Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I do worry about the future of Portman Road 15:08 - Feb 27 with 12284 viewsGavTWTD

If this takeover happens, I think there's a real possibility of them wanting to own their own ground. I have little to base this on, apart from it costs a lot of money to keep the ground maintained. If they are looking at adding value then a new ground is one way of doing it. Happy to be corrected as Portman Road is important to me as a fan.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 19:43 - Feb 27 with 1655 viewsDubtractor

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 19:29 - Feb 27 by MedwayTractor

The user limitation will be either a restrictive covenant attached to the freehold title, or a specific clause in the ground lease. In either case, it is in the power of IBC to remove or adjust the limitation, in order to make redevelopment possible for an alternative use.

From the Council's standpoint, It would make most sense to take a surrender of the unexpired term of the headlease, taking vacant possession of the site. The Club should be able to negotiate a surrender premium, calculated on the basis of alternative use (eg housing). The premium would offset the new owners' purchase costs, or offset the cost of the new stadium.

I posted an alternative view for a new stadium site a few days ago, the sugar beet site on Sproughton Road, or what's left undeveloped. It is owned by IBC, so could form part of the PR lon lease deal. It has almost immediate road access from the A14 and the railway forms part of the site boundary, so giving the option for a match day rail link.

I wouldn't think there is enough space left on the Sproughton site for a football stadium now. Plus, whilst access from the a14 (with massive junction improvement) would be OK, the access from town for traffic would be awful.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 19:52 - Feb 27 with 1626 viewsGeorge03

Gav surely this will be a concern if we get promoted into the premier league. Surely they are not looking at building a new ground while we are a lg1 or championship club or are they?
I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 19:58 - Feb 27 with 1619 viewsArnieM

OP: I think I might look at it another way .

I’d worry more about this Club’s survival under the current owner , than the PR ground, under the new owners.

Club survival vs current stadium survival

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 20:02 - Feb 27 with 1603 viewsDubtractor

For the avoidance of doubt Gav, I'm not dismissing your concerns, and fully understand anyone with concerns about what happens next with a mystery owner, but just giving my view that I don't see the same risk re the stadium.

Training ground on the other hand.......

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 20:18 - Feb 27 with 1568 viewsGodBlue

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 17:04 - Feb 27 by Ryorry

PR is reasonably central, train station only a few mins away as already pointed out & has a good capacity - why would any new owner want to jettison that for a vastly epensive new stadium? Why wouldn't the Council give permissions for round the year events at PR? It'd be a real money-soinning draw for the town.

That's exactly my point. I would be surprised if they aren't considering a new ground, but if their penchant is for more atmosphere, more of the time, then where the ground already sits is perfect!

Poll: After 778 days, what’s improved since Paul Lambert arrived?

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 20:37 - Feb 27 with 1543 viewsBaaBaaBlue

Just like everyone on this forum, I have some fantastic memories at Portman Rd.. lost my dad not so long ago and we went together many times.. Happy days

But.. I would be happy for us to move to a new purpose built ground (that we'd own?) Decent travel links, food outlets, parking.. I personally feel people on this forum are still stuck in the 70s and 80s and the current ground certainly is.. I know my view is unpopular, but I don't give a toss, it's my view..

Sooner or later Town will move grounds, regardless of anyone's viewpoint.. I say do it now (if this takeover happens)
I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 20:56 - Feb 27 with 1519 viewsstonojnr

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 18:07 - Feb 27 by blueprint

It might be seen as more beneficial to the council though. If the club feel it’s better financially to move then the council may see that it’s better to release the land for potential lucrative development . The covenant on the land is to protect the tenants.

that whole area has been a designated development area by the council for the past 23 years https://www.ipswich.gov.uk/sites/default/files/Portman_Road_area_SPG.pdf

and yet barely anything has changed let alone the council actually doing anything constructive around there in that time.

Archant moved into Portman House with great fanfare 5years ago, it was supposed to trigger the councils plan of that part of town becoming Ipswichs central business district with lots of firms moving into offices like Clare House, or the refurbished Fisons building, with easy walking distance to trains to London.

the place is up for lease again as Archant moved to IP city in Bath St instead.

if the new owners moved the club to a new ground, I dont think the council would have any idea what to do with the stadium or the land.
I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 20:59 - Feb 27 with 1512 viewsBryanPlug

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 20:56 - Feb 27 by stonojnr

that whole area has been a designated development area by the council for the past 23 years https://www.ipswich.gov.uk/sites/default/files/Portman_Road_area_SPG.pdf

and yet barely anything has changed let alone the council actually doing anything constructive around there in that time.

Archant moved into Portman House with great fanfare 5years ago, it was supposed to trigger the councils plan of that part of town becoming Ipswichs central business district with lots of firms moving into offices like Clare House, or the refurbished Fisons building, with easy walking distance to trains to London.

the place is up for lease again as Archant moved to IP city in Bath St instead.

if the new owners moved the club to a new ground, I dont think the council would have any idea what to do with the stadium or the land.

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Login to get fewer ads

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 21:03 - Feb 27 with 1500 viewsjeera

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 20:37 - Feb 27 by BaaBaaBlue

Just like everyone on this forum, I have some fantastic memories at Portman Rd.. lost my dad not so long ago and we went together many times.. Happy days

But.. I would be happy for us to move to a new purpose built ground (that we'd own?) Decent travel links, food outlets, parking.. I personally feel people on this forum are still stuck in the 70s and 80s and the current ground certainly is.. I know my view is unpopular, but I don't give a toss, it's my view..

