Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth 16:09 - Jul 4 with 5497 viewsSteve_M

as well as massively overpaying for the player:

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/life-changing-money-and-lost-faith-led-to-david-

Sheepshanks advice to ME on spending when he took over must have been reliving the halcyon days of Summer 2001.

The amount of money we frittered away, relative to what the rest of the division was spending when compared to what ME spends now is infuriating.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 16:12 - Jul 4 with 5439 viewsAlan_Handsome

Could Norris just be saying that (or at least exagerating) to save face with Plymouth fans who felt let down by him leaving? Perhaps he thought if he said the offer was HUGE that they'd be a bit more understanding? Not saying that is the case, just offering an alternative...for the sake of balance.

You can't polish a turd....but you can sprinkle it with glitter!

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 16:14 - Jul 4 with 5407 viewsSteve_M

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 16:12 - Jul 4 by Alan_Handsome

Could Norris just be saying that (or at least exagerating) to save face with Plymouth fans who felt let down by him leaving? Perhaps he thought if he said the offer was HUGE that they'd be a bit more understanding? Not saying that is the case, just offering an alternative...for the sake of balance.

No, why would he need to? They got a good fee from the deal.

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 16:18 - Jul 4 with 5380 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

He could have been on a pretty small wage at Argyle.. Obviously we didn't need to go both barrels in getting him to sign (Hindsight is a wonderful thing) but say he was on 1k at Plymouth.. 5k a week wouldn't be a stretch (even then) for a championship player.
on 16:26 - Jul 4 with 5321 views_

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 16:27 - Jul 4 with 5325 viewsitfcjoe

The transfer fee was what was wrong because of the sell on, his wages taking a big increase was probably right because he was good player in this division.

But for his injury, he would have been a good signing here - a really top pro and bloke and on pitch leader with his professionalism and will to win

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 16:27 - Jul 4 with 5315 viewsArcher4721

Indeed and that transfer cost us nearly £3 million in fees too for a bang average player who repaid us by not signing a new deal (after saying all season he would)therefore allowing himself to leave for nothing.
So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 16:34 - Jul 4 with 5281 viewsPhilTWTD

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 16:18 - Jul 4 by King_of_Portman_Rd

He could have been on a pretty small wage at Argyle.. Obviously we didn't need to go both barrels in getting him to sign (Hindsight is a wonderful thing) but say he was on 1k at Plymouth.. 5k a week wouldn't be a stretch (even then) for a championship player.

Yeah, he would have been on not a lot at Plymouth, had joined them having left Bolton before he'd established himself in first-team football.

The fee of something like £2.3m , if I remember rightly, was, as Joe says, partly as Bolton had a 50 per cent sell-on clause but also because Town kept pushing and pushing rather than tactically walking away when their offer was refused. Bidding against ourselves is how I have heard it described and that new owner ME wasn't overly impressed with the approach.

This post has been edited by an administrator
So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 16:44 - Jul 4 with 5178 viewsRadlett_blue

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 16:34 - Jul 4 by PhilTWTD

Yeah, he would have been on not a lot at Plymouth, had joined them having left Bolton before he'd established himself in first-team football.

The fee of something like £2.3m , if I remember rightly, was, as Joe says, partly as Bolton had a 50 per cent sell-on clause but also because Town kept pushing and pushing rather than tactically walking away when their offer was refused. Bidding against ourselves is how I have heard it described and that new owner ME wasn't overly impressed with the approach.

Jim seemed desperate to sign him & he ended up grossly over-paying for a pretty average tier 2 midfield player. However, it took Evans a long time to learn - he still let Keane spend £ms on players who weren't much of an upgrade on Norris.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 16:47 - Jul 4 with 5147 viewsPhilTWTD

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 16:44 - Jul 4 by Radlett_blue

Jim seemed desperate to sign him & he ended up grossly over-paying for a pretty average tier 2 midfield player. However, it took Evans a long time to learn - he still let Keane spend £ms on players who weren't much of an upgrade on Norris.

Norris was a decent Championship player, not sure we got as much out of him as we ought to have done, although he had one or two serious injuries from what I recall.

By the time RK came in it was ME in charge of the deals rather than David Sheepshanks as was the case in the early days after the takeover.
So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 16:52 - Jul 4 with 5112 viewsSteve_M

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 16:47 - Jul 4 by PhilTWTD

Norris was a decent Championship player, not sure we got as much out of him as we ought to have done, although he had one or two serious injuries from what I recall.

By the time RK came in it was ME in charge of the deals rather than David Sheepshanks as was the case in the early days after the takeover.

Yes, decent but not a marquee signing then or at any point since. Regardless of the sell-on clause it was all just so incoherent. Especially given we seemed to have signed alternative midfield targets before that deal was done. And then Magilton signed a few more central midfielders...

RK claimed he didn't need to make wholesale changes to the squad and then did anyway. Just such a waste.

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 16:58 - Jul 4 with 5060 viewsPhilTWTD

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 16:52 - Jul 4 by Steve_M

Yes, decent but not a marquee signing then or at any point since. Regardless of the sell-on clause it was all just so incoherent. Especially given we seemed to have signed alternative midfield targets before that deal was done. And then Magilton signed a few more central midfielders...

RK claimed he didn't need to make wholesale changes to the squad and then did anyway. Just such a waste.

No, not a big name signing in that sense but certainly a player brought in to be one of the first names on the teamsheet. Agree, probably too many people came in at the same time, although I think the team needed a lot of strengthening at that point in order to seriously challenge.

