Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... 18:42 - Sep 11 with 4849 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

.....horrible f@cking thing!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 05:08 - Sep 12 with 1515 viewsRyorry

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 23:25 - Sep 11 by StokieBlue

In what way is it horrible?

It's a marvel of science that you should stand, watch and appreciate.

SB

Humankind's incessant search for ever more sophisticated killing machines (even if the intention is defence & to save lives overall) is pretty horrible tbf - even the inventors themselves of the atomic bomb regretted what they'd invented. And downvoting someone for having an instinct against a killing machine - really?

Would be better if human ingenuity were put to more positive use such as all pulling together to come up with "marvels of science" to combat our biggest threat, climate change.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 06:29 - Sep 12 with 1468 viewsStokieBlue

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 05:08 - Sep 12 by Ryorry

Humankind's incessant search for ever more sophisticated killing machines (even if the intention is defence & to save lives overall) is pretty horrible tbf - even the inventors themselves of the atomic bomb regretted what they'd invented. And downvoting someone for having an instinct against a killing machine - really?

Would be better if human ingenuity were put to more positive use such as all pulling together to come up with "marvels of science" to combat our biggest threat, climate change.

I didn't down vote him for that, the initial post didn't describe his reasons (it implies asthetics). As a pure piece of science its an incredible achievement.

I agree on climate change and if course plenty of research is being done. You are aware the B2 was designed 40-50 years ago so it's not really equatible to your suggestion?

Spin-offs from ours design will have no doubt me their way into other things like more efficient engines. Your main point on research is a good one and historically military means has got the majority of development budgets but I think things are changing with private companies like SpaceX taking research out of government hands.

SB
[Post edited 12 Sep 2019 7:10]

Avatar - IC484 - Horsehead and Flame Nebulae

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 06:49 - Sep 12 with 1459 viewsStokieBlue

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 05:08 - Sep 12 by Ryorry

Your point on the atomic bomb and Oppenheimers reaction to the first explosion of his device is an interesting one.

Whilst nuclear weapons are obviously awful the creation of them lead to the development of nuclear power generation which has prevented huge amounts of greenhouse emissions over the last 70 years and still be part of any future low emissions solutions.

The dropping of the bombs by the US was awful but it's also possible to make a good case that an invasion of Japan would have resulted in far more loss of life. Furthermore without the thread of MAD from nuclear weapons it's highly likely that the US and Russia would have gone to war at some point in the cold war which would have obviously been catastrophic.

So you are of course right, they are awful and it's no surprise Oppenheimer was shocked and regretful but overall it's not quite as black as white as you might think.

SB

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 07:10 - Sep 12 with 1433 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 23:47 - Sep 11 by StokieBlue

It's history - something I thought you would like.

Happy to discuss it rationally if you like! Maybe not tonight though.

SB

If only those creative energies not to mention resources had been directed elsewhere....
....I did appreciate the design element of its waker thin profile though while still in the relative near distance.

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 07:11 - Sep 12 with 1430 viewsStokieBlue

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 07:10 - Sep 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

If only those creative energies not to mention resources had been directed elsewhere....
....I did appreciate the design element of its waker thin profile though while still in the relative near distance.

That is a fair point of course. Unfortunately history has determined that research was usually military first. I think that's changing though.

SB

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 07:15 - Sep 12 with 1424 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 07:11 - Sep 12 by StokieBlue

That is a fair point of course. Unfortunately history has determined that research was usually military first. I think that's changing though.

SB

Morning Stokie.....there has been some editing and input over night I see.....I think you misinterpreted the op.....even I appreciated the aesthetics for a moment!

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 07:24 - Sep 12 with 1415 viewsChurchman

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 19:36 - Sep 11 by Guthrum

Sinister only in the same sense as all military aircraft - being for the purpose of killing.

Wanted to be an aeronautical engineer in my teens, but flunked A-level Maths.

With the exception of the Supermarine Spitfire. One of the most beautiful aircraft ever made.
B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 08:30 - Sep 12 with 1389 viewsAlan_Handsome

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 19:53 - Sep 11 by BanksterDebtSlave

I think the Americans and Russians now have nuclear capable missiles that can outrun any missile trying to shoot them down......sinister!

Wouldn't the bomb be coming towards us though...

You can't polish a turd....but you can sprinkle it with glitter!

Login to get fewer ads

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 08:35 - Sep 12 with 1384 viewsGuthrum

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 07:24 - Sep 12 by Churchman

With the exception of the Supermarine Spitfire. One of the most beautiful aircraft ever made.

The old engineering maxim that beauty and efficiency go together.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

(No subject) (n/t) on 08:53 - Sep 12 with 1378 viewsEireannach_gorm

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 19:31 - Sep 11 by Guthrum

Only when the cloaking device is turned on.

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 10:25 - Sep 12 with 1344 viewsChurchman

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 08:35 - Sep 12 by Guthrum

The old engineering maxim that beauty and efficiency go together.

How true. The De Havilland Mosquito is a classic example of that.
B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 10:26 - Sep 12 with 1343 viewsStokieBlue

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 10:25 - Sep 12 by Churchman

How true. The De Havilland Mosquito is a classic example of that.

And the Comet.

SB

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 10:29 - Sep 12 with 1338 viewsRyorry

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 06:29 - Sep 12 by StokieBlue

I didn't down vote him for that, the initial post didn't describe his reasons (it implies asthetics). As a pure piece of science its an incredible achievement.

