Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When did gifts for teachers become a thing? 18:18 - Jul 17 with 2655 viewsShawsey

My Grandson took an Amazon gift card in for his teacher today. Anybody giving a gift to a teacher in my day would have been beaten to a pulp in the play ground. Apparently it is a thing now and parents are using it as a rule for who gives the best gift. Craziness. I bet there are teachers on here who will shout me down, but this really shouldn't be a thing that is expected and parents are left to feel guilty if they don't give a gift.
When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 18:25 - Jul 17 with 2020 viewsSpruceMoose

I just asked my teacher wife.

She said:

"It's never expected, but always appreciated."

As someone without kids but who is married to a teacher I say:

"Parents are often nuts, are often their own worst enemy, and frequently make the lives of teachers unpleasant because of their ridiculous narcissism. The teacher isn't responsible for their behaviour.".
[Post edited 17 Jul 2020 18:26]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 18:30 - Jul 17 with 2004 viewsShawsey

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 18:25 - Jul 17 by SpruceMoose

I just asked my teacher wife.

She said:

"It's never expected, but always appreciated."

As someone without kids but who is married to a teacher I say:

"Parents are often nuts, are often their own worst enemy, and frequently make the lives of teachers unpleasant because of their ridiculous narcissism. The teacher isn't responsible for their behaviour.".
[Post edited 17 Jul 2020 18:26]

I wasn't blaming teachers, but parents using it as a way of trying to make others feel bad. If you have very little money and can only afford a small gift, others are laughing or pointing at you. Terrible. My Daughter felt obliged to give a gift even though She couldn't really afford it. Just having a little Friday moan, ignore me.
When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 18:33 - Jul 17 with 1989 viewsSpruceMoose

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 18:30 - Jul 17 by Shawsey

I wasn't blaming teachers, but parents using it as a way of trying to make others feel bad. If you have very little money and can only afford a small gift, others are laughing or pointing at you. Terrible. My Daughter felt obliged to give a gift even though She couldn't really afford it. Just having a little Friday moan, ignore me.

I agree with you, I get a great close up view of the absurdity of some of the behaviours of parents. I just wanted to clarify that there's little the teachers can do about it.

My wife's favourite gifts from her class this year were hand written notes, drawings and little video messages that they had recorded for her, and not the quick and easy Amazon gift card. So there's are ways to let your appreciation be known without spending money. Other snobs might laugh, but the person getting the gift will appreciate it,
[Post edited 17 Jul 2020 18:34]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 18:37 - Jul 17 with 1978 viewsShawsey

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 18:33 - Jul 17 by SpruceMoose

I agree with you, I get a great close up view of the absurdity of some of the behaviours of parents. I just wanted to clarify that there's little the teachers can do about it.

My wife's favourite gifts from her class this year were hand written notes, drawings and little video messages that they had recorded for her, and not the quick and easy Amazon gift card. So there's are ways to let your appreciation be known without spending money. Other snobs might laugh, but the person getting the gift will appreciate it,

That is great, thank you. I shall pass that on to my Daughter for next year. My Grandson can maybe make something and a card . Thanks again and thanks to your Wife for doing what She does.
When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 18:37 - Jul 17 with 1976 viewsCBBlue

We've always been suckered in and done a gift but stick to something my child has made them rather than spend a fortune especially as most years we've had 2 teachers and 1 or 2 classroom assistants to 'buy' for. My friend has 2 kids so that's 4 teachers and 3 classroom assistants.

Poll: School on Monday - are you sending in your R, Y1 or Y6 kids?

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 18:41 - Jul 17 with 1962 viewsSpruceMoose

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 18:37 - Jul 17 by CBBlue

We've always been suckered in and done a gift but stick to something my child has made them rather than spend a fortune especially as most years we've had 2 teachers and 1 or 2 classroom assistants to 'buy' for. My friend has 2 kids so that's 4 teachers and 3 classroom assistants.

Yeah it soon gets ridiculous

And I promise you all that partners of teachers do not take kindly to the house suddenly filling with fifteen year planners, and ten notecard sets every June!

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 18:49 - Jul 17 with 1954 viewsIllinoisblue

Standard practice over here which I have no problem with; a Starbucks or Amazon gift card for educating my kids seems reasonable. I do however have a problem with pushy parents who try to organize group gifts and set up FB pages for people to contribute. Fook off.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 18:53 - Jul 17 with 1934 viewseastangliaisblue

I have asked myself the same thing over the last few years. I tried to tell my wife not to bother the first time it happened, but she was having none of it. I think it's a case of keeping up with the Jones's. Whoever came up with it first deserves a slap round the chops.
Login to get fewer ads

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 19:00 - Jul 17 with 1917 viewsMattinLondon

An ex- colleague of mine told me that teachers at prestigious private schools sometimes have to declare their pupils gifts- not for tax reasons but because they could be viewed as a bribe.

