Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Careful what you wish for? 21:26 - Jun 10 with 4826 viewsxrayspecs

ROI 1-0 Gibraltar

78 mins

Sean Maguire offside now. Mick McCarthy screams some instructions from the sideline.

This is terrible to watch.
Careful what you wish for? on 06:35 - Jun 11 with 2289 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Careful what you wish for? on 22:10 - Jun 10 by xrayspecs

Appreciated what MM did for us. He was working on a shoe string.

Hated his obstinate failure to accept why Town fans fell out with him. I stopped my ST after many years because the four hour round trip became a heart sink. I am passionate about my club - have been since mid-70s - MM and his football gave me a reason not to come anymore.

I find his post-ITFC sniping incredibly bitter.

Anyway, new ST in a lower league with a new manager and cannot wait.

‘I find his post ITFC sniping incredibly bitter’

Isn’t that exactly what you’re doing in this thread?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Careful what you wish for? on 06:41 - Jun 11 with 2282 viewsFtnfwest

Careful what you wish for? on 06:34 - Jun 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

2 of his 3 what’s came against Gibraltar? And they what Georgia? Exactly

Ipswich Town have only won 3 more games than Mick McCarthy has since he left the club. We’ve played 45 more games

Good legacy
Careful what you wish for? on 07:11 - Jun 11 with 2242 viewsKeaneish

Careful what you wish for? on 22:04 - Jun 10 by Terry_Nutkins

What is the point of this post? He's doing a good job again with a very poor ROI team. He does it very well. Honest, hardworking and tactically sound football. Not great to watch but suited to limited squads.

Very limited. Look at his striking options. None of them international class - Shane Long at a stretch. Decent draw against the Danes has set them up nicely. Fair play although I still think they'll finish 3rd in that group.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Careful what you wish for? on 08:40 - Jun 11 with 2205 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Careful what you wish for? on 06:41 - Jun 11 by Ftnfwest

Good legacy

An alternative view, spot the odd one out

Roy Keane - sacked just outside Championship relegation zone
Paul Jewell - left whilst bottom of the Championship
Mick McCarthy - left whilst in the top half of the Championship
Paul Hurst - sacked whilst bottom of the Championship
Paul Lambert - finished bottom of Championship and now in League One, still in charge

Careful what you wish for? on 08:51 - Jun 11 with 2195 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Careful what you wish for? on 23:16 - Jun 10 by StokieBlue

I think both points can be true can't they?

It can be dull as fook but still be a successful campaign.

SB

Don’t disagree, however his hands are rather tied by the players available to him. Ireland had won 1 of their last 12 games prior to McCarthy taking charge, scoring 7 in that time, and failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup. Put simply they’re not very good

They’ve now won 3 in 4 under McCarthy and scored 5 in that time - the only failure to win being a draw away at a side they lost 5-1 at home to a year and a half ago to prevent them going to the World Cup. Every result has been good so far

His remit will have simply been to qualify for the next major tournament, not to be exciting. They are firmly on track as it stands
[Post edited 11 Jun 2019 8:59]

Careful what you wish for? on 08:56 - Jun 11 with 2191 viewsStokieBlue

Careful what you wish for? on 08:51 - Jun 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Don’t disagree, however his hands are rather tied by the players available to him. Ireland had won 1 of their last 12 games prior to McCarthy taking charge, scoring 7 in that time, and failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup. Put simply they’re not very good

They’ve now won 3 in 4 under McCarthy and scored 5 in that time - the only failure to win being a draw away at a side they lost 5-1 at home to a year and a half ago to prevent them going to the World Cup. Every result has been good so far

His remit will have simply been to qualify for the next major tournament, not to be exciting. They are firmly on track as it stands

One variable you've failed to factor in with regards to the previous results is that Keane was involved.

That's a huge negative performance multiplier right there.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Careful what you wish for? on 09:01 - Jun 11 with 2181 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Careful what you wish for? on 08:56 - Jun 11 by StokieBlue

One variable you've failed to factor in with regards to the previous results is that Keane was involved.

That's a huge negative performance multiplier right there.

SB

Haha, maybe this is just his Solskjaer-honeymoon period, where results have improved as a result of him and his staff being Anyone But Keane... 🙂

Careful what you wish for? on 09:05 - Jun 11 with 2172 viewsitfcjoe

Careful what you wish for? on 08:51 - Jun 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I'm not sure 1--0 and 2-0 would be considered 'good' results, they were the bare minimum in reality.

The Denmark result is an excellent one and I think they'll be better against better sides as opposed to those minnow games which are just 'no-win' situations.

10 points from 12 is a very good return and leaves them in a very strong position in a tough group

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Careful what you wish for? on 09:10 - Jun 11 with 2163 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Careful what you wish for? on 09:05 - Jun 11 by itfcjoe

I'm not sure 1--0 and 2-0 would be considered 'good' results, they were the bare minimum in reality.

