Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change 11:33 - Aug 31 with 4525 viewspointofblue

https://news.sky.com/story/conservative-mp-david-davies-accuses-the-1975-of-hypo

As much as the Twitterati are predictably up in arms about it doesn’t he have a point?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 11:35 - Aug 31 with 3703 viewssolemio

Are The 1975 a 'popular music combo'?
MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 11:42 - Aug 31 with 3678 viewspointofblue

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 11:35 - Aug 31 by solemio

Are The 1975 a 'popular music combo'?

Well... I do like some of their music, I guess!

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 11:49 - Aug 31 with 3658 viewsfooters

Oh, no surprise to see it's David TC Davis, one of the biggest cockwombles going.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 11:54 - Aug 31 with 3652 viewsClapham_Junction

He does have a point, but he's made it in a way that perfectly illustates the appalling standard of parliamentarian that we have in office. I'm not sure he could come across of more of a pr1ck if he'd made a concerted effort.

Sadly it has been written to please the type of feckwits that the Tories are now reliant upon to stay in office.
MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:01 - Aug 31 with 3625 viewspointofblue

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 11:54 - Aug 31 by Clapham_Junction

He does have a point, but he's made it in a way that perfectly illustates the appalling standard of parliamentarian that we have in office. I'm not sure he could come across of more of a pr1ck if he'd made a concerted effort.

Sadly it has been written to please the type of feckwits that the Tories are now reliant upon to stay in office.

I agree he could have phrased it better but it is interesting how the hypocrisy is being ignored by many - Emma Thompson flying back to join a protest then departing again, Greta Thunberg’s crewmates using air travel to retrieve the boat, pop stars protesting against climate change then announcing a world tour... the only one’s who seem to be receiving a backlash are the Sussexes.

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:02 - Aug 31 with 3624 viewsBobbychase

One of my favourite bands of the past few years but he has a point and what he didn't mention is that they are fond of accusing others of homophobia but played Dubai recently, so happy to take the money from the oil states. And they're not the only ones.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:06 - Aug 31 with 3607 viewsbrogansnose

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:02 - Aug 31 by Bobbychase

One of my favourite bands of the past few years but he has a point and what he didn't mention is that they are fond of accusing others of homophobia but played Dubai recently, so happy to take the money from the oil states. And they're not the only ones.

TBF to them, the singer bloke did kiss another man in public which apparently is extremely verbotten in Dubai to make a political point and which also probably could have got him knicked.
MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:07 - Aug 31 with 3602 viewsBobbychase

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:06 - Aug 31 by brogansnose

TBF to them, the singer bloke did kiss another man in public which apparently is extremely verbotten in Dubai to make a political point and which also probably could have got him knicked.

Offset by the extremely large amount of money any band gets paid to play in the Emirates. Like other artists who this year got paid by Pride Festivals and the oil sheiks.

Apartheid was defeated by boycotts, not gestures

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Login to get fewer ads

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:13 - Aug 31 with 3580 viewsDevereuxxx

Perhaps, instead of having a go at a music ensemble for some weird point-scoring intention, he should be sending letters to the 100 companies who produce 71% of greenhouse emissions, to inquire as to what measures they are implementing to reduce emissions?
[Post edited 31 Aug 2019 12:14]
MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:14 - Aug 31 with 3568 viewspointofblue

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:07 - Aug 31 by Bobbychase

Offset by the extremely large amount of money any band gets paid to play in the Emirates. Like other artists who this year got paid by Pride Festivals and the oil sheiks.

Apartheid was defeated by boycotts, not gestures

Same as climate change - it’ll slow if people decrease the amount they fly, rather than protesting about it then getting on a plane anyway.

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:15 - Aug 31 with 3561 viewsm14_blue

No idea who the 1975 are but that letter makes the MP sound like an absolute bellend.

Who on earth is voting for these people?
MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:18 - Aug 31 with 3554 viewspointofblue

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:15 - Aug 31 by m14_blue

No idea who the 1975 are but that letter makes the MP sound like an absolute bellend.

Who on earth is voting for these people?

The people of Monmouth in South Wales. Whilst I admit the letter is pathetically childish the overall point is a fair one IMO.

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:19 - Aug 31 with 3548 viewsGlasgowBlue

He’s right. But he’s the wrong person to say it as he’s a complete cunit

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:36 - Aug 31 with 3525 viewsm14_blue

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:18 - Aug 31 by pointofblue

The people of Monmouth in South Wales. Whilst I admit the letter is pathetically childish the overall point is a fair one IMO.

It certainly has a grain of truth to it but I do question the motives of all these people so desperate to shoot the messenger whenever climate change is raised.

