Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Extraordinary situation 12:56 - May 23 with 1660 viewsgordon

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/21/european-elections-many-eu-citi

This story is starting to break - significant numbers of EU citizens are being told they are unable to vote in the European elections in the UK because of administrative errors. Some reporting that they have been told at polling stations to 'vote in their own country'.
Extraordinary situation on 13:00 - May 23 with 1441 viewsitfcjoe

What's worse is it is totally unnecessary - most other countries do it on trust, because the main thing that EU worry about is that people aren't voting in more than one election as they are (nearly) all held on the same day.

It is only a declaration that they will not be voting in the EU elections in other countries that is required - does that really take that much admin? It should just be done on trust - it's highly unlikely that people will vote here then head to the airport and vote elsewhere today

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Extraordinary situation on 13:01 - May 23 with 1437 viewsSouperJim

This is a bit of a scandal isn't it, particularly considering the overwhelming majority of those affected will very likely have wanted to vote for pro-remain parties. Suggests brexit-bias, which while I'm sure isn't the case, it doesn't look great on the surface.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Extraordinary situation on 13:04 - May 23 with 1422 viewsgordon

Extraordinary situation on 13:00 - May 23 by itfcjoe

What's worse is it is totally unnecessary - most other countries do it on trust, because the main thing that EU worry about is that people aren't voting in more than one election as they are (nearly) all held on the same day.

It is only a declaration that they will not be voting in the EU elections in other countries that is required - does that really take that much admin? It should just be done on trust - it's highly unlikely that people will vote here then head to the airport and vote elsewhere today

Exactly - the statement could be signed and submitted at the polling booth. there are no actual checks done anyway, just a form filled out which is then taken on trust anyway.

It's effectively removing the vote from a group of people for no good reason, which is fundamentally undemocractic and will undermine whatever the results of the election are.
Extraordinary situation on 13:07 - May 23 with 1409 viewsgordon

Extraordinary situation on 13:01 - May 23 by SouperJim

This is a bit of a scandal isn't it, particularly considering the overwhelming majority of those affected will very likely have wanted to vote for pro-remain parties. Suggests brexit-bias, which while I'm sure isn't the case, it doesn't look great on the surface.

It doesn't matter that much whether it's planned or accidental (from one perspective), if the numbers are significant then the result is undermined.
Extraordinary situation on 13:20 - May 23 with 1377 viewsfactual_blue

Although this sounds more serious, there were scare stories at the time of the referendum. Apparently leavers were being told on twitbook to take a biro with them to put their vote on the ballot paper, as the staff counting the vote would rub out 'leave' votes made in pencil.
[Post edited 23 May 2019 13:21]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Extraordinary situation on 13:24 - May 23 with 1359 viewsitfcjoe

Extraordinary situation on 13:20 - May 23 by factual_blue

Although this sounds more serious, there were scare stories at the time of the referendum. Apparently leavers were being told on twitbook to take a biro with them to put their vote on the ballot paper, as the staff counting the vote would rub out 'leave' votes made in pencil.

They still are

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Extraordinary situation on 13:26 - May 23 with 1351 viewsbrazil1982

So, you'd be happy for people to turn up to vote, who are not registered to vote?
Extraordinary situation on 13:29 - May 23 with 1339 viewsFtnfwest

UK citizens living in EU countries are having the same problems. Strange the Guardians focusing on just this angle
[Post edited 23 May 2019 13:30]
Login to get fewer ads

Extraordinary situation on 13:47 - May 23 with 1265 viewsgordon

Extraordinary situation on 13:29 - May 23 by Ftnfwest

UK citizens living in EU countries are having the same problems. Strange the Guardians focusing on just this angle

If UK citizens are being turned away from polling booths today in other EU countries (except the Netherlands) then the problem isn't quite the same!
Extraordinary situation on 14:21 - May 23 with 1209 viewsGuthrum

Extraordinary situation on 13:29 - May 23 by Ftnfwest

They had articles on the UK expat issue a few days ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/22/european-elections-overseas-brits-

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Extraordinary situation on 14:27 - May 23 with 1202 viewsBlueBadger

Extraordinary situation on 13:26 - May 23 by brazil1982

So, you'd be happy for people to turn up to vote, who are not registered to vote?

Careful with those matches round that straw man there.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Extraordinary situation on 14:29 - May 23 with 1191 viewsgiant_stow

Extraordinary situation on 14:27 - May 23 by BlueBadger

Careful with those matches round that straw man there.

One of the women in the article said she could see her name on the list of voters but pencilled out. So registered but not registered. This is pretty grim stuff, but at least it means we can disregard the Brexit party victory as totally unreliable.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Extraordinary situation on 14:36 - May 23 with 1171 viewsBlueBadger

Extraordinary situation on 13:20 - May 23 by factual_blue

If there's one thing that the last few years has taught us, it's the Illuminati are spectacularly bad at their jobs.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Extraordinary situation on 14:42 - May 23 with 1140 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Extraordinary situation on 14:29 - May 23 by giant_stow

One of the women in the article said she could see her name on the list of voters but pencilled out. So registered but not registered. This is pretty grim stuff, but at least it means we can disregard the Brexit party victory as totally unreliable.