The Denmark result is an excellent one and I think they'll be better against better sides as opposed to those minnow games which are just 'no-win' situations.

10 points from 12 is a very good return and leaves them in a very strong position in a tough group

They’re wins so they’re good results - not great ones but a win is a win

Careful what you wish for? on 09:27 - Jun 11 with 2152 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Careful what you wish for? on 09:10 - Jun 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

They’re wins so they’re good results - not great ones but a win is a win

The bottom line is that Ireland will be delighted to qualify.

But McCarthy is completely out of touch with any form of entertainment. I get going to Denmark and going for a draw. I get saying if you offered it to them beforehand he wouldn't get on the plane. That's fine. They are away to a much better team. Nothing wrong with trying to stifle them and nick a point.

But at home to Gibraltar, who have conceded an average of 5 goals a game in their last 20 matches? You simply have to want more. A win against Gibraltar is not a good result for them. It's the absolute worst case the fans can imagine. These are the rare games where the Irish fans turn up as massive favourites and expect to see a few goals.

They don't expect that against Denmark or even most teams. But Gibraltar, yes they do. Mick called them belligerent. Well they defend with 11 men against everyone and everyone else managed to put goals past them. Teams like Armenia and Georgia scored 4, 5, 6 past them.

McCarthy has said he was 'delighted' with the win and 'I'd have taken 1-0'. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48588767

This is where he is a PR disaster. He should be saying that they have to be more clinical because against a better side they would have been lucky to win despite dominating. He can say that he's pleased with the three points which are the main priority but that he expects more. That's fine. But he acts like they've just beaten Germany 2-0 and not beaten the international whipping boys with an own goal and a 93rd minute goal that clinched it.

Mick knows better than anyone that Gibraltar could easily have subjected him to a humiliating draw with one good set piece, which is what Ireland did to Denmark.

Robbie Brady then comes out and says exactly what McCarthy should have. A win is great but they need to do much more. No suggesting he's thrilled to beat just beat a team that didn't exist in UEFA's eyes a few years back.

I'm so glad to rid of the bloke. He sucks the fun and life out of everything. Yes, he gets results but there's got to be more demanded against a team that everyone beats heavily. Because all he will do is destroy any good will for when he eventually needs it - just like he did here.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2019 9:29]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Careful what you wish for? on 09:36 - Jun 11 with 2143 viewsSwansea_Blue

He's to football what test tube babies are to reproduction. Gets the job done, but is nowhere near as fun.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Careful what you wish for? on 09:37 - Jun 11 with 2138 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Careful what you wish for? on 09:27 - Jun 11 by WarkTheWarkITFC

The bottom line is that Ireland will be delighted to qualify.

But McCarthy is completely out of touch with any form of entertainment. I get going to Denmark and going for a draw. I get saying if you offered it to them beforehand he wouldn't get on the plane. That's fine. They are away to a much better team. Nothing wrong with trying to stifle them and nick a point.

But at home to Gibraltar, who have conceded an average of 5 goals a game in their last 20 matches? You simply have to want more. A win against Gibraltar is not a good result for them. It's the absolute worst case the fans can imagine. These are the rare games where the Irish fans turn up as massive favourites and expect to see a few goals.

They don't expect that against Denmark or even most teams. But Gibraltar, yes they do. Mick called them belligerent. Well they defend with 11 men against everyone and everyone else managed to put goals past them. Teams like Armenia and Georgia scored 4, 5, 6 past them.

McCarthy has said he was 'delighted' with the win and 'I'd have taken 1-0'. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48588767

This is where he is a PR disaster. He should be saying that they have to be more clinical because against a better side they would have been lucky to win despite dominating. He can say that he's pleased with the three points which are the main priority but that he expects more. That's fine. But he acts like they've just beaten Germany 2-0 and not beaten the international whipping boys with an own goal and a 93rd minute goal that clinched it.

Mick knows better than anyone that Gibraltar could easily have subjected him to a humiliating draw with one good set piece, which is what Ireland did to Denmark.

Robbie Brady then comes out and says exactly what McCarthy should have. A win is great but they need to do much more. No suggesting he's thrilled to beat just beat a team that didn't exist in UEFA's eyes a few years back.

I'm so glad to rid of the bloke. He sucks the fun and life out of everything. Yes, he gets results but there's got to be more demanded against a team that everyone beats heavily. Because all he will do is destroy any good will for when he eventually needs it - just like he did here.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2019 9:29]

Skim read as too long and busy, but Armenia lost 1-0 at home to Gibraltar in October

Careful what you wish for? on 09:41 - Jun 11 with 2124 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Careful what you wish for? on 09:37 - Jun 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Skim read as too long and busy, but Armenia lost 1-0 at home to Gibraltar in October

So you skimmed through it and found something pedantic? I meant teams like Armenia. Couldn't recall all the Gibraltar results.

