Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stop the world I want to get off 08:51 - Jul 4 with 86978 viewsGlasgowBlue

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40480386

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Stop the world I want to get off on 13:14 - Jul 7 with 3318 viewsDolly2.0

Stop the world I want to get off on 13:08 - Jul 7 by Bluebell

Long division is all part of the maths curriculum. You learn it at primary school along with algebra which you probably also haven't used in 'real' life. Why should you want to know what 'a' and 'b' divided by 'x' comes to? It is part what you learn along with English, History, Geography, Languages and Science. Whether you want to learn it or not it is all part of going to school.

If they stopped long division, there are people out there who do need to use it. When you have children or grandchildren they will ask you to help with their homework. I know only too well how much my good education helped when that happened!

Dolly.... I love your posts usually and you have a great sense of humour but when you get a bee in your bonnet about something you sometimes go on and on and on about it.

This is an internet forum and life out there is so much different. I agree that schools need to tackle mental isssues along with sexual ones but not at the expense of other subjects.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2017 13:12]

Where have I said STOP long division? Why can't people read what I'm actually posting?

A bee in my bonnet? If I don't answer I'm accused of swerving. If I do I have a bee in my bonnet! What am I supposed to do?!?

Thanks, BTW, I DO* have a great sense of humour.

* This "do" is in capitals for emphasis. I'm not shouting "do" at you!

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Stop the world I want to get off on 13:17 - Jul 7 with 3309 viewsDolly2.0

Stop the world I want to get off on 13:11 - Jul 7 by chicoazul

No no you dont understand, Dolly doesn't use long division (despite the fact his entire lifestyle relies upon the work of cleverer people who do) so it should be downgraded as a subject at the expense of mental health education. His is the only true experience.

Once again you're straw manning.

I've said I don't need to know how to do it. I appreciate lots of stuff I use relies on it.

We've been through this.

Stop the world I want to get off on 13:20 - Jul 7 with 3299 viewsDolly2.0

Stop the world I want to get off on 13:13 - Jul 7 by tcblue

Stokie, did you get taught how to use a spinning Jenny when you were at school?

Long division is an anachronism. I was taught it and have used it zero times in my job (tech finance). There's an argument for problem solving to be taught in schools (which it is), but real world problem solving in long division's case involves using the ubiquitous calculator function that every single young person has on them.

Quite.

i didn't even think I was being that controversial by saying we should learn more of what we need to know in our lives.

But there you go. The joys of TWTD.

Stop the world I want to get off on 13:22 - Jul 7 with 3294 viewsBluebell

The sun is shining, it's Saturday tomorrow and football starts in less than a month.

Enjoy the afternoon guys.

Stop the world I want to get off on 13:25 - Jul 7 with 3289 viewsNewcyBlue

Stop the world I want to get off on 13:08 - Jul 7 by Bluebell

Long division is all part of the maths curriculum. You learn it at primary school along with algebra which you probably also haven't used in 'real' life. Why should you want to know what 'a' and 'b' divided by 'x' comes to? It is part what you learn along with English, History, Geography, Languages and Science. Whether you want to learn it or not it is all part of going to school.

If they stopped long division, there are people out there who do need to use it. When you have children or grandchildren they will ask you to help with their homework. I know only too well how much my good education helped when that happened!

Dolly.... I love your posts usually and you have a great sense of humour but when you get a bee in your bonnet about something you sometimes go on and on and on about it.

This is an internet forum and life out there is so much different. I agree that schools need to tackle mental isssues along with sexual ones but not at the expense of other subjects.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2017 13:12]

I was never the greatest academic at school. I really wish I had paid more attention now.

Napier's Rules are currently messing me up. Spherical Trig.

Earlier I had been doing Stability. Specifically Change of Trim with a Change of Density.

I had to be able to get load 1487-x at one lcg (distance)
And load x at another lcg.

I needed to know how much to load in each position so as to give a desired draught.

The answer required changing of formula.

It is my everyday at the moment.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Stop the world I want to get off on 13:36 - Jul 7 with 3262 viewsDolly2.0

Stop the world I want to get off on 13:25 - Jul 7 by NewcyBlue

I was never the greatest academic at school. I really wish I had paid more attention now.

Earlier I had been doing Stability. Specifically Change of Trim with a Change of Density.

I needed to know how much to load in each position so as to give a desired draught.

