Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Harry Kane is he world class? 12:36 - Jul 12 with 11323 viewschristiand

I know this topic started a massive debate last time, but interested to see if people have changed their view for or against? I'm still one of those not convinced. Yes, he is currently top scorer in the World Cup with 6 goals (including 3 penalties) and favourite for the Golden Boot, but I just don't put him in the same category as someone like France's Mbappe, although appreciate he is a different type of striker. Kane has certainly done some good things in this World Cup, but equally he been anonymous in games too - last night being a good example. I'm not trolling, just interested in people's thoughts.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Harry Kane is he world class? on 12:40 - Jul 12 with 4959 viewsJ2BLUE

Kane has done it consistently in the Prem and now at a major tournament.

Mbappe has done ok in the French league. No argument that he's going to be a superstar but to use him right now to compare to Kane is odd IMO.

As for your question, i'm not sure.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Harry Kane is he world class? on 12:40 - Jul 12 with 4962 viewsGarv

I said at the start of the tourney that we were pinning too many hopes on him and that he could flop. Obviously can't say he's flopped as he's likely to win the GB but you're right to reference the lack of goals from open play, and clearly last night he wasn't on form. Lacked mobility (thought that the whole tournament) and should have done better with both chances.

Don't see how we can be world class.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Harry Kane is he world class? on 12:48 - Jul 12 with 4922 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Harry Kane is he world class? on 12:40 - Jul 12 by Garv

I said at the start of the tourney that we were pinning too many hopes on him and that he could flop. Obviously can't say he's flopped as he's likely to win the GB but you're right to reference the lack of goals from open play, and clearly last night he wasn't on form. Lacked mobility (thought that the whole tournament) and should have done better with both chances.

Don't see how we can be world class.

Define world class?

I dont think any striker could be judged as world class based on their WC performance.

I do think Harry Kane is world class, his stats speak for themselves.

Golden boot certainly cant be classed as a flop.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Harry Kane is he world class? on 12:49 - Jul 12 with 4912 viewsSuperblue95

Hugely talented - yes
Fantastic goal scorer - yes
World class - no

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Harry Kane is he world class? on 12:49 - Jul 12 with 4906 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

No striker has put in a world class performance at this world cup.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Harry Kane is he world class? on 12:50 - Jul 12 with 4901 viewsHerbivore

I do feel sometimes English players are held to different standards. CR7 scored a penalty, a free-kick and benefited from a keeping howler and was being hailed as the greatest of his generation. Kane scores 6 and suddenly it's dissected so he's not actually that good. He scored more goals than anyone in 2017, something like 56 in 52 games. He's about to win the Golden Boot after leading an unfancied side to the semis of the World Cup. I'm not sure what more he needs to do to be considered world class, especially if someone like Mbappe is now considered to be in that bracket despite having a far, far less impressive goalscoring record than Kane.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Harry Kane is he world class? on 12:50 - Jul 12 with 4898 viewsBasuco

He has good movement off the ball and is great at attacking space in the box, but is very inconsistent, which ties in with my other opinion that he has not looked fit at the World Cup. Inconsistency is a sign of a player who who does not put enough effort into their basic core fitness, in my opinion if he could raise his stamina levels and generally improve fitness he would be a much better player. So not world class but has it in him to progress if he is prepared to work on stamina issues.
Harry Kane is he world class? on 12:51 - Jul 12 with 4887 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Harry Kane is he world class? on 12:50 - Jul 12 by Herbivore

I do feel sometimes English players are held to different standards. CR7 scored a penalty, a free-kick and benefited from a keeping howler and was being hailed as the greatest of his generation. Kane scores 6 and suddenly it's dissected so he's not actually that good. He scored more goals than anyone in 2017, something like 56 in 52 games. He's about to win the Golden Boot after leading an unfancied side to the semis of the World Cup. I'm not sure what more he needs to do to be considered world class, especially if someone like Mbappe is now considered to be in that bracket despite having a far, far less impressive goalscoring record than Kane.

Great post.

Login to get fewer ads

Harry Kane is he world class? on 12:52 - Jul 12 with 4879 viewsHerbivore

Harry Kane is he world class? on 12:50 - Jul 12 by Basuco

He has good movement off the ball and is great at attacking space in the box, but is very inconsistent, which ties in with my other opinion that he has not looked fit at the World Cup. Inconsistency is a sign of a player who who does not put enough effort into their basic core fitness, in my opinion if he could raise his stamina levels and generally improve fitness he would be a much better player. So not world class but has it in him to progress if he is prepared to work on stamina issues.

That's a terrible analysis, sorry mate.

Harry Kane is he world class? on 12:52 - Jul 12 with 4880 viewsBrianTablet

I think the problem is that he has a different role in the England side.
He has been our target man and spends most of the match trying to win headers, holding the ball up and 'winning' free kicks. This has taken over from what he is best at, which is making runs, etc from open play.
I think this is different from what he can do at Spurs because they have Eriksen and Son, both of whom are creative. We don't have that (yet).

I personally don't think he's had a great world cup and there is more to come. I think he will be 'world class', and he's only young and has a long future ahead of him.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Harry Kane is he world class? on 12:55 - Jul 12 with 4862 viewsDarth_Koont

I think it's the same discussion that tends to come up when they say Ronaldo or Messi aren't great because they "didn't turn up in a big game" or had a quiet tournament.

These things have to be measured over time and seasons to create a weight of evidence, not just cherry-picking small points in time. On that score, I think Kane is the only current English player who could reasonably be called world-class.

