Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sunderland 14:25 - Dec 27 with 2863 viewsMetal_Hacker

8 games unbeaten

How the actual fûck !?

Poll: If it were one or the other

Sunderland on 14:27 - Dec 27 with 2545 viewsHerbivore

Because despite some protestations to the contrary this league is dross and you don't have to be very good to do well in it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Sunderland on 14:33 - Dec 27 with 2508 viewsMetal_Hacker

Sunderland on 14:27 - Dec 27 by Herbivore

Because despite some protestations to the contrary this league is dross and you don't have to be very good to do well in it.

Exactly where I was leading

The league is dismal and just demonstrates how poor this season has been in conjunction with the piśś poor attempt made by Cook and his merry men

Depressing

Sunderland on 14:34 - Dec 27 with 2499 viewsChurchman

Any team half way organised with a modicum of talent and guts breezes out of this league. Sunderland and Portsmouth’s last nine games show that.

We have a little bit of talent here and there. Organisation and bottle? Errrr, oh dear. Well hopefully the new management will make a difference.
Sunderland on 14:37 - Dec 27 with 2483 viewsDubtractor

Sunderland on 14:33 - Dec 27 by Metal_Hacker

Exactly where I was leading

The league is dismal and just demonstrates how poor this season has been in conjunction with the piśś poor attempt made by Cook and his merry men

Depressing

Look at Rotherham, or Wycombe, for good examples of average teams that do the basics well. Just being organised gives you a decent chance of success in this division if you have a bit of quality to make the difference too.

Given our obvious quality in attacking positions, we really should be making a much better job of this season!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Sunderland on 14:38 - Dec 27 with 2467 viewsDubtractor

Sunderland on 14:34 - Dec 27 by Churchman

Any team half way organised with a modicum of talent and guts breezes out of this league. Sunderland and Portsmouth’s last nine games show that.

We have a little bit of talent here and there. Organisation and bottle? Errrr, oh dear. Well hopefully the new management will make a difference.

ha, we just made almost the same post.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Sunderland on 14:39 - Dec 27 with 2466 viewsMetal_Hacker

Sunderland on 14:34 - Dec 27 by Churchman

Think you’re spot on there

There’s been a massive lack of drive , muscle and passion throughout - perhaps a couple of exceptions but for the most the desire as a collective hasn’t been there. Couple that with piśś poor , planning and stubbornness it’s no wonder
[Post edited 27 Dec 2021 14:40]

Sunderland on 14:41 - Dec 27 with 2444 viewsParisBlue

Sunderland on 14:37 - Dec 27 by Dubtractor

Look at Rotherham, or Wycombe, for good examples of average teams that do the basics well. Just being organised gives you a decent chance of success in this division if you have a bit of quality to make the difference too.

Given our obvious quality in attacking positions, we really should be making a much better job of this season!

At this level defences will make mistakes and forwards will miss chances. Our problem is we don't make enough chances. Play 2 up front, create more and don't worry so much about the opposition, just score more goals.

Joe Royle had the right idea.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Sunderland on 14:44 - Dec 27 with 2424 viewsHerbivore

Sunderland on 14:37 - Dec 27 by Dubtractor

Our best spell at this level remains the opening 11 or 12 games of 2019/20 where we went 4-4-2 with Skuse and Downes in the middle of the park and Norwood and Jackson up top. We didn't look spectacular but we were solid and had enough quality to score a goal or two and get a result. It all went tits up when we got some more players back fit and started playing Lambingo, tinkering with the formation and line up constantly and overthinking what should have been a pretty straightforward tilt at promotion. Our failure to get the basics right at any time since then has been really quite something.

Login to get fewer ads

Sunderland on 14:54 - Dec 27 with 2375 viewsChurchman

Sunderland on 14:39 - Dec 27 by Metal_Hacker

Think you’re spot on there

There’s been a massive lack of drive , muscle and passion throughout - perhaps a couple of exceptions but for the most the desire as a collective hasn’t been there. Couple that with piśś poor , planning and stubbornness it’s no wonder
[Post edited 27 Dec 2021 14:40]

Stubbornness is interesting and yes, with Cook that was a big factor in his failure. It also struck me how crude he is. The blowing up in front of the camera last season was a crude and stupid response which cost him and nobody else. The bomb squad idea. However much last years mob deserved it, it was crude and wasteful.

Yes, Cook chose to do things his way and has almost certainly lost us a year marooned in this league. We are well rid of him. I should have seen it sooner than I did.
Sunderland on 15:59 - Dec 27 with 2149 viewsMackemLad

We’re a very organized team, and but for having a horrendous November where we lost 3 on the bounce, we’d right now be around 8 points clear at the top of the table. This despite being forced to play kids and having no fit fullbacks since August. If we spend in January, we might finally finish top 2. We’re 1 point behind Rotherham having played the same games, but they have to come to the SOL.

