Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team 22:24 - Nov 13 with 3456 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Maybe I just don't know enough about football or have got it completely wrong.

I just cannot see what Lee Evans is offering us in that midfield. Morsy is the one who wants to play deep and get the ball off the back 4, Evans to my eye seems to be occupying exactly the same space, trying to do exactly the same job, but nowhere near as well.

Scott Fraser or Tom Carroll or Idris in that position please.

Be interesting to hear other peoples thoughts.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 10:36 - Nov 14 with 410 viewsWickets

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 00:18 - Nov 14 by Garv

He wasn't very good today, but if you watch it back you'll probably see he was never likely to shine. The Fleetwood game we won in the last minute he was a major part of.

He did a few dodgy things today. Wouldn't be upset if Carroll was in there, but he isn't fit sadly. Also unconvinced Fraser could do it.

Apart from the hat trick the Fleetwood winning goal owed a lot to Evans insistence to Donacian to make the forward run and cross for the winning goal but the jury is out a little bit for me as he does seem to flit in and out of games a bit !
Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 11:31 - Nov 14 with 385 viewsbilllm

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 23:11 - Nov 13 by Illinoisblue

Mostly agree with that. If Morsy is to sit deep, break up play, recycle the ball, then Evans has to be a creative spark. He doesn’t do that enough.

Agree on that, I know it was only Colchester, but I thought it was one of Fraser's better games, his drive and distribution was mostly good, last 15 he looked tired,for me Evans ATM is the nearly man, nearly everything he tries comes off,he's close but we have other players who need a chance and really push, not just start him because him and morsy use to play well together,
Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 12:06 - Nov 14 with 368 viewsBasuco

Edit. My MOM. Yesterday Lee Evans played the deep defensive midfielder role and Morsy defended on the halfway line, this broke up Oxfords creative midfield, I didn't notice when this happened but it was the major part of why Oxford were so ineffective against us second half but were all over us for the first 20 - 30 minutes. He was vital yesterday.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 12:24]
Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 12:15 - Nov 14 with 344 viewsblueislander

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 22:59 - Nov 13 by TRUE_BLUE123

I just dont think I have seen enough from Evans apart form the sideways pass or a fancy cross field.

He reminds me a lot of Kevin Bru, tidy player but forgettable and loves a Hollywood ball.

Maybe we need someone like Fraser who will try something a bit more daring.

That is odd. You criticize Evans for playing “Hollywood ball” , but want someone to do something more daring
Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 15:22 - Nov 14 with 300 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 08:34 - Nov 14 by Guthrum

Moreover, having two "sitters" gives extra protection to our defence, which has been notably more secure since we started doing that.

League games -
Morsy & Evans did not start together: P9 W1 D5 L3 GA18 (2 gpg)
Morsy & Evans did start together: P8 W5 D1 L2 GA7 (0.875 gpg)

All this without really damaging our ability to create goalscoring opportunities (yesterday was unfortunate with a couple of saves, hitting the post and a bit of uncharacteristic inaccuracy). Average goals per game scored by us with Morsy and Evans starting is 2.5, as opposed to 1.56 without.

Fair enough.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 15:24 - Nov 14 with 298 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 10:01 - Nov 14 by Simonds92

Disagree with this and a lot of subsequent posts. Im not sure what some people have been watching so far this season but he's a sitting midfielder who should position himself to recieve the ball and give an out ball. He has the ability to then spray passes, whereas Morsy seems to be able to drive at players but only pass the ball 10 yards. They compliment eachother well, but crucially he's not in the team as a box to box player. If he was we'd concede even more goals. The front 4 and the fullbacks have full license to get forward, do people genuinely expect us to just leave 2 cbs and 1 holder? Comments on the lack of creativity seem pretty ridiculous when we're the league's top scorers. Sometimes it doesnt quite happen like yesterday but there was every chance we could have won that game, i don't understand people desperate to wait for a bad result to get stuck in to someone. Fair enough if it was the start of the season when we looked so open but our form over the past 5-10 games is good and he's been a key part of that.

"i don't understand people desperate to wait for a bad result to get stuck in to someone"

Absolutely not what I am doing, I actually thought we were good yesterday, this isn't a reactionary post at all, I haven't been convinced by Lee Evans all season, was just offering up my opinion.

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 15:27 - Nov 14 with 290 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 12:15 - Nov 14 by blueislander

That is odd. You criticize Evans for playing “Hollywood ball” , but want someone to do something more daring

Fair point, I think I mean more variety in his passing. It just seems very predictable in my opinion.

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 16:06 - Nov 14 with 272 viewsAlanG296

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 15:27 - Nov 14 by TRUE_BLUE123

Fair point, I think I mean more variety in his passing. It just seems very predictable in my opinion.

If playing the simple ball is passing back to Toto or Edmondson, to hoof forward then Evans is your man.
Login to get fewer ads

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 16:20 - Nov 14 with 261 viewsDavoIPB

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 05:39 - Nov 14 by ArnieM

I suppose in order to answer the OP, it might be useful to identify what exactly , is Evans role in the side? I’m not sure I know ….

He plays a similar role to Morsy. That s the system we play. Two holding midfielders. He works really well alongside Morsy. If he wasn't there it would be too much for Morsy to handle and our midfield would be completely swamped. Our other options in that position are not strong enough. Their manager today commented that it was Evans and Morsy who controlled the game in the second half.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024