Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How long would it take to set up a new political party? 08:11 - Dec 12 with 5002 viewsBluefish

We cannot have 5 years of Corbyn and Mcdonnell, there will be nothing left.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

How long would it take to set up a new political party? on 14:04 - Dec 12 with 1200 viewseireblue

How long would it take to set up a new political party? on 12:15 - Dec 12 by Swansea_Blue

Keep up Dolly. He's a terrorist, anti-semite, who doesn't wear Saville Row suits, wears the WRONG COLOURED TIE for God's sake, won't sing the national anthem, doesn't support the England football team, rides a funny bike and was a big friend of Bin Laden.

Crikey, next you will be saying he is a vegetarian.

But he doesn’t wear Lycra.

So not all bad surely.
How long would it take to set up a new political party? on 14:06 - Dec 12 with 1194 viewsSpruceMoose

How long would it take to set up a new political party? on 14:04 - Dec 12 by eireblue

Crikey, next you will be saying he is a vegetarian.

But he doesn’t wear Lycra.

So not all bad surely.

Arsenal fan too.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

How long would it take to set up a new political party? on 14:24 - Dec 12 with 1183 viewsRyorry

How long would it take to set up a new political party? on 13:33 - Dec 12 by Guthrum

Write an outline position document and we can begin working on ideas and detail. Once there are some concrete policies, we can start considering leadership and funding.

Wow, thinking time required! But basically it was a kind of centre-left/Green alliance. I'm no economist and had problem finding a Chancellor! but want an economy focussed towards environmentalism, incl R&D + manufacturing in renewable energy, which I believe could be very profitable in business terms for the UK. Lots of new employment opportunities would be created from that too.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

How long would it take to set up a new political party? on 17:07 - Dec 12 with 1158 viewsGuthrum

How long would it take to set up a new political party? on 14:24 - Dec 12 by Ryorry

Wow, thinking time required! But basically it was a kind of centre-left/Green alliance. I'm no economist and had problem finding a Chancellor! but want an economy focussed towards environmentalism, incl R&D + manufacturing in renewable energy, which I believe could be very profitable in business terms for the UK. Lots of new employment opportunities would be created from that too.

Indeed. No good rushing in until the ideas are fully baked.

Do need to think about things like taxation (balance of adequate funding versus keeping earners happy). Foreign policy and alignments (e.g. NATO, Commonwealth, ties to the EU). Benefits, pensions and the NHS, how to pay for them. And so on.

It's a lot easier to hijack an existing party and bend it to your aims (e.g. Labour to New Labour and back again, Thatcher's takeover of the traditional Conservative Party) or splinter off (the SDP) than it is to start one from scratch.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

How long would it take to set up a new political party? on 18:31 - Dec 12 with 1143 viewsRyorry

How long would it take to set up a new political party? on 17:07 - Dec 12 by Guthrum

Indeed. No good rushing in until the ideas are fully baked.

Do need to think about things like taxation (balance of adequate funding versus keeping earners happy). Foreign policy and alignments (e.g. NATO, Commonwealth, ties to the EU). Benefits, pensions and the NHS, how to pay for them. And so on.

It's a lot easier to hijack an existing party and bend it to your aims (e.g. Labour to New Labour and back again, Thatcher's takeover of the traditional Conservative Party) or splinter off (the SDP) than it is to start one from scratch.

Taxation etc is why I need a Chancellor! * Also need a Foreign Sec. I'd be happy to take Home Office duties . That reminds me of a beautiful convo I had with an old flame, walking along Dunwich Beach in the mid 70s - an economist, he was gonna be Chancellor & I was gonna be HS - happy days!

Always thought it a shame that the SDP never really got going. Not sure if it'd be so easy to splinter off now - I suspect that what would appeal to volumes of people now would be something completely new/different. I'd be looking with "my" party to attract moderate Labourites, traditional LibDems, and add in all the Greens to give them a more solid, all-round manifesto & influence.

*Anyone with an Economics or PPE degree, please PM me! ;)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

How long would it take to set up a new political party? on 20:19 - Dec 12 with 1117 viewsTexaco73

Why do you need to create a party?