Pronouns: He/Him

Harry Kane is he world class? on 12:56 - Jul 12 with 4857 viewsBluefish

Harry Kane is the best number 9 in the world. He is obviously world class and we would go nuts about him if he was playing for another country. Mbappe is not proven for me yet, he has been impressive but that is because he is young and exciting. The commentators have been far too OTT about him.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Harry Kane is he world class? on 12:58 - Jul 12 with 4835 viewsHerbivore

Harry Kane is he world class? on 12:55 - Jul 12 by Darth_Koont

I think it's the same discussion that tends to come up when they say Ronaldo or Messi aren't great because they "didn't turn up in a big game" or had a quiet tournament.

These things have to be measured over time and seasons to create a weight of evidence, not just cherry-picking small points in time. On that score, I think Kane is the only current English player who could reasonably be called world-class.

Yep. His goalscoring record over the past 3 years is phenomenal and he's just scored 6 at a World Cup. The attempts to discredit that are, frankly, bizarre.

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:01 - Jul 12 with 4808 viewspoppiesman

Last night Kane was in a playing role just behind Sterling and then Rashford.
That is not where his strength lies. He has to play up top as number one striker as that is where he is best suited. Wasn't helped at all by both Sterling and Rashford not actually creating anything for Kane to feed on.
Yes he missed that chance in the first half, but I can't recall any other clear cut chances he missed in the competition.
And he outperformed Ronaldo and Messi in this World Cup, so if anyone says Kane isn't world class based on this, then quite simply you can't say Ronaldo or Messi are either.
So in answer to your question, Yes I do think Kane is world class, and his record at all levels prove it.
Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:02 - Jul 12 with 4797 viewsBasuco

Harry Kane is he world class? on 12:52 - Jul 12 by Herbivore

That's a terrible analysis, sorry mate.

Thanks, but just my rambling thoughts.
Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:04 - Jul 12 with 4778 viewschristiand

Harry Kane is he world class? on 12:58 - Jul 12 by Herbivore

Yep. His goalscoring record over the past 3 years is phenomenal and he's just scored 6 at a World Cup. The attempts to discredit that are, frankly, bizarre.

Interestingly, reading the replies it’s not as clear-cut as you portray. There’s no doubting the stats you make reference to, but that alone isn’t convincing some he can be defined as truly world class...yet!

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:06 - Jul 12 with 4763 viewsHerbivore

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:04 - Jul 12 by christiand

Interestingly, reading the replies it’s not as clear-cut as you portray. There’s no doubting the stats you make reference to, but that alone isn’t convincing some he can be defined as truly world class...yet!

Then those people are mooks.

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:08 - Jul 12 with 4755 viewschristiand

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:06 - Jul 12 by Herbivore

or perhaps they are expecting a bit more to his game?

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:08 - Jul 12 with 4753 viewsBluefish

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:06 - Jul 12 by Herbivore

I find it funny that no matter the football topic or the team the same people seem to get it right and the same ones are miles off. I wonder sometimes what these people are doing at football

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:10 - Jul 12 with 4742 viewschristiand

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:08 - Jul 12 by Bluefish

I find it funny that no matter the football topic or the team the same people seem to get it right and the same ones are miles off. I wonder sometimes what these people are doing at football

In your opinion?

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:11 - Jul 12 with 4739 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:08 - Jul 12 by christiand

or perhaps they are expecting a bit more to his game?

I cant understand some peoples obsession with putting him down. Its a little odd to me, but each to their own.

I certainly have read any compelling replies to support the idea of him not being world class.

A couple of people suggest Mbappe is world class due to a couple of good games and a poorer goals return. But Kane is not, for no specific reason.

I guess its subjective, as no one can define what it takes to be viewed as world class.

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:11 - Jul 12 with 4739 viewsReusersTown

People overanalyse the term so much it's become ridiculous. It's just another term for very good.
Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:11 - Jul 12 with 4728 viewsBluefish

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:11 - Jul 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

I cant understand some peoples obsession with putting him down. Its a little odd to me, but each to their own.

I certainly have read any compelling replies to support the idea of him not being world class.

A couple of people suggest Mbappe is world class due to a couple of good games and a poorer goals return. But Kane is not, for no specific reason.

I guess its subjective, as no one can define what it takes to be viewed as world class.

I am the definitive in these types of matters

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:12 - Jul 12 with 4723 viewsDanFord

Only the English could question the Golden Boot winner. We have pretty much ZERO attacking threat away from Kane! Alli has been injured and out of form, Sterling is out of form and on a horrid run of no goals in 3 years. Kane has been given treatment from every team we've faced and marked out as the danger man and has 6 goals, despite not looking like he's right in the last two, where he seems to be carrying a knock or completely drained of energy. He's one of the top scorers in the hardest league in the world every season. Of course he is World Class. He's a World Class striker. He doesn't beat 8 players or score wonder goals that often, but neither did Lineker, Klose, Vialli or Batistuta (even though Batigol didn't mind the odd 30 yarder). How can Kane not be World Class! If he isn't then it means that only Messi and Ronaldo are and everyone else is just very good. Mbappe has played Australia, Peru, Denmark, a poor Argentina defence and Uruguay, got half the goals, but he's quick so that romanticises him.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:17 - Jul 12 with 4691 viewschristiand

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:11 - Jul 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

I’m certainly not putting Kane down. However, I like to see what people think and their reasons behind it. For all the stats Herbivore has rightly highlighted about Kane’s goalscoring record there should be no doubt he is, but there does remain that element of doubt or ‘he’s not World Class...yet!’ Just find this type of topic makes for compelling reading.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024