Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ben Stokes Not Guilty....... 12:51 - Aug 14 with 1704 viewsBlueorder

I want his solicitor if I get into trouble.
Ben Stokes Not Guilty....... on 14:21 - Aug 14 with 1617 viewsconnorscontract

Well I want Ben Stokes' next to me if someone comes at me with a bottle.
Ben Stokes Not Guilty....... on 14:54 - Aug 14 with 1570 viewsRadlett_blue

What I don't understand is why the two gay guys, whom Stokes was either defending or abusing depending on whom you believe - didn't give any evidence. Surely their evidence could have indicated who was telling the truth.
Although Stokes has been found not guilty, he doesn't come out of this particularly well & hopefully he might see it as something of a wake-up call.
I can see why he's been put back into the squad for the next Test & while arguably he's suffered by missing an Ashes Tour, but maybe this sends the wrong message, despite the "not guilty" verdict?
[Post edited 14 Aug 2018 14:55]

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Ben Stokes Not Guilty....... on 15:02 - Aug 14 with 1545 viewsvapour_trail

Ben Stokes Not Guilty....... on 14:54 - Aug 14 by Radlett_blue

What I don't understand is why the two gay guys, whom Stokes was either defending or abusing depending on whom you believe - didn't give any evidence. Surely their evidence could have indicated who was telling the truth.
Although Stokes has been found not guilty, he doesn't come out of this particularly well & hopefully he might see it as something of a wake-up call.
I can see why he's been put back into the squad for the next Test & while arguably he's suffered by missing an Ashes Tour, but maybe this sends the wrong message, despite the "not guilty" verdict?

ECB charges are expected to follow against stokes and hales. No point pre-judging that procedure by not picking him now. Could be some sort of playing sanction imposed even with the not guilty verdict.

A la John terry and the racist allegations a few years back.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Ben Stokes Not Guilty....... on 16:54 - Aug 14 with 1394 viewsacj

Ben Stokes Not Guilty....... on 14:54 - Aug 14 by Radlett_blue

They told their story in the press not long after the incident, quoted as saying he was defending them. I don't have a great deal of knowledge on how the legal system works but I think that speaking to the press can be considered as compromising your testimony or prejudicing the trial and thus making it less likely your testimony will be allowed to stand in court.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2017/10/27/ben-stokes-real-hero-saving-us-sa

Poll: Will Town score again this season?

Ben Stokes Not Guilty....... on 18:39 - Aug 14 with 1295 viewsRadlett_blue

Ben Stokes Not Guilty....... on 16:54 - Aug 14 by acj

They told their story in the press not long after the incident, quoted as saying he was defending them. I don't have a great deal of knowledge on how the legal system works but I think that speaking to the press can be considered as compromising your testimony or prejudicing the trial and thus making it less likely your testimony will be allowed to stand in court.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2017/10/27/ben-stokes-real-hero-saving-us-sa

Interesting. I think that clearly could have been considered prejudicial but it seems silly that 2 prime witnesses weren't cross-examined or allowed to give evidence.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Ben Stokes Not Guilty....... on 18:40 - Aug 14 with 1288 viewssparks

Ben Stokes Not Guilty....... on 18:39 - Aug 14 by Radlett_blue

Interesting. I think that clearly could have been considered prejudicial but it seems silly that 2 prime witnesses weren't cross-examined or allowed to give evidence.

Either party can call who they wish in principle.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Ben Stokes Not Guilty....... on 19:00 - Aug 14 with 1260 viewsbontcho

Following the case on cricinfo this seemed the only verdict the jury could give. There were so many holes in the prosecution from the lack of evidence regarding the gay guys, Alex Hales’ role including kicking the man on the floor (it was suggested he could have caused the injuries), the fella admitting he went at him with a bottle. It was interesting that they tried to introduce a lower charge at the start of the trial which suggests they knew it was weak.

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024