Isn't parliament supposed to be people elected to represent the views and needs of their constituents?

Party politics is all that is wrong with the governance of this country. People are elected because they wear a coloured rosette in many cases. This is wrong.

There are millions of disenfranchised people. There are millions who vote for "minor" parties and their voices are never heard.
Is this modern democracy?

Political parties should be abolished in my opinion.
People should be elected on their own merits within their community.
Then parliament is a numbers game.
To get laws through would require agreement from the spectrum of representatives of the people rather than the party power games and self interest.

We have a two party system that is 200 years old.
The two parties are tearing themselves apart because the system is not fit for purpose in the radically different landscape we live in today.
Adding new parties isn't the way forward for me. It still just perpetuates the power grabbing.
How long would it take to set up a new political party? on 20:43 - Dec 12 with 1103 viewsDarth_Koont

How long would it take to set up a new political party? on 20:19 - Dec 12 by Texaco73

Why do you need to create a party?

Isn't parliament supposed to be people elected to represent the views and needs of their constituents?

Party politics is all that is wrong with the governance of this country. People are elected because they wear a coloured rosette in many cases. This is wrong.

There are millions of disenfranchised people. There are millions who vote for "minor" parties and their voices are never heard.
Is this modern democracy?

Political parties should be abolished in my opinion.
People should be elected on their own merits within their community.
Then parliament is a numbers game.
To get laws through would require agreement from the spectrum of representatives of the people rather than the party power games and self interest.

We have a two party system that is 200 years old.
The two parties are tearing themselves apart because the system is not fit for purpose in the radically different landscape we live in today.
Adding new parties isn't the way forward for me. It still just perpetuates the power grabbing.

Parties being abolished is wrong I think. But our First-Past-the Post system definitely should be as it leads to the red v blue, flag-waving emptiness of modern British politics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duverger%27s_law

Pronouns: He/Him

How long would it take to set up a new political party? on 22:26 - Dec 12 with 1073 viewstractorboy7777

How long would it take to set up a new political party? on 11:58 - Dec 12 by itfcjoe

I think that is a bit unfair personally - but agree that is what has costed them.

They were very much a junior partner, but think the bast 3 years have shown they were certainly keep the Tories in check when part of the coalition and got some bits through - most notably the £10k income tax threshold.

But they have been able to be framed by both Labour and Tory as the bad guys on things and now are seen as a joke.

We'd be in a lot better position had there been another coalition - would never have been a referendum for a start

This has been my view for a long time! The coalition years were far more positive than the three years since.

I just hope they regain some ground as I do believe they would be good for the country, be it in a coalition or by themselves (the latter being highly unlikely!)

Poll: If ticket prices were the same in SBR upper and lower, where would you choose?

Login to get fewer ads

How long would it take to set up a new political party? on 07:24 - Dec 13 with 1005 viewsStokieBlue

How long would it take to set up a new political party? on 11:44 - Dec 12 by BrixtonBlue

What do you base that assertion on? Corbyn hasn't done anything yet - hasn't had a chance to. People are running scared simply because it's the unknown.

Give him a chance I say. Can't do any worse than the current lot.

I don't think that's accurate.

He's said what he would do as has McDonnell. That's more than enough facts to form an opinion. It's certainly not unknown.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

How long would it take to set up a new political party? on 10:13 - Dec 13 with 982 viewsBrixtonBlue

How long would it take to set up a new political party? on 07:24 - Dec 13 by StokieBlue

I don't think that's accurate.

He's said what he would do as has McDonnell. That's more than enough facts to form an opinion. It's certainly not unknown.

SB

They all say what they're going to do. We can't really know how good they'll be until they actually do stuff.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

How long would it take to set up a new political party? on 10:15 - Dec 13 with 980 viewsStokieBlue

How long would it take to set up a new political party? on 10:13 - Dec 13 by BrixtonBlue

They all say what they're going to do. We can't really know how good they'll be until they actually do stuff.

I do agree with you up until a point.

Conversely however it's easy to promise the world but that perhaps shouldn't give you the chance to try and implement it if it clearly isn't possible.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024