Not sure how correct this is though.
When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 19:02 - Jul 17 with 1907 viewsjeera

I didn't understand what you meant in your OP but see where you're coming from now.

Individual gifts seems off to me, as it opens up all sorts of suggestive stuff regarding favoritism etc.

We bought our teachers gifts as children, so that was a long time ago!

But that would be a group thing and more a collective token than anything else, so the donations would be minimum.

I think that's probably a nice thing at maybe Primary level.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 20:27 - Jul 17 with 1795 viewsJ2BLUE

When I was at school if people bothered at all it was a couple of quid on a token gift like chocolates etc. Not surprised to hear it's become competitive as everything seems to these days.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 20:38 - Jul 17 with 1769 viewstractordownsouth

My parents both teach and personally I look forward to the boxes of chocolates and booze given to them at the end of July. But neither of them expect a gift, so if you can't afford it then don't feel guilty.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 20:48 - Jul 17 with 1752 viewsSwansea_Blue

It was a thing in the early 80s, if that's any help. A little gift to show appreciation for them putting up with our little sh*ts is probably welcomed.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 21:10 - Jul 17 with 1731 viewsRonFearonsHair

When did replacing the beautiful word 'commonplace' with the vulgar phrase 'a thing' become commonplace?
When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 23:53 - Jul 17 with 1635 viewsMattinLondon

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 21:10 - Jul 17 by RonFearonsHair

When did replacing the beautiful word 'commonplace' with the vulgar phrase 'a thing' become commonplace?

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 09:38 - Jul 18 with 1483 viewsMullet

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 19:00 - Jul 17 by MattinLondon

An ex- colleague of mine told me that teachers at prestigious private schools sometimes have to declare their pupils gifts- not for tax reasons but because they could be viewed as a bribe.

Not sure how correct this is though.

Technically speaking we are expected to do the same, although in practice I doubt it happens very much.

It's rare we get gifts and they're never expected personally speaking. I've had some lovely kids who have given me stuff and I feel bad and awkward about it. The cards are always the nicest thing to be honest, as it seems quite old fashioned now to sit down and put that effort in.

This week I got emails but that's due to the virus!

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 09:43 - Jul 18 with 1478 viewsGeoffSentence

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 18:41 - Jul 17 by SpruceMoose

Yeah it soon gets ridiculous

And I promise you all that partners of teachers do not take kindly to the house suddenly filling with fifteen year planners, and ten notecard sets every June!

I notice that charity shops become awash with "world's best teacher" mugs shortly after the school year ends.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 09:47 - Jul 18 with 1465 viewsfooters

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 09:43 - Jul 18 by GeoffSentence

I notice that charity shops become awash with "world's best teacher" mugs shortly after the school year ends.

Modest lot, aren't they?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 17:00 - Jul 18 with 1358 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Not expected but definitely appreciated - often very low value gifts - a card alone with a personal message is as highly valued if not more so. Tends to happen in primary and very rarely in secondary. Been a thing for a very long time I believe.

We now have to declare any gifts we receive too.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 08:30 - Jul 20 with 1222 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 08:42 - Jul 20 with 1193 viewsHerbivore

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 21:10 - Jul 17 by RonFearonsHair

It's been a thing for a while now.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 08:55 - Jul 20 with 1171 viewsDubtractor

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 18:33 - Jul 17 by SpruceMoose

Mrs Dub is a teacher and would 100% agree with this.

There are only so many 'World's Best Teacher' mugs that you need, so something a bit more meaningful, that may have cost nothing but shows that the kid appreciates you, is far more appreciated.

I should add that every single gift is appreciated though, and all helps to make the job seem worthwhile and valued by the kids and parents. Not one single kid who doesn't bring a gift is thought less of though, at least not by Mrs Dub anyway.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2020 9:03]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 09:05 - Jul 20 with 1149 viewsitfcjoe

It was a thing when I was at school, but was something like a mug or a box of chocolates.

Only remember doing it at primary, where you have the same teacher for everything - at high school when doing 10-11 subjects I can't imagine presents can be got for everyone!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 09:06 - Jul 20 with 1145 viewsmonytowbray

Your Grandson is a bootlicker. Both for Bezos and teachers.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 10:50 - Jul 20 with 1088 viewseastangliaisblue

When did gifts for teachers become a thing? on 09:06 - Jul 20 by monytowbray

Your Grandson is a bootlicker. Both for Bezos and teachers.

You might have issues with the OP, but leave his Grandson out of it. You're making yourself look petty.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024