You were never the greatest academic at school, and yet you've learnt all this stuff somewhere. Most of what you've posted there is gibberish to me. You don't seem to have been held back.

You've added more weight to my argument, cheers!

Stop the world I want to get off on 13:41 - Jul 7 with 3252 viewsNewcyBlue

Stop the world I want to get off on 13:36 - Jul 7 by Dolly2.0

You were never the greatest academic at school, and yet you've learnt all this stuff somewhere. Most of what you've posted there is gibberish to me. You don't seem to have been held back.

I have only really learnt over the last 10 years.

I reckon if I had applied myself better at school this would have been a lot easier for me.

Currently I am studying this stuff for 12 hours a day, and I reckon I will still struggle.

I didn't see the benefit of it all when I was younger. Now I do and wish I had paid more attention.

It's all pretty gibberish to be honest, we have computers for loading and discharging ships. They aren't connected to networks or internet. It would take something spectacular for them to fail, and then we have back up laptops and computers. I will more than likely never use these calculations again.

Stop the world I want to get off on 13:44 - Jul 7 with 3245 viewschicoazul

Stop the world I want to get off on 13:36 - Jul 7 by Dolly2.0

You're hilarious.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Stop the world I want to get off on 13:54 - Jul 7 with 3227 viewsSwansea_Blue

Stop the world I want to get off on 13:41 - Jul 7 by NewcyBlue

I reckon if I had applied myself better at school this would have been a lot easier for me.

Currently I am studying this stuff for 12 hours a day, and I reckon I will still struggle.

I didn't see the benefit of it all when I was younger. Now I do and wish I had paid more attention.

It's all pretty gibberish to be honest, we have computers for loading and discharging ships. They aren't connected to networks or internet. It would take something spectacular for them to fail, and then we have back up laptops and computers. I will more than likely never use these calculations again.

How's the self imposed break from here going?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Stop the world I want to get off on 14:13 - Jul 7 with 3210 viewsNewcyBlue

Stop the world I want to get off on 13:54 - Jul 7 by Swansea_Blue

How's the self imposed break from here going?

Heh. Not been on as much as usual.

Certainly distracts me from studying. Probably a reflection of my pessimism of how I will do in these exams.

Got the boy this afternoon through to tomorrow evening so no studying will get done now until Sunday.

Stop the world I want to get off on 14:15 - Jul 7 with 3207 viewsDolly2.0

Stop the world I want to get off on 13:41 - Jul 7 by NewcyBlue

Nothing wrong with later learning; commendable in fact.

I didn't learn anything at all about advertising at school, even that it could be a career, but here I am writing ads on the telly, on posters - every shop you go in there are words I've written.

i think industries where you need to know long division wouldn't grind to a halt for the same reason.

Your last para says it all - computers do most of it for you.

You're in command of some people too aren't you? I reckon you're doing alright.

Stop the world I want to get off on 14:16 - Jul 7 with 3200 viewsDolly2.0

Stop the world I want to get off on 13:44 - Jul 7 by chicoazul

You're hilarious.

I know.

Stop the world I want to get off on 14:40 - Jul 7 with 3172 viewsNewcyBlue

Stop the world I want to get off on 14:15 - Jul 7 by Dolly2.0

Nothing wrong with later learning; commendable in fact.

I didn't learn anything at all about advertising at school, even that it could be a career, but here I am writing ads on the telly, on posters - every shop you go in there are words I've written.

i think industries where you need to know long division wouldn't grind to a halt for the same reason.

Your last para says it all - computers do most of it for you.

You're in command of some people too aren't you? I reckon you're doing alright.

I agree, later learning can be more useful. You generally have more maturity and have decided to learn something for a specific career or reason. You therefore are far more engaged and motivated.

I do have command on board, but not overall command. If I pass these writtens I can do 2 oral exams and have my Master Mariners licence. I could potentially have that this time next year and be Captain.

I must admit to getting a bit grumpy at the moment due to the pressure (which is my own fault and MrsNewcy says if I need to redo the written exams in December it is no problem as I can more than afford it money wise).