I agree on climate change and if course plenty of research is being done. You are aware the B2 was designed 40-50 years ago so it's not really equatible to your suggestion?

Spin-offs from ours design will have no doubt me their way into other things like more efficient engines. Your main point on research is a good one and historically military means has got the majority of development budgets but I think things are changing with private companies like SpaceX taking research out of government hands.

SB
[Post edited 12 Sep 2019 7:10]

My inference from his OP incorporated his posting history being that of a pacifist, and I see he has now covered this point himself anyway as he's said he actually quite likes the aesthetics of the aircraft from a side on view.

As for your following post pointing out the defensive aspect of nuclear weapons, I had already covered that myself in my post.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 10:37 - Sep 12 with 1329 viewsjaykay

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 19:56 - Sep 11 by BanksterDebtSlave

Between Saxmundham and Framlingham.....really low too.

Edit....so low in fact that it was tunnelling under the road!
[Post edited 11 Sep 2019 21:01]

ruddy hell you must have been walking or passenger ,to take your eyes off that road with all them bends every 100yds would be suicidal .

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 09:56 - Sep 16 with 1227 viewsBullardsMagicMullet

Keeping a close eye on the Russians, they are encroaching into Norway.

The stealth's are being refuelled by the air refuelling wing via Mildenhall airbase.

Flounce when ITFC lose, flounce about brexit and flounce about Trump.
Poll: What ITFC Podcast do you prefer?

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 09:58 - Sep 16 with 1217 viewsStokieBlue

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 09:56 - Sep 16 by BullardsMagicMullet

Keeping a close eye on the Russians, they are encroaching into Norway.

The stealth's are being refuelled by the air refuelling wing via Mildenhall airbase.

Got a link? I seriously doubt the Russians would actively enter a NATO country.

The B2 isn't used for reconnaissance either I don't think.

SB
[Post edited 16 Sep 2019 9:59]

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 10:32 - Sep 16 with 1194 viewsSwansea_Blue

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 19:56 - Sep 11 by BanksterDebtSlave

Between Saxmundham and Framlingham.....really low too.

Edit....so low in fact that it was tunnelling under the road!
[Post edited 11 Sep 2019 21:01]

Facters calling in a favour probably. Getting his lunch dropped off.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 10:46 - Sep 16 with 1185 viewsBullardsMagicMullet

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 09:58 - Sep 16 by StokieBlue

Got a link? I seriously doubt the Russians would actively enter a NATO country.

The B2 isn't used for reconnaissance either I don't think.

SB
[Post edited 16 Sep 2019 9:59]

Sorry nothing on-line, just what a reliable person with links to the airbase told me.

Sounded like they aren't entering Norway but are getting very close to the area, pushing their luck, like when they have previously crept into our air space.

Flounce when ITFC lose, flounce about brexit and flounce about Trump.
Poll: What ITFC Podcast do you prefer?

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 10:48 - Sep 16 with 1182 viewsStokieBlue

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 10:46 - Sep 16 by BullardsMagicMullet

Sorry nothing on-line, just what a reliable person with links to the airbase told me.

Sounded like they aren't entering Norway but are getting very close to the area, pushing their luck, like when they have previously crept into our air space.

Ah OK.

Not much to see there then, the Russians are always going to play games like that and see what they can get away with.

Surprised a B2 is involved though - seems more like a job for some F22's.

SB

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 10:55 - Sep 16 with 1173 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 10:37 - Sep 12 by jaykay

ruddy hell you must have been walking or passenger ,to take your eyes off that road with all them bends every 100yds would be suicidal .

Was walking the dog !

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 10:59 - Sep 16 with 1168 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 10:48 - Sep 16 by StokieBlue

Ah OK.

Not much to see there then, the Russians are always going to play games like that and see what they can get away with.

Surprised a B2 is involved though - seems more like a job for some F22's.

SB

Norway gets a fleeting mention here....but the sea!
https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/us-b2-bombers-flying-low-over-ipswich-1-62651

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 11:44 - Sep 16 with 1155 viewscaught-in-limbo

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 10:46 - Sep 16 by BullardsMagicMullet

"like when they have previously crept into our air space."

Again, I'm with Stokie on this one. That seems unlikely. Can you give us a link to when that happened or is that the same reliable mate with links to an airbase?

Perhaps you're talking about this event:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/raf-typhoons-scramble-from-uk-and-estonia-to-

"The intercept and monitoring was completed in international airspace throughout and conducted in a safe and professional manner."

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 11:55 - Sep 16 with 1151 viewscaught-in-limbo

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 10:59 - Sep 16 by BanksterDebtSlave

Norway gets a fleeting mention here....but the sea!
https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/us-b2-bombers-flying-low-over-ipswich-1-62651

Not much to see there then, US/UK flying in international airspace close to foreign countries is a game played regularly by all sides to constantly monitor how their adversaries respond.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 12:00 - Sep 16 with 1144 viewsStokieBlue

B2 Stealth bomber just flew over the house... on 11:55 - Sep 16 by caught-in-limbo

Not much to see there then, US/UK flying in international airspace close to foreign countries is a game played regularly by all sides to constantly monitor how their adversaries respond.

Indeed.

The only issues that are likely to occur are in places like the Spratleys whereby one side considers them sovereign airspace and the rest of the world via the UN doesn't.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024