But here you go.

Belgium 0-9
Bosnia 0-4
Estonia 0-6
Greece 0-4
Armenia 2-6
North Macedonia 0-4
Georgia 0-3

So yes, they did beat Armenia, but they did also concede 6 as I suggested.

Any team of Ireland's standard (if you base it purely on FIFA ranking) is beating them with ease. Ireland could have still drawn the match 3 minutes into injury time.

Careful what you wish for? on 09:43 - Jun 11 with 2117 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Careful what you wish for? on 09:41 - Jun 11 by WarkTheWarkITFC

So you skimmed through it and found something pedantic? I meant teams like Armenia. Couldn't recall all the Gibraltar results.

But here you go.

Belgium 0-9
Bosnia 0-4
Estonia 0-6
Greece 0-4
Armenia 2-6
North Macedonia 0-4
Georgia 0-3

So yes, they did beat Armenia, but they did also concede 6 as I suggested.

Any team of Ireland's standard (if you base it purely on FIFA ranking) is beating them with ease. Ireland could have still drawn the match 3 minutes into injury time.

But they didn’t, they won

Careful what you wish for? on 09:55 - Jun 11 with 2101 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Careful what you wish for? on 09:43 - Jun 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

But they didn’t, they won

Never go into the entertainment industry.

I know they won. It's not about winning though is it? What's the point of slogging your way to qualification and then going home having drawn 0-0 with Poland, 0-0 with Bulgaria and lost 1-0 to Italy?

At some point you've got to actually want to enjoy life. We can't all be out clubbing until 2am. We have to work. But you have to have something to look forward to. Some time where you hope to have a bit of fun. Football is no different. There are times to shut up shop, time to park the bus and time to nick a win. But there are also times to try and give the fans something to smile about.

People pay hard earned money, travel for miles and support the team. They don't expect much but they have every reason to expect a manager who tries to take it to minnows at home.

If they play badly then fine. If they play well and only win 1-0 then fine. If they play well but Gibraltar are amazing and they draw then fine.

But a manager admitting he'd have taken a 1-0 against one of the few teams in the world Ireland fans would hope they could hit some goals past?

Nobody in Ireland apart from McCarthy is smiling this morning. Everyone expected to beat Gibraltar. He's not given them anything more than they expected. Instead he's robbed them of one of the few opportunities to have a bit of fun and enjoyment.

Every other team in that group will go for the jugular in games like this to get GD up. I hope Ireland miss out by a goal.

Careful what you wish for? on 09:58 - Jun 11 with 2090 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Careful what you wish for? on 09:55 - Jun 11 by WarkTheWarkITFC

I know they won. It's not about winning though is it? What's the point of slogging your way to qualification and then going home having drawn 0-0 with Poland, 0-0 with Bulgaria and lost 1-0 to Italy?

At some point you've got to actually want to enjoy life. We can't all be out clubbing until 2am. We have to work. But you have to have something to look forward to. Some time where you hope to have a bit of fun. Football is no different. There are times to shut up shop, time to park the bus and time to nick a win. But there are also times to try and give the fans something to smile about.

People pay hard earned money, travel for miles and support the team. They don't expect much but they have every reason to expect a manager who tries to take it to minnows at home.

If they play badly then fine. If they play well and only win 1-0 then fine. If they play well but Gibraltar are amazing and they draw then fine.

But a manager admitting he'd have taken a 1-0 against one of the few teams in the world Ireland fans would hope they could hit some goals past?

Nobody in Ireland apart from McCarthy is smiling this morning. Everyone expected to beat Gibraltar. He's not given them anything more than they expected. Instead he's robbed them of one of the few opportunities to have a bit of fun and enjoyment.

Every other team in that group will go for the jugular in games like this to get GD up. I hope Ireland miss out by a goal.

It is about winning though - if they look pretty and finish 4th UEFA aren’t going to put them into Euro 2020 as a wildcard

Everyone in Ireland will be smiling if they qualify, for which they remain firmly on track

Careful what you wish for? on 10:01 - Jun 11 with 2084 viewsartsbossbeard

"I know they won. It's not about winning though is it? "

Does this mean we're not relegated now?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Careful what you wish for? on 10:02 - Jun 11 with 2075 viewsitfcjoe

I'm sure the Irish fans had a better time at Euro 2012 where they lost 1-3, 0-4 and 0-2 and went home early than they did in 2008 and 2016.

Goal difference is very unlikely to matter, it is to do with head to heads etc.

They did the job, it wasn't pretty but nothing to be gained from a game like that - had they gone for the jugular and conceded early they'd have been even more of a struggle to break them down.