That’s the standard process - the register basically contains everyone living in the area but then has crosses through those not registered to vote in that election, which tends to be foreign nationals or people under 18 (they show on the register from 17)

I’ve ran a polling station at basically every election for the last 15 years up to this year and it’s not particularly unusual to have people come in who aren’t registered - typically as they’re registered elsewhere and haven’t updated details. Reading this story it doesn’t sound anything different to the norm - although if local authorities have given people the wrong advice re registering then clearly that is an issue

EDIT - Sorry just seen that you said pencilled out. In the above names would have been crossed out in print - a pencil mark would have been added by the poll clerk to denote they had voted. They would tell them the reason they couldn’t vote though and if it was because they had already voted and the person genuinely hadn’t, they should be issued a provisional paper anyway. But I assume I’m this case they were just crossed out as ineligible
[Post edited 23 May 2019 15:03]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Extraordinary situation on 14:48 - May 23 with 1128 viewsPinewoodblue

They put a line through your name so you can't vote twice.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Extraordinary situation on 15:01 - May 23 with 1099 viewsgiant_stow

Extraordinary situation on 14:42 - May 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

That’s the standard process - the register basically contains everyone living in the area but then has crosses through those not registered to vote in that election, which tends to be foreign nationals or people under 18 (they show on the register from 17)

I’ve ran a polling station at basically every election for the last 15 years up to this year and it’s not particularly unusual to have people come in who aren’t registered - typically as they’re registered elsewhere and haven’t updated details. Reading this story it doesn’t sound anything different to the norm - although if local authorities have given people the wrong advice re registering then clearly that is an issue

EDIT - Sorry just seen that you said pencilled out. In the above names would have been crossed out in print - a pencil mark would have been added by the poll clerk to denote they had voted. They would tell them the reason they couldn’t vote though and if it was because they had already voted and the person genuinely hadn’t, they should be issued a provisional paper anyway. But I assume I’m this case they were just crossed out as ineligible
[Post edited 23 May 2019 15:03]

Oops

(I should try not to spout off about the many things I'm ignorant on)

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Extraordinary situation on 15:04 - May 23 with 1085 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Extraordinary situation on 15:01 - May 23 by giant_stow

Oops

Haha no probs, you can add winning trophies to that list too... 🙂

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Extraordinary situation on 15:10 - May 23 with 1064 viewsfactual_blue

Extraordinary situation on 14:36 - May 23 by BlueBadger

If there's one thing that the last few years has taught us, it's the Illuminati are spectacularly bad at their jobs.

Ahhh....that's what they'd like you to think....

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Extraordinary situation on 16:31 - May 23 with 1004 viewsWeWereZombies

Extraordinary situation on 15:04 - May 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Haha no probs, you can add winning trophies to that list too... 🙂

But you are forgetting the League Cup in 1962 and 1985 (I had to look those dates up, not exactly etched on the mind, are they?)

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Extraordinary situation on 18:52 - May 23 with 946 viewsSwansea_Blue

Seemingly being dismissed as insignificant by the Electoral Commission. It's quite scarey how the electoral commission work. I'd have thought they would have have very strong values around transparency, integrity, etc. But when you see how many legal challenges they face it's obvious that's not the case and their integrity shouldn't be assumed.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Extraordinary situation on 19:19 - May 23 with 933 viewsEireannach_gorm

Extraordinary situation on 14:21 - May 23 by Guthrum

They had articles on the UK expat issue a few days ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/22/european-elections-overseas-brits-

At least the councils are being even handed denying peoples legitimate vote. More incompetence than strategy it appears.
Extraordinary situation on 21:48 - May 23 with 880 viewsronnyd

Extraordinary situation on 15:01 - May 23 by giant_stow

Oops

This is not a dig as i like the way you respond to all the banter you get on the Forum. Are the NCFC forums so shiit that you get far more fun on here?
Extraordinary situation on 22:05 - May 23 with 860 viewspickles110564

Extraordinary situation on 13:01 - May 23 by SouperJim

Boo Who, ofc they would vote to remain in the corrupt EU.
Extraordinary situation on 22:06 - May 23 with 860 viewspickles110564

Extraordinary situation on 13:04 - May 23 by gordon

Exactly - the statement could be signed and submitted at the polling booth. there are no actual checks done anyway, just a form filled out which is then taken on trust anyway.

It's effectively removing the vote from a group of people for no good reason, which is fundamentally undemocractic and will undermine whatever the results of the election are.

LOL now you scream undemocratic, you remoaners do not even understand what it means.
Extraordinary situation on 22:08 - May 23 with 858 viewspickles110564

Ha Ha
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024