Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nolan 20:21 - Mar 9 with 8034 viewsStirlingArcher

So, how many here are now 180 on their previous verdict of him being pants?

seems to be stepping up nicely now
Nolan on 20:29 - Mar 9 with 7109 viewsBLUEBEAT

Only taken him about 7 months to make the step up. Just in time to step back down again.

Well done Nolan!

Poll: W or W

Nolan on 20:31 - Mar 9 with 7094 viewsNthsuffolkblue

My previous verdict was he has the potential to become the new Matt Holland but potential alone is not enough. He needs to prove that potential in reality and to do so he needs a decent run in a team that is not very poor.

Therefore, my view has not changed at all.

For what it is worth my views on the other Hurst permanent signings are:

Nsiala: poor and out of his depth. Will never be a Championship defender.
Donacien: same as Nsiala.
Edwards: Skilful and has some potential but needs more consistency. Maybe playing in a better orgainsed side would help him.
Harrison and Jackson: some potential. Need to play in a side creating chances and as one of 2 strikers. Neither has had that opportunity while fully fit and over a period of matches. Perhaps Jackson will now but doesn't look like Lambert fancies him.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Nolan on 20:43 - Mar 9 with 7035 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I always back him.

Pleased to see him doing well.

Amy Downes owes him an apology.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Nolan on 21:20 - Mar 9 with 6904 viewsMrTown

I think there has always been a v good player in Nolan, it doesn't take a footballing genius to see he has technical ability and always has.

But in recent matches he seems to be playing a lot more positive, looking for a forward killer pass or breaking into the box which he simply wasn't doing at the start of the season.

Absolutely chuffed though and is looking a v good footballer right now.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Nolan on 22:17 - Mar 9 with 6750 viewscbower

I have criticised him heavily and, quite frankly, his performances deserved it. Technical ability alone is never enough. He all too often seemed to be playing within himself and, alongdide Jackson, he was our 'big' signing who arrived on the back of an excellent season. I am very happy he is starting to show more, actually influence games and get into the opponent's box on a regular basis. Unfotunately, it has taken time and with Hurst's recruitment strategy relying on lower league buys, I guess he must have been thinking Nolan (who is no kid and with whom he worked with extensively in the past) would be one that would click straight away. As others have said, he may well be a big player for us in L1 next year. Double figures from midfield would be mighty valuable.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2019 22:18]

bluescouser

Nolan on 22:28 - Mar 9 with 6686 viewsBluefish

Everyone at Rotherham saw the bloke had talent, others chose to jump on the blame everything on Paul hurst bandwagon. Same old story with Ipswich fans inventing what they want to believe.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Nolan on 22:42 - Mar 9 with 6636 viewsnshearman1

Nolan on 22:17 - Mar 9 by cbower

I have criticised him heavily and, quite frankly, his performances deserved it. Technical ability alone is never enough. He all too often seemed to be playing within himself and, alongdide Jackson, he was our 'big' signing who arrived on the back of an excellent season. I am very happy he is starting to show more, actually influence games and get into the opponent's box on a regular basis. Unfotunately, it has taken time and with Hurst's recruitment strategy relying on lower league buys, I guess he must have been thinking Nolan (who is no kid and with whom he worked with extensively in the past) would be one that would click straight away. As others have said, he may well be a big player for us in L1 next year. Double figures from midfield would be mighty valuable.

Totally agree with this, and within this context I'm happy to say I'm one of them. The QPR game was a real low-point, and really Nolan should have come good before now. But now the Judge/Bishop/Nolan midfield looks better balanced and much more combative and attacking than any other combination I've seen this season.
BTW, the tackling right across the team was SO much better - second half at least - than I've seen it all season.
Nolan on 22:47 - Mar 9 with 6613 viewsPJH

Nolan on 22:28 - Mar 9 by Bluefish

Everyone at Rotherham saw the bloke had talent, others chose to jump on the blame everything on Paul hurst bandwagon. Same old story with Ipswich fans inventing what they want to believe.

He did look quite good in his first game (at Rotherham) and then produced next to nothing for the next few months.
He has now started to look better and had a very good second half today.
He was heralded as the star man of Hurst's Lower League Allstars but has only now started to show that he might be-in my opinion.
Login to get fewer ads

Nolan on 22:49 - Mar 9 with 6602 viewspositivity

some key itfc players took a while to come good (eg darryl murphy, mauricio taricco), hoping nolan may be another one (same with jackson and harrison).

even jewell's disastrous reign gave us cressy and chambers, so wouldn't be surprised if a few of hurst's buys prove shrewd in hindsight

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Nolan on 22:49 - Mar 9 with 6598 viewsBluefish

Nolan on 22:42 - Mar 9 by nshearman1

Totally agree with this, and within this context I'm happy to say I'm one of them. The QPR game was a real low-point, and really Nolan should have come good before now. But now the Judge/Bishop/Nolan midfield looks better balanced and much more combative and attacking than any other combination I've seen this season.
BTW, the tackling right across the team was SO much better - second half at least - than I've seen it all season.

