Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What To Do Against The Belgians 13:45 - Jun 25 with 2087 viewsGenericIpswichMan

First thread on here so thought I'd keep it footy related and open debate to all.

So England v Belgium, both teams qualified. If Southgate is true to form he would want to pick his team at least 24 hours before kick off, meaning that he can't speculate on who we are likely to get in the quarter finals, nor would he be able to know at that stage who we will play in the round of 16.

Therefore, personally I think that to weaken the team based on guesswork will be an unlikely thing to do.

I'm not sure how the yellow card system works in the 2nd round, but assuming either Walker or Loftus-Cheek gets booked then they will be suspended, so on that logic I don't think either will start. Pickford hasn't actually made a save yet so I don't see any sense in dropping him, and I also think Lingard, Kane and Trippier were taken off specifically to keep them fresh for this game.

I also can't see the benefit of rushing back Dele Alli either.

So...I reckon GS will simply just go out to freshen things up and keep momentum and go for something like:

GK - Pickford
CB - Cahill
CB - Stones
CB - Maguire
RB - Trippier
LB - Rose
CM - Dier
CM - Henderson
CM - Lingard
CF - Kane
CF - Rashford

Thoughts?
What To Do Against The Belgians on 13:49 - Jun 25 with 2062 viewsTractorCam

Welcome to the forum! I reckon you are on to something there, I didn't think about the booking system and we have good cover in those positions. I don't reckon he'll name hi team early on this occasion however, he will want to see how it pans out although I doubt other results would affect his team selection.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

What To Do Against The Belgians on 13:51 - Jun 25 with 2051 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Jimmy Saville fan?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

What To Do Against The Belgians on 13:53 - Jun 25 with 2047 viewsGenericIpswichMan

What To Do Against The Belgians on 13:51 - Jun 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

Jimmy Saville fan?

Noooo!! I just knew someone would pick up on this!

I've actually had my account for ages, way before all of that business started. I managed to get around to changing the picture but no idea how to change my name.

Thanks for bringing that up!!
What To Do Against The Belgians on 13:54 - Jun 25 with 2044 viewsIpswichKnight

Not to far off what I would have done, don't think Southgate is the type to worry about a yellow card, only difference to what I would have done is have Loftus-Cheek in for Dier.
What To Do Against The Belgians on 13:57 - Jun 25 with 2039 viewsSpruceMoose

What To Do Against The Belgians on 13:53 - Jun 25 by GenericIpswichMan

Noooo!! I just knew someone would pick up on this!

I've actually had my account for ages, way before all of that business started. I managed to get around to changing the picture but no idea how to change my name.

Thanks for bringing that up!!

A quick PM to Gav to request a new name will sort it out. Just don't pick something like FredWestLivingItUp'.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

What To Do Against The Belgians on 14:00 - Jun 25 with 2025 viewsFrimleyBlue

I'd defo rest Kane, no point in risking anything happening to him same with Lingard.
I think 2nd place would actually be better for us, so I'd rather be risk free and play the fringe players and just get through the game.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

What To Do Against The Belgians on 14:08 - Jun 25 with 2001 viewsGavTWTD

What To Do Against The Belgians on 14:00 - Jun 25 by FrimleyBlue

I'd defo rest Kane, no point in risking anything happening to him same with Lingard.
I think 2nd place would actually be better for us, so I'd rather be risk free and play the fringe players and just get through the game.

I wouldn't rest anyone, but I would bring on Rashford and Vardy early in the second half. I'd like them to continue to play as a unit and build confidence. I think the yellows are cancelled out after this round.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

What To Do Against The Belgians on 14:13 - Jun 25 with 1987 viewstractordownsouth

What To Do Against The Belgians on 14:08 - Jun 25 by GavTWTD

I wouldn't rest anyone, but I would bring on Rashford and Vardy early in the second half. I'd like them to continue to play as a unit and build confidence. I think the yellows are cancelled out after this round.

Nah they're still applicable until the last 8

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Login to get fewer ads

What To Do Against The Belgians on 14:19 - Jun 25 with 1975 viewsSouperJim

I'd have one eye on the likely match-ups in the quarter final, taking nothing for granted of course. If it was a potential quarters match up with either winner of Brazil-v-Germany or Mexico-v-Switzerland, I'd cut my cloth accordingly to either do everything to beat the Belgians or rest key players and let the chips fall where they may.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

What To Do Against The Belgians on 14:29 - Jun 25 with 1953 viewsfactual_blue

54 secs

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

What To Do Against The Belgians on 14:30 - Jun 25 with 1953 viewsfactual_blue

What To Do Against The Belgians on 13:57 - Jun 25 by SpruceMoose

A quick PM to Gav to request a new name will sort it out. Just don't pick something like FredWestLivingItUp'.

Moosefumbler would be good.

What To Do Against The Belgians on 14:30 - Jun 25 with 1953 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

What To Do Against The Belgians on 13:57 - Jun 25 by SpruceMoose

Or any Stuart Hall catch phrases...

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

What To Do Against The Belgians on 14:31 - Jun 25 with 1950 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

There are no women in that line up.

Sexist.

What To Do Against The Belgians on 14:32 - Jun 25 with 1948 viewsfactual_blue

What To Do Against The Belgians on 14:31 - Jun 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

There are no women in that line up.

Sexist.

That'll be because of their squeaky, high-pitched voices.

What To Do Against The Belgians on 14:33 - Jun 25 with 1942 viewsSpruceMoose

What To Do Against The Belgians on 14:30 - Jun 25 by factual_blue

Moosefumbler would be good.

I'm considering a change of name to MooseFinderGeneral, after the appearance of the poster MooseJuice on the board. There can be only one.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

What To Do Against The Belgians on 14:45 - Jun 25 with 1928 viewsfactual_blue

What To Do Against The Belgians on 14:33 - Jun 25 by SpruceMoose

I'm considering a change of name to MooseFinderGeneral, after the appearance of the poster MooseJuice on the board. There can be only one.

Here you are at work in a well-known Suffolk village.

What To Do Against The Belgians on 14:52 - Jun 25 with 1915 viewsSpruceMoose

What To Do Against The Belgians on 14:45 - Jun 25 by factual_blue

Here you are at work in a well-known Suffolk village.

I initially thought that was CCTV footage of the Great Bentley Encyclopedia Burn 2018.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024