I'm sure Ireland fans aren't that bothered they didn't win 5-0, this isn't the games where Mick needs to earn his money and if he qualifies them and they get to jump on planes, trains and automobiles to the continent they will be more than happy and not even think about this game.

Look at their record over last 2-3 qualifying campaigns, it's been embarrassing

Careful what you wish for? on 10:05 - Jun 11 with 2060 viewsartsbossbeard

Careful what you wish for? on 10:02 - Jun 11 by itfcjoe

I'm sure the Irish fans had a better time at Euro 2012 where they lost 1-3, 0-4 and 0-2 and went home early than they did in 2008 and 2016.

Goal difference is very unlikely to matter, it is to do with head to heads etc.

They did the job, it wasn't pretty but nothing to be gained from a game like that - had they gone for the jugular and conceded early they'd have been even more of a struggle to break them down.

I'm sure Ireland fans aren't that bothered they didn't win 5-0, this isn't the games where Mick needs to earn his money and if he qualifies them and they get to jump on planes, trains and automobiles to the continent they will be more than happy and not even think about this game.

Look at their record over last 2-3 qualifying campaigns, it's been embarrassing

There wasn't the same angst at the weekend when the ROI fought back to get a draw against Denmark.

Mick has certainly done a number on some Town fans.

Edit: Mick is certainly still doing a number on some Town fans.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Careful what you wish for? on 10:06 - Jun 11 with 2055 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Careful what you wish for? on 09:58 - Jun 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It is about winning though - if they look pretty and finish 4th UEFA aren’t going to put them into Euro 2020 as a wildcard

Everyone in Ireland will be smiling if they qualify, for which they remain firmly on track

Because, like us getting in the playoffs, there's a chance you could do something.

But they won't. Just like we didn't in the playoffs.

If winning is the most important thing. I'm sure we all agree. We'd have rather not have been relegated.

But when you play f*cking Rotherham at home who have lost every away game that season and you need a 94th minute McGoldrick 30 yarder to nick a point off them because you've started with 5 defenders and 3 defensive midfielders then what actually is the point of even going to football?

There have to be some times when you dare to dream of more than just scraping a win past a team that everybody else of your standard destroys.

If you played Tennis against someone you were much better than would you take any pleasure from winning 7-6 on a tie breaker? There's nothing wrong with that being the one time when you know you'll win but want to win comfortably and enjoy yourself.

Careful what you wish for? on 10:09 - Jun 11 with 2035 viewsitfcjoe

Careful what you wish for? on 10:06 - Jun 11 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Because, like us getting in the playoffs, there's a chance you could do something.

If winning is the most important thing. I'm sure we all agree. We'd have rather not have been relegated.

But when you play f*cking Rotherham at home who have lost every away game that season and you need a 94th minute McGoldrick 30 yarder to nick a point off them because you've started with 5 defenders and 3 defensive midfielders then what actually is the point of even going to football?

There have to be some times when you dare to dream of more than just scraping a win past a team that everybody else of your standard destroys.

If you played Tennis against someone you were much better than would you take any pleasure from winning 7-6 on a tie breaker? There's nothing wrong with that being the one time when you know you'll win but want to win comfortably and enjoy yourself.

"5 defenders and 3 defensive midfielders"

Bart
Chambers
Webster
Berra
Kenlock (Varney)
Skuse
Bishop (Williams)
Ward (Best)
McGoldrick
Lawrence
Sears

4 defenders, 1 defensive midfielder

Careful what you wish for? on 10:12 - Jun 11 with 2016 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Careful what you wish for? on 10:06 - Jun 11 by WarkTheWarkITFC

You have to dare to dream - and Ireland fans are currently dreaming of being at Euro 2020

Careful what you wish for? on 11:08 - Jun 11 with 1964 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Careful what you wish for? on 10:09 - Jun 11 by itfcjoe

"5 defenders and 3 defensive midfielders"

Bart
Chambers
Webster
Berra
Kenlock (Varney)
Skuse
Bishop (Williams)
Ward (Best)
McGoldrick
Lawrence
Sears

4 defenders, 1 defensive midfielder

Confused the two horrible boring performances against Rotherham. The 1-0 defeat at home to them was the one I was remembering.

33Bialkowski
4Chambers
5Smith
6Berra
3Knudsen
22Douglas
8Skuse
19Hyam
11Pitman
9Murphy
20Sears

So 8 defensive players and not 9 as I stated. But the point still stands. Douglas, Skuse and Hyam in midfield at home to a team that started the day in the relegation places.

For added context https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35791174

A win would have seen us a point outside the playoffs with 8 games to go. Instead, it was a considerable 4 points for that stage of the season. You have to try and win games like that.

We set up to not lose.

[Post edited 11 Jun 2019 11:10]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024