The forest game was another low point but he clearly had talent. The issue was that he was lost being the one player trying to fill the vast gap between cm and the striker

Edit: I foolishly put an s on the end of striker
[Post edited 9 Mar 2019 22:50]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Nolan on 23:16 - Mar 9 with 6496 viewsGuthrum

He was rubbish, earlier in the season.

Whether it be change of personnel, style, system or just becoming more comfortable, Nolan is definitely growing into his role.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Nolan on 00:20 - Mar 10 with 6361 viewsRegencyBlue

He is improving without doubt.

It is equally true that he was rubbish for Hurst, and Lamberts early days!

Personally I don’t see the point in pretending otherwise.
The true TWTD numbskulls berated Nolan..... on 00:31 - Mar 10 with 6336 viewsunstableblue

.... when in reality he has never been really terrible in any game.

What any sane football watcher could see, even in his worse performances, was that he was a classy footballer.

He is now settling and people can see it, and with Judge and Bishop actually has outlets.

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Nolan on 01:53 - Mar 10 with 6252 viewsBlueBadger

If he can carry on his form into next season and onwards, I'll happily eat my words about him being 'the new Lee Martin'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The true TWTD numbskulls berated Nolan..... on 03:19 - Mar 10 with 6206 viewsSuperblue95

The true TWTD numbskulls berated Nolan..... on 00:31 - Mar 10 by unstableblue

.... when in reality he has never been really terrible in any game.

What any sane football watcher could see, even in his worse performances, was that he was a classy footballer.

He is now settling and people can see it, and with Judge and Bishop actually has outlets.

People are as quick to praise players for having a few decent games as they are to lambast them for having a few poor ones.

Maybe people should judge a player on more than just their last 5 games played

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Nolan on 03:29 - Mar 10 with 6197 viewsBonchosBicycle

Always thought the same of him as I have most of Hurst's signings: That they all had talent but needed time to find their feet. Not easy to do in a constantly losing side, surrounded by so many others trying to do the same thing. I think they'll come good in the end ; especially in L1.
Nolan on 05:20 - Mar 10 with 6164 viewsbraveblue

Anything Hurst did was bad. If Evans had not sold all the talent, the senior players had bought in and the new players were introduced slowly it would have been ok. Usual Evans decision making and football expertise.
Nolan on 08:00 - Mar 10 with 5940 viewsFixed_It

Nolan on 05:20 - Mar 10 by braveblue

Anything Hurst did was bad. If Evans had not sold all the talent, the senior players had bought in and the new players were introduced slowly it would have been ok. Usual Evans decision making and football expertise.

Evans did not make those decisions. The manager did.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

The true TWTD numbskulls berated Nolan..... on 08:04 - Mar 10 with 5928 viewsJohnny_Boy

The true TWTD numbskulls berated Nolan..... on 03:19 - Mar 10 by Superblue95

People are as quick to praise players for having a few decent games as they are to lambast them for having a few poor ones.

Maybe people should judge a player on more than just their last 5 games played

My particular favourite are the ones gospelly proclaiming a player isn't good enough to get a starting place - just because a previous manager happened to say that a year ago.
Nolan on 08:25 - Mar 10 with 5828 viewsOsborneOneNil

Nolan on 20:43 - Mar 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

I always back him.

I was delighted when we signed him, then disappointed with his perfomances, but not because they were poor, they were not. It was because he had much more to offer, and it’s great to see he’s now showing this.

Amy Downes opinion of him on the podcast was simply embarrassing. Highlighted superbly her zero knowledge of football. Guess she will start calling him ‘Jonsy’ soon though, now he’s good.
Nolan on 11:07 - Mar 10 with 5588 viewsSomethingBlue

Should be a big player next season. Imagine Bishop, Nolan and Judge together in L1 ...

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Nolan on 11:23 - Mar 10 with 5547 viewsDubtractor

Nolan on 22:17 - Mar 9 by cbower

This.

It is brilliant that he has settled in and should hopefully be a big player for us next season, but he was really very poor indeed earlier in the season.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Nolan on 11:28 - Mar 10 with 5519 viewsLord_Lucan

You can only comment and judge on what you see.

Tarricco took a while to get going.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Nolan on 11:31 - Mar 10 with 5512 viewsWickets

As i have said on here before ,their is a lot to like about Jon, i have seen a decent player in him since Rotherham . Yes he struggled to adjust at a time when the whole team was struggling but even when not performing he never hide as a few others did . Lets all hope he can become a big player going forward.
Nolan on 13:53 - Mar 12 with 5142 viewsamydownes

Nolan on 20:43 - Mar 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

I always back him.

You're absolutely right, I do.

I wasn't a fan of his from games earlier in the season, but think he's been excellent recently and more than deserved the goal Saturday.

I made sure to highlight this in my recent blog :-)

http://diaryofatractorgirl.blogspot.com/2019/03/ipswich-town-take-point-away-to-

I've never claimed to be a great analyst of the game so please note this blog is simply my view of Saturday's game.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024