Incoherent is probably the best way of describing Keane's approach across the board. As you say, a waste. That was the time when ME's money should have got us up, now the division has - barring a season like Huddersfield's last year - probably moved on too far.
So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 16:58 - Jul 4 with 5063 viewsolimar

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 16:34 - Jul 4 by PhilTWTD

I remember Sheepshanks at the time mentioning that it was the first time ME had got involved in transfer negotiations as he had apparently gone to Bolton to persuade them to lower their 50% requirement- basically persuading them that the 50% was earning them far more than they needed, or expected, for a player of Norris stature, but was preventing a deal from being done.
I thought that Bolton had reduced their requirements so that they could get, say, 30% of something, rather than 50% of nothing.

I thought at the time that we really needed a forward and we should have covered the issue by doing a double deal for Ebanks-Blake- overpaying on Norris to fit his sell-on, on the basis that Plymouth would give us first refusal on SEB, who had a pretty low sell-on clause. That way we would have overpaid on one, underpaid on the other and got what we needed.

As it is, the better player of the two was the cheap one and the one we didnt get....
So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 17:05 - Jul 4 with 5016 viewsPhilTWTD

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 16:58 - Jul 4 by olimar

I remember Sheepshanks at the time mentioning that it was the first time ME had got involved in transfer negotiations as he had apparently gone to Bolton to persuade them to lower their 50% requirement- basically persuading them that the 50% was earning them far more than they needed, or expected, for a player of Norris stature, but was preventing a deal from being done.
I thought that Bolton had reduced their requirements so that they could get, say, 30% of something, rather than 50% of nothing.

I thought at the time that we really needed a forward and we should have covered the issue by doing a double deal for Ebanks-Blake- overpaying on Norris to fit his sell-on, on the basis that Plymouth would give us first refusal on SEB, who had a pretty low sell-on clause. That way we would have overpaid on one, underpaid on the other and got what we needed.

As it is, the better player of the two was the cheap one and the one we didnt get....

It was Sheepy who negotiated the 50 per cent down through his friendship with Phil Gartside, although would still have been a significant percentage which pushed the fee up beyond what it would otherwise have been.

Plymouth: Norris Move Holloway's Fault 6th Feb 2008 17:00
Plymouth chairman Paul Stapleton has blamed promises made by former manager Ian Holloway for David Norris leaving the Pilgrims. The midfielder joined the Blues after a lengthy transfer saga on the final day of the transfer window for a fee of £2 million. 0

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 17:10 - Jul 4 with 4986 viewsIllinoisblue

It's maddening, truly. At a guess Norris went from 1500 to 7500 a week. Staggeringly bad contract dealings. Let's not talk about Priskin either...

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 17:11 - Jul 4 with 4961 viewshomer_123

Suffice to say that he wasn't the only one on silly money.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 17:11 - Jul 4 with 4952 viewshomer_123

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 17:10 - Jul 4 by Illinoisblue

It's maddening, truly. At a guess Norris went from 1500 to 7500 a week. Staggeringly bad contract dealings. Let's not talk about Priskin either...

Or Alex Bruce...

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 17:20 - Jul 4 with 4898 viewsIllinoisblue

on 16:26 - Jul 4 by _

He did at least score a few goals unlike our current midfielders. 13 in 103 league appearances.

62 - 78 - 81

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 17:25 - Jul 4 with 4866 viewsSteve_M

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 17:20 - Jul 4 by Illinoisblue

He did at least score a few goals unlike our current midfielders. 13 in 103 league appearances.

Although mainly due to one season where he didn't have any responsibility to track back and just had a free role. For a player so limited on the ball it was kind of a waste, especial when a much better midfielder in Leadbitter was moved to accommodate him - but then that was Jewell.

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 18:03 - Jul 4 with 4731 viewsBlueBadger

Him, Lee Martin and Paul Taylor are the poster boys for the aimless waste of the early years of the Evans era.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 18:08 - Jul 4 with 4712 viewsMullet

Wish we'd got Halmosi back then too. Was also a big fan of Buzsacky until he got Jim sacked at QPR.

Also as mentioned SEB then rather than when we got him would have helped massively.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 18:18 - Jul 4 with 4666 viewsIllinoisblue

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 18:03 - Jul 4 by BlueBadger

Him, Lee Martin and Paul Taylor are the poster boys for the aimless waste of the early years of the Evans era.

wages and fees for those two wasters alone are probably more than Mick's spent in 5 years.

62 - 78 - 81

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 18:42 - Jul 4 with 4577 viewsMach_foreignBlue

on 16:26 - Jul 4 by _

Our 'skipper' on the day when we got humiliated by Norwich 1-5. Held the club to ransom over the new contract yet Jewell never stripped him off the captaincy.

Sh*te, overpaid player but the manager who had signed him still never blamed himself for the transfers he made, for the crap players he brought in.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/jim-i-ve-never-made-a-bad-signing-1-168822
So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 20:04 - Jul 4 with 4406 viewsBlueyandCrazy

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 18:03 - Jul 4 by BlueBadger

Extremely harsh, whils Norris didn't live up to expectations he was streets ahead of those two.

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 20:45 - Jul 4 with 4316 viewsSuperfrans

So, we paid David Norris five times what he was on at Plymouth on 16:58 - Jul 4 by PhilTWTD

No, not a big name signing in that sense but certainly a player brought in to be one of the first names on the teamsheet. Agree, probably too many people came in at the same time, although I think the team needed a lot of strengthening at that point in order to seriously challenge.

Incoherent is probably the best way of describing Keane's approach across the board. As you say, a waste. That was the time when ME's money should have got us up, now the division has - barring a season like Huddersfield's last year - probably moved on too far.

Phil - have you ever thought about writing a book about the Evans years? It would be a really good read and you have had consistently more access than probably anyone else in that period, as the other local journalists have come and gone.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024