Stop the world I want to get off on 21:16 - Jul 7 with 3119 viewsRyorry

Stop the world I want to get off on 13:25 - Jul 7 by NewcyBlue

I thought Spherical Trig must be Roy Keane's overfed pooch, till I read the rest of your post - now I know I need lessons in Double Dutch too! ;)

I agree with you, the science is that people absorb things more easily when brains are young and growing, albeit kids don't always have the attention span and desire to learn that adults do. And some brains are more left-sided than right, or v.v - I always found maths v. difficult and English v. easy, probably cos I read a lot as a kid. But if you have the basics and have understood the 'language' of maths at an early age too, you're more likely to be able to get your head round it later on, as it's already at least semi-familiar to you.

Much depends on the teachers too - I had pretty poor ones I think; if I said I didn't understand something at 8 or 10 or 12, teachers would just sigh and move on to the next thing without ever bothering to explain properly, so of course I fell further and further behind.

Didn't realise you were in TWTD exile! Have also little been on here lately, wretched back & manically busy/stressful past 2 weeks. Good luck with the exams, hope you sail through!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Stop the world I want to get off on 21:42 - Jul 7 with 3086 viewsDolly2.0

Stop the world I want to get off on 21:16 - Jul 7 by Ryorry

I thought Spherical Trig must be Roy Keane's overfed pooch, till I read the rest of your post - now I know I need lessons in Double Dutch too! ;)

I agree with you, the science is that people absorb things more easily when brains are young and growing, albeit kids don't always have the attention span and desire to learn that adults do. And some brains are more left-sided than right, or v.v - I always found maths v. difficult and English v. easy, probably cos I read a lot as a kid. But if you have the basics and have understood the 'language' of maths at an early age too, you're more likely to be able to get your head round it later on, as it's already at least semi-familiar to you.

Much depends on the teachers too - I had pretty poor ones I think; if I said I didn't understand something at 8 or 10 or 12, teachers would just sigh and move on to the next thing without ever bothering to explain properly, so of course I fell further and further behind.

Didn't realise you were in TWTD exile! Have also little been on here lately, wretched back & manically busy/stressful past 2 weeks. Good luck with the exams, hope you sail through!

"I thought Spherical Trig must be Roy Keane's overfed pooch"

Haha!

Hope your back improves.

I agree about teachers. I was terrible at Geography and dropped it at the first possible opportunity because the teacher was so bad (and didn't like me).

On the other hand I've always had very good English teachers. One of them encouraged me to do poetry - I wrote a poem that she gave 7 'team points' for, when the maximum was 5! She also gave me a bookmark when I left for senior school and wrote on it "keep up the poetry, and let me read it!" I now perform poetry - once at an event in front of 300 people in Shoreditch. She's probably dead now, we're talking nearly 35 years ago, but it would've been great if she'd seen that.

Stop the world I want to get off on 00:31 - Jul 8 with 3057 viewsRyorry

Stop the world I want to get off on 21:42 - Jul 7 by Dolly2.0

"I thought Spherical Trig must be Roy Keane's overfed pooch"

Haha!

Hope your back improves.

I agree about teachers. I was terrible at Geography and dropped it at the first possible opportunity because the teacher was so bad (and didn't like me).

On the other hand I've always had very good English teachers. One of them encouraged me to do poetry - I wrote a poem that she gave 7 'team points' for, when the maximum was 5! She also gave me a bookmark when I left for senior school and wrote on it "keep up the poetry, and let me read it!" I now perform poetry - once at an event in front of 300 people in Shoreditch. She's probably dead now, we're talking nearly 35 years ago, but it would've been great if she'd seen that.

Thanks for your good wishes Dolly, appreciated.

Heard discussion on R5l, Thurs night follow up to QT (I think) question on tuition fees. In Finland, only hons graduates with 1st class degrees are allowed to become teachers, and they're paid a starting salary of £50K minimum, it's considered that important a job, quite rightly so imho. Can you imagine that ever happening in the UK?! Only in dreams! Mind you, they do pay a heck of a lot more income tax apparently.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Stop the world I want to get off on 00:34 - Jul 8 with 3052 viewsDolly2.0

Stop the world I want to get off on 00:31 - Jul 8 by Ryorry

Thanks for your good wishes Dolly, appreciated.

Heard discussion on R5l, Thurs night follow up to QT (I think) question on tuition fees. In Finland, only hons graduates with 1st class degrees are allowed to become teachers, and they're paid a starting salary of £50K minimum, it's considered that important a job, quite rightly so imho. Can you imagine that ever happening in the UK?! Only in dreams! Mind you, they do pay a heck of a lot more income tax apparently.

The good ones are well worth that.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024