Regardless, it sounds like a pisshead ranting in the pub trying to show everyone how funny they are, this is an actual MP ffs!
MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:38 - Aug 31 with 3522 viewspointofblue

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:36 - Aug 31 by m14_blue

It certainly has a grain of truth to it but I do question the motives of all these people so desperate to shoot the messenger whenever climate change is raised.

Regardless, it sounds like a pisshead ranting in the pub trying to show everyone how funny they are, this is an actual MP ffs!

I don’t think it’s as much shoot the messenger as “if it’s so important why aren’t you helping to prevent it?” Same with Emma Thompson and whoever organised Greta Thunberg’s Atlantic trip.

Agree on your second point.

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:41 - Aug 31 with 3512 viewsm14_blue

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:38 - Aug 31 by pointofblue

I don’t think it’s as much shoot the messenger as “if it’s so important why aren’t you helping to prevent it?” Same with Emma Thompson and whoever organised Greta Thunberg’s Atlantic trip.

Agree on your second point.

I understand the hypocrisy but it seems to me that it’s a certain type of person who consistently point it out, I think usually to undermine the message rather than reinforce it.
MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:43 - Aug 31 with 3509 viewspointofblue

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:41 - Aug 31 by m14_blue

I understand the hypocrisy but it seems to me that it’s a certain type of person who consistently point it out, I think usually to undermine the message rather than reinforce it.

Possibly but if those who passionately believe in climate change can’t alter their forms of transport which are ultimate pollutants, what hope is there of anyone else doing so?

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:46 - Aug 31 with 3501 viewsm14_blue

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:43 - Aug 31 by pointofblue

Possibly but if those who passionately believe in climate change can’t alter their forms of transport which are ultimate pollutants, what hope is there of anyone else doing so?

I agree, at least in the case of a rock band.

Greta Thunberg is completely different.
MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:48 - Aug 31 with 3497 viewspointofblue

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:46 - Aug 31 by m14_blue

I agree, at least in the case of a rock band.

Greta Thunberg is completely different.

Yes, though the agreement for the crew mates to fly back from New York is a massive own goal and, again, damaged the overall message.

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:50 - Aug 31 with 3499 viewsJ2BLUE

I heard that Greta used paper to write her essay and that paper came FROM A TREE.

All credibility lost

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:57 - Aug 31 with 3479 viewsm14_blue

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:48 - Aug 31 by pointofblue

Yes, though the agreement for the crew mates to fly back from New York is a massive own goal and, again, damaged the overall message.

If you think that damages the message then you haven’t understood the message.

She is trying to generate political momentum across the globe to tackle climate change, which is the only way it can possibly be effective.

How her crew flew home is utterly, utterly irrelevant. Unless you’re looking really hard for a way to discredit her with the sole intention of undermining her message.
MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 13:13 - Aug 31 with 3454 viewspointofblue

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:57 - Aug 31 by m14_blue

She is trying to generate political momentum across the globe to tackle climate change, which is the only way it can possibly be effective.

How her crew flew home is utterly, utterly irrelevant. Unless you’re looking really hard for a way to discredit her with the sole intention of undermining her message.

It damages the message because it creates a “Do what I say, not what I do” aura surrounding the journey through no fault of her own. As you say there enough opponents of climate change who will look to use anything to create a smokescreen and the use of flights etc. is not helping in that regard.

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 13:24 - Aug 31 with 3429 viewsBarneycurley

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:50 - Aug 31 by J2BLUE

I heard that Greta used paper to write her essay and that paper came FROM A TREE.

All credibility lost

And she used a lead pencil - yet another drain on poor mother earth

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 13:28 - Aug 31 with 3416 viewsmanchego

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:48 - Aug 31 by pointofblue

No it doesn't.
Please link to where anyone said 'I can fly by plane and no one else can because eco / trees / blah / climate / more blah ...'
MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 13:29 - Aug 31 with 3416 viewsJ2BLUE

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:57 - Aug 31 by m14_blue

Disagree. I think suggesting people can't consider the source of the message is really odd.

There seems to be plenty of people quite happy to preach one thing and then do another. It seems to be more important to be seen to be caring rather than actually doing something. Not directing that at Greta, but it applies to plenty of others. Just yesterday a poster on here said we need to be doing everything we can and then a bit more. I asked what he did and it turns out he doesn't do much by the sounds of it.

It's not people looking for a way to ignore the problem IMO. It's just naturally quite irritating to be preached to by people who aren't taking the actions they suggest you do.

What would be better than people deciding they need to be the voice of tackling climate change is to hear some actual examples of how cutting out meat three days a week (etc) would help. How it would help to cut out 500 miles driving a year etc. Rather than being preached at by a band i've never heard of who are about to fly all around the world.

I know I will get replies about the message, not the messenger but surely you can see that preaching from the wrong people doesn't help. The woman who flew in from LA for the protests and then spent the week mouthing off about climate change springs to mind.

Lead with actions, not words.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024