Are we a good team - no. But I don’t think there’s a single good team in this league this year, yourselves definitely included. If your well drilled at this level you’ve got a decent shot. Hope you guys have a great second half of the season and take points from the top teams!
Sunderland on 16:10 - Dec 27 with 2101 viewsbilllm

Shows How crap we've been,
Sunderland on 17:02 - Dec 27 with 1969 viewsDavoIPB

Sunderland on 15:59 - Dec 27 by MackemLad

We’re a very organized team, and but for having a horrendous November where we lost 3 on the bounce, we’d right now be around 8 points clear at the top of the table. This despite being forced to play kids and having no fit fullbacks since August. If we spend in January, we might finally finish top 2. We’re 1 point behind Rotherham having played the same games, but they have to come to the SOL.

Are we a good team - no. But I don’t think there’s a single good team in this league this year, yourselves definitely included. If your well drilled at this level you’ve got a decent shot. Hope you guys have a great second half of the season and take points from the top teams!

No, sorry you were not well organised against us at the sol. So so lucky to win that one. We deserved three points and were by far the better football playing side. At Portman road again you couldn't handle us first half and but for Penney it would have been 2-0. We just switched off a bit in second half and so gave a goal away.
Sunderland on 17:12 - Dec 27 with 1930 viewsMackemLad

Sunderland on 17:02 - Dec 27 by DavoIPB

No, sorry you were not well organised against us at the sol. So so lucky to win that one. We deserved three points and were by far the better football playing side. At Portman road again you couldn't handle us first half and but for Penney it would have been 2-0. We just switched off a bit in second half and so gave a goal away.

How were we not well organized? I think you could have played another 90 against us at the SOL and not had a shot on target! Possession is great but you had zero threat, and that was down to discipline from our team. If you played the same game against most other clubs then you win that game easily. Not sure on your definition of well organized - don’t mistake that for good team, which I have already said we are not!

At PR, in front of a full house, the new owners and new manager lined up, you started great. As would most teams. I’m pleased you gave us a break in the second half. Why do you think you didn’t win that game against such an inferior team?
Sunderland on 17:15 - Dec 27 with 1911 viewsLankHenners

What everyone already said plus they're managed by Lee Johnson so could well be about to hit a streak of not winning for 8 games or so.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Sunderland on 17:16 - Dec 27 with 1897 viewsjayessess

Sunderland on 15:59 - Dec 27 by MackemLad

Both times we played you I thought you were pretty decent defensively, even when not playing well.

We were on top in terms of territory and possession for 160 minutes across the 2 games and you gave up how many very clear chances in that time? 2? Don't have to be great footballing side if you're capable of that.

If we could do it we sure as hell wouldn't be 11th.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Sunderland on 17:26 - Dec 27 with 1861 viewsFightingEssex

Sunderland on 14:44 - Dec 27 by Herbivore

Our best spell at this level remains the opening 11 or 12 games of 2019/20 where we went 4-4-2 with Skuse and Downes in the middle of the park and Norwood and Jackson up top. We didn't look spectacular but we were solid and had enough quality to score a goal or two and get a result. It all went tits up when we got some more players back fit and started playing Lambingo, tinkering with the formation and line up constantly and overthinking what should have been a pretty straightforward tilt at promotion. Our failure to get the basics right at any time since then has been really quite something.

Lambo killed our momentum by taking those international breaks. We’d have won most those games, picked up points while our squad was still fit and we’d have gone up Champions on PPG.

Cook performed infinitely worse than Lambert and with twice the resources.

Poll: Next Ipswich Town manager?

Sunderland on 18:08 - Dec 27 with 1764 viewsGarv

Sunderland on 17:02 - Dec 27 by DavoIPB

The closest we came to scoring was a shot straight at the keeper. We didn't deserve to win, and when you're keeper does what Walton did you can argue you don't deserve to draw either. The pen was ridiculous.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Sunderland on 18:35 - Dec 27 with 1695 viewstractorboy1978

Sunderland on 17:12 - Dec 27 by MackemLad

How were we not well organized? I think you could have played another 90 against us at the SOL and not had a shot on target! Possession is great but you had zero threat, and that was down to discipline from our team. If you played the same game against most other clubs then you win that game easily. Not sure on your definition of well organized - don’t mistake that for good team, which I have already said we are not!

At PR, in front of a full house, the new owners and new manager lined up, you started great. As would most teams. I’m pleased you gave us a break in the second half. Why do you think you didn’t win that game against such an inferior team?

Why is Johnson so unpopular? He's done a great job from where I'm sitting. Much to my surprise I might add as I thought he was pretty sh!te at Bristol City given the backing he had.
Sunderland on 18:38 - Dec 27 with 1674 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

If all there games have been the way our 2 games with them!!

Luck s with them!
Sunderland on 18:49 - Dec 27 with 1630 viewsMetal_Hacker

Sunderland on 17:16 - Dec 27 by jayessess

Both times we played you I thought you were pretty decent defensively, even when not playing well.

We were on top in terms of territory and possession for 160 minutes across the 2 games and you gave up how many very clear chances in that time? 2? Don't have to be great footballing side if you're capable of that.

If we could do it we sure as hell wouldn't be 11th.

