Quantcast
Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What are your favourite beaches locally? 17:29 - Sep 14 with 2980 viewsdominiciawful

Which do you think are the best around Suffolk/Norfolk/Essex?

Was fortunate enough to visit Holkham again recently, pretty superb place.

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 17:55 - Sep 14 with 1761 viewssolomon

Has to be southwold, perfect.

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 17:58 - Sep 14 with 1756 viewsMullet

Went on holiday to Wells and it was a nice surprise how nice it was. The hall was decent too even under COVID restrictions.

There was a beach on the way to Hunstanton where you had to pay a tenner for the car and Norfolk Wildlife Trust manned it, but was well worth the money. Far quieter and that.

Growing up by Southwold I've always taken it for granted, but I do like a wander round Dunwich etc. too.

Poll: Would you like Ipswich to get promoted?
Blog: Climbing Up the Walls

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 18:18 - Sep 14 with 1717 viewsnorth_stand77

Just for its remoteness, I like Shingle Street. Used to go there as a child- absolutely nothing there except for a handful of cottages and stones!

Waxham Sands is another beach I love but more people go there now.

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 18:26 - Sep 14 with 1694 viewsBLUEBEAT

Dunwich will always be my favourite.

I also like Covehithe Beach due to the stripped down, almost skeletal tree trunks lying along the sands... quite otherworldly.

Poll: Most pointless?

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 18:32 - Sep 14 with 1680 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Secret.....not telling!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: Who has the most dirt on who...?

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 18:38 - Sep 14 with 1664 viewsclive_baker

I went to Horsey at the back end of last year when 2,000 Seals and pups were on the beach for pupping season. That was cool, walked a few miles across to Winterton, few pints in the pub and got picked up from there. Would definitely recommend Horsey, although I've really not seen enough of Norfolk's coast to compare it to much.

Suffolk I would say Southwold > Aldeburgh. And perhaps controversially I've tended to go to Old Felixstowe more than either lately. Often overlooked in the Suffolk beach conversation, but very good spot IMO.

Essex: I only tend to drive through it and out the other side.

Poll: Are you happy with the lineup today?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 18:58 - Sep 14 with 1624 viewsTonytown

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 18:38 - Sep 14 by clive_baker

I went to Horsey at the back end of last year when 2,000 Seals and pups were on the beach for pupping season. That was cool, walked a few miles across to Winterton, few pints in the pub and got picked up from there. Would definitely recommend Horsey, although I've really not seen enough of Norfolk's coast to compare it to much.

Suffolk I would say Southwold > Aldeburgh. And perhaps controversially I've tended to go to Old Felixstowe more than either lately. Often overlooked in the Suffolk beach conversation, but very good spot IMO.

Another vote for Waxham Sands and Horsey from me.

Many more seals than people, lovely sandy beaches.

Had a lovely week there in early August.
What are your favourite beaches locally? on 19:02 - Sep 14 with 1613 viewseastangliaisblue

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 18:26 - Sep 14 by BLUEBEAT

Dunwich will always be my favourite.

I also like Covehithe Beach due to the stripped down, almost skeletal tree trunks lying along the sands... quite otherworldly.

Well I never, how have I never heard of Covehithe Beach?! I just gave it a google, now got it on my walking list, thanks for that.
[Post edited 14 Sep 19:05]
Login to get fewer ads

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 19:12 - Sep 14 with 1592 viewsHARRY10

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 18:18 - Sep 14 by north_stand77

Just for its remoteness, I like Shingle Street. Used to go there as a child- absolutely nothing there except for a handful of cottages and stones!

Waxham Sands is another beach I love but more people go there now.

An interesting war time mystery, for those interested

Though I would suggest looking it up and reading other sources/thoughts to get a fuller picture

https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/30/a7455530.shtml
What are your favourite beaches locally? on 19:14 - Sep 14 with 1582 viewshype313

Frinton beach is lovely

Poll: Would you have the Covid Vaccine

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 19:19 - Sep 14 with 1569 viewsUB9Blue

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 19:02 - Sep 14 by eastangliaisblue

Well I never, how have I never heard of Covehithe Beach?! I just gave it a google, now got it on my walking list, thanks for that.

Friends from Ipswich took me to Covehithe beach on Friday. I had never heard of it before then and really enjoyed the walk

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 19:21 - Sep 14 with 1554 viewsSharkey

Me and my girl, out on the ice

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 19:23 - Sep 14 with 1550 viewsTheJam

Horsey, beautiful sand, seals, tide goes out and sandbank to wade out too.