Sooner or later Town will move grounds, regardless of anyone's viewpoint.. I say do it now (if this takeover happens)

First things first, sorry to hear of your dad's passing; I know from experience that's never easy.

Glad you have those memories though.

But no to the concept of a new ground, and I don't feel that nostalgia is always a bad thing.

Those ties to the past aren't about being stuck, they're about having a connection with all we are isn't it? Those memories are the foundation of our club.

[Post edited 27 Feb 2021 21:04]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 21:14 - Feb 27 with 1481 viewsSpruceMoose

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 21:03 - Feb 27 by jeera

First things first, sorry to hear of your dad's passing; I know from experience that's never easy.

Glad you have those memories though.

But no to the concept of a new ground, and I don't feel that nostalgia is always a bad thing.

Those ties to the past aren't about being stuck, they're about having a connection with all we are isn't it? Those memories are the foundation of our club.

[Post edited 27 Feb 2021 21:04]

I'd be gutted if the few games I get to these days involved a trip to some soulless bowl on the outskirts of town. It would be like supporting Reading.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 21:24 - Feb 27 with 1449 viewsNthQldITFC

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 20:59 - Feb 27 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Municipal dogging site?
Boy racer meets, with plenty of room for burnouts?
Monster car boot sales?

I don't have a lot of faith in government, local or otherwise.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 21:24 - Feb 27 with 1450 viewsBlueastheycome

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 21:14 - Feb 27 by SpruceMoose

I'd be gutted if the few games I get to these days involved a trip to some soulless bowl on the outskirts of town. It would be like supporting Reading.

Do you think Leicester fans thought their ground was soulless on the day they won the premier league ?
I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 21:25 - Feb 27 with 1444 viewsSpruceMoose

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 21:24 - Feb 27 by Blueastheycome

Do you think Leicester fans thought their ground was soulless on the day they won the premier league ?

What have Leicester fans got to do with the way I feel about Town?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 21:30 - Feb 27 with 1432 viewsPhilTWTD

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 17:19 - Feb 27 by GavTWTD

You're not right about the land value. It's worth a fortune to developers.

But because it's worth so much planning wouldn't be a problem out of town.

I don't think I have to worry but I hope it's a question asked.

They have struggled to get interest in developing the land opposite for 20 years, so not sure it's that sought after. Looks like something is going to happen with the car park now though.
I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 21:32 - Feb 27 with 1418 viewsjeera

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 21:24 - Feb 27 by Blueastheycome

Bet you most would have prefered to have seen that at Filbert Street.

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 21:33 - Feb 27 with 1416 viewsfooters

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 21:30 - Feb 27 by PhilTWTD

They have struggled to get interest in developing the land opposite for 20 years, so not sure it's that sought after. Looks like something is going to happen with the car park now though.

Couldn't you two have settled this via PM instead of bothering us?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 21:35 - Feb 27 with 1404 viewsSpruceMoose

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 21:33 - Feb 27 by footers

Couldn't you two have settled this via PM instead of bothering us?

Sitting in the same living room posting at each other.

I can't be the only one who just assumes that Phil and Gav live together, can I?

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 21:36 - Feb 27 with 1399 viewsfooters

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 21:35 - Feb 27 by SpruceMoose

I can't be the only one who just assumes that Phil and Gav live together, can I?

Bert and Ernie.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 21:36 - Feb 27 with 1401 viewsBlueastheycome

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 21:25 - Feb 27 by SpruceMoose

What have Leicester fans got to do with the way I feel about Town?

I was just playing devils advocate a little. Leicester city formerly had Filbert Street and of course they no doubt cherish those memories.. but it’s about the here and now and making new memories and the King Power stadium is forever more synonymous with that premier league winning season.

As said I am just being contrary cause I would hate to leave PR but just trying to see it from potentially another perspective.
I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 21:38 - Feb 27 with 1398 viewsBlueastheycome

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 21:35 - Feb 27 by SpruceMoose

And Mark lives in the cupboard under the stairs
I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 21:44 - Feb 27 with 1379 viewsGeoffSentence

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 18:27 - Feb 27 by blueprint

I agree. There is plenty of room for new development at Portman Road if deemed necessary. To be honest all it would really need is a new Stand to replace the Cobbold and perhaps a new roof on the Pioneer Stand as I still call it. Oh and maybe we could get some of those electronic advertising boards that most clubs have now.

And some pop-up sprinklers so we don't have to run hoses out from the bogs.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 21:49 - Feb 27 with 1354 viewsjeera

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 21:44 - Feb 27 by GeoffSentence

And some pop-up sprinklers so we don't have to run hoses out from the bogs.

And clean water in the bogs.

Rather than just a barrier of doubled-up muslin cloth between the direct feed of flushed loo water and the taps.

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 22:10 - Feb 27 with 1311 viewsDubtractor

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 21:30 - Feb 27 by PhilTWTD

Multi Storey car park isn't it?

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 22:12 - Feb 27 with 1309 viewsPhilTWTD

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 22:10 - Feb 27 by Dubtractor

Multi Storey car park isn't it?

That's part of the plan, to replace the spaces which will be taken up by other stuff, hotel I think.
I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 22:17 - Feb 27 with 1422 viewsDubtractor

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 22:12 - Feb 27 by PhilTWTD

That's part of the plan, to replace the spaces which will be taken up by other stuff, hotel I think.

Its another Borough Council project isn't it?

They have been going big in property and land investments in recent times.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024