SCMP on 14:35 - May 6 by HARRY10

eh ?

How on earth are we going to make enough profit to cover the supposed donations

If the owners makes a donation of £10m, and our profit for the season is £10m plus - then returning it via dividends achieves what, and would it then not incur a tax liability ?

it should be borne in mind that Gamechanger only own 87.5% of Ipswich Town - and those putting up the money (ORG) only own 90% of that company.

So any dividends paid would have to be paid to the other 22.75% shareholders as well - and what kind of percentage return on that £10m would OMG be expecting ?

They aren't going to be pulling money out of the club/seeing any return until they sell it is the short answer.
League 1 SCMP on 14:41 - May 6 with 1347 viewsxrayspecs

League 1 SCMP on 10:36 - May 6 by HARRY10

Their aim will be to sell the club for more than they have paid to date and any additional monies they invest each season while owners.
League 1 SCMP on 15:03 - May 6 with 1279 viewsHARRY10

League 1 SCMP on 14:41 - May 6 by tractorboy1978

They aren't going to be pulling money out of the club/seeing any return until they sell it is the short answer.

whereas Bluefunk has

"Dividend on profits while they own the club"
League 1 SCMP on 15:12 - May 6 with 1251 viewsTieDyedIn95

I was thinking the same thing. We'll be up against 3 teams fresh from the Championship without restrictions too. People think that this is going to be an overnight fix sadly, this is what comes from the over excitement of so much change in a short period but it's going to take us a while to get out of this division and put things right.

The money to spend might not be as restricted as when Evans ran the show but there are still regulations we need to comply with which won't let us buy a whole new team of Championship players in the summer and walk the league, which having looked at our Facebook groups seems to be what most are thinking is going to happen. When we get that 27 year old winger from Stenhousemuir with 3 goals in 80 games instead of exciting Championship players people are going to start to whinge. I think it'd be helpful for the owners to explain some of the restrictions to help fans understand that they can't just blow a ton of money on this right away.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

League 1 SCMP on 15:17 - May 6 with 1238 viewsxrayspecs

League 1 SCMP on 15:03 - May 6 by HARRY10

whereas Bluefunk has

"Dividend on profits while they own the club"

Bkuefunk is not wrong. It is possible for them to recoup some of their investment as dividends if we were to make a profit in any given season, say we sold one of our players for big bucks. You are right that dividends would also be paid to other share holders so not the most efficient way for them to get their money back.

Much more likely they will seek to sell for more than they have spent and plan to invest each season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024