Poll: Mick in/out v Brexit in/out

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 19:32 - Sep 14 with 1527 viewsmojo

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 17:58 - Sep 14 by Mullet

Went on holiday to Wells and it was a nice surprise how nice it was. The hall was decent too even under COVID restrictions.

There was a beach on the way to Hunstanton where you had to pay a tenner for the car and Norfolk Wildlife Trust manned it, but was well worth the money. Far quieter and that.

Growing up by Southwold I've always taken it for granted, but I do like a wander round Dunwich etc. too.

You will mean Holme or Brancaster. Both lovely beaches

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 19:34 - Sep 14 with 1521 viewsTractorWood

Was going to say Holkham. Really excellent.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 19:42 - Sep 14 with 1506 viewsElephantintheRoom

Don't park too close to the edge or your car won't be there when you get back. It's quite scary if you walk in the autumn and see how close to the edge they have planted - and then how much disappears the next year when the crop has grown..

If nobody has mentioned it - there is a remarkable church within a church to look around before setting off down the footpath that very few people bother to walk down to the beach.

Blog: Wing Wonders (Part Two)

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 19:43 - Sep 14 with 1502 viewseastangliaisblue

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 19:12 - Sep 14 by HARRY10

An interesting war time mystery, for those interested

Though I would suggest looking it up and reading other sources/thoughts to get a fuller picture

https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/30/a7455530.shtml

Don't quote me on this, but I'm sure I've read somewhere that some historian debunked the myth of that story.
What are your favourite beaches locally? on 19:45 - Sep 14 with 1490 viewsBLUEBEAT

We tend to stop there during a beach walk from Pakefield to Southwold.

What are your favourite beaches locally? (n/t) on 19:47 - Sep 14 with 1482 viewsnorth_stand77

[Post edited 14 Sep 19:52]
What are your favourite beaches locally? on 19:47 - Sep 14 with 1481 viewseastangliaisblue

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 19:42 - Sep 14 by ElephantintheRoom

Don't park too close to the edge or your car won't be there when you get back. It's quite scary if you walk in the autumn and see how close to the edge they have planted - and then how much disappears the next year when the crop has grown..

If nobody has mentioned it - there is a remarkable church within a church to look around before setting off down the footpath that very few people bother to walk down to the beach.

I see about the church when I googled it, looks interesting. I just hope the sea hasn't swallowed it before I get the chance to see it!

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 19:47 - Sep 14 with 1484 viewsElephantintheRoom

Don't laugh but there is a lot to be said for the walk from Sizewall to Minsmere... particularly if you have a passing interest in birds. black redstarts and kittiwake are just two of the more unusual suffolk birds that love the high radiation living at sizewall and the dunes have some interesting plants too. If you press on to dunwich you can have a nice fish and chip lunch whilst waiting for someone to gve you a lift home

Blog: Wing Wonders (Part Two)

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 19:51 - Sep 14 with 1462 viewsJ2BLUE

I used to take the piss out of Felixstowe but as I get older I am beginning to appreciate it a lot more. Old Felixstowe is great.

Poll: Would you vote Labour to avoid a Boris led government?

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 19:52 - Sep 14 with 1456 viewsBLUEBEAT

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 19:42 - Sep 14 by ElephantintheRoom

Nice shots of the beach and church here

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 19:56 - Sep 14 with 1452 viewsjeera

What are your favourite beaches locally? (n/t) on 19:47 - Sep 14 by north_stand77

[Post edited 14 Sep 19:52]

Spent a few nights at Shingle Street and Dunwich years ago.

Supposedly fishing, but really it was just an excuse to spend a night by the sea.

Just to watch the moon shine off the water.

And the multi coloured birds skimming by...

Well it looks like a duck, it sounds like a duck. Nope, dunno what it is.
Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 19:57 - Sep 14 with 1448 viewslongtimefan

What are your favourite beaches locally? on 19:43 - Sep 14 by eastangliaisblue

Don't quote me on this, but I'm sure I've read somewhere that some historian debunked the myth of that story.

It’s certainly a fairly common story around these parts. I was told it at a young age by my Grandad who was in the Home Guard during the war. His account, which matches that in the link, was supposedly passed one by other Home Guard members.

Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2020