Not sure it results in how organised you lot are as opposed to how unorganised our lot are

The first game was pretty much of a joke to be fair albeit granted , we didn’t create massively. The game at PR doesn’t illustrate SAFC being organised but just demonstrates my opinion of how unorganised we were / are

Headless chickens and busy fools springs to mind. We made , in both games , the supposed easy things very complicated and difficult

Don’t confuse being “organised” with “confidence “

Sunderland on 19:08 - Dec 27 with 1580 viewsMackemLad

Sunderland on 18:35 - Dec 27 by tractorboy1978

Why is Johnson so unpopular? He's done a great job from where I'm sitting. Much to my surprise I might add as I thought he was pretty sh!te at Bristol City given the backing he had.

I like him actually although he does come out with a lot of David Brentisms in his interviews. But our fans have little patience, and a lot sadly think we’re too big a club to be in this league, so of course when we’re not 10 points clear at the top, they lash out. It think the pressure they’ve put on the club in previous years was the reason we haven’t got out this league to be honest, especially in Jack Ross’s season. We have no stand out players and no right to win any game, but our fans don’t accept that.

If we had your seasons results, there’s no way we’d have kept Cook past September. That’s one thing I’ve been really impressed with your support, still backing Cook for so long when things really didn’t seem to be improving results wise at all. I think that you sacked cook around 6 weeks too late, but how your club is still so divided on whether he should have had a full season or not really stands your fans out. That loyalty (IMO) has probably ruined your season though.
Sunderland on 19:30 - Dec 27 with 1525 viewsHerbivore

Sunderland on 19:08 - Dec 27 by MackemLad

I like him actually although he does come out with a lot of David Brentisms in his interviews. But our fans have little patience, and a lot sadly think we’re too big a club to be in this league, so of course when we’re not 10 points clear at the top, they lash out. It think the pressure they’ve put on the club in previous years was the reason we haven’t got out this league to be honest, especially in Jack Ross’s season. We have no stand out players and no right to win any game, but our fans don’t accept that.

If we had your seasons results, there’s no way we’d have kept Cook past September. That’s one thing I’ve been really impressed with your support, still backing Cook for so long when things really didn’t seem to be improving results wise at all. I think that you sacked cook around 6 weeks too late, but how your club is still so divided on whether he should have had a full season or not really stands your fans out. That loyalty (IMO) has probably ruined your season though.

I hope some of our fans read and digest your post, mate. Some are making out like we're a bunch of entitled brats because we thought a failing manager could have no complaints at getting the boot.

Sunderland on 23:15 - Dec 27 with 1293 viewsDavoIPB

Sunderland on 18:49 - Dec 27 by Metal_Hacker

Not sure it results in how organised you lot are as opposed to how unorganised our lot are

The first game was pretty much of a joke to be fair albeit granted , we didn’t create massively. The game at PR doesn’t illustrate SAFC being organised but just demonstrates my opinion of how unorganised we were / are

Headless chickens and busy fools springs to mind. We made , in both games , the supposed easy things very complicated and difficult

Don’t confuse being “organised” with “confidence “

Yep exactly this. Sunderland were poor defensively on their left side. Burns just ran past them to time and time again. The only reason we didn't win was just a lack of c of composure in final third. If penney had any composure it would have been 2-1.

At the sol I would have been embarrassed to be a Sunderland fan. Outplayed for 80 mins and only had two shots on goal. One of which was a mistake by the opposition defence and the other a joke of decision by the ref.
Sunderland on 23:31 - Dec 27 with 1270 viewsDavoIPB

Sunderland on 17:12 - Dec 27 by MackemLad

Sorry it really wasn't. It was down to us having only one up front and no idea how to reach that target. If we had played ball to feet I think it would have been a different story.

At portman road we outplayed you most of the game. Your midfield was non existent in the first half. Defence got beaten again and again on left side and only our finishing and final ball were the problem. You carried a threat second half for a while because of how narrow our defence was with 3 cb's and wingers pushed forward.

Edmundson nearly ran the length of the pitch right through your midfield. I can't believe Sunderlands result recently with how they played against Ipswich. If we had a decent coach (as I believe we have now) and played with some ideas it would have been a different story.
Sunderland on 23:37 - Dec 27 with 1258 viewsMackemLad

Sunderland on 23:15 - Dec 27 by DavoIPB

Yep exactly this. Sunderland were poor defensively on their left side. Burns just ran past them to time and time again. The only reason we didn't win was just a lack of c of composure in final third. If penney had any composure it would have been 2-1.

At the sol I would have been embarrassed to be a Sunderland fan. Outplayed for 80 mins and only had two shots on goal. One of which was a mistake by the opposition defence and the other a joke of decision by the ref.

Embarrassed to have beaten you 2-0? You really weren’t that good at the SOL but obviously your welcome to your opinion. Our forum had a post about how poor you were that day: https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/ipswich.1565152/

I don’t share that opinion mind, but I do believe you were completely toothless because we were organized. I’d fancy any hardworking team to take something off you under Cook, there’s a reason why you’re 18 points off the pace at the halfway point, and thinking you’ve been mugged by the likes of Sunderland, Accrington Stanley and Barrow. You shouldn’t be where you are with your players but you are where you deserve to be right now
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024